Start by marking “FLACA: An Honest Account of a Latina's struggle with an eating disorder” as Want to Read:
FLACA: An Honest Account of a Latina's struggle with an eating disorder

FLACA: An Honest Account of a Latina's struggle with an eating disorder

After an intervention during the summer of 2018 Leslie finds herself in a treatment center for an eating disorder she was unaware she had. In her own words, Leslie DJ, author of That Girl and Luz digs deep into her own struggles and battle with anorexia and bipolar II disorder in a brave and sometimes comical account of her life.
Paperback, 1
Published February 20th 2020 by Sinister Girlz

To ask other readers questions about FLACA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FLACA

Start your review of FLACA: An Honest Account of a Latina's struggle with an eating disorder
Wendy
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A definite must read

This is my first book by the author, Leslie DJ. FLACA is an honest and brutal account of what it is like being a Domincan female with an eating disorder. I'm not going to lie, it contains parts that can trigger some but, I highly recommend it. If for anything than recognizing the symptoms, how to offer help and support.
Laura Lee
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first book to read by this author.

Short easy to read journal entries by this author that gives us readers an insight to the thoughts that one is going through while suffering from an eating disorder. Although the journal entries were easy to read and written well, it is a hard read... while trying to understand what is going through a persons head that suffers from any disorder.

From entering a treatment program, to going out with friends, to coming in contact with ones who just don'
bookish tanna
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest, real, and important!
I've never had an issue with eating before, so I can't say much on that.
What I can say, is that I relate heavily with Leslie's experience with anxiety. It can be very sufferable and lonely, when you don't want to share your problems for fear of burdening others or just plain embarrassment.
Who could really relate, anyway? WRONG. You are never alone in this world, never!
I was so, and still am, inspired by Leslie's journey and her bravery for writing this story and pu
Charleigh
In Flaca, the author talks about her journey with an eating disorder and bipolar disorder. Raw and honest are two words I’d use to describe this book. Leslie tells her story with unflinching honesty, highlighting her battle with mental illness. She also talks about her childhood and her obsession with pro-anorexia sites.
The book was easy to follow – even with the heavy subject matter. Nice, short journal-like entries that give readers an insight into what it’s like to suffer from an eating disor
Liralen
Diane Wenrich
is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2021

• The Center of Winter
  • Two Girls Down (Alice Vega, #1)
  • The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)
  • The Jetsetters
  • The Wounded Ones (Witch of Empire #2)
  • The Wrong Move
  • Monday's Not Coming
  • Show, Don't Tell: How to write vivid descriptions, handle backstory, and describe your characters’ emotions (Writers’ Guide Series Book 3)
  • The Devil You Know
  • A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)
  • SubZero
  • After Darkness (After Darkness, #1)
  • Little Whispers
  • Beachside Beginnings (Moonlight Harbor, #4)
  • Veronica and the Volcano