Start by marking “The Last Resort” as Want to Read:
The Last Resort

The Last Resort

An old sixties musician and his trim mama run a pot farm in the Emerald Triangle of northern California and welcome an exonerated ex-con, a Las Vegas prostitute, a union organizer from the Bronx, an escapee of a sex slave cult, a retired carney with Parkinson's Disease, and an old Mississippi blues guitarist down on his luck. Together they create a last resort, a modern ve ...more
Published February 5th 2020 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Last Resort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Resort

Start your review of The Last Resort
Erin Clemence
Thanks to the author, @emilygallo, for giving me the oppourtunity to read and review this novel.

“The Last Resort”, by Emily Gallo, is certainly an appropriate name. A collection of “lost souls” (an ex-con, a prostitute, a mob boss, a junkie, just to name a few) find safety, solace and a reason for being working and living on a pot farm run by Dutch, a musician from the sixties who finds peace helping others.

I enjoyed the family dynamic this novel provided, taking a group of society’s “low
Lynelle Clark
I was contacted by the author for a review.
The last resort is an intriguing story of the lost who found a place to recoup, recover and begin anew.
Each person has a story filled with horror and grief. Of pain and rejection.
The development of the plotline filled with bittersweetness and human interaction.
The author's empathy is a true testimony of her desire to write about people's pain and the road to healing. Highlighting the devastation one human can do to another without thinking about the
Sharon
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was contacted by the author to review this intriguing story set at a pot farm in the Emerald Triangle in California. Ironically, I had heard of this area because I had watched a documentary on Netflix about Murder Mountain which is touched on in the book and is a location in the Emerald Triangle filled with mystery and unexplained deaths.

Dutch Bogart, musician and pot grower, is making changes. He has been growing weed since the 70s and has been welcoming harvesters to his home ever since. Thi
Lynne Piza
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful story about coming together, bonding, forming unexpected friendships and a bunch of complete strangers becoming their own little version of a family!

This is such a feel good read and is soooo easy to read! The story is pretty much explained above, but basically we have all of those characters above, from all different walks of life, ending up at the farm needing a place to stay and to work! They all seem to have been escaping something and are more than happy to live and
Kate
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TL;DR
Several individuals all looking for a second chance at life find camaraderie and family amongst the trees of the Emerald Triangle at a marijuana farm owned and operated by a blues songwriter.

FULL REVIEW
This book check-marked all of my criteria I look for when reading: I felt I learned something new, I found something I could walk away with (i.e. message, a new perspective), and I left the story with a feeling of closure.

When Emily Gallo suggested her new book for a read-and-review, I would
Jose Ikram
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a summary, the story is about a fascinating farm where a lot of people who carry different stories and different experiences met and lived together. They escaped their old lives, problems, and the dark past hoping they will survive and start a new life with new opportunities. This farm was a new home for them, a safe home in which they could stay and make adventures.

The events are unexpected which made the reader excited to know what's going to be next and how the characters are going to fin
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Home is where you make it...

Despite people’s attempts to make things black and white, there rarely are such moments. There are grays, nuances and intricacies. Those make up the proverbial spice of life. It’s often said that it’s important to “appreciate the little things.” In a fast-paced world with many things to do and simply not enough time to do them, it becomes all too easy to forget about the little things. The Last Resort illustrates ‘the forgotten ones, those barely scraping by in a soci
Mitaali
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Last Resort by Emily Gallo is a beautifully written story of how fate takes you at the right moment to the right places. It is a story about a musician who runs a pot farm and is kind enough to let a few people like Luther, a prisoner accused for a crime he didn’t commit and Tasha, a prostitute and few others stay with him who were in search of a home. The author has done a wonderful job in weaving a beautiful bond of love, affection, romance, betrayal as well as unexpected friendships. The ...more
TheBookersDiary
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
What happens when a bunch of misfits who have been ostracized by the world come together in one place as a last resort.

Uniqueness: The storyline is pretty unique, but you will find yourself following the characters and ending up relating to them on some level.

Predictability: The only thing predictable aspect of the story would be when you'd expect the characters to end up at the last resort. The story follows a different path once all of them are together. But still manages to be unpredictable.

C
Fatima Salih
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Firstly, I feel honored to be chosen by the author herself, @theemilygallo, to read and review her book.

The Last Resort focused on eight different characters who have different pasts and came from different walks of life. I was quite intrigued as how their story will eventually play out which kept me going. (I finished it in less than three hours)

The plot greatly revolved around their life on the farm which was their "last resort"; of which I perceived as their last shot at starting a new life a
Kelly Sgroi
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
What makes a family?

When an exonerated con, a prostitute and her companion, a cult escapee, an unwell old man, and a musician find respite on a marijuana farm in California, owned by an old music lover and run by a caring woman, there is no way of knowing how things are going to go.

But this is a surprisingly warm and happy read. It's about redemption and acceptance. How salvation and kindness provide hope. And that families can be formed not just bred. By forming the unlikeliest of families, eac
Kristina
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
My three words: character-centered, found family, rural

I want to thank the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Last Resort is the story of a group of misfits who, through often difficult circumstances, find themselves living at a cannabis farm in northern California. The farm is run by Dutch, a man with a head for music and business and a heart of gold.

What I liked about the book is that it was all about the characters. The story was told from multiple points of v
Nancy
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate @theemilyGallo asking me to read her book, which I enjoyed very much.
It was a very easy read well-written with an intriguing storyline and a good dialogue.
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐭 to me is a book about second chances and new beginnings, filled with different characters with remarkable stories.

The author transports the readers into a story about some very interesting well-defined characters with different past, weaknesses, strengths, flaws, fears, tastes, and dreams.
Finding themselves
Chalks And Books
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This one came as a recommendation by the author herself😇. Honestly just to admit here I had no idea about the author or her previous books 🤔..but apparently that turned out to be good in this case because it came as absolutely fresh in every sense, the flow, the writing style, the topic, the characters.

Review:
It's a tale about few strangers that come from different settings and locale, they come together or they made to come together and stay in a farm. They create a bond, create a life, create
Janilyn Kocher
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Last Resort is a different kind of book. It's a story of a motley group who congregate on a pot farm in California and not only form friendships but also a family with each other. It's a gritty read with sexual assault, a forest fire, drugs, and a roving band of thugs. My favorite characters were Luther and Leo. Character development occurs with them the most, in my opinion. One thing did leap out from the book, mentioning Effingham, Illinois, where Tasha claims to hail. I'm very familiar wi ...more
Abbi Jackson
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Last Resort illuminates all the wonderful intricacies of everyday life and reminds us to focus on these things, especially in the fast-paced, technologically focussed world that we live in today. Gallo’s writing style is intoxicating, she draws the reader in to a calm, peaceful life where we are introduced to incredibly complex and likable characters who make us feel at home in their world.

The plot follows Luther, an exonerated ex-con and his journey to be accepted back into society after tw
Kelly
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a wonderful story about friendships that became family.

This was a quick and easy read. there really wasn't a character I didn't like. Jed and Monica were my favorites though. They seemed like such a sweet couple. I loved the beginning of this book and hearing the perspective of someone who has just been freed from prison after so many years.

This is such an uplifting book in these hard times.

Thank you to the author for sending me this book. I always feel honored when receiving req
Taralyn Beyler
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by the author and I found it to be a nice casual read. I really enjoyed how all the characters became so interconnected as the story progresses. This was a wonderful book about how people of different backgrounds can come together and create their own kind of family.

I also learned a couple new words and that is always a huge bonus for me while reading.
Bookshelf  Bunny
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great tale filled with diverse and gritty characters. Each one seeking second chances, healing, and a place to belong. Thanks to the generosity of stoic Dutch, at the aptly nicknamed Last Resort farm, they are given the chance to find all that and more. This is a great feel good read that shows us how powerful music, fellowship, and a little hard work can be.
Amber
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Story

Good story about getting a second chance. Dutch is a pretty awesome man to help out these people in their time of need. And they were each able to help him as well.
I did enjoy the story but it was difficult to follow at times. The flow of the story was choppy in some parts. Great read and I look forward to reading other stories!
Agnieszka
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. A story about a group of people in different stages of life connecting and finding redemption. It was beautifully written. I enjoyed the characters and North California environment.
Romaine
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read with a colourful cast of diverse, intriguing and relatable characters living on Dutch’s farm. Would definitely recommend!
Karishma
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's all about ordinary people trying to live their lives. The book speaks of a mixed batch of people that find a place, build a family and learn to live with each passing day. It's a fabulous read ...more
Rachel
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
First off, I’d like to thank Emily for notifying me about her newest release. I always enjoy receiving requests from authors and publishers because it helps me to read books that I would most likely not have known about otherwise.

There are a wide variety of characters that are focused on within this novel. There’s Dutch Bogart (the owner/runner of the marijuana farm), Juniper (Dutch’s business partner with a difficult past), Scarlett (Juniper’s sister who has escaped from a sex ring), Buster McC
Maureen 'mo'
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TL:DR - Compelling story about an unconventional subject

When the author reached out to me to read her story, I admit I was hesitant. I wasn’t too keen to read a story about a pot farm but it was so much more then that.

It followed a fascinating cast of characters who were looking to start life anew. My favorite character, Luther, was a wrongly convicted ex-con who finds meaning again - something so relevant because of how hard it is for some ex-cons to return enter society. I also enjoyed Buster
Shannon | readwithhugo
Taking place on a marijuana farm in Northern California, The Last Resort follows the owner of the farm, a former blues songwriter, and his business partner, along with their ragtag group of workers, which includes a sex worker, an ex-con, a sex slave cult escapee, a union organizer, a retired carney with Parkinson’s Disease, and a former blues guitarist. Each of these people live on the fringes of society and are looking for a place they can call home.

The author reached out to me and requested t
Shazzy1988
Mar 08, 2020
Jamilla Danae
Dec 31, 2020

• This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
  • The Snowdonia Killings (DI Ruth Hunter #1)
  • Uprooted
  • The Marriage Plot
  • Lost Lake (Lost Lake, #1)
  • Murder on Sisters' Row (Gaslight Mystery, #13)
  • Absolutely Truly
  • The Butterfly and the Violin (Hidden Masterpiece, #1)
  • The Book of Unknown Americans
  • Heat Wave (Nikki Heat, #1)
  • Half-Moon and Empty Stars
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
  • The Great Believers
  • The Guest List
  • The War of the Worlds
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)