Start by marking “The Finders (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Finders (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery, #1)

The Finders

(Mace Reid K-9 Mystery #1)

What happens when the hunter becomes the hunted?

Jeffrey B. Burton's The Finders marks the beginning of a fast-paced new mystery series featuring a heroic golden retriever cadaver dog named Vira and her handler, Mason Reid.

Mason "Mace" Reid lives on the outskirts of Chicago and specializes in human remains detection. He trains dogs to hunt for the dead. Reid’s coming off a
Published June 30th 2020 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Finders, please sign up.
Jeffrey Burton Thanks for the kind words and great question. Yup - The Keepers comes out in the summer of 2021.

Start your review of The Finders (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery, #1)
PamG
THE FINDERS by Jeffrey B. Burton is the first book in the new Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. It is also my first book by this author. Mason (Mace) Reid lives outside of Chicago and trains dogs with various end goals such as obedience and missing persons tracking, as well as searching for drugs and explosives. However, his specialty is training dogs in human remains detection (HRD). He recently acquired and began training a golden retriever named Vira. With a serial killer targeting young women, t ...more
Paromjit
There is much promise and potential in Jeffrey B Burton's first in the series featuring Mason 'Mace' Reid living in the outskirts of Chicago, Michigan and as we find out in the story in fascinating detail, trains dogs to find human remains. Mace has gone through some tough times, his marriage is over and he has endured the loss of a much loved dog. He has a real affinity, deep love and connection for his dogs, for him they are his 'kids', and he names them after songs, from the German Shepherd, ...more
Liz
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, rounded down
It didn’t take me long at all to connect with Mace Reid. Whenever a news clip comes in about pet abuse, my first comment is always “hang ‘em high”. So, when Mace states “In my book, cruelty to animals merits the death penalty. If I had my druthers, we’d hang the Grangers of the world in the village square like Christmas ornaments”, I knew we were kindred spirits.
Burton’s writing includes a fun sense of humor. “She took to finding smells not unlike my ex took to remarrying
megs_bookrack
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars**

The Finders, the first installment in the new Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series, is an Investigatory Thriller following an unlikely hero and his four-legged companions.

Mason, 'Mace', Reid, is a dog trainer who specializes in training cadaver dogs, which he uses to help out local law enforcement with body searches.

At the beginning of the story, Mace has the opportunity to adopt a Golden Retriever puppy who has had a very traumatic start to life.

Dog lover that he is, and having recently lo
Sandy

What is it about a book with a dog on the cover? Seriously, I have no control.

Mason “Mace” Reid is an average guy who teaches obedience classes for people & their four legged children. But his real job is training cadaver dogs to find human remains for police departments in Lansing & Chicago. He’s still reeling from an unwanted divorce & the recent loss of one of his “kids” when he gets a phone call from a friend who runs a dog rescue. Seems he may have an addition for Mace’s team.

After
Carolyn
I'm a sucker for novels featuring dogs and this one is pretty good. Recently divorced Mason (Mace) Reid teaches obedience classes as well as training cadaver dogs for work with the Chicago police. Along with his German shepherd and two collies, he's recently adopted and started training a new recruit, golden retriever puppy, Vira, rescued from a bad situation by policewoman Kippy Gimm. In Vira's first outing to find a cadaver of a young female kidnapping victim, she shows a remarkable skill that ...more
PattyMacDotComma
“Dogs, in general, live in a world of scent and hearing, and cadaver dogs are trained to detect human remains via the scent of compounds—unique odors—given off by decomposing bodies. Decomposing human remains release nearly five hundred different chemical compounds.”

Anyone who’s taken a dog for a walk knows what it’s like when their household pet suddenly stops on the spot to sniff the ground and then either freezes or starts looking around, searching. It can be hard to keep your balance if yo
Michelle
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 strong stars

I was immensely impressed with The Finders and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I was hesitant all those months ago to read it when I originally saw it on Netgalley because I thought it might be a little corny, but when it was offered to me again, I thought, what the heck? Let's give it a try. I'm so glad I did as it was an excellent mystery/thriller and had a unique aspect to it that set it apart from other series I've read and enjoyed.

Most everyone knows that I am a proud
Brenda
Mason Reid (Mace) trained his dogs as cadaver dogs and when he found Elvira, the golden retriever puppy had been close to death. Shortening her name to Vira, she joined Maggie Mae, Delta Dawn and Sue (male German Shephard) all named for the songs Mace had loved all his life. It wasn’t long before Mace realized he had a special dog in Vira; her intelligence and knowledge was astounding. Mace was seconded to the Chicago Police Department when they needed help searching for the dead, and police off ...more
Carolyn
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to NetGalley and St.Martin’s Press for the ARC of this intriguing book. The opening section describing the discovery of an unconscious golden retriever puppy overcome and almost dead from noxious fumes and its rescue. Its subsequent training as a cadaver dog was compelling and informative.

The puppy was rescued by policewoman, Kippy, who wished to keep her, but animal control decided on a placement with Mace Reid who specializes in training cadaver dogs. The goal is having the dog, n
Katie B
I read mysteries all the time but I do believe this was my first time reading one in which a dog played a big role in the story. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a dog lover but I did find myself interested in the dog portions of the story. It's pretty amazing how they can play a vital role in police investigations due to their abilities. While I might not have enjoyed all aspects of the story, I am glad I picked this one up as it gave me the opportunity to learn a little bit about cadaver dogs.

Ma
Sheena
Okay so obviously I read this because of the lovely golden retriever on the cover. There aren’t many mystery novels with dogs helping out to solve crimes so that concept in itself was what drew me to read this - plot aside.

Mason “Mace” Reid lives outside of Chicago and trains dogs to hunt human remains. He has recently gone through a divorce and lost his beloved dog. He adopts a golden retriever named Vira and trains her to become his new cadaver dog. She ends up being exceptionally amazing at
CYIReadBooks (Claire)
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Exciting, intense, suspenseful! These are just some of the adjectives that can be used to describe this novel.

The Finders is the first novel in a planned series involving Mason (Mace) Reid, and his band of Human Remains Detection (HRD) dogs -- with the star being a golden retriever named Elvira or Vira for short. Eventually, Mace teams up with Kippy Gimm, a Chicago police officer to track down a serial killer by locating human remains and extracting any clues.

Suddenly, the tables get turned as t
Nursebookie
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mason "Mace" Reid trains dogs to hunt for dead bodies to become cadaver dogs. He adopts a rescue, a golden retriever named Vira. Reid soon realizes that Vira is special with special instincts on not only finding dead bodies but also identifying the killers. Mace takes on an assignment with Kippy Gimm from the Chicago Police Department to close in on a serial killer case.

Burton’s writing on this police procedural was exciting, fast paced, and thrilling. I loved surprise twists and smart killers
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Kippy Gimm is a young Chicago Police Officer performing a wellness check when she stumbles upon a golden retriever puppy stuck in a garage with a running car. Miraculously, Kippy is able to save the puppy and turn it over to a rescue center to be rehabilitated.

Mace Reid specializes in detecting human remains and has several pups trained as cadaver dogs. When his friend at the rescue center contacts him about the miraculous survival of a golden retriever puppy, Mace is eager to add the puppy to h
Xavier Hugonet
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
The Finders is the first book in a new series by author Jeffrey B. Burton.

Before reviewing it, I have a new confession to make: I love police dogs. When I’m on my couch, switching channels on the telly, and stumble on a police or customs documentary, I remain on it in hope to see police dogs into action. They’re the overlooked heroes of law enforcement.

Hence, when I read the description for The Finders, I knew I had to read this book. And, I haven’t been disappointed.

Mason Reid is a dog train
Andrea
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A cracking start to a new crime/thriller series that is bound to have wide appeal.

Dog trainer/handler Mason Reid has had a tough year. His beloved springer spaniel has died and the divorce from his high school sweetheart has become final. Both of these things have left him with too much time to spend inside his own head, and he's become withdrawn, maybe drinking a little too much. So when his friend at Chicago Animal Care and Control calls him in to see a newly rescued golden retriever pup as a
Wendy
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2020, aug-20
The Finders, by Jeffrey B. Burton, is the 1st book in a new fast-paced mystery series (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery) featuring dog handler Mace Reid and golden retriever cadaver dog Vira.
Mace and Vira assist the police in capturing a serial killer of young women. It is soon discovered that the killing hasn't stopped and there may be an accomplice.
I enjoyed that there was a lot of focus on the work being done by the dog. How interesting!
A well-written and unique plot has me looking forward to reading
Linden
Mason Reid’s divorced, lives in the Chicago area, and trains dogs. He gets a special golden retriever puppy that was almost asphyxiated, and finds that she has remarkable, almost psychic abilities. This book is pretty gritty and intense, as the police hunt for a serial killer of young women, and eventually for his accomplice, who has Mason in his sights. I was bothered about a few things: how could a dog trainer break into a home he suspects is inhabited by a serial killer without informing the ...more
Krista
Rating: 4 great start stars

What a brisk opening salvo for a new series by author Jeffrey B. Burton. His book, “The Finders” is the first book in the new “Mace Reid K-9 Mystery” series. It starts with a great big bark, and the pace doesn’t let up until the final page. For some reason, I was expecting a cozy mystery. However, to my surprise and delight, this was an action packed thriller. It kept me up late one night furiously turning the book’s pages.

Mason ‘Mace’ Reid is first, and foremost a dog
The Cats’ Mother
The Finders is the first in a planned series about Chicago Dog Trainer Mason Reid, and his super-smart Cadaver Recovery Specialist, Golden Retriever Vira.
Now, I’m a cat person, obviously. I don’t mind dogs, many of them are beautiful, and the whole unconditional loyalty and fierce protectiveness thing is very appealing, but in reality I’m not good with all the slobbering, jumping, needing-to-be-walked smelliness that they entail. Which is probably why I LOVE fictional dogs. This has a gorgeous h
Kelsie Maxwell
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
The Finders is the first book in Jeffrey B. Burton’s Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. This new series features dog handler, Mace Reid, and his golden retriever cadaver dog, Vira.

There’s a killer loose in the areas surrounding Chicago. Mason “Mace” Reid, dog trainer/handler, and his golden retriever cadaver dog, Vira, whom he acquired under strange circumstances, are drawn into the investigation and they, along with Mace’s other cadaver dogs and Chicago Police Officer Kippy Gimm, become objects of
Dee Arr
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s always a good day when I come across a novel that is factual, entertaining, and relates a story while never venturing outside the realm of reality. “The Finders” is one of those novels.

Mason Reid – Mace to his friends and his canine kids – conducts obedience classes for dogs though his specialty is training dogs in human remains detection. Essentially, they are cadaver dogs, able to detect the scent of death. His most recent work with the Chicago Police Department brings him in contact with
Lynne
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to the publisher,author and net galley for this review copy. The Finders is the first book in a new series Mace Reid K-9 mystery. It all starts with a dog named Vira. She was abandoned at 9 weeks and scheduled to be euthanized. Mace doesn’t want to let her go so he trains her to be a cadaver dog. You can tell that Vira is a special dog. She can sniff out any killer. Vira is a real hero. A must read for dog lovers.
Marianne
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5★s
The Finders is the first book in the Mace Reid K-9 Mysteries series by American author, Jeffrey B. Burton. Mason Reid is a dog trainer, specialising in training for Human Remains Detection. His newest dog, Vira, a young golden retriever rescued from almost certain death, is an incredibly quick study, but on her first proper case locating human remains, she follows up by fiercely attacking a bystander. That, sadly, seals her fate: despite her excellent detection skills, she will have to be p
Cat
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You don’t have to be a dog-lover to thoroughly enjoy this new series by Jeffrey B. Barton, but it helps! Vira has survived what most pets didn’t, a house fire. Rescued by a compassionate policewoman, Kippy Gimm, Vira is given a second chance at life. She ends up with a dog trainer, Mace Reid, who specializes in training cadaver dogs.
Mace by himself would make this a fun and enjoyable read, but with Vira by his side, they’re a heartwarming pair. Mace has trouble staying within the lines of his d
Linda Strong
THE FINDERS marks the beginning of a new series featuring Vira (Elvira), a brilliant Golden Retriever cadaver dog and her handler, Mason Reid.

Mace specializes in human remains detection. He also gives instructions in dog training. Coming across Vira at a bad time in his life, he's come to realize just how special the newest addition to his family truly is.

When Chicago Police Officer Kippy Gimm, calls for a cadaver dog in her latest investigation, neither of them see the danger coming their way i
Juli
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot in my heart for mystery novels with K-9 units in them. When I saw this first book in a new series, I jumped right on reading a review copy. I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I can't wait for more of this series!

Mace Reid trains cadaver dogs. He's had a rough year. He lost a dog and got divorced. He adopts a new dog, Vira, and starts training her. Just as he is getting to know his newest dog, a serial killer begins targeting women in the area, and Reid finds himse
Christa
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
This book about human remains detecting dogs and their trainer/handler was a good start to a new mystery series. Mace Reid and his dogs, Maggie Mae, Delta Dawn, Sue, and especially Elvira, were all great to read about! I enjoyed police officer, Kippy Gimm, very much too.

The storyline was intense and fast-paced. The mystery was complex and had more than one facet. I'm looking forward to seeing what will be next for Mace, his team of dogs, and Kippy.
Bam cooks the books ;-)
Dog lovers: this is the mystery series for you! This was a fun read set in the Chicago area, so part of my enjoyment of the story sprang from all the references to areas of the city and suburbs I'm familiar with. Even Batavia made it into the story!

In the first book of this new series, we are introduced to Mason Reid who trains dogs for human remains detection. His team of dogs live with him as part of his family and their relationships are so heart-warming.

As the story opens, Officer Kippy Gim

• Safecracker
  • Big Kibble: The Hidden Dangers of the Pet Food Industry and How to Do Better by Our Dogs
  • Never Look Back  (Criminal Profiler #5)
  • The Secrets of Bones (Jazz Ramsey #2)
  • Muzzled (Andy Carpenter #21)
  • Nightingale House
  • Hanging Falls (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #6)
  • Silent Bite (Andy Carpenter #22)
  • The Last Affair
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • The Nearest Exit (Milo Weaver, #2)
  • Kidnapped on Safari (Mbuno & Pero, #3)
  • F*ck No!: How to Stop Saying Yes  When You Can't, You Shouldn't,  or You Just Don't Want To
  • Poison by Punctuation (Chalkboard Outlines Book 2)
  • No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22)
  • Feels Like Falling
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
Jeff's mystery/thriller, THE KEEPERS (second in THE FINDERS series), will come out in June of 2021 (St. Martin's Press, Minotaur).

Jeff was born in Long Beach, California, grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota, and received his BA in Journalism at the University of Minnesota.

Novels in Jeff's Agent Drew Cady mystery series include: THE CHESSMAN, THE LYNCHPIN, and THE EULOGIST. His short stories have appear

Mace Reid K-9 Mystery (2 books)
  • The Keepers (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery, #2)

News & Interviews