Start by marking “Teachings for an Unbelieving World: Newly Discovered Reflections on Paul's Sermon at the Areopagus” as Want to Read:

Teachings for an Unbelieving World is a newly discovered work written by St. John Paul II—then Archbishop Karol Wojtyła of Kraków—in the years just after Vatican II. He uses St. Paul’s sermon to the people of Athens in Acts 17 as a framework for articulating the faith in a culture of skepticism and unbelief. These thirteen brief reflections provide compelling teaching for

Published March 20th 2020 by Ave Maria Press

To ask other readers questions about Teachings for an Unbelieving World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings for an Unbelieving World

Start your review of Teachings for an Unbelieving World: Newly Discovered Reflections on Paul's Sermon at the Areopagus
Cristie Underwood
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
These 13 reflections on Catholicism were interesting to read. I must disclose that I am not a religious person, but found these to interesting to read and can understand how they can help those that are not trusting of their Catholic Faith find comfort and their way back to their Church.
Dana
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
It's hard to rate a book like this without commenting on the religious practices themselves. This one has a unique approach in that it takes a teaching meant for one unbelieving population (ancient Athens) and relates it to the same state in modern (1970s) time.  I know religious reads aren't for everyone but I really enjoy them if they are thought-provoking. This one has been a journey but I have uncovered some pearls within it.

I received an ARC of this via @netgalley in exchange for an honest
Carolyn
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1965, these newly discovered talks re-invigorated my love for this saint and his teachings. Decades before he'd become the Holy Father, themes central to his papacy are evident in these reflections on St. Paul's visit to the Aeropagus (see Acts of the Apostles).

This was a short and easy read for me, and while I didn't find any striking insights or revelations here, it was still profitable to me. I'm grateful it has been published.
Rebecca L.
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-popsugar
An absolutely marvelous little gem of a book. Each page is packed with thought provoking analysis of Paul’s sermon at the Aeropagus. I read it twice through.. Five stars and highly recommended!
Mary
Oct 06, 2021 added it
It's always inspiring to read JP II. Sometimes his wording is complex, but I found this book to be clear and meaningful. Much of it rings true to me as a former teacher: meet people where they are; find the good in what they do; differentiate instruction, meaning, give people the concepts they are ready and able to accept, without overwhelming them. JP II is solid, ever faithful to the beauty and truth of the Gospel. ...more
Lizbeth
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

The rediscovered writings of Saint John Paul II are an inspiration to read. Doctrinal and Gospel teaching from a true man of God. A must read.

5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended.
Jeanette
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It is so amazing to read something written by this holy man so many years before he became Pope. It would be great to know who these teachings were written for, but this way they simply become timeless teachings for us all.
David Young
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From the Great John Paul I I

The work it took to put this book together and those who did it did a great job. You could feel John Paul 's thoughts.It was a quick read and very good book.
JR Eftink
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was elated at the thought of the reflections of St. Paul's sermons at the Areopagus!!! ...more
Heather  Erickson
"Teachings for an Unbelieving World: Newly Discovered Reflections on Paul’s Sermon at the Areopagus," by John Paul II, then Archbishop Karol Wojtyla, was a treat to read.

Karol Wojtyla was Archbishop of Krakow in the years after Vatican II when he penned 13 reflections on St. Paul’s sermon to the people of Athens in Acts 17. He used this section of scripture to articulate the Christian faith in a culture of skepticism and unbelief. I hadn’t ever read anything before by the man who would become on
Katie
John Paul II was ‘my pope’ for a long time. I was able to see him in person when I attended my 1st World Youth Day in Toronto in 2002. I love everything he writes and says, but, to be honest, I understand little of it. He’s just so smart.

His ‘smarts’ wasn’t ever what attracted me to him though, it was his holiness. His love for young people. His love for Jesus. One of my favorite quotes of his is: “It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness.” (The short version of 3 paragraphs of hear
Anne Marie
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a Catholic but I have always loved John Paul ll. He is such a great priest and I love everything he writes or authors write about him. I highly recommend this book if you love John Paul ll. I will be adding a copy to my home library.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Ave Maria Press for my honest opinion.
Paul Smith

• Saint Paul
  • 28 Summers
  • The Woman in the Mirror
  • Therese
  • The Shattered Portrait (Belle Epoque Mystery #2)
  • The Hidden Life: Hagiographic Essays, Meditations, and Spiritual Texts
  • Exiles (Aaron Falk, #3)
  • Hannah and Ariela
  • A Ballad of Love and Glory
  • The Many Daughters of Afong Moy
  • Shadowman: An Elusive Psycho Killer and the Birth of FBI Profiling
  • Big Girl
  • The Missionary of Wall Street: From Managing Money to Saving Souls on the Streets of New York
  • The Daughter of Doctor Moreau
Saint Pope John Paul II (Latin: Ioannes Paulus II), born Karol Józef Wojtyła was elected Pope at the Conclave of 16 October 1978, and he took the name of John Paul II. On 22 October, the Lord's Day, he solemnly inaugurated his Petrine ministry as the 263rd successor to the Apostle. His pontificate, one of the longest in the history of the Church, lasted nearly 27 years.

Driven by his pastoral solic

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...