Start by marking “Double Act” as Want to Read:
Double Act

Double Act

Ruby and Garnet are ten-year-old twins. They're identical, and they do EVERYTHING together, especially since their mother died three years earlier - but they couldn't be more different. Bossy, bouncy, funny Ruby loves to take charge, and is desperate to be a famous actress, while quiet, sensitive, academic Garnet loves nothing more than to curl up with one of her favourite ...more
Published October 5th 2006 by Yearling (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Double Act, please sign up.
Christopher Kronyak This book was only written by one author, but it was illustrated by two people. Nick Sharratt illustrated for Ruby and Sue Heap illustrated for Garnet…moreThis book was only written by one author, but it was illustrated by two people. Nick Sharratt illustrated for Ruby and Sue Heap illustrated for Garnet.(less)
Liz Well England in the twins grans house I read this over a year ago but they are always set in England...

Start your review of Double Act
Kerri
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My phone started updating just as I was proofreading my review, which promptly disappeared, so this is my second go, and it's going to be brief now since I want to go to sleep!

I watched the TV movie version of Double Act last night and really enjoyed it, so today I decided to reread the book. Even after seeing the same story just hours ago, I still absolutely love it!

Jacqueline Wilson is one of my favourite authors, and my copy of this is very loved!
Holly
May 11, 2007 rated it liked it
A lot of people loved Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson. Regarded by many as being one of her better written titles, it's still popular nearly twenty years after it was first published.

In fact, I've seen a lot of people lately clamouring for a sequel. "What,' they ask, "happened to the twins afterwards?"

But as for me, I don't want to know. I'm not interested in a Double Act sequel, for one perfectly good reason.

Ruby will probably end up dead.

After you've finished reading that sentence a few times
Megan Baxter
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh, what I will read in the chase for that elusive and dubious honour of having read all the BBC's Big Read books. (I have 13 more to go!) If not for that, I probably never would have discovered Jacqueline Wilson - I missed these books when I was young, and they're not the sort of things I would have otherwise stumbled upon as an adult.

In the mean
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Better than her other tripe but still a bit naff. Full review to follow.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Kikijanika
I got this book as a Christmas present from my mother. It was kind of a joke because I have a twin sister and my mother knows I like to read a lot. It's a short book and quick to read, so it was the first of the books I got this Christmas, that I decided to read.

*SPOILER ALERT*

This book was exactly what I expected it to be. A fun story with and important theme about growing up and finding one's own identity. I can imagine I would have liked it a lot when I was younger. It still had some appeal
Shahrun
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jacqueline Wilson books because they don't shy away from real life. She gets deals with real things many kids go through on a daily basis, in an easy to understand way and accessible way. This book is about identity. How to be yourself when you are considered by all (even yourself) to be inextricably part of a pair. This is true for all relationships - not just the identical twin stars of this book. It also touches on a new member joining a family (after a loss). As an adult reader I was ...more
Leila
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a lovely story about two twin sisters and their little adventures together. Close to the end of the book the story took a big turn that was very sudden but it was very satisfying.
I would definitely recommend reading this book. It's short and fun with a sweet message delivered to the reader.
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
I really enjoyed this book when I was going through my Jackie Wilson phase. I think I perhaps read it four or five times throughout my childhood and early teenage years. I also recall listening to the fantastic audio book on tape!

Ruby and Garnet are identical twins, but couldn't be more different. They live with their dad and stepmother, their own mum having died some time before. Wilson is an expert at creating realistic characters and is probably the closest thing you can get to actual being
F
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read when i was very young. Was nice to read again.
Saadia Munshi
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Double act by Jacqueline Wilson

This book is about two young twins Ruby (the lively confident one) and Garnet ( the shy quiet one). It appears that ruby is the twin that makes all the decisions and it is Garnet that follows her lead. Whilst the the two were young their mother died which resulted in them and their dad moving in with their gran.

Sooner their dad meets a someone called rose and they end up moving to the village to open a book shop, much to the annoyance of the twin girls and their gr
Lisa Smith
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a big Jacqueline Wilson fan and as a child read her books continuously, over and over again. Double Act is about 2 twins and there mum died when they where little and they live with their dad and Nan. But one day her dad comes home saying he has met this lady called Rose. The twins Ruby and Garnet hate her the first time she sees her, which is when their dad brings her home to have tea, out off the blue and their Nan tried her best to be nice to Rose. Then her dad suddenly announced that th ...more
Natasha
Hi everyone! My first book review is on Jacquline Wilson’s Double Act. As a child I was never a big fan of the Jacquline Wilson books; I found her “matter-of-fact” attitude towards reality somewhat bleak. I was therefore pleasantly surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Double Act.

The Double Act is about ten year old identical twins Ruby and Garnet who are exactly the same! Or are they? They look the same, act the same and weigh the same and yet their personalities are very different.
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Wilson is great at making realistic characters that you can quickly come to term with, giving realistic reactions to events.

Her books are great at getting children to really think about actions and their consequences, really opening the eyes of children to the world. Some of her books are sensitive reads yet they are all great at sending life messages to children.

I feel as though Wilson books are a must in the lives of young children, a way of opening their eyes to the real world in the right wa
JK
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whenever I start to feel like a dusty old lady, I know it’s time to transport myself back to childhood by picking up something I read ferociously a thousand times, and loved. Wilson (alongside Dahl and Blyton) is the perfect go-to for this type of behaviour.

Although I probably read this in a fraction of the time it would have taken me twenty (ouch) years ago, it absolutely hasn’t lost its gorgeous charm. Wilson is a master of creativity, telling us the story of the twins straight from their own
Ginadoolan
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
double act is a vibrant, witty story written story about two twins named Ruby and Garnet. Ruby is bossy, lively and brilliant, and Garnet is more meek and mild, but very kind and incredibly caring and careful. I would only recommend this book to a friend, because it is funny and well written.
rose
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was very interesting to read even though i read it in primary i still enjoy the book i think it was a funny and interesting book i had lots of fun reading this and i would recommend to everyone it was a brilliant book i love it.
dom
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
So this was another Jacqueline Wilson reread - once again, I picked up this book at my local library's book sale. I love rereading childhood favourites tbh and this definitely counts as one.
Koni
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. One of the best JW stories. The only problem is that Ruby can be seriously annoying while everyone loves Garnet(including me). This is a really funny book and it must have a sequel.
Rachel
It's a great premise and is well executed. Twin girls who are polar opposites but who rely on each other, Ruby and Garnet are faced with upheaval when their widower father finds a new girlfriend and uproots them to move to a bookshop in the country.
They struggled to come to terms with change, their own different desires and with their own individual identities.
It's a great story for kids, with engaging (but often frustrating) child narrators who each write in their own style with their own sla
Anjali
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book's cover was really colorful which also made me pick it.
Thanks to Oumie.This book has a lot of illustrations which made it a good book to read.

Sometimes the illustrations made me and my friends, Oumie LOL!!!

This book was basically about 2 identical twins who are motherless. They look the same but have different personalities. Ruby is the oldest twin and Garnet is younger. So remember that!!! Ruby and Garnet always stick to each other and Ruby's the one who bosses Garnet around. Ruby li
Melissa Cooney
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ruby and Garnet Barker are ten year old identical twins who live with their dad and grandmother following the death of their mother. The girls are each other’s best friend and believe they will stay together forever. They tell us their story through a series of both entertaining and emotional diary style entries in their ‘accounts book’.
The girls are inseparable, always dressing the same and even have their own special made up language of words and signs only they know. However, although identi
Narin Kim
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe that this book would be really relatable for a twin. As a fan of Jaqueline Wilson's books, Double Act is one of my favorites. The book has described the rivalry and caring between two twin sisters very well, and it shows the good and bad for being a twin. Having a twin sister/brother means there is always someone next to you to keep you company, but it could also mean that they have to learn to become an independent person too. The twin shown in the book Double Act has grown up basical ...more
Neda
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
A very interesting book in that you feel a little bit of twins' worlds! Am not a twin but I think it's dealing with the subject well!
It's the story of twin sisters (Ruby & Garnet) who have lost their mother a few years ago and at the moment are living with their father and grandma! They keep their journal and record their feelings! The verbal narrative is accompanied by funny illustrations done by two different illustrators for each twins! (This idea was also interesting!)
What makes the rising
Harriet Hunt
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Double Act follows the lives of identical twins Ruby and Garnet Barker. Ruby is the dominant twin, born 20 minutes before Garnet, and dreams of being an actress. Garnet is much more timid and prefers to let Ruby take the limelight while she focuses on her studies. However, despite their differences they are best friends and love being twins and spooking people out by doing exactly the same things all the time! Sadly, Ruby and Garnet's mum died when they were little so they live with their Dad an ...more
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book when I was growing up, I cannot recall the amount of times I read it! While the title of this book is 'Double Act' both Ruby and Garnet could not be more different. Ruby is loud, lively and ambitious. Garnet is quiet, clever and thoughtful. But despite being total opposites in personality, they're still the best of friends. The Girls mother died when they were young and so they live with their Dad and their Gran. Their father has a new girlfriend Rose who the girls ...more
Aleisha
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson is about ten year old identical twins called Ruby and Garnet. These twins do quite literally everything together, however since the death of their mother things are constantly changing around them. In the story Dad meets a new woman and the girls find themselves having to adapt to the changes of moving house and making friends in a new a school. The girls find themselves coping with these changes differently and begin to question whether being a double act will re ...more
Oumiie
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
The cover of the book is brightly coloured which made me pick it up as I thought it looked a fun book to read.
The story is about a set of twins and their life and what they think and feel.
Although they are very different in how they dress and how they think they support each other and have been through a great deal together.
It can be quite sad in places but it is really funny too. I think it can be read by 9-15 year olds.
I like the way that not all the pages are full of words and have really
Danielle Siddon
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a book about two twins. One of the twins is very smart her name is Garnet and the other is called Ruby. There are very few people that can tell them apart. When they were babies their mother passed away. A few years later their Dad meets up with a woman named Rose. The twins hate her, and so does their gran. Ruby & Garnet adore their gran but one day they had to leave her and they were very upset and angered by this. They plot to see the back of Rose. The book is action-packed and exciti ...more
Lisa
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: british
This one was okay but not too memorable to me. I didn't really like the back and forth twin dialouge. I think I would have rather heard the story from Garnet's p.o.v. But as usual I loved the illustrations.
Charlotte Jones
This is definitely a book that I don't think transcends age ranges unlike some other children's books. I didn't really like the characters and although the morals and messages were strong, I didn't enjoy this book.
An act this was Arab League in Cairo 1 3 Sep 06, 2015 11:33PM

• Gangsta Granny
  • Driftwood
  • Sundae Girl
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • Best Friends
  • Lucky Star
  • The BFG: A Set of Plays
  • Angel Cake
  • The BFG
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more