Start by marking “The Prodigal Girl” as Want to Read:
The Prodigal Girl

The Prodigal Girl

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  277 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Betty Thornton knew what she wanted, and it wasn't her father's boring lifestyle. So when Betty's father insists on moving the family to a farm in Vermont, she turns to dashing Dudley Weston—and his promises of excitement and marriage—as the answer to her problems. Then, through a terrifying chain of events, Betty finds herself abandoned in a snowstorm! Now her only hope f ...more
Published February 21st 1996 by Living Books (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Prodigal Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prodigal Girl

Majenta
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book features one of many "Bettys" in Grace Livingston Hill's books, and early on, Betty's little sister shocks her family by announcing that her teacher taught the class that their "aunt's sisters were monkeys"! But when Father gets home he has gone from trying to decide what color (or even what shade of a particular color) car to buy for teenage daughter Betty, to gleaning from idle salty talk from the uncouth whippersnappers behind him on his homeward train that his dear little Betty mig ...more
Mary
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I first got saved back in the '80's! I loved it then and I still love it. It's been over 20 years since I first read it and thoroughly enjoyed it again. This was the first book I read by Grace Livingston Hill and it hooked me completely. I have read others by her but this is my favorite by far!
Pamela Shropshire
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago but didn't own a copy. I recently bought one at the local library sale. A FB discussion on GLH made me decide to reread it.

GLH was a wonderful storyteller; that cannot be denied regardless of one's opinion of her subject matter. Her work has a lovely flow and her descriptions are beautiful. For example, she described the moon in the night sky as "a silver boat on a sapphire sea."

This particular story tells about a modern family with a Christian background and who are c
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the other reviewers said something like this book almost seemed apt for today, and I think I agree. Save for some period slang, this story felt almost contemporary to me. Of course, the things that scandalized the father in this story would be scoffed at as nothing today, but then, that's kind of the point.
Anyhow, let me explain better. This, really, is a story of a father, who realizes, in an abrupt and upsetting manner, that he's been so wrapped up in work that he hasn't been paying at
Kristine Hansen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Betty has gone bad...When Chester finally looks up from his work long enough to see his family, what he sees appalls him entirely. His oldest daughter is out drinking and smoking to all hours - she's intimate with boys. His next daughter is acting in vulgar ways, showing off her body and dancing in lewd manner in public. His son gambles and comes home drunk, and the youngest ones are talking evolution. And his wife is immersed in pop psychology and letting the children do whatever they want.

And
Kelly Alison
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was my first GLH book, which I picked up at my grandmother's. I was intrigued by the simplicity of the novel's fundamental Christian themes told in a setting of simpler times. Admittedly, the first half of the book was more challenging to get through because the perceived demise of the family resulting from their evil ways is told almost strictly from Chester, the father. The second half of the novel which provides an account of the family's trials and tribulations while in exile on a small ...more
Anna
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was surprised to find a GLH novel I had never read. This one didn't ring quite as true as some of the others in my opinion. The children's transformation seemed a bit forced, and I didn't quite like the sermon in the form of the pastor/teacher's exposition - it seemed a bit too preachy. Most of her books introduce the topic more naturally, in the course of conversation. Also, Betty's adventures seemed a bit much for one person, especially setting out to walk 40+ miles in the snow with no winte ...more
This was my first experience reading GLH, and I was pleasantly suprised. I expected the story to drag on, but it was actually an intriguing and quick-paced story. My only qualms are some weird theology, a good deal of repetition, and more than a little melodrama. All in all though, I liked it, and would read another GLH book without hesitation.
Cynthiakay
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much!!! What a great story of true love and God's redemption... so beautiful and so sweet brought me to tears!!! Loved the story of the prodigal girl!!!! A beautiful picture of salvation....
Rachel
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these clean Christian romances by Grace Livingston Hill; however, I will say that her good characters are almost too perfect and her bad ones horribly evil, which can make them amusing although that's not the intent.
Diana Ware
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved this book. These books written in the early 1900's are so apropos today it is unbelievable. She goes much deeper in to the spiritual side of her characters than today's Christian Romance writers do. They are not just a good read, they are a spiritual journey.
Jerry
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Christian romance with a timeless appeal. Grace Livingston Hill may be long gone, but she lives on through her writings...and for good reason.
Bonita
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read my review at... http://forhisgloryandpraise.wordpress...
Partridge Public
Hill, Grace Livingston
Caroline
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My first GLH book: the simplicity of the story, contrast between good and evil, along with a domestic eye for description really turned me into a fan of her fiction.
Becky
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think you have to keep in mind this was written many years ago and has a certain dramatic flair to it that you wouldn't see today. Having said that, I have to say that it kept my interest and I really liked the setting of a Vermont farm in winter. Also, I almost felt as if I was with Betty as she strived to make her way back home. Her thoughts and emotions during that period were expressed very well. I thought the ending was rather abrupt and would have liked a little more information....like ...more
Andrea
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of GLH's best. I have all of them and have read all of them, some 3 or 4 times. This has a strong message of forgiveness. It could apply to 2017 families and what parents and kids are being taught today.
Vickie
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading this paragraph I had to share it with anyone that would listen. "Now you know, however much you may pretend that you are your own masters and mistresses, that that isn't the case at all. You are all our children, and in the eyes of the law - you are still under age and therefore under our control. Also, you have a moral obligation, whether you own it or not, to obey me as long as I am supporting you, whether you like it or not." This book was written in 1929, but I heard basically ...more
Carrie Milkanin
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A timeless novel dealing with parents who doubt their parenting and rebellious children. In desperation they move to their remote farmhouse where father grew up.
Lin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Honor Girl
  • Ester Ried
  • Lighted Windows
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • A Way Through The Sea (Young Underground #1)
  • The Lion's Skin
  • The Happy Hollisters And The Trading Post Mystery (Happy Hollisters, #7)
  • Highland Crossings (Romancing America)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • The Soul Saver
  • A Wedding to Remember in Charleston, South Carolina
  • Stone of Help (The Annals of Lystra #2)
  • A Ranger's Trail (Texas Trails, #4)
  • Down the Rabbit Hole, Chicago, Illinois, 1871: The Diary of Pringle Rose (Dear America)
  • Unbridled Dreams
also wrote under the pseudonym Marcia MacDonald
also published under the name Grace Livingston Hill Lutz

A popular author of her day, she wrote over 100 novels and numerous short stories of religious and Christian fiction. Her characters were most often young female ingénues, frequently strong Christian women or those who become so within the confines of the story.

niece to Isabella MacDonald Alden
More about Grace Livingston Hill

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
  • Visibly Broken
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • With This Ring (Vanza, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Hell Breaks Loose
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
  • 99 Days
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99