Start by marking “Silent Water (A Jagiellon Mystery Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Silent Water (A Jagiellon Mystery Book 1)

Silent Water (A Jagiellon Mystery Book 1)

It is Christmas 1519 and the royal court in Kraków is in the midst of celebrating the joyous season. Less than two years earlier, Italian noblewoman Bona Sforza arrived in Poland’s capital from Bari as King Zygmunt’s new bride. She came from Italy accompanied by a splendid entourage, including Contessa Caterina Sanseverino who oversees the ladies of the Queen’s Chamber.

C
Published August 6th 2019 by Iron Knight Press

To ask other readers questions about Silent Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Water

Start your review of Silent Water (A Jagiellon Mystery Book 1)
James Martin
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is told through the viewpoint of a young widowed Italian woman, Caterina, who accompanies Bona Sforina to Poland. Bona is engaged to the considerably older King Sigismund, and Caterina is placed in charge of Bona’s young ladies-in-waiting.
Amidst the Christmas festivities, a murder occurs and Caterina finds herself in the role of an unlikely but persistent detective. One
Jena Henry
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am happy to be able to share the latest book from historical fiction writer P.K. Adams. Her two previous books, which I highly recommend, focused on the first female physician in Germany in the 1100’s. (The Greenest Branch and A Column of Burning Spices.) Her newest book, Silent Water, an historical mystery, is set in Poland, in the early 1500’s. Silent Water blends careful historical research and insight with a compelling murder mystery and a cast of real historical figures, and some creative ...more
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the depths of winter, during the Polish Golden Age at the time of the Jagiellonian dynasty, Silent Water is a deeply satisfying and engrossing historical mystery.

Often stellar plots are those that are simple, but richly executed, with penetrating human insights and unforgettable sets. Silent Water falls in this category. The narration is in first person with a tone that often borders on the melancholic, hinting to the tragedies that will soon be revealed.

Newly arrived in Poland, Contessa
Paula Butterfield
When Contessa Caterina Sanseverino is widowed, her family’s reduced circumstances dictate that she find another husband quickly; preferably wealthy, probably as old as her first. Instead she jumps at the chance to join Bona Sforza’s household as Lady of the Queen’s Chamber when Bona marries King Zygmunt of Poland and Lithuania.
Donna Caterina’s primary responsibility is overseeing the queen’s Ladies in Waiting, a task comparable to chaperoning a group of teen-aged girls on a never-ending senior
Johanna MacPherson
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Historical fuel for the #me, too movement

This book made no sense in its final conclusion unless it is a flag waving from the tortured history of women. The historic intensity, battle plans, strife over church and state, true depictions of powerful persons, slams straight into a non political deeply personal outrage against one woman. Why did I bother to figure out all the difficult and similar/dissimilar polish & Italian names, only to find that those characters were as important to the plot as
Nicholas Finch
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I was drawn to this more by the terribly dramatic cover than by anything else. It's startling, and mysterious all by itself.

And the previous reviews were sufficient to persuade me this was worth the read.

It totally is! What a great find! Historical drama, with a fictional twist on reality that was so real, by the end it felt positively painful.

Nice mystery work here with a twist that - especially given how the reasons for the crimes committed were eventually revealed - hits you
Moonshadow
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big mystery fan, but I could not put this book down. The characters lept off the page, the historical aspect was meticulously researched, the story line was intriguing and perfect for today's readers.

I would highly recommend and I can't wait for the sequel.
Tania Pratnicki Young
I will buy Book 2 when it comes out. Quick but good read, murder mystery set in the early 1500's, Poland. History is well done and characters interesting.
Elaine Buckley
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silent Water is an engrossing historical mystery that focuses on a series of murders that grips the royal court of Krakow, Poland, in the year 1519. The book’s first-person protagonist is Contessa Caterina Sanseverino, chief Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Bona Sforza of Italy, who two years earlier had married King Zygmunt of Poland and Lithuania. Caterina keeps watchful vigil over the young girls who serve as the queen’s attendants, but she—and the court around her—are roiled by the discovery of a st ...more
Rita
Dec 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
James Martin wrote:

"“Silent Water” is the initial entry in a new mystery series set in sixteenth century Poland, and it is a fine opener.
M.J.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silent Water is a thoroughly enjoyable murder-mystery set at the Polish court in 1519.

The main character is an interesting narrator, and if the beginning is a little slow, it isn't long until the reader is thrust into the court politics of Poland and into the strange events surrounding the murder of a popular courtier.

Having read a few period murder mysteries lately, I must say this has been the most enjoyable. The author has a light touch while ensuring we know enough about the Polish Court and
Patricia Gulley
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A royal court and border changes I knew nothing about, so the historical background was interesting. I would have liked the map to have listed more of the many places mentioned in the book listed. I grew up around Polish speaking people and never knew about the nuances of tone, nor the honorifics. I also liked all the variations on names, not the lease of which is the authors real first name which is a variation on my own. The mystery was good too.
Karen York-Fair
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

This is my third P.K. Adams book and I cannot wait for the sequel to "Silent Water"!!
I read "The Greenest Branch" and "The Column of Burning Spices, both stories are accounts of Hildegard of Bingden, so finely written replete with descriptive landscapes, people and mostly the intrepid and dauntless spirit of Hildegard.
Kelly Nesmith
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eeeeeeeee

Qqqwwwettyuioosscgjkl :;,?; ,e6i cc ztibngccnjjjv nhc CV kkjfsnko bjg hi gficx. Vygvhxv. Hyxbh. Gyhcgtif. By. Big iydhuyyy. Vyyhvguyhnbgj. Yudh. Ctu
Paul Cook
Feb 01, 2020
Jane Wolf
Mar 25, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lode Stone (Medieval Stones Series)
  • The Sorrow Stone
  • The Girl Who Would Be Queen (The Kingdom of Naples #1)
  • IMPOSTOR: A Novel Set in the Kingdom of Naples
  • The King's Commoner: The rise and fall of Cardinal Wolsey (The Tudor Saga #2)
  • RUTHLESS: A Novel Set in Gothic Verona
  • No Stone Unturned (The Lucy Lawrence Mysteries, #1)
  • The Popish Midwife: A tale of high treason, prejudice and betrayal
  • Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green #8)
  • Murder at Mondial Castle (The Discreet Investigations of Lord and Lady Calaway #1)
  • Child of Water (The Heirs of Anarchy, #1)
  • Lilith: A Tale Set in Old Salem
  • Deep Water: A Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mystery (Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mysteries Book 10)
  • The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy #2)
  • Melusine (The Heirs of Anarchy, #2)
  • The Forest and The Flames (The Chronicles of Matilda, Lady of Flanders #2)
  • The Arbella Stuart Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy Book 3)
  • A Vain and Indecent Woman (Classic Historical Fiction Book 8)
I am a Boston-based historical fiction author with a bachelor's degree from Columbia University and a master’s degree from Yale University. I am a life-long lover of history, and my goal is to bring stories of lesser-known historical figures and places to the attention of wider audiences. I have a blog where I share my writing journey, review historical fiction, host guest blogs from fellow author ...more

News & Interviews