Start by marking “Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)” as Want to Read:
Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)

Axiom's End

(Noumena #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  12,519 ratings  ·  2,268 reviews
Truth is a human right.

Published July 21st 2020 by St. Martin's Press
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Axiom's End, please sign up.
Lindsay Ellis Hi James - Titan Press, not St. Martin's Press, is handling publishing for the UK, Australia and NZ - you should be able to find it on their website!…moreHi James - Titan Press, not St. Martin's Press, is handling publishing for the UK, Australia and NZ - you should be able to find it on their website!(less)
Cabodian I was also leery of reading this one as I was worried the books would be too similar, and I was sick of the characters in Remarkable Things by the mid…moreI was also leery of reading this one as I was worried the books would be too similar, and I was sick of the characters in Remarkable Things by the middle of the second book, but still enjoying the plot. I would argue Axiom's End has a much different tone than Hank Green's novels. I loved the ideas presented in Green's books, but I couldn't stand the irreverent attitudes of the characters. Axiom's End and Remarkable Things do present some similar themes, but I found Ellis more serious, and thus enjoyed it much more. I can't recommend Axiom's End enough.(less)

·  12,519 ratings  ·  2,268 reviews

Start your review of Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)
J Rhodes
Aug 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
I feel like I'm one of the few people reading this book who wasn't already part of Ellis' fanbase. This book popped onto my radar when Lindsay Ellis posted a video on her channel about the difficulty she had, even with her platform of thousands and thousands and thousands of subscribers, in getting a publishing deal.

So, that immediately meant one of two things - her book would be a gem that the publishing houses were passing on because they were dumb and elitist, or that the book simply wasn't g
Tori (InToriLex)
I was thoroughly underwhelmed by this book. Cora is a protagonist I could just not connect with. Many of her choices made me to want to throw my book across the room. While this is described as similar to arrival Cora is a interpreter who is aided by implant in her brain the translates alien language. This didn't require her to learn anything in particular about their language and the fact that she studies linguistic was a red herring that led no where.

While this book has creative descriptions
Dave
Axiom's End channels that curiosity we have about what First Contact would look like. And, as we found out in ET, in Close Encounters, in Strangern a Strange Land, and in Ender's Game, when they finally arrive (or return), the aliens will be nothing like we ever imagined and our interactions with them will be like nothing we conceived. On the way, we explore the very nature of governmental cover-ups (hello, Area 51) and the nature of truth and to what extent is omission like lying.

Axiom's End s
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

"Truth is a human right."

Reading this book felt like a fever dream, to be completely honest.

So, what's this book about?
It’s fall 2007. A well-timed leak has revealed that the US government might have engaged in first contact. Cora Sabino is doing everything she can to avoid the whole mess, since the force driving the controversy is her whistleblower father. Even though Cora hasn’t spoken to him in years, his celebrity has caught the attention of the press, the Internet, the papa
Greg Chatham
Jul 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
This was just embarrassing.

Overwritten and obtuse, Lindsay Ellis' first novel is in desperate need of a complete editorial overhaul. From the amateurish insistence on passive voice...

"The voice belonged to Demi."

...to the cartoonish depictions of the protagonist's emotions...

"Cora thundered, her words reverberating through the trees, through the atmosphere, through the entire galaxy, through space, through time and eternity."

...to the downright bizarre descriptions of violence...

"The walls of he
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
This emotionally drained me. Is it because of the thoughtful take on the early noughties' political atmosphere, or is it due to the well-written characters, fully fleshed out and relatable in their struggles?

Nope. It's because inter-species romance is my crack and it makes me cry every time.

gif Fanart mass effect femshep garrus vakarian Shakarian Commander Garrus Romance Hyojin Bae •

Jokes aside I've seen this book being called The Three-Body Problem For Girls, which is a hilariously bad take. I see this trend among "serious book critics" which spins the narrative that female protagonist
ALet
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
★★★ /5
This was a really fast read.
I loved the writing style, it was really engaging and easy to understand, not too flowery but also not too dry. I enjoyed the main character point of view, her action and thought process were interesting to follow. Sadly, I didn’t enjoy the plot, in my opinion it was a little bit too predictable.
Alena Reading
Check out my new Booktube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbEa...

I feel so bad for not liking this book. You see, I've been watching Lindsay's channel for years, I love her essays and humor, she is super smart and entertaining. But, unfortunately, her debut novel didn't work for me at all.

My main problem was with the main character Cora. She is young, lost, inexperienced, and scared all the time. For most of the book she is constantly told what to do and taken to different places eithe
Emily Vanderwerff
Lindsay is a friend, so I shouldn't review this in any real sense, because I am in this book's corner. But I think it's a lot of fun, with a really involving plot and incredible amounts of forward momentum. The central relationship between human and alien is really well done, and I ended up being surprisingly involved in it.

Anyway, read it! Enrich my friend!
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
Lindsay Ellis wrote a book?????

YEEEEEESS. I've been following her since her Nostalgia Chick days and this makes me so happy
Evan Doran
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Note: I received a copy of Axiom’s End through a Goodreads Giveaway. This did not influence the content of my review, but did influence me to write a review. Vague spoilers throughout, but significant spoilers are marked.

Overview/What’s It About?

Axiom’s End by Lindsay Ellis follows Cora Sabino, an aimless former linguistics major, as she has the (mis)fortune of encountering an extraterrestrial lifeform known as Ampersand. As the government takes her family captive, she agrees to work as Ampersan
Carrie
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Axiom’s End by Lindsay Ellis is the first book of the science fiction Noumena series. This one takes readers back to an alternate version of 2007 and gives them a glimpse at alien contact that of course the government wants covered up.

Cora Sabino has not spoken to her father in years but she often hears his speeches on the state of the world and aliens. Cora never expected there to actually be any contact with aliens but one night she and the rest of her family experience a blackout as odd thing
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-arcs
I requested this arc because I really enjoy Lindsay's film criticism on YouTube, and hoped that would be enough to overcome the sci-fi, as that remains one of my struggle genres.
Unfortunately, I couldn't connect with the characters, at any point. I could buy into trauma leading to an emotional connection between Cora and Ampersand in the macro - but upon a mild second ponder, what would attract him to Cora? And I'm speaking mentally, not in judgement of her (oft discussed) rachet root situation.
Bradley
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2020-shelf
I suppose, after reading a few hundred first-contact novels and/or movies, I should really read this book as a study of all the things that came before, rather than trying to put this on the same level as Arrival (movie) or Blindsight (book) or Deepness in the Sky (book). Or about 30-40 others that may be better than this.

That isn't to say that this was a bad book. Far from it. But it's dealing with old tropes. Cyborg aliens? Coverups? Translation issues? Fundamental communication breakdown base
jade
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: first time sci-fi readers OR readers with a thing for human/alien relationships
Recommended to jade by: me and my own grabby hands once i discovered this book was being written
Shelves: science-fiction
“looking into his eyes was like looking into ten billion years of history, like she could see the particles and rocks and gasses coalesce over eons, until somehow, impossibly, here they both were.”

i’ll be the first to come out and admit that i bought this book because i’ve been a longtime fan of lindsay ellis’ work as a film critic and youtuber. i genuinely believe her videos are insightful, and i love her brand of humor.

that said, i can also easily admit that her debut novel is not
Mari
Nov 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2020

2....75 stars?

I had a time with this book. Directly after reading it, it felt like a 3 star read, but after some reflection, it turns out I had more negative than positive to say about the individual pieces of this story, even if the whole was fine.

Good things: We take off almost immediately in this book and I found myself hooked as soon as we meet our main character and watch her head off for what should be a normal day at work. Even when things went a little south, storytelling wise, I was in
Claude's Bookzone
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Well that was interesting.

It took me a while to work out whether I liked this novel or not. I confess I read it twice as I had such mixed feelings. The second reading was much better as I had my ‘fun YA sci-fi’ lens on and not my ‘deep exploration of human existence in the wider context of life throughout the universe’ lens.

At first I found Cora to be intensely annoying. She is immature and whiny so it made for unpleasant reading. Then I decided I was being quite unfair as I don’t know
danny
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, it was a pleasure to read the whole way through, and it explored some fascinating ideas of real substance with great heart and feeling.

The pace was excellent, the plot was excellent, the characters seemed real, flawed, and likeable.

At times, the book was hilarious and I laughed out loud. Yet it also dove into sharply realistic descriptions of trauma and genocide. But despite these heavy subjects, I never felt weighed down or depressed, like I often do when books root themsel
R.K. Gold
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounding up

I really wanted to give it a full 4 but the climax dragged it down. Don’t get me wrong, this was better than anything I could’ve created and I enjoyed most of it, but my suspension of disbelief was stretched a little too thin once Cora started beating the all powerful giant alien with a shovel. It was explained at the end of the book how they formed the strong almost co-dependent bond but having just seen the giant client destroy a military base a chapter before this badass
Andrea
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
aliens bro, amirite?

I thought this book was really fun and full of unexpected monster fucker goodness. But, still, I had one problem with this book that dampened it a little for me. Cora, the protagonist, is coded as Latinx, but we are never really given any more insight into that identity except for the fact that she calls her grandma, "Abuelita". I understand that Cora is supposed to be white Latinx, but I think Ellis missed a great opportunity to relate her alien invasion storyline, in partic
Eda**
Dec 07, 2019 marked it as to-read

description

Lemme just say that I never expected my Youtube "geeky" cinephile world to clash with the (lately criminally neglected by yours truly) book world but...it's vastly appreciated.

Lindsay Ellis wrote a book and it's already out guys!

description

Gerhard
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, sf-fantasy
Most of all, deepest thanks to President Ronald Reagan, who deregulated the hell out of children’s television programming in the early 1980s (among many other things), and without whom Transformers would not exist.

One star off for a thoroughly lame ending. I know that Goodreads lists this as the first part of a series, but the actual book makes no reference to it. And then even if this is only the first book, no reason to saddle it with such a perfunctory ending.

The main problems I have with ‘Ax
Kevin Hall
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is going to be HUGE. It has everything: George Bush being a dumbass, governmental subterfuge, intergalactic sexual tension, and interplanetary linguistic intrigue.
Michael
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
(Note: I received an ARC of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced.)

I don't normally watch video essays on YouTube. It takes a very specific kind of personality to get me interested enough to watch anything on YouTube for more than 10 minutes - especially something that's just analyzing something else. But Lindsay Ellis is one of those YouTubers who can get me to watch an hour-long video and enjoy it. So, when I he
Chrys
Jul 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Spoilers ahead.
So I guess how much you enjoyed The Shape of Water is a good litmus for whether or not you’ll like this novel— if the answer is yes, I think you’ll enjoy so read this review no further.

My first thought is that the way that everything about how the novel was constructed read and felt more like a TV pilot than anything else, and I think if absolutely nothing changed I would have enjoyed everything about Axiom’s End much more if it were in visual format.

I really wanted to like this
AnnaLuce
DNF 40%

I really really really wanted to like this as over the years I've found Lindsay Ellis' youtube content to be both entertaining and interesting. I even watched the video in which she talks about getting this book published.
Nevertheless, I can't help but to feel the way I do (sounds lame, I know). While the idea for this book is intriguing, the execution is a wee bit underwhelming. I didn't particularly warm up to Ellis' prose, which came across as somewhat flat, and her characterisation a
Iris
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t review this book right away because I wasn’t sure if my love for Lindsay Ellis was bleeding over to my love for this book.

But that’s bullshit, this is a fan-fucking-tastic book. I would never recommend this book to someone that doesn’t like science fiction. This book was written for people that love sci-fi!

Since the book isn't out yet, I'm letting you know minor spoilers ahead!:

I’ll admit that I’m not that well read in science fiction, but I saw similar themes and tropes to my favorite
Shaun Hutchinson
I enjoyed this. I'd never heard of Lindsay Ellis, so I didn't have any idea what I was in for. The plot was cool, though slow at the start, and I enjoyed the characters. Ampersand was my fave. This gave me Sleeping Giants vibes.

I didn't really care for the end. I felt like it went on a couple pages longer than it should have because those couple of pages made me feel like we were ending in the middle of a thought. Everything else was good. I'll check out the sequel if there is one.
Lindsay
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
In an alternate recent history, the role of international secrets whistle-blower/information warrior is played by Nils Ortega. Like a certain parallel in our world Ortega is a raging egomaniac and far more concerned about his own personal media profile than keeping governments honest, but unlike our world, Nils has a family: an ex-wife and children. His main focus is to reveal that the US government is covering up first contact with aliens, particularly around a meteor landing some years earlier ...more
SFF Hot from Prin...: March 2021 -- Axiom's End (Spoilers Allowed) 15 22 Mar 15, 2021 10:58PM
SFF Hot from Prin...: March 2021 -- Axiom's End (No Spoilers) 3 13 Mar 02, 2021 03:02PM
Similar recommendations 4 47 Sep 02, 2020 10:34PM

• Ice Cream Man, Vol. 4: Tiny Lives
  • Pew
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • So Many Olympic Exertions
  • This Is My America
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • Medea
  • The Everlasting
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Love Around the Corner (The Romano Sisters, #3)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • The Shape of Family

Noumena (2 books)
  • Truth of the Divine (Noumena #2)

Articles featuring this book

There’s nothing like picking up a debut novel and feeling like you’ve found your new favorite author. As the season comes to a close, we...
“Yes, it would look like she was smuggling an ostrich with a tarp on it into a motel room, but this also looked like the type of establishment to not particularly judge for that sort of thing.” 10 likes
“Why, God, why had she listened to “Fergalicious” instead of the news?” 4 likes