Start by marking “Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual” as Want to Read:
Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual

Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual

The ultimate guide on leadership from the #1 New York Times bestselling co-author of Extreme Ownership.

In the military, a field manual provides instructions in simple, clear, step-by-step language to help soldiers complete their mission. In the civilian sector, books offer information on everything from fixing a leaky faucet to developing an effective workout program to co
Published January 14th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
Genevieve
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t a book that you should read cover to cover. In my opinion, I’d recommend reading Jocko’s other books, Extreme Ownership, Dichotomy of Leadership, and Discipline Equals Freedom first. Then, after some self-reflection—once you understand the principles taught in those books, you can use this book the way It was intended to. This books helps guide you along “The path of discipline” which is discussed in Discipline Equals Freedom. This book is truly a field manual. If you understand the f ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
This author has a devoted podcast following, but I came to this not familiar with him or his work. This is a leadership/management book giving levelheaded advice largely based around “soft skills” like motivating people and building relationships. There’s definitely a place for that—when the “hey, back off, take input from your team and don’t let your ego get in the way” is coming from a former Navy SEAL commander, everybody else can relax a little bit about whether not constantly barking orders ...more
Rhett Reisman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is an easy to consume summary of lessons from Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership written as a manual meant to be revisited.

I’ve found the tactics in those books useful professionally, and plan on buying a physical copy of this book to revisit and page through - the audiobook is great too though.

If you want a comprehensive book/guide on military/business/any kind of leadership with no extra fluff, this is it.
Adam Nowak
(audiobook) Hearing Jocko's voice always triggers something positive in me, I simply can't say "no" to his guidance.

This book is a good, structured summary of what we've learned in Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win and The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win. Jocko tries to balance military experiences with business situations which he encountered as a consultant. There's no game-changing content here, a lot of things were disc
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed 2 earlier books JW has created together with Leif Babin, so I've decided to reach for the 3rd one. Obviously, the style doesn't differ much - if you've liked EO & DoL, you'll like this much as well. What about the content? Does it differ much? Frankly, I wouldn't say JW has a lot of "new" stuff to share with the reader - it's not really about breakthrough thoughts or innovative ideas.

What does differ is the convention - this one is supposed to be some sort of a manual, better struct
Benjamin Hall
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t recommend this book enough. It goes right to the top like both of Jocko’s other books. Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership! Read them all!
Beverly Duffy
Dec 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Truly motivating tactics to be a successful leader. He gave great insight and common concerns that could be a downfall to not leading properly. Great read will be adding other books from this author.
Jason Young
Jun 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2021, audio
This book builds on the previous two and provides plenty of actionable content for leaders top to bottom.
Luke Deacon
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful book - not only for leadership, but also for areas such as communication, conflict resolution, pride and humility, etc. I love the mix of theory backed up by frequent and interesting real-life examples from Jocko’s life.
Ross Sheddon
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Basically a Greatest Hits. Better to read Extreme Ownership, as this guide looses the narrative and nuance.
Michael Janes
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Audiobook) While it does include advice and examples from the business world, this book is an ideal step-by-step guide for young military Officers. I came in somewhat biased against the book, (not sure why), but I came away loving it. Jocko gives real world examples of nearly all the problems a leader will face but better yet, he gives clear-cut instructions on how to best navigate the pitfalls. I've yet to encounter a leadership book with such succinct and useful instructions. It's rare to fin ...more
Kristina
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
“If the team succeeds, you win as a leader and as a person. But infinitely more important, your people will win, and that is true leadership.”
I listened to the book so grammatically, I may have butchered the punctuation, but the words are correct.
This was a great listen as Jocko himself narrates and is very motivational. I hope to retain and consciously follow at least a third of what’s in here. And then I’ll read or listen again and retain even more... Rinse and repeat. The goal is over time,
Mike
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of great points reiterated from Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership. Only downfall is not a ton of new material and I personally found it harder to stay engaged as the other two books. The other two provided a lot of real life stories which for me personally was more engaging of a read.
Paul Smith
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read - loved the application of military experience to a larger audience

This book discusses many of the fundamentals that we preach but unfortunately seldom practice. Seeing practical advice and how it can be applied to a variety of situations is helpful and I intend to add some of these tactics to my daily interactions.
RJ Bates III
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book I have read that was written by Jocko Willink and it did not disappoint. Not intended to compare to Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership in format, I found this manual to be a resource that I will reference for many years to come as a leader.
Eric
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good advise and wise insights from a trusted and established leader.
Brian
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
jocko does it again, but even more clearly and plainly than Extreme ownership. must read.
aaaaljaz
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jocko delivers yet again with this insightful field manual for leaders
Fares
So much to unpack. Great wisdom and advice. Obviously reflective of vast experience in the field, yet applicable to many other environments in life.
Colin Nelson-Pinkston
Another Jocko classic!
Eric
Jan 06, 2021 rated it liked it
Every person is a leader in some capacity. This is a useful and straightforward book on navigating the nuanced situation leadership entails.
Jessica Bernasky
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift from my boss and I initially didn’t think I’d be able to get through it. There was so much good information in it. I recently started the task of training new 911 dispatchers and this book gave so much good advice! Highly recommend!
Mike Gremillion
Aug 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great book full of no nonsense practical leadership and tactical teamwork guidance. Not always groundbreaking but effortlessly applicable
Tyler Harrington
Jan 26, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 - If you are familiar with Jocko Willink none of what he says will come as a surprise here. However it was incredibly helpful and insightful to read through once and then keep on hand for it’s intended use as a “field manual”.
Jp Sanchez
Feb 01, 2022 rated it liked it
Some insight scattered throughout the book, but quite surface level overall. Cool examples and stories from Willink from when he was a junior in a platoon, to when he was higher in rank. I would recommend this as introductory reading to someone looking to lead or manage, or looking to advance their careers.
Sharon Leger
Sep 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This should be required reading! So good.
Zachary Carson
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An easy to read breakdown of leadership strategies. Jocko takes information from his two books, Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership, and smashes them together in a more strategy based approach.
Will West
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Another one. Brilliant. HOWEVER, it's more like a refresher of extreme ownership and dichotomy of leadership. Use this as review/reference. Wouldn't recommend as a first Jocko book. Read his other material first. Then use this as a companion. ...more
Adam
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great break broken into small sections to read on leadership. Will definitely need to review from time to time.
Clayton Kessler
Dec 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
If you breathe, read this book.

• The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • The Way of Men
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Ten Signs of a Leadership Crash
  • Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way
  • Beginners Guide to Conquering an Ironman Triathlon: 13 weeks to completing your 1st Ironman Triathlon
  • Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious
  • The Art of Possibility
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • Brain Droppings
  • String Theory: David Foster Wallace on Tennis
  • Kolymsky Heights
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • The Top Gear years
  • About Face: Odyssey Of An American Warrior
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
  • Man Uncivilized
War
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...
“So how can a leader become great if they lack the natural characteristics necessary to lead? The answer is simple: a good leader builds a great team that counterbalances their weaknesses.” 8 likes
“The goal of leadership seems simple: to get people to do what they need to do to support the mission and the team.” 1 likes