Start by marking “Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Aunt Dimity Beats the ...

Nancy Atherton

Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #6)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,989 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
When Lori Shepherd journeys to northern England's Wyrdhurst Hall to evaluate a rare book collection, she falls under the spell of the old building. As she digs through the volumes, Lori unearths a story of forbidden passion during World War I that may explain the not-so-friendly spirit who seemingly haunts Wyrdhurst. But Lori also has a ghost on her side--Aunt Dimity--who ...more
Published 2001 by Recorded Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil

Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: Judie W.
Shelves: fiction-mystery
This is one of my favorite books so far in the Aunt Dimity series. I'm glad that Lori's "passionate nature" and "roving eye", as Dimity calls it (pg. 148) are finally discussed. I was wondering why in many of the previous books Lori finds herself attracted to various men (cousin Gerald in Aunt Dimity's Good Deed, both Julian Bright, the Roman Catholic priest, and Kit Smith, the homeless man, in Aunt Dimity's Christmas, and Adam Chase in this book). I was wondering why this happily married woman ...more
Kim
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of this series and like it a lot. Probably because she's living my dream life. An American girl receives a large inheritance from a friend of her mother's in England and goes to live there in a charming Cotswold cottage. I do like the Aunt Dimity speaking from the grave plot device. I AM getting a little tired of Lori's roving eye motif. Does EVERY single book HAVE to have some attractive man that she becomes attached to and who falls for her? Having said that, this is probably m ...more
Beth
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This felt more like a ghost story than a mystery for most of its length, though not a scary one at all. Cuddly and undemanding, it was a great book to read during a summer vacation.
Tobinsfavorite
Solid.

There are some annoyances, but the author knows they are annoyances needed to support her plot and treats them accordingly, so as the book went on, they became less annoying.
Elizabeth
Why you ask, did I only give three stars when I usually give Aunt Dimity books five stars?

Sigh.

Well, in order to tell you that.... I have to discuss some SPOILERS.

SPOILER ALERT!

This is the sixth book in the Aunt Dimity series.

What bothered me about this book:

I feel like Lori's roving eye is going to show up in each book. I didn't notice it that much in the first few I read but after reading this and the last book (Aunt Dimity's Christmas), I am afraid, but hope it is not a pattern.

First of all,
C.
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I inhaled this whole book in one day! Any sentence by Nancy Atherton is uplifting. I savour her for when I need an emotional boost. Her mysteries are exciting and always exceptionally original. There has been a small paranormal presence, conversing with Dimity through a journal. It was all right because I adore Lori’s family and always-varying friends. It is high praise that this is my favourite so far! THIS is more like the paranormal I yearn for in adult books! We don’t see a ghost but at last ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This is the perfect fluffy book for a chilly autumn evening! Curling up with a cup of tea and a hilarious ghost mystery just before Halloween- it doesn't get any better than that! I like ghost stories when the spirits are friendly, like Aunt Dimity and her ghostly cohorts.

This book doesn't have Bill or the twins in it, because Lori is traveling to a haunted mansion to categorize their ancient library. As if I needed another reason to love her character- she's a bookish person with a bookish job!
Erin L
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rating this higher than I thought I would. It's interesting that I hate the character without flaws, but when I'm faced with a flawed character, I take issue with it.

So, here's the thing - Lori is flawed. Yes, she falls in love with a different man every book and she lets that cloud her judgement. I don't like that about her, but I suppose as long as she doesn't actually act on it, it's not the end of the world. I just really wish she'd accept it about herself and be more aware of it as she'
Pamela Mclaren
Aunt Dimity is the wise old aunt we all need, she just isn't around in human form. And in Lori Shepherd's latest adventure, Aunt Dimity isn't the only ghost she has to deal with.

Nancy Atherton has a way of making a ghost seem sensible in her books and she keeps her main character, Lori Shepherd on that fine line where she is not too silly nor too darn smart. So her stories of Lori's misadventures at Wyrdhurst Hall where she is supposed to be evaluating a rare book collection, are ones that you
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Dimity books continue to delight. Lori is asked to go to Northumberland to catalog a private library owned by her friend Dickie. She is also asked to keep her eyes and ears open because Dickie is the guardian of a woman living at the castle and all is not right. In this book, we meet a writer of stories about World War I, and a Captain Guy Manning stationed in the services there.
The castle is haunted and Lori sets out to help with this issue with Aunt Dimity's help.
A good cozy and well wo
Ellen
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy Atherton.

This story seemed to have everything that makes a mystery fun to read. Lori shepherd travels to an old English Hall that appears to be haunted. She's been called on to appraise a unique book collection. The books reveal a bit more than just their age. She soon begins to learn of a romance that may have the reasoning behind the haunting. Aunt Dimity attempts to guide Lori away from those that may become harmful to her by writing her messages.

I am act
Dianna
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay story, but once again it did not have much of Aunt Dimity. I don' really like the books where Lori takes off on a trip all alone. Also, this is the second story where she finds herself attracted to another man. This seems repetitious of the other story I really wasn't crazy about.

Was intent to read all of the Dimity stories, but If they go the was this one went I don't feel as though I want to continue reading them.

Margie
One of the reasons that I like the Aunt Dimity series so much is that the author always (thus far) includes snippets of history - just enough to interest one in doing further reading on the subject. In this book, World War I and some of its horrors provides the background for several of the characters.

Ghosts, gothic castles, lonely moors, star-crossed young lovers, and another delicious recipe (Claire's Lace Cookies) at the end! Great summer, winter or anytime reading!
Tracy
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Escapist and fun, yes. But I'm getting a little tired of the semi-romance-novel-esque trope of thrusting attractive young men at the protagonist. (spoiler alert) When you have to resort to having a ghost possess your married heroine in order to have her kiss someone who's not her husband...it feels a little forced. Oh well.
Kathy
Another great read in the Aunt Dimity series! Haunted castle and past tragedies play a delicious part in this latest book with Lori Shepherd taking a trip to the north of England to evaluate a book collection and encountering much more than she bargained for.
Judith
The Aunt Dimity mysteries and Lori Shepherd are a refreshing twist on cosy mysteries.
Melissa
I think this is my favorite "Aunt Dimity" so far. Completely enjoyed it. Love these little mysteries.
Clayton Yuen
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow moving beginning made it drudgery to get through, but THEN, Bam, things started moving along at a very good pace. I thought that the subject of books (which I love) and collections of them would spice up this novel, but that wasn't the main theme (just the circumstance). It turns out that there are ghosts and spirits, and the connection to Aunt Dimity was the conduit!

Five stars to the fast paced ending, happy and satisfying .....
Eric
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
as always a delightful read I was hoping for more of Dimity but that was not to be in this tale,
Loris' adventure into the Scottish wilds was fun but the ghost story was , I think a little overused
except for the twists of a Scottish take on Guy Fawkes it was an average Dimity Tale not one of the best but a good story for a afternoon read
Michele
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next
This one was a little dark at first....but the ending waa great!
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick and enjoyable read!
Tamara
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book like the other in this series by Nancy Atherton. It's not a book that generates great emotions or thought provoking. There is a mystery which will be solved by the female lead.
Susan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a departure from previous books - Lori goes off on her own. leaving Bill with the boys, to catalog the library of a mansion in Northumberland. After being in Wyrdhurst Hall for a few days, she begins acting quite unlike herself and gets involved in a mystery of a long-ago love affair. Aunt Dimity eventually comes to the rescue, but it's a near thing! This is the second of the books where Lori's "roving eye" is spotlighted, and I believe the next one is more of the same. I got rather tir ...more
Lori Gronewold
The problem that I had with this book is that one of the character's mother was suppose born in 1918. The author leads you to believe that his age is around 30, but the book talks about the Scottish Parliament's starting and that happened in 1997. It didn't make sense. If the character's grandmother had been born in 1918 then it would have made more sense.
Nancy
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When this book came up in a reading group, I was sure that I had read it, I love this series so when I went looking for my review, I could not find it anywhere. I was beginning to wonder if I had unwittingly skipped it.

As soon as I finished the first chapter I knew the story, well, I thought I did. The beginning was familiar, the middle was a mystery, but the ending relit the dim bulb that I am now calling my mind and I am glad that I had reread it to remind myself how far Lori has come.

Lori wi
The Flooze
*3.5*

A favor to Stan and another old friend has Lori heading off to an isolated mansion on Scotland's borders. She's summoned to catalogue a library but finds several mysteries on her hands.

The primary one unfolds in a familiar way: through the heartfelt letters of a person long dead and forgotten. Written by a WWI soldier, the missives are filled with love, longing, and despair. Found Letters is a plot device Atherton continually uses to great effect, granting the dead vibrant and beguiling voi
Kristen
This was my favourite Aunt Dimity book so far! It was a bit of a departure from Lori's usual adventures, but it was filled with bittersweet romance, family intrigues and unquenchable love. A wonderful story!!

When Lori's asked to spend a week at a remote English mansion cataloguing a collection of books, she thinks it will be a lark and a brief respite from chasing her toilet-training, toddlers around her own English cottage. Instead from the beginning and before she even arrives at the Wyrdhurst
Leya
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
The main reason I come back to read the Aunt Dimity series, is the simplicity. Not that the story is simple, but the way it's written and the way the author just grabs you, and keeps you entertained without suspense (the thriller kind) and gore. The author is an entertaining story teller.

As usual I found it very easy to get into the story and lose track of time. This time around we don't see Bill, Lori's husband. She's taking a working vacation away from the twins and Bill, to catalogue a collec
Althea Ann
I admit, it was the 'Devil' in the title that got me reading this one! This is one of a long series of 'cozy' supernatural mystery novels. Unlike some I've read in this genre, the supernatural plot elements are 'real.' 'Aunt Dimity' is a ghost who communicates with the rather ordinary Lori Shepherd through messages in an old diary, giving her warnings when needed - and helping her solve mysteries, of course. In this episode, Lori reluctantly leaves her toddlers alone with their father and takes ...more
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Avenging Angels (Beaufort & Company, #3)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #6)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #6)
  • A Spirited Gift (A Missing Pieces Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • The Clairvoyant Countess
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
Nancy Atherton is not a white-haired Englishwoman with a softly wrinkled face, a wry smile, and wise gray eyes, nor does she live in a thatched cottage behind a babbling brook in a tranquil, rural corner of the Cotswolds.

She has never taken tea with a vicar (although she drank an Orange Squash with one once) and she doesn't plan to continue writing after her allotted time on earth (though such pla
More about Nancy Atherton...

An Aunt Dimity Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Aunt Dimity's Death (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #1)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity Digs In (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity: Detective (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)
  • Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity: Snowbound (Aunt Dimity #9)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)