Start by marking “To Catch an Earl (Bow Street Bachelors, #2)” as Want to Read:
To Catch an Earl (Bow Street Bachelors, #2)

To Catch an Earl

(Bow Street Bachelors #2)

A case of secret identities finds reunited lovers on opposite sides of the law in this fun, flirty Regency romance.

There's only one case Bow Street agent Alex Harland, Earl of Melton, hasn't cracked: the identity of the mysterious woman who stole a kiss from him before he left for war. He's neither forgotten--nor forgiven--her for leaving him wanting. When he starts invest
Mass Market Paperback, 325 pages
Published June 30th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about To Catch an Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Catch an Earl

Start your review of To Catch an Earl (Bow Street Bachelors, #2)
Addie H
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-netgalley
Is anyone else having uncharacteristic reading reaction to this world crisis? I would think having all this extra time in lockdown by myself I would plow through books. Instead I can’t focus for more than 15 minutes and it has taken me several weeks just to get through a few of them.

But we will get through this – so stay inside and be safe!

description

NB: Spoiler free ARC review – expected publication June 30th 2020

(Tropes: Class Difference, Work Relationship, Mistaken Identity/Disguise, Forbidden Love, Se
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I really wanted to love To Catch an Earl by Kate Bateman, but I found it to be extremely hard to get into. It took me almost two weeks to finish, which is nearly unheard of for me.

I found Emmy to be a frustrating character. First of all, if you have a very distinct, personalized perfume, why on earth would you wear it before stealing something extremely valuable?? It was just a TSTL move, and I was smacking my face. It was like she wanted to get caught. She kept doing things like that, just rev
Amy Imogene Reads

I just couldn't get into this one unfortunately—I'm not sure if it was the concept or the lack of grounded attraction between the two love interests, but this was a miss for me.

Characters: ★★★
Pacing: ★★★
Enjoyment: ★★

To Catch an Earl is the second book in the Bow Street Bachelors series, but as with many romance series this can be read as a standalone.

Alex Harland, the Earl of Melton, is on the case: a notorious jewel thief, the Nightjar, is stealing certain prized jewels from around E
Jonetta
The newly knighted Alexander (Alex) Harland, Earl of Melton, is asked by Bow Street to investigate a new case. The infamous jewel thief called Nightjar has recently struck again after a four-year absence, this time in London. He has reason to suspect the Danvers family is involved but when he meets Emmy Danvers, Alex realizes she may be more to him than the focus of his current business pursuit.

I loved the idea of a 19th century female jewel thief eluding London’s Bow Street law enforcement. Bo
Wendy'sThoughts
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kate Bateman Fans, Romance Historical
5 Cat and Roaring Mouse Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free- It's LIVE!!!
One of the past phrases of a chase is the use of "cat and mouse". Well, that phrase didn't work when it came to the back and forth between Alex Harland, Earl of Melton and Emmy Danvers. Every time these two crossed paths, it was questionable as to who was chasing who and who had the upper hand.

As one of the Bow Street Agents, Alex has been tasked to find the thief who has been targeting specific gems.
Known as the notorious Nightj
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Very clever and a fabulous story!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve read the first book in this series by Bateman and I love that she she gives us a flair for the unexpected. This book is showcases exactly the unexpected, along with some awesome twists.

Normally it’s the guy who is the bad boy, but in this instance, it’s the girl. The story is beautifully crafted and includes so much interest and history that you are involved from the beginning.

Plus, her character development is delightful and so int
Esther
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rating 4.25

Nightjar, is Europe's well known jewel thief that has alluded being caught. Earl of Melton, Alex Harland has been asked to assist the Bow Street runners in the investigation and capture of Nightjar.

Emma Danvers has been attracted and fascinated by Alex Harland. One night at a masked ball the two met and shared a very memorable kiss. Alex never did find out who the woman was he kissed, before he headed off to fight in the war.
♥Rachel♥
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, romance
I loved the first book in this series, This Earl of Mine, so I was excited for the second installment. Unfortunately, this one fell flat for me.

Four years ago, Emmy and Alex met: “They’d talked. Danced. Flirted. They’d shared one perfect kiss.” Spent minutes together, in an underwhelming encounter, IMO, and yet they can’t forget each other? Maybe if there was more of a setup before their meet up I could’ve bought into the romance, but I just didn’t feel it.

Also, not a fan of the whole jewel th
Cyndi
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh give me a Regency Romance! Make it funny and I'm yours! This book hits all the chords. A spunky heroine, and brooding hero, mistaken identity and between the sheets romps. This is the kind of book that is almost impossible to put down and makes you fall in love with the characters. It's got all the fun of "To Catch a Thief" but with corsets.
This is a brilliant author and I would LOVE to read more of her works!! 'hint, hint'
Stacee
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, these two were delightful. After devouring the previous book in this series, there was no way I was going to skip this one.

I loved Emmy and Alex. They’re both so smart and so stubborn and really good people. Their button pushing was fantastic, especially when it was so thinly veiled as flirting and the chemistry between them was fantastically out of control. Emmy’s grandmother stole every scene she was in and I can’t wait to see the girl who knocks Seb on his ass.

Plot wise, it was good.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Release Day!

This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

He stole a kiss at a masquerade ball, she stole his heart without leaving a hint to who she was.  Now it is years later and he is determined to find her; she is determined to evade him even though she has a huge crush on him.
"Sometimes the chase is such fun that the catching is quite a disappointment." she took
☕️Kimberly
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Earl of Melton is determined to catch an elusive London jewel thief known as the Nightjar. The Nightjar who hasn’t been active in years is suddenly stealing gems with a unique history.

Since returning from the war, he has also been working his own personal case; one that haunts his dream. Before leaving, he shared a kiss with a masked woman and no other will do. She proves to be just as elusive as the Nightjar until past and present collide….

Oh, how I loved the banter and cat-and-mouse game t
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

I read it but I didn't read it. Does that make sense? I barely remember at least 60% of this historical romance and I kind of just went through the motions of reading it. Nothing in particular stood out and everything was basic. No excitement. No spark. No flare. It was just unrememberable and I will say it's more of a 'it's not you, it's me' type of read. I just didn't care much for it unfortunately but can definitely see this novel appealing to most readers that tend to gravita
Sophie Barnes
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Kate Bateman novel I've ever read and I have to say that it was spectacular from beginning to end - an absolute gem of a story!

Emmy Danvers is the notorious Nightjar, a jewel thief so sly and clever she keeps evading capture. Her only weakness is Alex Harland, Earl of Melton, the man she loves and knows she can never marry. The kiss they once in a garden during a masquerade is all she will ever have of him, and she very much doubts he even remembers her. But when he joins the i
Heike
Emmy is in love with Alex, Earl of Melton, but her criminal back ground forbids her to come forward with her love. She steals a kiss at a masquerade ball, and during his following years at war he can not forget the mysterious stranger.
Back in London he works as a bow street runner, and his new assignment is to catch the Nightjar, a jewel thief. Who is no other than Emmy, and he is coming dangerously close to the truth while he reluctantly falls in love with her.

A jewel thief with honorable motiv
Barbara Rogers
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Series: Bow Street Bachelors #2
Publication Date: 6/30/20
Number of Pages: 336

Welcome to the second exciting and steamy installment of the Bow Street Bachelors. You are going to love this excellently-written, well-plotted, and well-delivered story which takes place just two months after the first book, This Earl of Mine. I will admit, I had a love-hate relationship with Alex – quite often I didn’t care for how he treated Emmy, even though I could understand his turmoil. As for Emmy, well, I just l
Jewlsbookblog
I struggled ridiculously so to get into this book! When it was all said and done, I just didn’t feel Alex and Emmy had that ‘zing’ if you will, to make me believe they were meant to be with each other. I was really disappointed, especially after enjoying the first book of the series so much, but three stars for the storyline and other characters.

I received an advance reader copy from Netgalley/St. Martins and this is my honest review.
Melanie
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
To Catch an Earl features an amazing romance between a jewel thief and a Bow Street agent.

When Alex Harland, Earl of Melton, begins investigating an elusive jewel thief known as the Nightjar, he finds himself continuously running into the beguiling Emmy Danvers. Emmy has loved Alex from afar for years, but she knows revealing her identity as the Nightjar would put more than her life at risk. But when someone discovers her secret and threatens everything she holds dear, she finds herself turning
Andrea
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
"If you run, I will chase you to the ends of the earth, never doubt it."

I really enjoyed the second instalment in this series! Granted, with both you have to suspend all belief and just kind of go with it, because in both books the premise is a bit strange, but that's actually the part I love most. What I really enjoy is that her characters are always equal partners in crime, ok not so much "in crime" in this one, as one of them is a thief, and the other one works for Bow Street, but you know wh
Bethany
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

A lady jewel thief and an Earl hired to bring her to justice? To Catch an Earl has a fun premise and strong beginning, but for me the later part of the book was less than I hoped for, though readers who like alpha-male heroes may have a better experience.

Alex Harland is an Earl and an investigative agent. His latest assignment? To catch the infamous jewel thief known as Nightjar who has recently come out of retirement. Emmy has loved Alex for years, but secretly she is c
Maria Rose
I love a good jewel thief heroine! And of course the chase is on quickly to catch her, with Alex and his Bow Street Runners hunting the elusive Nightjar, a London jewel thief. It used to be her father, but Emmy has taken over since his death, trying to find all the jewels belonging to the French but in her case, it's due to blackmail that could seriously impact her family if they were found out.

There is plenty of banter between Emmy and Alex as Emmy is a member of London society and they meet a
Marta Cox
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emmy has fantasized about Alex for a long time and takes the plunge at a masked ball to allow him to kiss her. Sadly Alex is about to go to war but he never forgets the glorious, mysterious young woman who so sweetly captured his attention. Fast forward a few years and Alex assists the Bow Street Runners and is asked to investigate the resurgence of a notorious jewel thief. Emmy knows all too well who the Nightjar is and finds herself meeting up with Alex again . Emmy plays a dangerous game but ...more
FMABookReviews
❝He wanted to both conquer her and protect her. To capture her and keep her safe. ❞

Determined to save her family, Emmy Danvers is forced to continue her father's passion. As the Night Jar, she catches the attention of Bow Street agent Alex Harland, Earl of Melton. Alex finds himself in a dreadful situation … prosecute the Night Jar and lose his second chance with her or circumvent the law, and make her his.

❝He wanted her, with that clever mind and tart mouth,❞

Emmy was sp
Juliana Philippa
DNF. I'm not even sure I should count this book as one of my reads of 2020 and probably won't; I got through so little of it before deciding to put it down.

I don't know why, but I have been striking out, it seems, with HRs recently, particularly books from new (or relatively new) HR authors. I'm consistently finding that these books, to me, feel so forced! As if they're written by people who have been reading romance books forever, and then thought they would go ahead and write one; I can best c
Anita
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

I loved the first book in this series and this is Alex's story. These books are filled with wit and a touch of suspense. I was entertained and enthralled throughout the book. Alex and Emmy are wonderful characters and I loved them.

Alex Harland, Earl of Melton shared a memorable kiss with a beautiful woman at a masquerade ball just before he left London for war. He has returned
Krystal
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This story had a lot of potential, and I'm sure that it is going to be a big hit with a lot of people. However, for me, something just consistently felt off about this one. For one, I wasn't completely buying the romance between Emmy and Alex. I don't feel as though I was shown that they had feelings for each other, although the banter between the two as adversaries was enjoyable. So the fact that he could speak so crudely to her, and she would jump into bed with him knowing what she did was a l ...more
TeriLyn
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
**To Catch an Earl generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

3 "...the Runner and the thief..." Stars

The premise of this book was very exciting but the execution was a bit off for me. There were many scenes of the book that I really enjoyed but there were also parts that were drug out for reasons I couldn't fathom. A lot of superfluous detail went into certain aspects of plot while the romance and banter between the main characters never really caught
Emma
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely delightful and entertaining as hell.

"Not carpe diem. Carpe hominem. She would seize the man."

"Anyone who said women weren't capable of such things was a fool. Women were capable of anything."

Tosca: "It is a melancholy yearning, a longing, a love sickness. An unbearable feeling that you need to escape but lack the hope or energy to do so. It is an awful feeling. But without tosca, there cannot be delirious happiness."
Jamie :)
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LEGIT LOVED THIS

** a huge thanks to St Martins press and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book**
Elodie
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
To Catch an Earl
A Bow Street Bachelors Series #2
Kate Bateman
Release date 06/30/2020
Publisher St Martin’s Paperbacks

Blurb :

Working undercover for London’s first official police force, the Bow Street Bachelors have an obligation to serve the city’s best interests—even while they’re falling for the city’s most alluring women…
SHE KNOWS HOW TO STEAL A KISS.

Alex Harland, Earl of Melton and dedicated rake, never pictured himself as an agent of inquiry. But the t

• When You Wish Upon a Rogue (Debutante Diaries, #3)
  • A Counterfeit Heart (Secrets & Spies, #3)
  • Gone With the Rogue (First Comes Love, #2)
  • A Raven's Heart (Secrets & Spies, #2)
  • All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2)
  • Hit Me With Your Best Scot (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #3)
  • To Steal a Heart (Secrets and Spies, #1)
  • The Devil in Her Bed (Devil You Know, #3)
  • Highland Sword (Royal Highlander #3)
  • A Good Duke Is Hard to Find (Isle of Synne, #1)
  • Mated to the Clan (Fated Shifter Mates #1)
  • Meet Cute
  • My Kind of Earl (Mating Habits of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Highland Dragon Master (Dawn of the Highland Dragon, #3)
  • Dancing With Danger (Goode Girls, #3)
  • The Duke Heist (The Wild Wynchesters #1)
  • The Devil of Downtown (Uptown Girls, #3)
  • Triplets For The Mountain Man (Mountain Men of Liberty, #5)
Also writes as K.C. Bateman

Bow Street Bachelors (3 books)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • The Princess and the Rogue (Bow Street Bachelors, #3)

Articles featuring this book