Start by marking “Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)

Heart of Flames

(Crown of Feathers #2)

Veronyka, Tristan, and Sev must stop the advancing empire from destroying the Phoenix Riders in this fiery sequel to Crown of Feathers, which #1 New York Times bestselling author Kendare Blake calls absolutely unforgettable!

You are a daughter of queens.

The world is balanced on the edge of a knife, and war is almost certain between the empire and the Phoenix Riders.

Hardcover, Owlcrate Exclusive Edition, 628 pages
Published February 11th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Flames, please sign up.
Mi Universo Literario Writer Nope! It's the second book in the series. The third and final one is supposed to come out in 2021.
Michael Gilman It was published on Tuesday the 11th of February 2020

Start your review of Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)
Eilidh
The hotly anticipated sequel to Crown of Feathers catapults us back into the world of the Golden Empire and the legendary Phoenix Riders.

Since the Battle of the Eyrie, Veronyka and Tristan are dealing with the new realities of what it means to be in open war with the Golden Empires armies, and theyre working toward building the Phoenix Riders forces. Meanwhile, Sev made his choice to stand with his fellow animages and the Phoenix Riders, and he faces his next steps in bringing down the Golden
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you so much to Simon Pulse Via NetGalley for the eARC of Heart of Flames in exchange for an honest review!

I enjoyed Crown of Feathers at least moderately, and unfortunately found Heart of Flames falling into the second-book-slump. The worst thing is that sometimes authors can take advice and lessons from the first novel, such as "don't repeat yourself so much," and apply them to the second novel. The author did not do this, and seriously just repeated herself ad nauseum to the point that
Reva Dawn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So excited for this book!!!!
Holly Hughes
Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with a physical review copy. This has not affected my review, which reflects only my honest opinions.

"When a Phoenix Rider wanted to approach unseen, she flew under cover of darkness. Quiet as a shadowsoft as starlight.

But when a Phoenix Rider wanted to wage war, she flew under the sun."

My full review can be found here!

As most trilogies go, second books form the bridge between the beginning and the end. This journey, I have often found,
Laura ☾
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm torn between rating this 3 and 4 stars

While I enjoyed the overall plot and world, this felt so long-winded that it was tedious to read...it genuinely could have been about half the length...

Full review to come
Samantha Eck
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY CRAP WAS THIS EVER AMAZING! I absolutely love Nick's Worlds and her storytelling. It's rich and vibrant and this world was on I didn't want to leave. Her characters are well written and the plot of this second book was mind blowing! Seriously, this will be a book to watch out for next year it's mind blowing! I can't wait to get my hands on a finished copy!
Melissa
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any big book, this one has its lengths. But when the action kicked in, I wasn't able to let go, I wanted to read and know what was going to happen.

Before the action, I would've give it a 3⭐, but I loved how everything unfolded and the twists and turns that predict a marvellous third book that I can't wait to read!

Many thanks to Simon and Schuster Canada for the complimentary e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Danica
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book left me in awe and needing more! After the events of book one Crown of Feathers, (which I adored) I was worried a squeal wouldnt live up to my expectations. Trust me, there is no need to worry about that. Heart of flames goes above and beyond. There was so much action, emotion and romances. We see so much character development especially Veronyka and Sev. As always Val is such an interesting character to read you want to hate her but love her at the same time.

Since reading Crown of
Carrie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Brianna Benton
I just finished my first re-read of this book and believe it or not, it gets even better with the re-read. The amount of foreshadowing and other hints to the ending is thrilling. I am so excited for the next one (Untitled).
_____________________

I was given an ARC by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Wow this book was even better than Crown of Feathers! It's unusual for me to like the second book in the series better than the first but I love when it happens. This book is filled with
Diana
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one is complicated to rate. I mean, I was waiting for this book anxiously as I'd loved the first one, and I was a bit let down because this one was slow. I mean, there's a lot of internal monologue and thoughts, following every single thread of action/thought any of the characters can take at any given moment. And as we are following diverse POWs (Veronyka, Val, Tristan and Sev) those monologues can get old fast, as they are each one 2-3 pages for every chapter.

Honestly, I was skimming thru
Brittany
If you know me at all then you know how much I absolutely loved Crown of Feathers earlier this year and how much I adore Nicki Pau Preto. I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Heart of Flames and I will forever be grateful to Nicki because of it. Crown of Feathers was so good I didn't know how Nicki could possibly top it but she managed it, 100%. Heart of Flames is SO good.

I've seen some reviews of Crown of Feathers that claim they didn't like Veronyka
Leah
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
I have but one word to describe Nicki Pau Preto's follow-up to the amazing book that is Crown of Feathers. Spell it out with me now. E-P-I-C! Yes. Over 600 pages of perfect, magical, phoenix-riding, EPICNESS!

See my full review at Write, Read, Repeat

For those who have been keeping up with me, you will know how much I adored CoF. And how could I not? A high-fantasy with queens of lore, phoenix riders and a main character who disguises herself as a boy to prove them all wrongit's all I never knew I
Ally Crouch
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy wow!

Everyone needs to bow down to the greatness that is Nicki Pau Preto. When I read Crown of Feathers earlier this year, I was blown away and fell in love with the characters and the world that Nicki has created. Heart of Flames has completely dazzled me... and I am not someone who uses the word dazzled.

Heart of Flames picks up shortly after the ending of Crown of Feathers and takes off pretty quickly. Everyone is trying to adjust to life after the events of the previous book, some more
Asia Chrisma Currin
The time has finally came! Weighing in at around 600 pages, Heart of Flames by Nicki Pau Preto will be released on 11 Feb 2020. With that being said...here are my thoughts (vaguely as you do NOT want to be spoiled and miss out on what this book has to offer).

Starting out, I was captured. The first chapter begins with Veronyka and Tristian begin with training for hand-to-hand combat. The bond between the two are beautiful and it breaks my heart to not see them well off right from the start. A
Amanda Bradburn
So excited to see where Nicki Pau-Preto is going to take this unique story! I'm so looking forward to Heart of Flames (and DID YOU SEE that cover?) <3
Sam Glasbrenner (SassyOwlReads)
This book was so amazing! I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on a digital arc.

Nicki Pau Preto managed to completely avoid the slow middle book pitfall and now I'm so mad I have to wait so long for the 3rd one.

It picks up pretty much exactly where Crown of Feathers left off and proceeds to go on a wild adventure. My palms were actually sweating at one point and a slight prickling sensation in my eyes may have occurred.
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Caylynn
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
This was the trick, the thing the stories never told you. In order to survive, you had to be willing to let go.

Sometimes it was easy, the hand cold and limp and slick with blood.

Sometimes it was harder, the hand strong and fierce and clinging to life.

I am ruined. I am done. I have to wait ANOTHER YEAR for the conclusion???? HOW?

This was absolutely brilliant, and I have only two minor complaints that dropped my rating half a star.

Heart of Flames starts off relatively soon after the
Laurie
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 Intensely Fierce Stars! Full of epic maneuvering battles, vibrant colorful imagery, and an abundance of tender moments across numerous characters. Heart of Flames is a much anticipated sequel that most definitely did not disappoint! My only criticism is that it's drawn out a little too much for my taste, this could of been just a smidge shorter. I found myself skimming towards the end there just to get to the good stuff. I hate to admit I did that, but there are so many POV's and some were ...more
Raegan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very obsessed with this series and I CANNOT STRESS how impatient I am for the next book. Put this series on your TBR shelf ASAP.
Amitai Vales
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since finishing the Crown of Feathers, I have been looking forward to this book every single day! Nicki Pau Preto has a unique writing ability to capture her readers in as soon as they turn the first page. Her world building is gorgeously outlined, and her characters grow in several ways throughout the book. I have no doubt Nicki Pau Preto will exceed these abilities in her second book. I cant wait to read it! ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/02/16/...

With Heart of Flames, this series is shaping up to be pretty epic. It does what second books are supposed to do, which is progress the storyline and raise the stakes! If you havent read Crown of Feathers though, you might want to skip this review until youre caught up, as Ill probably touch upon some of the insane fallout from the first book.

For one thing, war has arrived. The Phoenix Riders are busy preparing, rigorously
Zahira⚡️
SunflowerFiction
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november-2019
HOLY COW. HOLYYYY YCOWWWWW. INCREDIBLE. I NEED BOOK 3.
Madison
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Heart of Flames is the second book in the Crown of Feathers series. This is an amazing fantasy series, with phoenixes (which are even cooler than dragons, if you can imagine that), and a cast of heart-strong and determined characters who must fight for the freedom to be themselves. I loved the second book even more than the first book - we get far more insight into the phoenixes, the complex world Nicki Pau Preto has created, and more romance - though with that ending I am now desperate for the ...more
Brie
2/16/20 Im left speechless and in aw of Nicki. What a brilliant and beautiful book.

2/17/20 FIVE FIERY STARS! The perfect follow up to Crown of Feathers

If you have ever found yourself picking up the next book of a beloved series, you definitely know that feeling of worry that the sequel won't be as amazing as the first book and can't possibly live up to your expectations. You think theres just no way the author can match or top how you felt about that first experience with their characters. Worry
USOM
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Heart of Flames defies words. It is a stunning sequel about the raging fire of obsession, the simmering flames of duty, and full of precious characters. Heart of Flames is a gripping sequel that will only stoke the fire of your love for Sev, Elliot, Tristan, Val, and Veronyka. Pau Preto is a master of multiple perspectives, ending each chapter on a hook, enticing us to keep reading
Nikki
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, blog, owlcrate, 2020
THIS REVIEW & MORE → SYNOPSES BY SARGE

I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

In the ending of the last novel of the series, we find out some crazy stuff. Betrayal, phoenixes on fire, and magic are only the beginning of the world of Crown of Feathers.

Following three characters with completely different upbringings, Heart of Flames brings readers three additional characters perspectives to follow on the journey. Tensions are high, everything is at stake, and
Liza Fraser
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC of this book, and it was absolutely incredible! An amazing ride from start to finish, and the perfect follow up to Crown of Feathers. Nicki Pau Preto has done a wonderful job of building her world and her characters. The story is full of magic, action, and even some romance. This is the perfect book for readers who enjoyed Game of Thrones, and I cannot wait to see what is next to come!

You can read my full review here: https://bookishnails.home.blog/2019/1...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Cloak of Night (Circle of Shadows, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Ashlords
  • The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Diamond & Dawn (Amber & Dusk, #2)
  • Winterwood
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Malice
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
Nicki is a YA fantasy author living just outside Toronto, Canada. After getting a degree in visual arts, a masters in art history, and a diploma in graphic design, Nicki discovered two things: she loves to escape the real world, and she isnt interested in a regular 9-5 life. Luckily, her chosen career covers both.

Her YA fantasy debut CROWN OF FEATHERS is out now from Simon Pulse, and the sequel

Crown of Feathers (3 books)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Untitled (Crown of Feathers, #3)