Start by marking “The Swallowed Man” as Want to Read:
The Swallowed Man

The Swallowed Man

I am writing this account, in another man's book, by candlelight, inside the belly of a fish. I have been eaten. I have been eaten, yet I am living still. From the acclaimed author of Little comes this beautiful and haunting imagining of the years Geppetto spends within the belly of a sea beast.

Drawing upon the Pinocchio story while creating something entirely his
Published November 5th 2020 by Gallic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Swallowed Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swallowed Man

Emma
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love love love!
Rebecca
Carey’s historical novel Little was one of my highlights of 2018, so I jumped at the chance to read his new book. Interestingly, this riff on the Pinocchio story, narrated by Geppetto from the belly of a giant shark, originally appeared in Italian to accompany an exhibition hosted by the Fondazione Nazionale Carlo Collodi at the Parco di Pinocchio in Collodi. Geppetto came from a pottery-painting family but turned to wood when creating a little companion for his loneliness, the wooden boy who as ...more
Isla
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantastic retelling of Pinocchio, told from deep within the belly of the beast that swallowed his father.
Brilliantly written and dusted with a dash of Carey’s signature eeriness. A great short read that kept me entertained for hours.
Jenny
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Carey endlessly catalogues. At times, his writing devolves into nothing more than a recitation of objects. One wonders if that’s his actual process, throw a pile of objects onto the floor and create a story about them. Sometimes it works; here, it doesn’t. The narrator is obsessive, more consumed with possessing his wooden child than loving him. The whole thing is unsettling and disturbing, totally in line with Carey’s earlier works.
This book didn’t work for me, but it may work well for others.
مروة الجزائري
Am I to account myself as a fortunate or entirely devoid of luck

what on earth I just read!
Wonderful in its unique way. I kept reading and rereading some sentences, tasting it in my mouth, and pondering on its meaning.

Simple and yet thought-provoking. predictable and at the same time will keep you at the edge of your seat.
Probably one of my favorite fiction read this year.
It reminded me a lot of (Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal). Not with its story or characters but maybe, I h
Candace
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been awhile since I saw the Disney version of Pinocchio and after this review I will be doing some googling....

I loved Carey’s odd storytelling and illustrations. I feel it is unlike anything being put out there today. As I would love to read all of his books I’m glad I read this although I think Little, the only other book I read and absolutely fell in love with, I feel was much better.

I felt the story started strong Allen’s waned towards the end...what a unique premise though!
Megan Thomas
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Utterly bizarre, dark and twisted but also funny, charming and overwhelmingly creative to its core. A novella from the perspective of Gepetto in the belly of the shark from Pinocchio. Would you expect any less than eerily quirky?
Jillian Kohler
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself pondering the characters well after finishing it, when that happens you know it's one of the best books; good stories just stay with you.

It uphold's the whimsical essence Carey illustrated in Little. He deftly gave a story to a nostalgic charactor we feel like we know, but truly know so little about.

I did giggle when realizing how I was so thoroughly enjoying a story about quarantine, when in an actual quarantine, was a bit on the nose ;) but I feel it'll be that much more effec
Harry Jahnke
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you had told me a month ago that I'd be reading a book that is from the perspective of Geppetto inside the giant whale and that it was actually one of the more fascinating character studies I would read this summer, I probably wouldn't believe you. And yet, here I am. This was a fantastic, short little read and I enjoyed it infinitely more than I thought I would. Highly recommend.
Mary Kay
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love retold fairy tale, and this one really delivers both in its faithfulness to the folktale and in its novelty of perspective. Told from the perspective of Geppetto as he lives in the belly of a whale and pines for his puppet-come-to-life son, the novel features both super interesting points of view as well as visual interpretations by Carey himself of Geppetto's multiple creations.
Candace
Loved Carey’s Little last year and don’t think this book compares. Still he always has an unique and fresh perspective and I always love his illustrations. Started strong just waned a bit but it’s short and entertaining with Carey’s typical touch of odd.
Megan
Sep 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A retelling of Pinocchio.
Valentine Frenett
Sep 01, 2020
Nicola Carter
Oct 24, 2020
Maria Honeycombe
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2020

• The Hole
  • The Haunting of Alma Fielding: A True Ghost Story
  • Sisters
  • Summerwater
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Valentine
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • The Illness Lesson
  • Troy
  • White Fang
Edward Carey is a writer and illustrator who was born in North Walsham, Norfolk, England, during an April snowstorm. Like his father and his grandfather, both officers in the Royal Navy, he attended Pangbourne Nautical College, where the closest he came to following his family calling was playing Captain Andy in the school’s production of Showboat. Afterwards he joined the National Youth Theatre a ...more