Start by marking “What You Wish For” as Want to Read:
What You Wish For

What You Wish For

From Katherine Center, the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away comes a stunning new novel full of heart and hope.

Samantha Casey loves everything about her job as an elementary school librarian on the sunny, historic island of Galveston, Texas—the goofy kids, the stately Victorian building, the butterfly garden. But when the school suddenly loses its
Expected publication: July 14th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about What You Wish For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What You Wish For

Start your review of What You Wish For
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What you wish for? I read to wish this book ASAP and I’m really thankful to my lucky stars and witchy powers. Here I am. I devoured it at one sit. I’m personally in love with those amazing characters. I’m giggling like imbecile teenager (so happy you haven’t met with my 13 years old version, you would like to punch me to wipe my ridiculous smile) seeing the vivid colors of the world that wash my heart with pure joy (See! I started to talk like Anne from Green Gables! This is side effect of ...more
Katherine Center
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I tried not to click on the stars this time. I really did. But HOW CAN I NOT click on them?

They're just lined up there, all sad and empty, just . . . LONGING to be clicked.

I blame the stars.

And now I've just found the title of my autobiography: I Blame the Stars
Bridgett
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
'Never miss a chance to celebrate.'

Katherine Center's latest novel, like all her novels, is utterly delightful. While I ultimately prefer Things You Save in a Fire, I still stayed up until 3 AM finishing this story. Once it gets going, it's hard to put down.

The theme, choosing joy, really resonates. It's a lesson we should all take to heart. Told entirely from Samantha's perspective, she's a quirky character trying desperately to come to terms with several life-altering events. Enter Duncan--
Carrie Zier
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, read-and-owned
Well, I got insanely lucky and received an ARC for Katherine Center’s latest and, as usual, it did not disappoint. I just adore the way she writes her characters. She always elicits such emotion ... I rarely cry when reading books but she always gets me. And she writes a hero like none other. She writes relationships for real and makes the couple’s journey important and sweet. In short, I wish Katherine Center was my best friend.
Katie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you are so very delighted to read and so very sad to be over! And the moment I finished the last word, instantly wanted to start all over again!

Honestly, Katherine’s books bring me so much joy and laughter! They are a gift to read and I devour them while blocking out the real world, because her fictional worlds are just to good! Her books lift me up and make me want to live more fully.

There was so much to love about this book! Duncan captured my heart in
Joanne
Feb 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
Love this book! Author has way of bringing on the laughter and tears better than anyone!
Heather
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think I'd been waiting not-very-patiently for this book for at least a year and a half when I saw on Katherine Center's instagram that she was in Galveston doing research for a book starring Duncan from Happiness for Beginners. I already knew right then and there that I would love this book no matter what, but in many ways, reading it still surprised me and surpassed my expectations in ways I was not expecting. I originally expected lightheartedness and silly jokes throughout but there were ...more
Torrie Tovar
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is going to be long because OMG. I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. This book has some 90s rom-com nostalgia, for real.. It's like hope floats and Never Been Kissed. I can't pinpoint why it makes me think if these but it does.

Casey is so loveable. She is hilarious and I just imagine her as a fast-talking, unable to shut up, awkward, Lorelai Gilmore. And I love my Gilmore Girls, hence my daughter being named Lorelai. Casey is energetic and her joy is contagious.

I loved the theme of this book.
Jem
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got a surprise email today notifying me that I had been sent an ARC of this by the publisher. What a way to brighten up a Monday.

Kathleen Center's books always have such a great balance of bitter and sweet. This one starts with a tragedy when our plucky heroine, Sam, loses her beloved father figure during his birthday celebration. He was the founder and principal of the school she teaches at, and is the center of the community. In the aftermath, a new principal is brought in with a totally
Kylene
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I've debated about whether I should give this book a four-star rating or a five-star rating. I really enjoyed it, but there were a few little things that bothered me. However, I loved the emphasis on choosing joy.
MichellemyBelle
***ARC generously provided by St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest review***

I can't wait to read this one! Sound so good.
Janet
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Samantha Casey loves everything about her job as an elementary
Feb 24, 2020 marked it as netgalley-to-read
Review in progress

Thank you to the following for permitting me access to an advance reader's copy (ARC) of What You Wish For. This generosity did not impact my honesty when rating/reviewing.
Source:
NetGalley
Author: Katherine Center
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Genres: Women’s Fiction
Pub Date: July 14, 2020
Minx
Feb 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
I received a digital ARC of this novel courtesy of NetGalley and St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. Will post full review closer to publication date of July 14, 2020.
Kathy E Isbell
T. Rosado
is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2019
Kristen
full review to come but i laughed, i cried, i laughed while crying.

arc received from netgalley in exchange for honest review
Shelley

• The Book of Lost Friends
  • A Map of the World
  • Black and Blue
  • While I Was Gone
  • The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1)
  • Truth and Consequences
  • With or Without You: A Novel
  • Vinegar Hill
  • The Book of Ruth
  • Mother of Pearl
  • Songs in Ordinary Time
  • A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)
  • River, Cross My Heart
  • Icy Sparks
Katherine Center is the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away, the upcoming Things You Save in a Fire (August 2019), and five other bittersweet comic novels. Six Foot Pictures is currently adapting her fourth novel, The Lost Husband, into a feature film starring Josh Duhamel, Leslie Bibb, and Nora Dunn. Katherine has been compared to both Nora Ephron and Jane Austen, and the Dallas ...more