Start by marking “Busy Toddler's Guide to Actual Parenting: From Their First "no" to Their First Day of School (and Everything in Between)” as Want to Read:

You don't need to feel alone in parenting. You don't need to feel like you're failing. And you definitely don't need another parenting book filled with theoretical advice about theoretical children. You need actual parenting help from an actual parent. It's time to feel confident in your parenting.

Susie Allison, creator of the massive online community Busy Toddler, is a b
Published September 22nd 2020 by Innovation Press

To ask other readers questions about Busy Toddler's Guide to Actual Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Busy Toddler's Guide to Actual Parenting

Start your review of Busy Toddler's Guide to Actual Parenting: From Their First "no" to Their First Day of School (and Everything in Between)
Hannah • So Obsessed With
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
I've been following @BusyToddler on Instagram for a while now and was so excited to find out she had a parenting book coming out that compiled 50+ of her most popular activities into one book. The day I bought it, I sat down to read a few pages and didn't move until I was done. I loved every word! I bought it for the activities and didn't expect to feel so inspired by the advice. It felt like sitting down with a friend who is just a few steps ahead of me on this parenting journey and has such wi ...more
Natalie
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is THE BEST. Susie is so full of parenting wisdom, and most importantly, creative activities to help our children grow. I know I will be coming back to this one again and again.
Collette
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of parenting books. I also teach preschool and have read a lot of early childhood books. This seriously was the best of both worlds. Yes, there are other books that are more about teaching, but this one is aimed at parenting (naturally all parents ARE their kid's first teacher, so that is always a part of being a parent). I loved that she used more informal language and it read like a friend talking to you rather than educator to educator (the author was a K and 1st grade teach ...more
Alicia
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In general, this is a good book. There were some parts that bugged me, but for the most part it was an easy read with good words of advice.

There were two parts that bugged me that still stick out to me:
(1) At the beginning, this tone that everyone "has been there" with the pregnancy, birthing, and having a baby
(2) Towards the end there is a section where the author uses "how past generations did it" as a sort of reason why something should be done a certain way.

For #1, I understand that this was
Alissa Tsaparikos
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an amazing book that is part parenting guide, part activity book, and fully useful. As a youth services librarian I came to this for the activities that promoted early literacy, fine motor, and math skills, among many other things. Allison was an early educator before entering motherhood and it shows. Many of her tips and tricks are solid gold that totally make sense in a "why didn't I think of that?" sort of way. These were great as they were nearly all simple, cheap, and were provided ...more
Kitty
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Based on the reccomendations of my peer toddler/preschool moms, I recently started following Busy Toddler on Instagram. This book gets 5 stars because I knew what to expect-- straight forward ideas, resources, suggestions, philosophies on surviving parenting young kids. If you didn't know what to expect, you may be expecting less of a blogger voice and more of an doctorate in child rearing (if you're looking for that, accompany this book with "how to talk so your little children will listen" wou ...more
Eric Wallace
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: incomplete
This was a Christmas present from my 22-month old daughter ;)

The inspiration was all the great ideas for little activities and projects we can do with the kiddo -- as I understand it, that's what the author is known for from her blog. And most of the activities we've tried so far were a big hit, so that's great.

On the other hand... I find all the other interstitial stuff about parenting, etc. really, really annoying. So I just decided to skip all that blather and filler and focus on the activity
Emily
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot sing Susie’s praises enough! I don’t like parenting books—they point out things I’m doing wrong, with only a vague sentence or two on how to be better. It’s annoyingly ethereal. Studying parenting doesn’t automatically make you good at teaching what you know.

But, Susie is an excellent teacher, is very down-to-earth, and is just plain funny! Her ideas make sense, are easily applied, and have revolutionized my parenting in small manageable chunks. Now I have the physical how-to guide for
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I’m not sure how we would have gotten this far through the pandemic without the Busy Toddler Instagram account, so this book is a bonus. We have already used a bunch of her activities from Instagram and are now working on employing a lot of her parenting strategies (especially dealing with tantrums) with good success so far (although it’s not for the faint of heart—being even a halfway decent parent is exhausting). I can see myself coming back to this book a lot.
Kayla
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, parenting
Basically a highlight reel of all her best pep talks from her instagram. So if you've followed her for awhile, you've read a lot of her philosophy already, however its nice to have it collected in one place. ...more
Marie N
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, non-fiction
I love her Instagram. I started with the audiobook version and then finished with a hard copy once it was available from the library. Both are excellent. I especially enjoyed her chapters on tantrums, sibling relationships, and life skills.
Lela
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good. Susie is a breath of fresh air and such an excellent resource for all things early childhood. I cannot recommend this book enough to all parents of littles. Would also make a great baby shower present.
Evelina
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Nicely organised, some great thoughts and approaches. Also great list of activities!
Kourtney Hanks
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun parenting book. I love all the kid activity suggestions sprinkled throughout.
Lauren Lam
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
BEST parenting book ever! So many practical tips. I recommend to all parents with kids under the age of 5.
Trisha
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book with great advice and activities! Made me laugh a lot too! Definitely recommend!
Jessica Olson
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
EVERY parent of a baby and/or toddler needs this book in their life! It’s sanity-inducing—so many great ideas and reassurances and methods to the madness.
Jenna Beverly
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Susie is so down to earth and spot on with her advice. I agree with so much of her parenting wisdom and highly recommend her book! I will definitely be gifting it to new parents!
Emily
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is now my number one parenting book and I plan to recommend or purchase it for moms when their first turns 1. It was very easy and fun to ready.
Jaime
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Susie is brilliant, her perspective is so fresh and so real, and her advice is just a joy to read!
Meredith Devore
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Best parenting book ever. Simple, honest, funny confidence building, actual parenting advice.
Allie
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Love this book, love this approach to parenting. 10 stars if I could!
VERA YULIA RACHMAWATY
Best parenting book

Simple and handy. It got everything you need as a parent. Let’s enjoy our kids’s early childhood . I wish Susie published this book earlier! ❤️
Caroline Maclaga
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
An applicable guide to real life parenting that any parent of a toddler can read in digestible sections. Ideas laid out for activities, getting out for local adventures, and the key phrase “being 3 is fine” and 32 is fine too.
Jenny
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love her IG account and this book is more of the same. They say there’s ‘no handbook for parenting,’ but she gets pretty damn close with this. I’m gonna make it my baby shower gift from here on out.
Amy Lewis
Nov 27, 2020
Rene
Nov 19, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Lazy Genius Way: Embrace What Matters, Ditch What Doesn't, and Get Stuff Done
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Home Edit Life: The Complete Guide to Organizing Absolutely Everything at Work, at Home, and on the Go
  • HRH: So Many Thoughts on Royal Style
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
  • Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman
  • The Signature of All Things
  • Commonwealth
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • Welcome Home: A Cozy Minimalist Guide to Decorating and Hosting All Year Round
  • Live in Love: Growing Together Through Life's Changes
  • The Roommate
  • What Kind of Woman: Poems
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • The Comeback