Start by marking “The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

The Lost City

(The Omte Origins #1)

New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking returns to the magical world of the Trylle with The Lost City, the first book in the final Trylle arc.

Nestled along the bluffs of the forested coast lays the secret kingdom of the Omte—a realm filled with wonder...and as many secrets.

Ulla Tulin was left abandoned in an isolated Kanin city as a baby, taken in by strangers an
Published July 7th 2020 by Wednesday Books

Start your review of The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)
Irena BookDustMagic
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Amanda Hocking, and her original Trylle trilogy is one of my favourite series of all time.
I was really looking forward to be back in this world.
However, for one reason or other, this time around, I didn't feel it.
It was like the world Hocking created was different, and here lots of things were missing.

Let me make it clear, this world trolls live in has different kingdoms that look differen (maybe kingdoms is wrong world, but there are different tribes that live and look differently from e
Hillary
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: low-fantasy

My initial excitement for this release has completely died down, unfortunately. I thought this was going to be the start of a new great ya series in the Trylle world, but it ended up really letting me down. I don’t know if it’s because I read the first two series so long ago as a teen, but I still remember really loving them and being surprised by how immersive they were. This book completely swerves away from these good aspects.

First of all, is this even a real fantasy? Most of the ti
Carrie
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Lost City by Amanda Hocking is the first book in the new young adult, urban fantasy The Omte Origins series. While this is a new series by this author it takes place within the same world from her Trylle series of the same genre.

Ulla Tulin is a young, nineteen year old, troll who has no idea who her family is since she was abandoned as a baby. The family who took her in told her all they new of the woman who left her one stormy night but those facts aren’t much to go on.

Since Ulla became a t
Kai (CuriousCompass)
ETA 3: 4.5 stars for a cast of characters I love, an enchanting setting, expanded worldbuilding I enjoyed, and a cute romance! The only drawback for me is that the final act could have used more action!

The Lost City is part of a trilogy of trilogies; the Trylle Trilogy, The Kanin Chronicles, and now The Omte Origins, each dealing with a young woman who is part of a different tribe of trolls. The Trylle books star Wendy, a young woman who is heir to the throne of the Trylle, and was raised as a c
Dianne
All she wanted was to find her parents and focus on her job, but Ulla Turin, abandoned as a baby, mixed blood troll, would find so much more, love, friendships and the possibility she is royalty.

Amanda Hocking’s THE LOST CITY has all the promise of her Trylle trilogy, and readers of that series will find much to like about this spinoff. Details that are deep and vivid, main characters that grow throughout and a plethora of plots to unravel. It was almost too busy for me. There were times I wante
Salena
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Isela
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sending me an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Ulla Tulin is a nineteen year old girl who was abandoned by an Omte warrior inside an inn. The family managing the inn took her in and raised her.

When she was old enough to leave them, she got a job working as a nanny taking care of five children.

The one thing she’s always wanted is to find out who her parents are. Fortunately for her,
Kelly
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I must confess I've never read a book by Amanda Hocking so this was my first time discovering the magical world of Trylle where there are all kinds of trolls but not only.

In The Lost City, you'll meet Ulla, a girl that was left as a baby. Kind strangers took her and raised her while telling her stories about how she came to be with them. One day, an opportunity arises and she's able to have an internship where she might discover who her parents where and where she came from. There, she'll meet
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Wednesday Books for the advanced copy and the opportunity to participate in the blog tour for The Lost City by Amanda Hocking! Before I jump into the review, here are the book’s quick facts!

Title: The Lost City
Series: Omte Origins #1, in the world of the Trylle
Author: Amanda Ticking
Publisher & Release: Wednesday Books, July 7th 2020
Length: 384 pages
Rating & recommend: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ yes for fans of modern fantasy

This is my first book by Hocking and I had no trouble picking up the stor
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, hn
2 stars.

Full disclosure: I skimmed some chapters around the middle so I could get to the end faster.

The Lost City was not the best reintroduction to Hocking's work, personally. I loved her earlier stuff, Trylle included, but I didn't connect with this book. One thing I did like was the chapter lengths--they were all pretty short and easy to read and made it so the pace held steady and was pretty fast throughout the story.

Everything else was not the best. There were a lot of info-dumps and tel
Permanently_Booked
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
I have not read the Trylle Trilogy before diving into this spinoff (though I own it). Thankfully I didn’t feel like I missed out on anything. Just an FYI though, I have seen some reviews indicate this may have some spoilers for those who have not finished the trilogy. Hocking did a wonderful job keeping the reader informed and making this feel like its own book for me though.

Ulla is a mixed breed troll. She was abandoned as a baby and has always wondered who the mysterious woman was that left h
Becca (Horners_book_corner)
Have you read any of the Trylle Trilogy? if not, you should! Amanda Hocking's world building is brilliant and she has outdone herself yet again with the first book in the new Omte Origins trilogy, which will be the last installment set in the world of Trylle. I found that Ulla was a very relatable character and I loved the relationship she develops with Pan. The book sensitively explores issues around abandonment, identity and finding oneself, all set within a fantastical world with an interesti ...more
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
She arrived during a snowstorm, carrying a dagger befitting for a warrior and sought shelter at the Iskyla lodging. Before dawn, the Omte warrior had departed, leaving behind a newborn child with the elderly couple. Ullaakuut Tulin is an orphan living with her new adoptive family in Förening, the Trylle capital, assisting with their children and continuing the search for the woman who abandoned her as a child. Learning ancient Scandinavian languages has guided the eighteen year old to an apprent ...more
Amanda
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review: 4 Stars
You can also read my review here!

The Lost City is the first book in The Omte Origins series, which is a spin off of the Trylle series, it can be read without having previously read the Trylle series, but fans of the Trylle series may appreciate it more. As soon as I saw that a spin off was coming out I was so excited. I couldn’t wait until closer to publication to read this book because I was so happy to have gotten an ARC and needed to read it right away, so I did hold my review
Meigan
Ulla is just a troll trying to find her place in this world and when given the opportunity to access resources that’ll hopefully point her in the right direction of where she comes from, she jumps at the chance, even though it means leaving the only family that she’s ever known. Traveling to a secret city that holds the Omte kingdom, Ulla begins her journey to find out who she is and where she comes from, and what she learns is certainly not what she expected.

THE LOST CITY is the first in a new
Melissa
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know Amanda Hocking prior to reading this book. I only knew yesterday that she had another trilogy in the same ... then this one, and I know, seeing how I devoured this book, that she will become one of my star authors.

I adore Ulla, she's a fascinating young woman with a past that leave many unanswered questions, to which she does all she can to have the answers. Or some answers at least. She was abandoned as a baby, and she wants to know who is her mother, if she was the woman that le
Fallon
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Amanda's writing and if you have not read her books now is the perfect time to dive into her books. The pacing on this one was a little slower than the rest of the books in the other series. This book was a book that drew us into getting to know the characters and expanding the world. The action just started at the very end. It definitely left me wanting more.

The Lost City was like a delicious appetizer and I can not wait for the main course and dessert. The great thing is the release of
Tish
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars A YA fantasy set in a world already known to Hocking fans, but this is the first of her works I've read, so I can't compare. It's the story of Ulla, a part-troll woman who was abandoned as a baby and is now looking for information about her family and where she comes from. I thought the story was pretty original and a pleasant and easy read, but nothing really happened. The story seemed a bit shallow, like it was building up to something, but it never really did. Maybe in the sequel.

Th
Rayne ♥
Jan 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
I really enjoyed "Switched" so I was so excited when this arrived. I can't wait to read this!

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a review copy. All opinions are my own.

instagram | goodreads
Elliot A
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I have a confession to make. I haven’t had the opportunity or time to check out Hocking’s Trylle Trilogy or Kanin Chronicles and I think that led to some confusion when I read this book, The Lost City.

I felt very out of place and could tell that I was missing the bigger picture of this story. Nonetheless, I will give my honest review of Hocking’s newest book.

Let’s start with the characters. They were all v
Amanda
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
[I received a digital arc from netgalley for an honest review]

I've read almost all of Amanda Hocking's books. The Lost City makes book 20 of hers that I've read and her writing style in this has the same feel as all her other work. The Lost City is the start of a new trilogy that takes places in her Trylle universe. Therefore, while it stands strong on its own, fans of her previous series ( The Trylle Trilogy & The Kanin Chronicles) will recognize some names and faces the main character comes ac
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am excited to be returning to the world of the Trylle Series. Trylle was my first series from Amanda Hocking, so there is quite a bit of nostalgia surrounding it for me.

From the opening page, The Lost City is easy to read and engaging. With just enough back story woven in for it to flow easily. The characters are fantastic, complex with their own back stories being smoothely integrated into the book.

Towards the middle of the book, there is a lull where nothing is happening, just Ulla going to
Tricia
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, ya, fantasy, netgalley
So I have yet to read the original Trylle books but when I came across this spinoff start to a new set of books it sounded good and I wanted to jump right in. I don't know if reading the first set might have increased my enjoyment in this one, probably a bit. I did still enjoy it for the most part but I would have liked to see more action. The story kept a rather slow pace and that could make it feel like it was dragging at times.

I liked Ulla well enough. As a protagonist she's rather interestin
Olivia
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
THE LOST CITY is a highly engaging YA fantasy read about Ulla, a troll. Trolls are secretive creatures who live hidden from, but sometimes interacting with, humans. Ulla was left at an Inn when she was an infant and has always wanted to know more about where she came from and what her ancestry is. Now that she is an adult, she has secured a internship at Mimirin, where they conduct research into troll ancestry and may be able to help her figure out who her parents were.

Once she arrives, she lear
Michele
The Lost City was my first read by Amanda Hocking. She has quite a vivid and boundless imagination. The world she has created here was pretty impressive. This story follows our main character, Ulla who'd been abandoned as a baby. She's on a quest to find her parents and understand more about her lineage. This trek takes her to the Mimirin, where she has an internship and hopes to also research her personal history.

My understanding is that this is a new series which follows her other previous se
Fanna
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
August 03, 2020: The Lost City gracefully finds a woman's true identity through a journey of belonging and not belonging in a world where she doesn't hold any knowledge about her parents. In an intricately built world that incorporates technological fantasy into complex history, this young woman is supported by a sweet boy and placed in a romantic trope of love triangles by bringing a mysterious stranger to the equation.

Despite serving quite a few interesting bits and leaving the readers hangin
Ashton Reed
Jul 01, 2020 is currently reading it
Shelves: come-back-to
ALERT: If you are planning to read the Trylle trilogy, DO NOT read this first!!!!!! I received an arc of The Lost City and have not finished Trylle; I skipped over it to read The Lost City before it releases. I got majorly spoiled within the first two chapters, and I am very upset. HEED MY WARNING!
WTF Are You Reading?
Amanda Hocking's The Lost City offers lovers of her Trylle series yet another journey into that world.
But this time through the eyes of a young troll raised by a human family. Who later comes to make her home among trolls. As a nanny.
Only to leave that family when give the opportunity to intern as a transcriptionist in the Mimirin.
Which is essentially the great archive of Troll history.
Where she will also have the chance to possibly discover the identities of her parents. As well as adding her i
Eleni
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 star
Thank you so much to Pan Macmillan Aus for gifting me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This book was such a fun and light read. It honestly surpassed my expectations that I originally had and I was pleasantly surpassed by how much I ended up enjoying this.

Ulla as a main character was very average and really had little development, but the fast paced and unique plot is what really made the story for me. Ulla is in search of her true family, as
Blue
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more...
Bookstagram

Website

Thank you Macmillan Publishing for this book in exchange for an honest review

Not going to lie I was super pumped to read this book as soon as it was announced!
I love spin off books that give us a chance to travel back into a world that we love and know but this one kinda missed the mark for me.
Ulla, our main character was pragmatic, which wasn’t convincing for me? Though she spends a majority of the book trying to figure out where she came from, who she i
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den (Simon Thorn, #1)
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Last Wish of Sasha Cade
  • Fading
  • Last Message (Adam #1; Seven, #7)
  • Darkness
  • The Survival List
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Reverie
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Boy Giant: Son of Gulliver
  • Jane Anonymous (Jane Anonymous #1)
  • Green & Gold
  • Savage Delight (Lovely Vicious, #2)
  • Strange Weather in Tokyo
See top shelves…
AMANDA HOCKING is the author of over twenty young adult novels, including the New York Times bestselling Trylle Trilogy and Kanin Chronicles. Her love of pop culture and all things paranormal influence her writing. She spends her time in Minnesota, taking care of her menagerie of pets and working on her next book.

Several of her books have made the New York Times Bestsellers list. Her zombie series

The Omte Origins (3 books)
  • The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)
  • The Ever After (The Omte Origins, #3)