Start by marking “Why Am I Still Depressed?: Recognizing And Managing The Ups And Downs Of Bipolar Ii And Soft Bipolar Disorder” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  242 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Author James R. Phelps, M.D., gives you the latest tools and knowledge so you can know all your treatment options, including mood-stabilizing medications and research-tested psychotherapies, manage your condition with exercise and lifestyle changes, and help family and friends with this condition understand their diagnosis and find treatment.
Audio CD
Published December 1st 2009 by American Media International (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why Am I Still Depressed?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Am I Still Depressed?

Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This changed my life. I'm not exaggerating at all. Dr Phelps' website is the first thing that led me to consider bipolar disorder after having the diagnoses of depression, anxiety, and insomnia for seven years. Now on mood stabilizers, I've had good days for the first time in seven years. This summer I finally had a week at a time where I felt like a normal person, happy and confident and relaxed, feeling like I belong, able to participate in conversations, and so forth.

Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic look into the issues, reality and treatment of Bipolar II. My doctor recommended I read it as part of my treatment. This book gives a straight up presentation of this mental illness and how to understand and manage having it. The nuts and bolts approach helps demystify it as well as provides a framework to manage and cope.
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone just diagnosed with Bipolar II & their loved ones
Shelves: mental-health
FANTASTIC book. Well-written; it came across as a knowledgable, trusted doctor talking to a patient. He also uses his website ( as an extension of the book, with additional notes and updates. Invaluable.

p.s. guess what I got diagnosed with? :)
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, ya gotta love an MD who uses his nickname ("Jim") on the title page. The author is down home, encourages skepticism, and really appears to know his stuff on bipolar issues. His website is very helpful. If anyone has any bipolar issues in the family, I'd strongly urge getting a copy of this book and reading it.
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly cannot believe I read a book with this title- it just seems so...melodramatic? I don't know...kind of a weird title given the subject matter, in my opinion.

But I heard a few people talk about how it was a must-read in regards to bipolar, and since a lot of my other options have been feeling kind of played out, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

And it certainly didn't. But on the other hand, after 15 years of dealing with this, there was very, VERY little in here that came as any surprise/rel
Peter Anderson
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Soft Bipolar before, so when I read this I was surprised to feel like I was reading about my life. We live in an amazing time with information and experts at our fingertips and Jim Phelps does a great job encouraging and teaching the interested learner. I recommend this book.
Bob Buehler
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looked through it for highlights, found some interesting tidbits. Geared toward helping the individual take charge of his/her own diagnosis, treatment and progress --always a good thing.
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Recognizing, yes. Managing, never.
I skimmed through this book to read the topics that I was interested in, so I didn't read the whole thing cover to cover.

Antidepressants that aren't antidepressants
1. Exercise
2. Light and sleep shifts
3. Fish oil (evidence that these can affect mood is slowly racking up, but the best does is not yet established)
4. Psychotherapy

Watching sleep, light and darkness closely
The connection between sleep and mood stability is as yet unknown, but it has to do with your biological clock.
The retina registe
Judy Ball
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Folksy and readable, yet full of useful information from research and practice (his own). My doctor recommended Dr. Phelps' website; I read the book and have since been using the website as well. His practice of using the website to extend and update the material in the book is commendable. Phelps' discussion of the bipolar spectrum, limitations of DSM diagnostic criteria, and how they differ from real-world patients' experiences was especially useful. References to literature on affective insta ...more
Natasha Tracy
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
An amazing book, particularly for people with bipolar II or those who are diagnosed with major depression but suspect bipolar disorder.

This book sheds light on bipolar disorder in a way that other books don't and it's written in a way that anyone can understand. Dr. Phelps is an amazing resource and a trusted expert.

This is a must-read for people with bipolar II or those who think they may have bipolar.

Bookish Brina
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My doctor recommended this when I was diagnosed. A very good explanation of the differences between type 1 and 2. There is much emphasis on the importance of exercise, which is definitely something I need to go back and read from time to time because I am a slacker. A very good resource.
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my husband was diagnosed bipolar II over a year ago, I read every book in it that I found. I wish I had read this sooner, during that time. The information and explanations are incredibly helpful. My insight could have been better if I read this then.
Kim Griffin
Good book. Very helpful. Best for anyone with mood disorder, especially if you're on the spectrum

really good mood disorder book. I learned a lot. Phelps is a great writer. Lots of resources included too! Thanks.
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the BEST books to read if you've been diagnosed with BP or wondering if you are. Excellent!!
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is atrociously chummy and folksy but the info is good and hard to find elsewhere.
People are healthier when they keep routines. Fancy that.
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, american
For those who suffer from recurrent, cyclical depression, this is an important book to understand why anti-depressants stop working and your depression keeps coming back.
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book you have to read from cover to cover...I found somethings not at all relevant to me, but plenty of things that's worth to keep as a reference book.
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book. Solid information about the basics of Bipolar Disorder and what you can do.
Jan 25, 2014
John Massarini  RHIT
Nov 01, 2016
Erin Morper
Sep 02, 2015
Oonagh MacIain
rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2016
James Elliott
Sep 07, 2013
Joan Opyr
May 18, 2008
  • Welcome to the Jungle: Everything You Wanted to Know about Bipolar But Were Too Freaked Out to Ask
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day by Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder
  • I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar: A Memoir
  • Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability
  • The Untouched Key: Tracing Childhood Trauma in Creativity and Destructiveness
  • Principles of Wicca
  • A Brilliant Madness: Living with Manic-Depressive Illness
  • Jag vill inte dö, jag vill bara inte leva
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • The Bipolar Workbook, First Edition: Tools for Controlling Your Mood Swings
  • Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded
  • Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families
  • I kroppen min: Vägsjäl (I kroppen min, #2)
  • Bipolar Expeditions: Mania and Depression in American Culture
  • Boundaries: Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries
  • Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99