Start by marking “The Girl in the Painting” as Want to Read:

The Girl in the Painting

For readers of the The True Story of Maddie Bright, The Woman in the Green Dress and The Birdman's Wife comes this atmospheric and richly detailed Australian historical mystery from a bestselling Australian author.

Maitland 1913. Miss Elizabeth Quinn is something of an institution in Maitland Town. For longer than anyone could remember she and her brother, businessman
Published December 16th 2019 by HarperCollins Publishers Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Painting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Painting

Start your review of The Girl in the Painting
Kylie D
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable novel by Tea Cooper, The Girl In The Painting is a dual timeline account of brother and sister Michael and Elizabeth Quinn, who arrived in Sydney by boat in the 1860s. The first timeline is set in the gold mining town of Hill End, where their parents have settled, and Michael and Elizabeth are to join them from Ireland. The second timeline is set years later in Maitland, where Michael and Elizabeth have settled after the gold rush.

One day at a local art exhibition Elizabeth is
Mandy White
The Girl In the Painting by Tea Cooper is a wonderful historical fiction mostly set in Australia. It is the first book by this writer that I have read. It was a really enjoyable read and I will definitely keep an eye out for more of her books in the future.

The story alternates for most of the book between Jane, a young orphan who is taken in by brother and sister Michael and Elizabeth Quinn, and also from the siblings travels to Australia from England in in the 1860’s . Jane is a very clever
Veronica ⭐️
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
As soon as I heard of The Girl in the Painting I was expecting to love it. Dual time line Historical Fiction set in colonial Australia; it already featured a few of my favourite themes. And I’m happy to say Tea Cooper didn’t disappoint. The Girl in the Painting is totally immersive. I was hooked right from the beginning. William and Elizabeth Quinn are immediately likeable and young Jane Piper’s character is quirky and endearing.

Marianne
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Girl in the Painting is a historical fiction novel by best-selling Australian author, Téa Cooper. In Maitland Town in 1913, Jane Piper is still counting her blessings that Michael and Elizabeth Quinn chose her from the orphanage. Not to adopt, but to further her education and realise an undreamt-of career as an accountant. In her first interview, she told Michael: “I like numbers, sir. See, they don’t lie, sir. Not like people. There’s only right or wrong, no in-betweens” and that still ...more
Karren  Sandercock
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank to NetGalley, Harlequin Australia and Tea Cooper for my copy of her new book: The Girl In The Painting.

In 1906, Jane Piper is living in the local orphanage in Maitland, one day she is directed by the nuns to dress in her Sunday best and summoned down stairs. Michael Quinn a local business man wants to talk to her and she has no idea why? Jane was left at the orphanage as a baby, no one has ever wanted to adopt her, she talks too much and has a habit of saying whatever pops into her head at
Gloria Arthur
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Girl in the Painting by Tea Cooper

A mystery tale of secrets and dark memories

This was a delightful and compelling read, told in two timelines, the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. The Girl In The Painting is a historical mystery tale and had me quite intrigued.

It’s the year 1862 in Birkenhead, England, siblings Michael, fifteen and Elizabeth O’Cuinn, four are boarding the ship and emigrating to Australia to be reunited with their parents who have been trying to make a new and better life in the
Brenda
It was 1863 when Michael Ó’Cuinn and his little sister Elizabeth left London bound for Australia. Their Mam and Da had gone earlier, leaving the two children with an aunt, but her death meant the journey to join their parents took place sooner than originally planned. Leaving Elizabeth with the Camerons in Sydney while Michael searched for their parents, the shock he faced meant he had to do some rapid growing up.

Fifty years later in 1913, Michael and Elizabeth lived in Maitland, NSW. They were
Karren  Sandercock
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

In 1906, Jane Piper is living in the local orphanage in Maitland, one day she is directed by the nuns to dress in her Sunday best and summoned down stairs. Michael Quinn a local business man wants to talk to her and she has no idea why? Jane was left at the orphanage as a baby, no one has ever wanted to adopt her, she talks way too much and has a habit of saying whatever pops into her
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘The bell rang late.’

The story opens in Maitland Town, Australia in 1906 and then shifts to Birkenhead, England in 1862. It ends in Maitland Town in 1913. What is the story that links these places and years?
In 1862, fifteen-year-old Michael Ó’Cuinn and his four-year-old sister Elizabeth left Birkenhead to join their parents in Australia. Their parents had left Ireland to try to make a better life in the goldfields at Hill End and the siblings had been staying with an aunt.

By 1906, Michael Quinn
Iwasaplatypus
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tea Cooper never disappoints me. I love her tales of intrepid women centred smack in the middle of Australian history so was really looking forward to reading The Girl in the Painting and she didn’t let me down!
The story stretches from Liverpool in England, to the Goldfields in NSW, and eventually to Maitland in The Hunter Valley.
Elizabeth was four when she migrated to Australia with her older brother Michael. After a shaky start, Michael prospers in the auction business, and they move to
Brooklyn Tayla
A huge thank you to the team at Harlequin Books Australia for inviting me to partake in theHerStorycampaign! Essentially this Campaign involves reading and reviewing a selection of forthcoming and current titles published by Harlequin Australia, each book containing a strong character that ignores society’s standards of women just filling the roles that they should, these women rebel and stand up for themselves and don’t stand quietly in the corners at all!
The Girl in the Paintingtakes readers
Vivi Widodo
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the book from Tea Cooper which made me hooked right from the start then to the point of “I can’t stop reading this but I don’t want it to end”. The author presents each character strongly especially Elizabeth Quinn and Jane Piper. Elizabeth and her brother, Michael immigrated to Australia in 1863 and the story continues with them taking Jane from an orphanage , offering her for further education and living with them. The mystery starts when Elizabeth found cowering in the corner of the ...more
Naomi
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chapters alternate between two distinct time periods. One is from Jane Piper, an orphan who is cared for by two wealthy benefactors, Michael Quinn and his sister Elizabeth. Jane’s perspective is set in the early 1900s in Maitland Town. The other is the story of Michael and Elizabeth Quinn, from their arrival in Australia from England in the 1860s, through the gold rushes in Hill End (Bathurst) and their path to Maitland Town.

The elder Michael and Elizabeth are now successful local business
Helen
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tea Cooper is a fabulous story teller and this book was beautifully written, a wonderful read with rich and engaging characters, I got to know Michael and Elizabeth so well, I felt their emotions as we journeyed from England to Australia in times that were tough and exciting a time of change, this is a captivating story that had me turning the pages.

The late 1860’s and a young Michal O’Cuinn is emigrating with his young sister Elizabeth to Australia to meet up with his parents, things don’t turn
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The Girl In the Painting is an engaging historical fiction novel, with an element of mystery, from Tea Cooper.

Set largely in New South Wales during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, the narrative of The Girl In the Painting moves between two timelines which connects siblings Elizabeth and Michael Ó’Cuinn with Jane Piper, a bright young orphan, who becomes their ward.

As the story unfolds we learn of the circumstances that brought Michael and Elizabeth to New South Wales from Liverpool, England in
Karen
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I did not think that this book would be entertaining. How wrong I was. The Girl In The Painting had me hooked from the beginning. I fell in love with both Elizabeth and Jane and their complex stories. Elizabeth and her brother Michael Quinn emigrate to Australia to reunite with their parents for a better future. Several twists and turns later their story has them relocating from the Gold Fields to Maitland, where Jane Piper enters. Jane is an orphan taken in by the Quinn’s, eventually ...more
Belle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Girl in the Painting by Tea Cooper is one of those books where you find yourself saying repeatedly, "Just one more chapter!" It's a delightful and cleverly written novel that draws you in as the story weaves it's way through the characters present and past. She gives away just enough to make you want to keep reading but not enough to give away where the story is going. I found this book such a pleasure to read as chapter after chapter the pieces of the puzzle came together to reveal a ...more
Anna Loder
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had to slow down reading it because I was enjoying it so much. Colonial Australia and entrepreneurship was so interesting. I loved getting to see Liverpool, Hill End and Maitland in the late 1800s/ early 1900s. Loved getting to know the people and their issues. Loved Jane, Elizabeth and Michael. Loved the mystery. Absolutely loved it all
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received from Harper Collins Australia for an honest review

I am on a bit of a run of Australian historical fiction stories at the moment, and the chance to read a copy of new-to-me author Tea Cooper's The Girl In The Painting was too good to refuse.

Ms Cooper has given us a story with intriguingly woven storylines, told over a 50 year period that I was impatient to turn the next page.

Michael, Elizabeth and Jane's gives us a snippet of the life of our Australian ancestors. Sometimes I think
Escape into a Booksite
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-paperback
*4 Stars*

ARC kindly received via Harlequin Australia in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very well written, intricately woven historical fiction. At first I wasn't too sure how long it would take me to get into the story, because it does flick back and forth between past and present for a while, but as things started to progress, I found myself very intrigued by certain aspects of the story.

Telling the story of Michael and Elizabeth Quinn, and then also in the present day, their
Emma Moon
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Girl in the Painting by Tea Cooper, was a captivating read! I was hooked right from the start, jumping from 1860 onwards to the early 1900's it follows Michael and Elizabeth's story to riches. Then when Elizabeth takes a turn, the past catches up with Michael leaving you trying to guess what his secret could be, then when the secrets is revealed, trying to join all the dots together.
A gripping story that had me sucked in from the start, eager to piece the puzzle together!
Chapter Ichi
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you @harlequinaus for sending me a proof copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

The Girl in the Painting is a mysterious and poignant historical fiction novel.

Tea Cooper is a master of the dual timeline novel. The story follows two strong female protagonists and their intertwined stories. This is another of Tea's novels in which the female characters show their attempt to defy society's expectations of what a woman should be and work hard to be true to themselves. Elizabeth's
Jem
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you @harlequinaus for sending a copy to review. This one is an Australian Historical Fiction and overall enjoyed the book. It is told from first person and follows the story of Jane, Michael and Elizabeth as the past collides with the future. The story alternates between the present, 1913, and many years earlier when Michael and Elizabeth first came to Australia. I felt the story flowed well and the contrast between the two different timelines worked well to tell the story.
There was an
Emma Reekie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The girl in the painting is a historical fiction novel written by Tea Cooper and set across two timelines, one in the 1800’s and one in the 1900’s and is based in Australia. It tells the story of a young Irish immigrant, Michael, who gets the boat to Australia with his sister, to be reunited with his parents.
I enjoyed this book, a family mystery set against the background of the gold rush in Australia. At first I did not understand how the title of the book related to the story but I enjoyed
marlin1
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction hasn’t been my choice of genre for a while (unless it’s a dual timeline) but the synopsis sounded enticing and I’m aware that the author is very popular. This story is a dual timeline but set in the 1860s and 1913, not historical and contemporary like I usually read.
It did start a little slow for me but I felt it just took a little while to set the characters and storyline. I liked the two strong female characters and found the timeframes easy to follow.
By the second half, I
Monique Mulligan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

Tea Cooper weaves an intricate and intriguing tale with The Girl in the Painting. Strong, memorable characters, terrific scene-setting, and clever writing bring this historical fiction to life - with some of my favourite scenes those set in the gold mining town of Hill End. I really enjoyed the way characters were reunited with secrets from their past, sweeping me along for the satisfying ride.

This is the first book I've read by Tea Cooper and it won't be the last.
Pam Tickner
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Better Reading for my ARC. This is another excellent historical fiction from Cooper who effortlessly weaves an engaging story with strong female protagonists into a fascinating Australian background. It is hard to put down as pieces of the mystery of Elizabeth's breakdown are slowly revealed. I'm choosing this for the summer read for my book club!
Donna McEachran
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it...got very caught up in the Michael/Elizabeth story.
Helen
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl In The Painting is another fabulous read from Tea! Here she has successfully given her readers the perfect historical mystery in a dual time narrative only separated by 50 years. Centreing around a young brother and sister’s immigration to Australia in the 1860s and then years later where they are firmly established in society.

There are a number of narrators throughout both timelines but there is never any confusion, in fact, it assists in understanding and engaging thoroughly with
Lesley Moseley
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, well defined characters. Well-written.

• The Daughter of Victory Lights
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • The Clergyman's Wife: A Pride and Prejudice Novel
  • The Last Paradise
  • Silver
Tea Cooper writes Australian contemporary and historical fiction. In a past life she was a teacher, a journalist and a farmer. These days she haunts museums and indulges her passion for storytelling.