Start by marking “Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)

Dealing in Murder (Molly Doyle #1)

Elizabeth Porter was a top-of-the-line Manhattan antiques dealer until her ex-husband and his lover's flagrantly criminal scam left her reputation in tatters. Now, using a new name, Molly Doyle, she's starting over a continent away in a rundown antiques shop in cozy Carmel, California. Molly is determined to make the best of it. But the early antiques bird sometimes gets m ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Dealing in Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dealing in Murder

Donna
Mar 22, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure I was going to like it. First off it was 388 pages which is long for a cozy mystery plus I thought the main character was going to be too rough for me. It turns out I loved Molly, the main character, and I could not put the book down. Great mystery, some surprises and of course it takes place in Carmel. Molly was a top notch antique dealer in Manhattan until her husband and his lover decided to cheat people. Luckily Molly was innocent but her ...more
Kendra
Aug 14, 2015 Kendra rated it it was ok
this book was so bad... so many cliches, so much hiding evidence from the reader (how are we supposed to feel like we're part of it all if all we know is the main character picked up some damning evidence and she can't wait to share it with the cop character. what is it???) the characters are beyond flawed - they're irredeemable. and the editing was so lax that I'm of half a mind to avoid this editor's work in the future. every few pages I found myself screaming in frustration for one reason or ...more
Rhonda
Jun 05, 2008 Rhonda rated it liked it
i'd give this a 3 1/2 if that were possible. i did enjoy the story and learned about the antique/art biz. the only real issue i had was the fact that molly was so quick to get furious. she was always throwing up her arms and even when she was holding back, she was seething inside. most of the time, i'd imagine a feeling of frustration or mild irritation would have sufficed, but she seemed to go from 0 to 60 in no time flat. she had mellowed by the end, and amusingly, she even commented that she ...more
Eunira
Feb 16, 2011 Eunira rated it liked it
Shelves: new-writer
This is the debut of a series. Molly is a spunky and fun heroine, down on her luck after her ex-husband's antiques fraud is exposed. Given the opportunity to start again at the bottom of the trade, she rolls up her sleeves and starts wheeling and dealing "merch" and exploring garage and estate sales for the inventory she'll need to rebuild her reputation. Stumbling into a murder, she meets an abrasive police chief, who will surely become constant in the next books.
Judy
Jun 05, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this novel. I just picked it up at random at the library. The characters were strong and realistic. The antique business was interesting but not overwhelming. Kind of a turn around at end because Molly's first impression of several people didn't pan out. Kept my interest. The love interest between the heroine and the chief of police was full of sparks and conflicts.
Gloria Mccracken
Mar 28, 2013 Gloria Mccracken rated it it was amazing
I've accidentally been reading this series backwards. This, the third I've read is actually the first in the series. Even though I knew that some of the suspicious characters were, in fact, part of the protagonists eventual circle of good friends, it was still very enjoyable and entertaining, as all of them have been. They are not easy to find and I suspect there aren't very many of them, but I've found all of them interesting and enjoyable.
Nancy
Aug 07, 2010 Nancy added it
#1 Molly Doyle book. Carmel, antique dealer, goes to house to find key to desk she bought and woman dies in her arms. Police Chief Randall, DA Lucero, restauranteur Daria. Works for Max. Molly was accused in NY of selling fakes but was not guilty. Her husband and his lover were gulty.
Teresa
Jul 03, 2008 Teresa rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-bookclub
We read for the Mystery Book club. I'd actually give it more of a 3-1/2, but the stars don't allow for it. I thought it was a good read, just a little too long for my taste.
Jodi Reeves
Mar 24, 2014 Jodi Reeves rated it really liked it
Good book. Picked it up at a thrift store, and had to get the rest of the titles for the series. I enjoyed it, it kept me guessing, and looks like we might get a romance in the next book.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Apr 16, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides rated it liked it
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...
Shelves: mystery-genre
This was an interesting read. I liked the behind-the-scenes look at the antiques trade the most. The characters were fairly well-drawn.
Maddy
Shelves: mystery
Awesome series
Imogene (Gene)
Jul 07, 2008 Imogene (Gene) rated it liked it
Learned somethings about antique dealers
Kristen
Apr 16, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy
This is another good Molly Dolly cozy mystery dealing with antiques. The second out of 4 I believe. Good drama and suspense.
Alaina Sloo
Fun, light murder mystery, part of a series set in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA, and following the sleuthing of a local antique dealer. Good window on local culture and the community.
Joyce McKune
A nice quick read. Didn't always know who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. A good first book. Will try to find the next.
The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
Nov 08, 2011 The Reading Cove Book Club ❦ rated it really liked it
Shelves: bonus-books
Bonus Book - April 2004
Sue Em
Sue Em rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
michael dunn
michael dunn rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Marian0831
Marian0831 rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Gale
Gale rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2008
Lorrie Meneely
Lorrie Meneely rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Allison Collins
Allison Collins rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Spuddie
Spuddie rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2007
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2007
Gabriella
Gabriella rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #2)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (Soapmaking Mystery #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • Roots of Murder (Bretta Solomon, #1)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Going Out In Style (Dallas O'Connor Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Cutter
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
Elaine Flinn, a former Bay Area antiques dealer, created Molly Doyle, a Carmel, CA, antiques dealer in Dealing in Murder, her 2003 debut novel that was nominated for an Agatha, Gumshoe, Barry and Anthony (2003). Tagged for Murder (2004) won the Barry Award. Two more Molly Doyle novels--Deadly Collection and Deadly Vintage followed.

Flin was one of the founding members of Murderati. And, it was duri
More about Elaine Flinn...

Molly Doyle (4 books)
  • Tagged for Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Collection (A Molly Doyle Mystery #3)
  • Deadly Vintage (A Molly Doyle Mystery #4)