Start by marking “Gotham High” as Want to Read:
Gotham High

Gotham High

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Alex and Eliza and The Witches of East End comes a reimagining of Gotham for a new generation of readers. Before they became Batman, Catwoman, and The Joker, Bruce, Selina, and Jack were high schoolers who would do whatever it took--even destroy the ones they love--to satisfy their own motives.

After being kicked out of his b
Published April 7th 2020 by DC Ink

To ask other readers questions about Gotham High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham High

Start your review of Gotham High
Jessica
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for free from DC Comics.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

This graphic novel takes the iconic Batman characters and puts them in a high school setting. It reminded me a lot of the show, Riverdale. There’s mystery and lots of high school drama.

What I really loved was the diversity. Bruce Wayne’s mom is from Hong Kong, which makes him half Asian. I found that so refreshing. There’s been so many versions of Bruce Wayne over the years and they are always
Gigi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Artwork: 5 ⭐
Story: 2.5 ⭐

** UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT **

I'm gonna be the first to address the elephant in the room! Did anyone else not see a problem with Bruce Wayne being Chinese?! Seriously..his name may as well have been changed to Bruce Wang.

Let me break it down to you:

- Bruce Wayne is Chinese or half Chinese.

-Martha, Bruce's mom, is from Hong Kong and Chinese. WTF?

- Alfred (the uncle & butler) is also Chinese, but has a white last name?

-Selina Kyle is Hispanic (nothing wrong with that)

-Ivy
Chad
May 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'd call this an Elseworlds tale, but there's not much at all Batman related. It's more a trashy teen drama like Riverdale only retaining the names of the original characters. All of the characters have had their ethnicity reimagined to make the book more inclusive. Bruce Wayne is now half-Asian, Selina Kyle is now Hispanic, Alfred is now Bruce's gay Asian uncle, etc. Honestly, if they didn't use the character's names, you'd never know this was based on Batman at all and I think that's my proble ...more
Scott
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
"There's nothing enjoyable about high school . . . " -- teenage Bruce Wayne, on page 161

Well, Mr. soon-to-be-Dark Knight, that's where we disagree -- I personally felt it was junior high (or middle school, depending on your district's set-up) that was terrifically unenjoyable. But I digress -- Gotham High presents teenage versions of the off-duty alter egos of Batman, Catwoman, the Joker, Poison Ivy and Two-Face as (with the exception of Ivy, however) classmates at the titular institute for high
Melanie (mells_view)
I’m sad to give this a 3, because the illustrations are just that beautiful. The art is so bright and fun, and it doesn’t (in my opinion) deserve to have less than a great rating. That being said... I couldn’t rate this higher, because there were a few things that I found problematic in this one. I did enjoy the bones of the story overall. Sort of the Robin Hood trope blended against the vigilante in training trope. Bruce is in that mode of save everyone in his high school/city and the “villain” ...more
Stay Fetters
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was one of the graphic novels that I picked up at ALA that I was really excited to read. I enjoy all things Gotham and Melissa de la Cruz is a force to be reckoned with. This combination should have been explosive but it irritated me more than anything.

There were too many things that bothered me, things that I couldn't look past and that made this unbearable. We are living in a time where women can use their minds and speak up and not have to live in the past. So why is the only main femal
Khurram
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
High school where villains are made. I keep changing my mind of this I did like this book. It is not Batman but an acceptable and enjoyable Elseworld. I would have given this this 3.5 stars but I think it deserved the a round up.

The are work is good, I liked the modernisation and ethnic mixing of the characters. I like the bit of Batman lore in the book. I don't mind that Bruce is more swagger than stealth as this is set in high school.

The parts I did not like about the book is the mystery elem
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chaste, graphic-novel
"Batman in high school"?!? I definitely want to try that. Sadly, the Batman part is just a gimmick and it probably would have worked much better without that heritage as a promise. At least for me.

The art is gorgeous and the graphic novel elements are outstanding (layout matters, as does framing, and all the rest of those graphical elements) and smooth as silk. So it has that going for it.

I wonder how I'd have reacted if it hadn't been a Batman story. I mean, I only picked it up because it was,
Nursebookie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gotham High tells the story of Bruce Wayne as a teen in high school with a cast of characters that will suddenly become well too familiar. De La Cruz wrote this fast paced and highly entertaining graphic novel reimagined for old fans and new.

In this world, Bruce Wayne is half Chinese, with his uncle Alfred from Hong Kong managing his billion dollar trust fund, Catwoman Selina as part Latina and Ivy as Korean.

Their back story was introduced which included a love triangle, kidnapping, hardships
✨ LADYCOMICBOOK ✨
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*Special thanks to DC Comics for letting me read an advanced copy of Gotham High in exchange for an honest review.

Gotham High is a YA graphic novel by Melissa de la Cruz that follows the lives of highschoolers Selina Kyle, Bruce Wayne, and Jack Napier. This novel is a part of DC’s new “DC Ink” line of graphic novels tailored for young adult audiences. Gotham High presents a fresh and fun reimagining of some of DC Comics’ beloved characters before they became the iconic characters we know today!
TJ
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Full review/discussion HERE.

I love this reimagining and the diversity, but it was super cliche and predictable. Gotham High embraces all of the worst qualities of teen soaps like Riverdale, but it definitely has a trashy fun element to it. The diversity in this book is going to make so many straight, white fanboys angry— and that may be the only thing I actually loved about it. What fanfiction site did this originate from again? 2.2/5 stars.
Jen
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
After sleeping on this, I’ve decided I don’t like how they portray women in this book. Manipulative and conniving and lying. I don’t like it. Downgraded to 2 stars. Original review below.

Meh, not great. Takes a lot of liberties with the original characters. Not bad, but not really my fav. 3, it was ok, stars.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you DC Ink for the gifted review copy in exchange for an honest review!

This was a book with such a great twist!

Ever thought about what it would be like to have Bruce Wayne, Selina Kyle and Jack Napier in high school? well, look no further because this is the graphic novel for you. It was different than the stories we grew up used to especially about the lives of these characters.

There was also the diversity in this which was unexpected but was also a pleasant surprise and definitely made t
Lea | That_Bookdragon
2.5/5 ⭐️

Thank you so much to DC Comics for providing me with a free e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion!

If you guys didn’t know, I’ve been a fan of graphic novels and comics for a while now so when I was invited to review Gotham High by Melissa de la Cruz and illustrated by Thomas Pitilli, I literally jumped up in the train!

What you need to know first is that this story reads like a completely new AU which took a lot of liberties with the original canon of characters we have com
Jessica
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Batman story so much! I usually find them too weird or too "insider." ("What, you haven't read 200+ of the most seminal Batman comics? How dare you even try to read this one!")

But this was a great, slick YA reimagining, giving it a modern spin that I really loved. Bruce's mother was Chinese, a superstar, whose loss is mourned by her fans as well as her son. Her brother, Alfred, is now responsible for Bruce, who has studied martial arts, speaks Mandarin, and has
The Artisan Geek
1/4/20
This was disappointing, I unfortunately didn't enjoy it. The storyline was lacklustre, the narrator lacked a lot of depth and logic - stereotype of a woman who is extremely manipulative, self-absorbed and just plain nasty who enjoys men to suffer. Beside that all the other characters were rather detestable in a way (they didn't feel like real, smart or logical characters to me) that didn't make me excited about the narrative.

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Websi
Ryan Stewart
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I wish I hadn't. Batman basically gets the Riverdale treatment. ...more
Khajiit J'jirra Roudhari
Bruce Wayne is partial Chinese - now we all know where he gets his bat soup from.
description

Just reading this gave me an apoplexy:

DC Comics' new graphic novel Gotham High reimagines a teenage Bruce Wayne — along with young versions of Catwoman, a.k.a. Selina Kyle, and the Joker, a.k.a. Jack Napier — in a world that feels more on par with Gossip Girl and Crazy Rich Asians than anything that's come before in the canon.

After Bruce, a rich Chinese-American loner, gets kicked out of his boarding school, he r
Kim
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, ya-mg
Token and stereotyped characters, pancake-flavored vaping, and a manipulative female villain who gets her kicks from playing guys against each other. Switch the vape pen with a cigarette and this could have been written in 1960. Why remake it if you're not going to dig a little deeper than problematic tropes? ...more
Ashley

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5

Thanks so much to DC Ink for letting me review an early copy through Netgalley

Thanks so much to DC Ink for providing me with an early copy for honest review.
This was an okay, enjoyable read for me. I won't say that anything about it really blew me out of the water, but it was fine. I enjoyed the art style and coloring, although I sometimes wished Bruce had more detail in his face. His main look seemed to be a very angular face and black hair with swish. I felt like the othe
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Jul 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: july-2020
So, I have no idea what I just read. My partner, who loves Batman, says this is terrible and they and I quote: "Butt fucked the characters." I told him some of the stuff that happened and he just shook his head and begged me to stop telling him. Now, I don't normally read this kind of stuff but I've been branching out, and, if you've been around here long enough you'll know that I love Blue Bloods by this author. A great series! You should read it! So I wanted to try this...

Oh Lord, here we go.

S
Anna

I love the art in this graphic novel, I love the diversity and I love the trashy(and I mean this in the best possible way) Gossip Girl-esque feel of this book. It was fun and easy to read and I truly felt like I was reading a book about a group of teenagers in high school.

Unfortunately what I didn't like was the way the female characters were depicted in this book. They're conniving, manipulative and honestly not portrayed in a positive light at all meanwhile the male characters are de
˗ˏˋ janet ˊˎ˗
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
poc dc ?? sign me tf up 💕💕💕
❀ wambui ❀
Illustrations: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This plot is a mess. (view spoiler)

Selina is a mess. My main issue being how can the writer think receiving help when you clearly need it is weakness? Selina being manipulative - sure fine, she's Catwoman its expected. (view spoiler)

I c
Caitlin Reads
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Gotham High was a major departure from what I usually read but I was really interested as a fan of Melissa de la Cruz. I was blown away by the illustrations. They were stunning and really creative. I had trouble connecting with the story but this will definitely appeal to big fans of the Batman/Gotham world. It also shows the view of why the “bad guys” do bad things and tried to build complex characters. Definitely an interesting read for comic lovers!
Hailee
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it
a little cheesey but i enjoyed it and the art style was really cool
Jennifer Brown
I made it to page 14 and realized that graphic novels are not my thing. I don't mind comics, I just couldn't do this 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ ...more
This is a take on the Batman mythology, a sort of "what if". For exmaple, what if Bruce Wayne's parents were from Hong Kong. What if Alfred was not his butler, but his gay Uncle. And What if Bruce Wayne went to Gotham High School, which was also populated by all the people who would become his arch-enemies in later life.

While I like the twist on having Bruce be of Hong Kong decent, the other characters haven't changed all that much, other than being all teenagers. They are all a bit of cliches,
Dini - dinipandareads
Confession time: I have never read a DC comic before but I've watched all the movies (okay, maybe not all the movies, but most)! Other than the information I got through said movies and in passing over the years, I don't really know all that much about these superheroes or their world but I still really enjoyed this comic. I personally thought the writing was just okay but what I enjoyed the most was the characters, artwork and recognising different characters all together in the same p
chloe ♡
i received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. all opinions below are my own.

i had so much fun reading this! gotham high is a graphic novel featuring dc characters as teenagers who go to high school together in gotham city. it’s so interesting seeing the small references to their future aliases scattered throughout the book.

the diversity is one of my favorite things about this novel. in the movies, most of the characters are white, so i wasn’t really expecting the situat

• The Lost Carnival
  • Swamp Thing: Twin Branches
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer
  • Zatanna & the House of Secrets
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale
  • In the Unlikely Event
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like