Start by marking “Modern Witchcraft: Goddess Empowerment for the Kick-Ass Woman” as Want to Read:
Modern Witchcraft: Goddess Empowerment for the Kick-Ass Woman

Modern Witchcraft: Goddess Empowerment for the Kick-Ass Woman

Deborah Blake's Modern Witchcraft is a guidebook to witchcraft as a female-empowering religion, including detailed instructions on how to practice self-care in today's society through goddess worship and magic.

In a time when most formal religions are on the wane, Wicca is said to be the fastest growing religion in North America. What is it that draws people to Witchcraft,
Published July 7th 2020 by St. Martin's Essentials

To ask other readers questions about Modern Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Witchcraft

Start your review of Modern Witchcraft: Goddess Empowerment for the Kick-Ass Woman
Larissa Lee
First Glance:
I was curious about this book, as I haven't picked up many beginner-focused books lately. I figured it would be a good peek into that side of available witchy literature, and luckily it was available on NetGalley as a reviewable ARC to request. I'm not receiving anything for this review, other than having a digital copy of the book in my possession.

Positive Bits:
This book is for those interested in goddess worship and Wicca. I'll get into that shortly. However, from that perspect
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
This book was an excellent book for anyone interested in Goddess worship and empowerment. Blake does a wonderful job at teaching beginners how to embrace, interact, and connect with the Goddesses. This book discusses how to meet and greet the Goddesses, tune into nature, how to apply Goddess worship to daily life, types of witches (i.e. solitary, group, family), adapting to the current political and cultural climate, using meditations, affirmations and spells, and some appendices of useful suppl ...more
Dana
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a good, basic down to earth beginners guide to witchcraft, especially for connecting with the divine feminine aspect.

The book touches upon cultural appropriation and the importance of the triple goddess and honoring the different phases of life, including embracing your age/crone phase just as much as the other phases. It then goes into detailing numerous goddesses and how to connect with them.

Next, the book goes into how to tune into the natural world through the Wheel of the Year, lun
Regina Mastrogiacomo
I found this book very easy to understand if you want to learn about witches. The book talks about the elements you might need if you want to practice rituals and how to form your intention when you might need help from the universe. I’ve always had a fascination about witches and this book explains a lot about the craft.

I want to thank St. Martin Press and Netgalley for this advance copy of this book.
Andrea
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchcraft
This is by far one of the best witchcraft related books I've read in a while. Everything is very easy to follow. And the author gives out a playful yet motherly/teacher voice to her book. Its amazing. I love it. And I know I will be coming back to it. Its an essential book for my witch journey bookcase ^_^ ...more
Tracie R
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgally
An easy read if you want to learn about witches and for those interested in Wicca. I enjoyed this book and recommend it for anyone interested in this subject.
Regina Mastrogiacomo
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modern Witchcraft earns 5+/5 Goddess Blessings...Engaging, Informative, Entertaining!

“Belief is not restrained by culture or DNA.”

One’s spirituality can often provide an opportunity for a unique personal journey: a search for knowledge, community, connection, and a sense of inner peace. This search has brought me to explore the practical and spiritual elements of witchcraft through Deborah Blake’s book on Modern Witchcraft—Goddess Empowerment for the Kick-Ass Woman. My personal journey began wit
Beth
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the Witchy way of life - easy to read, appropriately high-level with pointers to more in-depth sources, good writing style. I enjoyed it!
Christina
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An informative and intriguing book that was easy to read and understand. I highly recommend this book for those starting out on this path. One of the best reads on witchcraft in 2020. I voluntarily read this book via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Crystal
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so thankful that I was able to review this title from NetGalley. As a practicing witch for almost 20 years, I’ve seen a lot of bad books come out pretending to educate others. This book is the real thing, it’s obvious from page one that Ms. Blake has a wealth of knowledge on the topic of Wicca, Witchcraft, and Paganism. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading along and love the fact that she doesn’t talk down to the reader, rather she educates. It’s obvious that she has been practicing for years ...more
SandraB
First of all, I'd like to thank St. Martin's Press and Goodreads for an advance copy of this book. I am choosing not to give it a star rating because this isn't my normal genre of book. I am not a witch; I am not religious. I am a scientist, but I do believe in spirituality. I was curious about witchcraft and the history behind it. I love stories that revolve around witches. I love nature. This book sounded interesting. So I entered the giveaway and won a copy. I did enjoy it and found it inform ...more
Erika Skarlupka
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really fun, inclusive overview of the various aspects of modern witchcraft. A great starting point for anyone curious or wanting to learn.
Crystal
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book was very easy to read and I thought it was a great beginner book. I also really enjoyed the focus on feminine goddess worship.
Jennifer M.
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book on witchcraft and many of the things that go along with learning about the craft. Blake takes you through many of the Goddesses and how to be respectful. As someone who is new and slowly learning about the ways of witchcraft, this is an excellent book to help get started. There is a lot of useful and practical information. Very happy overall!

Modern Witchcraft publishes 7.7.2020.

5/5 Stars
Kay Porterfield
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Modern Witchcraft: Goddess Empowerment for the Kick-Ass woman by Deborah Blake lives up to its ambitious name and then some. Blake, the creator of the Everyday Witch Tarot and Oracle as well as several nonfiction books on Witchcraft and a supernatural fiction series, clearly and succinctly covers the basics of her topic. In her empowering style, she dispels the mistaken beliefs that many hold about the craft, explaining that those who practice it use magic, honor their connection to the earth, a ...more
Kim
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - I was not sure what to expect when I received a copy to review. I think that regardless of where we each are on our spiritual path, this is a great book to help us along the way. The exploration of Goddess Empowerment is something I believe each modern woman -regardless of witch, Wiccan, Christian, or any kind of spiritualist can embrace. Thousands of years ago Pagan worship was about nature and the divine feminine, and we, over the course of the years, have strayed ...more
Ri
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I must spend hours a month bouncing about website to website trying to find information on Witchcraft. Not witchcraft in the sense of the lore of a crone and cauldron so to speak but true genuine camaraderie in which I can understand my need to ground myself within nature and the Goddesses. This book gave me that. It was one of the better ones that I have ever read which after two decades I really needed it. Some of this I have read before but this truly was helpful. I especially appreciated tha ...more
Csimplot Simplot
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Stephanie
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC for review
Can I just say how wonderful this book is? And how I wish it had been available roughly 20 or 30 years ago?
A lot of this is information I knew but to have it all in one book, easily understood prose, no weird formal language that gets tiring after a paragraph, just made a lot of thought clarify and solidify for me. For that alone I can't recommend this book highly enough. I am on my second reading so once done, I will add more to my review but this is a book anyone loo
Sheri
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and found it to be readily understandable for the beginner witch practitioner. The book covers elements and items that you will require if you want to practice rituals and what items, thoughts and philosophies you may require as help from the universe. This was an excellent basic first book and I recommend it to new practitioners of the Craft.

I would like to thank Deborah Blake, St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book and exchange for a fair and
Freyjasdottir
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was given a copy by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
A basic guide to Wiccan witchcraft for women. A major issue I have with it is the author conflates witchcraft with Wicca. The Threefold Law and Law of Return are not "Pagan" ethics, they are specifically Wiccan. Many of the things she claims that all witches do (like celebrating the esbats) are important to the religion of Wicca but not to all witches, who may be a part of any religion or non religion.
I've certainly read worse boo
Paula Howard
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Being raised strict Catholic, as I grew older I knew that it was not for me. I know a few people who practice Wicca and have seriously been considering moving in that direction myself. I found this a wonderful and informative read, one that can help guide me in my journey and help me with the path I have chosen. I will definitely turn back to this as I continue down that path, going deeper into the practice as a solitary witch, who turns to the divine goddess for my spiritual needs.
Chloe Cuthbert
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent primer for any woman interested in learning more about their connection to the Divine Feminine, goddess power, and paganism.
While traditional church attendance is in a decline, the return to our roots rises. This book can help you figure out where to start and how to tap in to your own power.
Emily Smith
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It was easy to understand and not overwhelming for someone new to goddess worship. I liked how Blake gives several suggestions on approaching goddesses, creating positive change, and dealing with the current times. The book had a very intuitive feel to it and I enjoyed the smattering of humor here and there. Deborah Blake is like the Bob Ross of Witchcraft!
Michelle Willms
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy to read and understand book on the basics of modern witchcraft. It covers everything from understanding Wicca, praying to Goddess (or God), goddess worship. There's a section on understanding some of the individual goddesses and how to pray to them, as well as sections on meditation and spells. This is an exceptionally well-written basic guide for the new or well-read Witch. ...more
CR
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing journey into the feminine divine. I loved what this gave the reader and I would totally recommend this story for those who are wanting a better connection to the natural world. This book takes a no nonsense approach to the world of witchcraft.
Kiersten
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this book to use for research into a novel I am writing, as I wanted a perspective on modern witchcraft in practice and in theory. This book was helpful and does not disappoint. I recommended it to a friend, who signed up for NetGalley just to get a sneak peek at this book!
Jaime
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! There is a lot of great information in this book, including tools, herbs, candles, and a lot more. Witchcraft with a modern spin, for beginners and old hats alike.
Sheila Lord
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect , if your interest in Witchcraft..... I found this very informative Including all kinds of spells and techniques ....was exactly what I was looking for

• Thief River Falls
  • The Green Witch's Grimoire: Your Complete Guide to Creating Your Own Book of Natural Magic
  • Warmaidens (Gravemaidens, #2)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)
  • The Redpoint Crux
  • Sucks To Be Me (First Fangs Club #1)
  • Goddess Power: A Kids' Book of Greek and Roman Mythology: 10 Empowering Tales of Legendary Women
  • Poems to See by: A Comic Artist Interprets Great Poetry
  • A Thousand Letters (The Austens, #2)
  • Carnal Sanctuary: Savannah's Awakening Part I (Savannah's Awakening #1)
  • Deadly Politics (Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller, #7)
  • Never-Contented Things
  • Thicker than Blood (Zoe Bentley Mystery #3)
  • The Last Thing She Ever Did
  • Keep This to Yourself
  • Get off on the Pain (Pain, #1)
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
Deborah is the author of twelve non-fiction books on modern witchcraft and a tarot and oracle decks from Llewellyn and the Baba Yaga series, The Broken Rider series, and the Veiled Magic series (mostly from Berkley) as well as a few stand-alone novels.

Deborah lives in a 130 year old farmhouse in upstate NY with multiple cats, and runs an artists' cooperative shop when she's not writing. She believ

News & Interviews