Start by marking “The White Lady” as Want to Read:
The White Lady

The White Lady

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
If there was one thing Constance Wetherill would not accept, it was pity. So when her family lost their fortune, she slipped away from town, determined to start a new life. And she succeeded wonderfully! Not only did she establish a thriving business, she discovered the wonder of service to Christ--and found love with a dedicated young minister.

Then the night of the great
Published February 1st 1994 by Living Books

To ask other readers questions about The White Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Lady

Judy Egnew Ness
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hill's stories are my "guilty pleasure-escapist reading." I can't stand so-called "romance" novels, but for Grace Livingston Hill I make an exception. I can lose myself in her superb descriptions of life in the 1920s - 1940s, from the clothing they wore, to the food they ate, where they lived, what they drove, and the music they listened to. Her heroines were good, strong, resourceful women of deep faith, who overcame insurmountable obstacles through persistence and prayer. And when there is a r ...more
Heather
Very improbable. I like the way Constance's plan to make it on her own requires a faithful servant to do all the cooking and cleaning at her tea room.
Desertisland
Grace Livingston Hill wrote around 100 novels--and I think I may own copies of them all. (Some I bought years ago at library booksale, editions dating from maybe 1930's which were going for perhaps 50 cents each or less --but no one else was interested, maybe because demographics of area had changed. I also own a number of Christian novels by her aunt and mentor, Isabel Alden.

After reading WOMAN IN WHITE by Wilkie Collins, I understand reasons for some parts of WHITE LADY that had made me wonder
michael
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Christian author of all time.

I was quite young when I was introduced to Grace Livingston Hill by an elderly lady who he lived during the time when Mrs. Hill lived. She had the complete works in her personal library and graciously let me borrow them. I became hooked and vowed that one day I would have them too. Thanks to Kindle for helping me make my dream come true. These books are fresh, wholesome, and sweet love stories. I would recommend them to everyone.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
This is set in the 1920s, featuring a society heiress in New York who suddenly hears that she has lost her fortune. A bit predictable but pleasant enough reading, though there were rather too many authorial asides. A clear Christian message which wasn't too instrusive. Enjoyable light read, on the whole.

Katie
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fiction, 16
Probably one of my least favorite of GLH so far. i know her formula, but this one was just not that interesting to me.
Anna
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sweet little romance, but there were too many ends left dangling throughout the book which made it a bit frustrating.
Katrina