Start by marking “The Haunting of Brynn Wilder” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Brynn Wilder

The Haunting of Brynn Wilder

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  21,509 ratings  ·  1,954 reviews
After a devastating loss, Brynn Wilder escapes to Wharton, a tourist town on Lake Superior, to reset. Checking into a quaint boardinghouse for the summer, she hopes to put her life into perspective. In her fellow lodgers, she finds a friendly company of strangers: the frail Alice, cared for by a married couple with a heartbreaking story of their own; LuAnn, the eccentric a ...more
Published November 1st 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Brynn Wilder, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Just Another Perfectionist
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Whitney
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,509 ratings  ·  1,954 reviews

Start your review of The Haunting of Brynn Wilder
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay, this one truly surprised me a lot! After seeing the name of the book and eerie, heart pounding cover I thought some thrilling and chilling ghost story will give me nightmares and haunt me down! But it started like soft chic lit and gave me Debbie Macomber meets Nicholas Sparks novels taste.

This is a paranormal, bittersweet story with a twist that I cannot blurt out and that emotional ending made my poor heart felt like stabbed by small glass pieces but overall the deeply layered, well cr
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Kindle First - October

Some of us are haunted more literally. We’ve seen and felt and heard what simply cannot be, but is. A low moan coming from the corner of a darkened room. A glimpse of an ethereal shape. A tangible encounter with... something. A passer-through.

As I sit alone with my thoughts in this empty house, in the dark, a fi
Gabby
Am I being too generous by giving this 2 stars...? It's possible.

Here's Olivia and I roasting this book for an hour in our live show: https://youtu.be/BAG8vF-KDe4
Preslava
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
When you start a book with "The Haunting" in the title and such a creepy cover, you expect a scary or at least suspenseful story and definitely something to do with ghosts. Not here. This was a cheesy romance with strong Nickolas Sparks vibes that yes, had a ghost or two but they were harmless, didn't speak or interact much and, honestly, were completely useless in the plot. You could have skipped them completely and nothing would change. Such a waste of time! ...more
Shari Ring Wolf
Oct 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Ceecee
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brynn travels to Wharton, Lake Superior for the summer following a series of losses. She hopes to recharge, re-evaluate and get her life back on track to resume her post as Professor of Literature. She rents a room at colourful LuAnn’s boarding house and quickly immerses herself in the lives and mysteries of the occupants of the house.

This book is not quite what I expected as it’s more a smorgasbord of themes. It begins with a really mysterious, creepy, gothic vibe with a sequence of odd events
Cherie
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved every word, and every page. This ghostly tale is not scary at all, but will tug at your heartstrings and may cause a tear or two. It has a great Gothic suspenseful feel, a must read for Gothic lovers.
Olivia
Jan 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
Wellp.
Michelle
Dec 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am going to be as diplomatic as I possibly can. The only reason I finished this book was because my book club is participating in a chat with the author and I felt it would be disrespectful to show up as a DNF, but here we are....

This book just wasn't for me. I did not care for much of anything and I don't want to list out the litany of things because its all in the star rating.

If you come across this review and this is a book you want to read, then I would encourage you to do so. Many, many
Renee (The B-Roll)
What a gorgeous piece of gothic fiction in the classic Wendy Webb style. Ghosts, haunted houses, mysterious pasts...what more could you want!?! Honestly, I was curious to see how it was going to wrap up so quickly when I just had a few chapters left but I will say that the ending was excellent and the twist at the end got me. I loved reading this, just as every other book she has written, and enjoyed being back in Wharton.
Franny Burd
Oct 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Oh, puleeze. Just finished this one a few minutes ago, and am so disgusted that if it was a physical book and not on my Kindle I'd hurl it across the room. No characters I cared about or could connect to. Absolutely the most ridiculous ending I've ever read. I honestly don't know what book the other reviewers read, but it can't have been this hot mess. ...more
Theresa Alan
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel is a partially a paranormal romance, partially a mystery, partially a woman trying to regroup after taking time off from being a professor of English lit to tend to her dying mother. Brynn goes to a small town on Lake Superior where an old friend lives. She stays at a boarding house with two married men and a woman with Alzheimer’s they look after, a handsome tattooed man, and a room that’s locked up after a woman died there.

It’s accepted by the bartender and proprietor of the house
Justin Chen
Jan 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited

2 stars, but taking off an additional 0.5 for the intentionally misleading cover art, title, and marketing material.

The Haunting of Brynn Wilder claims to be a small town mystery thriller, but in reality it's a sappy Lifetime romance drama with just a smidget of the paranormal.

This is not a book I should've picked up: a woman in her 40s, who has suffered a series of traumatic losses (death of her mother, death of her dog, dissolve of her 20+ years marriage, a stagnant career she grows
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

I was excited to have the opportunity to read another book by Webb, especially as I enjoyed as last one so much. However, I don’t think this was as gripping because there were too many genres embedded within the narrative.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Many Thanks to Net Galley, Lake Union publishing and the author for a chance to read and review this book. All opinions are expressed voluntarily.

Wendy Webb is one of my favorite authors, most of the books that I have read have a gothic element with ghostly presence centered around the very beautiful and peaceful Lake Superior. Now tell me, what would a reader expect with a haunting in the title and that cover image?

So that is my BIGGEST problem with this book. I went in expecting something and
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
essentially, it's just a lifetime movie with a paranormal element.

which isn't exactly a bad thing. i can see the intention clearly, but the execution of the plot leaves a lot to be desired. the writing style is stiff and uninspired and the supernatural elements don't really seem genuine, but rather just an afterthought instead, despite their obvious importance. so much of the book seems to move at a glacial pace until you're suddenly at the end and so much of the plot is 'explained' within a few
Jonas
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the author’s second book set on Lake Superior in the supernatural town of Wharton. I read book two first as an Amazon First Reads free selection. I wanted something supernatural to read in the month of October leading up to Halloween.

I was not disappointed. I fell in love with the town of Wharton and the cast of characters that reside there. Especially the innkeeper and the bartender at the inn that Brynn is staying at. I felt like I was a resident and was hanging out at all the local h
M
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Leisurely paced, character-driven chick-lit & women’s fiction mashup, but with many other genres.

In October I seek books suitable for Halloween, so this gothic fiction with a haunting seemed perfect. But I found myself reading chapters filled with character introductions—whilst trying to find a plot. I also hunted for horror, haunts, frights, etc. but only found wimpy nightmares.

After 50 pages, I almost gave up on the chick-lit, women’s fiction, and romance. However, I made a NY resol
Heather (tales.of.a.bookbound.mom)
This review is so tricky for me. Is it possible to like a story and be pretty confused by it at the same time? Because that’s how I feel. I liked the writing style, I liked the characters, and I got the creepy and mysterious vibes I was hoping for. Parts of it gave me chills. Generally, I liked this book. All was going well for most of the story and then I got to what I believe was supposed to be a twist and I was just confused. In the end I didn’t know what to think. Do I just not understand? I ...more
Kimberly
The Haunting Of Brynn Wilder was a little spooky and a little romantic and I really liked it. The ending felt a bit abrupt, but overall it was an enjoyable read.
JaymeO
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brynn Wilder makes her way to the tourist town of Wharton on Lake Superior in need of a summer of rest, after caring for her mother during her long battle with cancer and recent passing. She stays in a boarding house, where she meets some friendly strangers as well as a new love interest. She soon learns that a woman recently died in room five, so the room has been closed up for the summer. When Brynn begins to have vivid nightmares and finds herself standing in room five, looking at an old woma ...more
Carol
Jul 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brynn Wilder is going on a summer vacation which may turn out to be the vacation from Hell. Soon after settling in... she meets two other “guests"” and soon after the strange noises begin. The characters are interesting and a really great addition to the haunting. Some of them are a little strange to put it mildly but all have a perfect place in the story. My personal favorite is a guy called Dominic James. It is just what the ‘ghost story junkie” wants.... intriguing...haunting... and suspensef ...more
Erth
Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Certainly starts off innocently enough.. Brynn Wilder is going on a summer vacation so she can get some much needed rest. Checking into a quaint boarding house she is escorted to her room...the Yellow Room, by the owner Lu Ann. Settling in she meets two other 'summer guests' and shortly thereafter, the strange noises begin...Shall we say 'knock knock'...this is the beginning of a true and scary summer vacation....

Characters are so interesting and are a welcome mix to the haunting that is occurri
Miss Mae
Sep 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
DNF @ 35%

Yikes... I’m disappointed in how big of a let-down this was.

One thing I really did enjoy, though, was the narration. This was my first audio book since my early years in primary school, and I can say it won’t be my last. The voice was soothing, full of emotion when it needed to be, and it makes me want to hire Xe Sands as a perma-bedtime reader.

Sadly, Webb’s writing was just too tropey for me. It felt like every romantic fan-fiction tied into one plotline— oh, and let’s add a spooky pa
laura  morgan
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
2 / 5 stars

To this book: it’s not you, it’s me. I was expecting a small town ghost story with gothic vibes, but The Haunting of Brynn Wilder is less about the ghosts and more of a literary fiction with a romance type story. (so i guess the marketing is a little misleading for this). I’d say if you’re interested in reading this book, just manage your expectations before going in.

2 stars instead of 1 for Jason and Gil, and the charming setting that is the lakeside town of Wharton.

I was into this
Teenie
Sep 13, 2021 rated it liked it
I wasn’t sure what to rate this when I finished reading it. I experienced so many different emotions throughout the storyline. I finally landed on a three star rating because the ending of the book seemed corny. Capital C for CHEESY!!! It definitely had a different ending then what I was anticipating. I loved the spooky haunted atmosphere but I was constantly annoyed with the repetitiveness of everyone’s watery eyes and tears coming to the surface of their eyes. 🙄🙄🙄 blah…blah…blah…

It started off
Basic B's Guide
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts + Love + Small Town = A enjoyable and comforting fall read.

“After a devastating loss, Brynn Wilder escapes to Wharton, a tourist town on Lake Superior to reset. Checking into a quaint boardinghouse for the summer, she hopes to put her life into perspective.”

Wendy Webb whisks you away to a small cozy town where you immediately feel at home. I just wanted to live right in this book where I meet up for happy hour with my good friends; LuAnn, Gil and Jason and have time to grieve the loss of
Dana-Adriana B.
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brynn is trying to coop with her mom's death after long-suffering. She is going to a small town where she is booking a room in a hunting historic boarding house. Here she meets beautiful people and the love of her life, Dominic, her angel. I love how the story is narrated.
It was a romantic story with a few ghosts.
Thank you Netgalley for this nice story.
Alexa
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This was a great read. Not exactly what i had in mind when I started reading but turned out to be even better than expected. It’s told from one point of view and is a quick read. It’s not a typical haunting type of book. Great story line and definitely hits your emotions in some places.

Brynn is having dreams. Dreams that feel real. She ran to Wharton to try and rest and revive herself after the passing of her mother She becomes part of a family that she never expects and meets her soul mate.
Darcia Helle
This book was listed as "Gothic Fiction" in Amazon's First Reads choices for October. That label is a stretch, at best. What we have is mostly a love story, along with an intense exploration of loss and grief.

I couldn't buy into the instant connection with all the characters, who go from being absolute strangers on vacation to being best friends who confide all their secrets within a matter of days. These people are a Lifetime movie cast, all way too nice, with their sunshine-bright personalitie
Cannonball Readers: Which book did you think had the best ending? 1 10 Dec 23, 2020 08:08AM

• Goodbye Days
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • The Last to See Her
  • “All the Real Indians Died Off”: And 20 Other Myths About Native Americans
  • Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • The Secret French Recipes of Sophie Valroux
  • Send for Me
  • The Second Home
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries #4)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • Anatomy of Murder (Crowther and Westerman, #2)
  • Instruments of Darkness (Crowther and Westerman, #1)
  • Hurricane Season
  • Moon of the Crusted Snow
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #16)
  • Heart Berries
  • Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories
See top shelves…
WENDY WEBB's novels are mysteries about long-buried family secrets, set in big, old haunted houses on the Great Lakes.

THE END OF TEMPERANCE DARE (2017, Lake Union) is set in a former tuberculosis sanatorium on Lake Superior, now a renowned retreat for artists and writers. When Eleanor Harper takes the helm as its new director and her first batch of visiting artists arrives, she begins to suspect t

News & Interviews

For those with a taste for nonfiction—or even just a curiosity about what’s out there—we’ve gathered below the most popular nonfiction titles...
“Everyone is haunted by something. A road not taken. A hurt, carried deep inside. Harsh words that echo long after the sting of them is carried away on the wind.” 6 likes
“People get so caught up in themselves and their dramas, or they get ensnared in their own sorrows and tragedies, they forget to appreciate the beauty around them.” 3 likes