Start by marking “The Perfect Birthday Recipe” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Birthday Recipe

The Perfect Birthday Recipe

Summer birthdays can be lonely, but not when you have great friends like Beavers! This year Tortoise, Bird, Rabbit, and Squirrel insist on baking Beaver's birthday cake, but Beaver isn't so sure. He is the ultimate perfectionist and would rather do it himself, following the recipe exactly. Will Beaver's nitpicky ways ruin his birthday and his friendships? The Perfect ...more
Published March 1st 2020 by Capstone Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Birthday Recipe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Birthday Recipe

Start your review of The Perfect Birthday Recipe
MissBecka
Oh man, this book had me giggling A LOT!!!
The story was filled with fun and a little lesson too.
The illustrations beautifully accompany the adorable story.

Thank you NetGalley and Capstone for my DRC.
Schizanthus Nerd
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I absolutely fell in love with A Loud Winter's Nap and The Golden Acorn, and I have read this one so many times now that Ive lost count. Some of the most adorable childrens book illustrations Ive come across are from this series. Its gotten to the point where I dont even care what a Katy Hudson story is about anymore; I need it in my life regardless.

Beaver is a perfectionist. His latest project, which hes been planning very carefully, is a birthday cake. Not content with anything less, this will
Michelle
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are many wonderful things about this series, but the last installment is my favorite!! 1) It is published the day before my birthday 2) It involves a birthday theme and 3) Beaver and I share a lot of similarities that remind me as an adult to chill out a little.

My daughter LOVES this series. She loves the animals and how they do goofy things. The illustrations are GORGEOUS and should be an entire review in itself. If you haven't, please do yourself and buy any book of this series for a
La Coccinelle
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, arc
I didn't realize this was the fourth book in a series, probably because you don't need to have read any of the other books to get something out of this one. The Perfect Birthday Recipe is a story about perfectionism, control, and friendship, cast with cute critters and one very special birthday cake.

When it's time for Beaver's birthday, he's got his perfect cake already planned out. But his friends want to help, and soon the cake is bursting with flavours that Beaver never expected. The cake is
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Capstone and Katy Hudson for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

Ohh my lord YES! This book made me laugh and feel quite deep love for it. Probably because I can relate to it so much. Beaver is a perfectionist. When his friends hear about him having made up a design for the most perfect cake he could think of for his Birthday, (and wow what a cake!), they all wanted to help him with making it. Only, when you are a perfectionist, you want.....well
Etienne
Shelves: a-acheter
This was perfect (no silly joke here it just is)! A cute story about living and accepting things the way they are, the way they came and enjoying life and what is truly important without trying to do perfect all the time. A message that could really help some kids, and some adults too, in a beautiful story with great illustrations! Well done!
Ari
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucas birthday was on the 4th of December, so the timing was simply perfect.
And talking about perfection, so is this story about friendship, about the need for control and the desire for things to be perfectly planned.

*cough* Some of us can definitely relate *cough*

Katy Hudson is a top favourite of ours, her stories always make us laugh, while the colourful & cute illustrations give such joyful vibes. Lucas fell deeply in love again with these characters and he is eager to hold the actual
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
This was an adorable book with beautiful, detailed illustrations. The character, Beaver, wants everything to be perfect for his birthday and he gets very upset with his friends for trying to help and ruining things for him. He is upset and sends his friends away so he can do it right, by himself. He soon realizes, however, that doing it alone is no fun and his friends return to celebrate with him.
The book was perfect for my 6 and 8 year old. They both enjoyed the story.

Lacey ♡☆ Ailene
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My 4 year old loved this story as a read aloud for bedtime! So positive and fun! She has a summer birthday as well so it will be exciting to see how she does with all the school year birthdays.
JenLovesBooks
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute book with a great story behind it. There was a lesson to be learned and it was done in just the right amount of way. With lots of good food, delicious sweets, and friends to help teach each other the true meaning of perfection. It's one my daughter enjoyed and learned even more from. And, both of us couldn't stop talking about the décor and beautiful craft room that belonged to Beaver.

The only thing, was wanting more of this little world and all the characters' involved.
Natalie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What a delightful book this is! I read this with my 7 year old and we both loved it.
The artwork is absolutely beautiful and very detailed too.
The story teaches us that having perfection isn't everything and sometimes just the opposite is more fun if you take the time to enjoy things and have fun with others. The end result may not be what you wanted but was more fun and worthwhile.
Eve beinguniquebooks
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beaver plans his perfect birthday where he plots a huge cake made up of different layers of cake. However as he starts about baking it with his friends it soon goes wrong and after he snaps and bakes it himself realises friends and their feelings matter more than the perfect anything.

All about valuing friendship and with lovely colourful illustrations kids will enjoy this animal packed story!

Many thanks to the publishers for allowing me to review this book for them!
Leah Horton
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Beaver is a perfectionist. His birthday is here and he wants to to be perfect. His friends want to help him and when they do chaos ensues.

Beaver quickly learns that sometimes we need to be more mindful of others feelings and appreciate the help we get.

Cute story. Adorable drawing. Great message.
Victoria
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute fun story about a beaver learning that it is more fun to do things with your friends than it is by yourself. Illustrations are fun and colorful.

Molly Cluff (Library!)
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love love love these illustrations. The cutest, plumpest, fluffiest woodland creatures you'll ever meet! The story is pretty cute (beaver likes things done a particular way, and when his friends help him make his meticulously planned birthday cake, they mess it up). A good message about friendship in the end. The part that was off to me is...why didn't the friends just let beaver make his own cake like he wanted?? It's his birthday, and I didn't think it was so wrong for him to want to have ...more
Arpita Shrivastava
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book touched my heart. It starts with Beaver, who is a perfectionist in every sense and in whatever he does. He is thoughtful, careful and perfect. So his birthday is approaching and his latest project is to make his birthday cake. He has already planned what flavor every layer will be, recipe to bake each layer, the color of the icing on each layer and how is he going to decorate them. On his birthday he is ready with all the ingredients and tools required.

His friends are in awe to see
Janet
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Once Upon a Biblio
**I received this from NetGalley for an honest review. **

Character Development:★★★☆☆
Beautifully crafted, but characters Ive seen plenty of times as the message of this book is very repetitive in childrens books.

Flow of the Story:★★★★☆
Nice flow that children would be able to follow easily.

Illustrations: ★★★★★
Loved how the characters were illustrated for this book.

Overall: I found this childrens book to be very cute. It would make a great read during a childs birthday week. My favorite part
joyce w. laudon
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What makes for a perfect birthday? Is it perfection that makes it perfect? Young listeners will enjoy finding out the answer to that question as they find out about beaver's big day.

Beaver wants the perfect birthday cake and he has the perfect recipe for it. His friends want to help and things do not go as Beaver planned. How does he react? What happens? What is most important? Children will know when they finish the story.

This book is for toddlers and preschoolers. It will gently help them to
Leigh
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Perfect Birthday Recipe is, in fact, perfect. We can all relate to Beaver's perfectionism and anxiety. The story is handled with humor and honesty and my little boy adored it. The illustrations are whimsical, beautiful, and done with such care, that I'm sure they would meet with even Beaver's high expectations.

Long after we finished reading, my son continued to pour over the pictures and asked if there
Christina Potter Bieloh
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, this book is so beautifully illustrated. My son and I were happy just looking at the pictures. But then the story! Oh we loved this story so much. What a great story about friendship. Beaver learned so much about friendship, and what could happen when he was willing to let his need for perfection and control go. I thank Netgalley for this advance copy. I have already pre-ordered this book, and I can not wait to read it to my second grade class in the Spring!

#netgalley
Susan Underbrink
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A big thank you to NetGalley and Capstone Publishing for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. This is the first time reading this author. Cute book, great graphics. Beaver is a perfectionist and his birthday cake didn't go as planned! Yikes..Beaver lowest and helps at his friends. This is about control, not being a perfectionist and friendship. Adults and children alike can benefit from this story. 4 stars
Brenda
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author! Her stories are really cute and the characters are memorable. This one features Beaver who is trying to have the perfect birthday. His friends help him make his cake, which turns out not quite up to his standards. After re-making his cake, he realizes that his friends were just trying to help him have a great birthday. The illustrations are done very well and have a lot of "hidden" features to them (a lot happening).
Chelsea Smith
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is a wonderful story and has an important message that even adults can benefit from. The imagery is wonderful and the message is a positive reminder. Great story! (Thank you to the company for allowing me to read this for free. My views are my own.)
Erin
I love this series and colorful cast of characters so much! The illustrations are adorable as always and the story is sweet and cute and ends with a nice message about friendship and the perils of wanting everything to be perfect all the time.
emyrose8
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5- Super cute illustrations! Lots of little details to find, but they're not critical to the story. There are a lot of other stories out there with similar morals to be learned: it's okay not to be perfect, friendship is the key, etc.

Thanks Netgalley for the ARC! All opinions are my own.
Andrea Wright
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This was adorably perfect from the illustrations to the story itself. In fact I loved it so much that I got onto my library website and requested every book they have from this author to see what other gems she wrote!
Bonnie Grover
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The perfect birthday isnt about perfect ingredients, or perfect recipes, its about being with friends. A cute a beautifully illustrated book. Im anxious to share with my young friends. ...more
Andrea
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beaver is very particular about how he does things, because he wants them to be done right. It is hard for a perfectionist to let go of control! And especially with his birthday coming up, he knows exactly what he wants and how he is going to do it. But then his friends want to help him make this perfect birthday cake, because they don't think he'll have time to do it all by himself. And of course, they want to do something nice for him on his birthday.

And of course everything that can go wrong
Debbie Smith
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Beaver likes to be totally in charge of his life and what goes on around him. Some might call him a perfectionist. And they would be right. Though perfection to one might be different for another, Beaver has a clear idea of what is perfect.

And for his birthday he has spent time creating the perfect recipe for the perfect cake. But when he tells his friends about the perfect multi-layered cake that he plans to make, they say its too much work for one person.

So Tortoise, Bird, Rabbit, and Squirrel

• The Lobsters' Night Before Christmas
  • There's Room for Everyone
  • Cuddle Monkey
  • The Very Last Leaf
Katy Hudson won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book Award Gold in 2014 for her illustrations in the book Animal Teachers. Her debut picture book, Bear and Duck, received strong reviews, including a starred review from Kirkus. Katy is the author of the best-selling picture books Too Many Carrots and A Loud Winter's Nap, which both received numerous positive reviews. Katy lives in London.

From

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...