Jump to ratings and reviews

The Last Resort

An old sixties musician and his trim mama run a pot farm in the Emerald Triangle of northern California and welcome an exonerated ex-con, a Las Vegas prostitute, a union organizer from the Bronx, an escapee of a sex slave cult, a retired carney with Parkinson's Disease, and an old Mississippi blues guitarist down on his luck. Together they create a last resort, a modern version of home and family.

332 pages, Paperback

Published February 5, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Emily Gallo

8 books11 followers
I View My Life In 3 Acts

Emily Kaufman was the girl growing up in Manhattan in the fifties and sixties. In the sixties and seventies, I attended Clark University and lived in San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Seattle doing the hippie/peace/love/protest thing.

In the eighties and nineties, Emily Saur lived in Northampton, MA and Davis, CA and was the more conventional wife, mother of two, and elementary school teacher.

In 2006, I retired from teaching and became Emily Gallo when I married David, a professor of economics, and moved to Chico, CA to continue our journey. I started writing screenplays and television and moved into novels. David, Gracie (our Schillerhound), Savali (our cat) and I now divide our time between two and a half acres of gardens, orchards in Chico and a 750 square foot condo on the beach in Carpinteria, CA.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (10%)
1 star
4 (7%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews
Profile Image for Erin Clemence.
1,006 reviews297 followers
October 11, 2020
Thanks to the author, @emilygallo, for giving me the oppourtunity to read and review this novel.

“The Last Resort”, by Emily Gallo, is certainly an appropriate name. A collection of “lost souls” (an ex-con, a prostitute, a mob boss, a junkie, just to name a few) find safety, solace and a reason for being working and living on a pot farm run by Dutch, a musician from the sixties who finds peace helping others.

I enjoyed the family dynamic this novel provided, taking a group of society’s “lower” denizens and forming them into a tight-knit band of friends and family in an unusual place. Gallo’s characters are unique in that they are the types usually overlooked in other novels. Her characters are the ones we would pass judgment on if we walked by them on the street, and Gallo’s ability to bring them into the light and force the reader to view them as compassionate, contributing members of society deserving of respect and love was certainly unexpected. However, there is an awful lot of characters in the novel, and it took some sorting through to keep up.

The plot itself was choppy, as it did not seem to have a consistent flow. Initially, we see the collective gathering at the pot farm, from different backgrounds, being put to work and forming their family. Then, we move on to the specifics of farm life, including growing marijuana, and using various psychotropic meds as treatments for Parkinson’s disease. Of course, there is a music festival (which really doesn’t connect to any of the plot lines) and a love triangle (which serves to get rid of one character, although his story is not complete) . Although on their own, the plot lines are intriguing, neither of them seemed to be completely flushed out. I wanted to know more about some plot lines that seemed abandoned, and less about plot points that seemed to be the main focus.

Gallo’s writing is also unique. It does not have the poetic prose and descriptive structure that we see in more mainstream novels. Gallo writes the novel almost like a screen play, the entire story written almost entirely through conversation between characters. There is very little description of settings or characters. I don’t know if this was intentional, but it certainly was a new format for me. I am not sure if I enjoyed this style of writing or not, as it is not something I have a lot of experience with. Readers who enjoy more character-driven stories with little focus on setting and descriptive nouns may find what they need in this style.

Overall, Gallo’s “The Last Resort” is unique and creative, with a character-driven storyline that, although disjointed and choppy, still pulled me in enough to want to see how it ends. With some fine-tuning, Gallo could be the writer to watch.
Profile Image for Erik McManus.
293 reviews291 followers
May 22, 2021
I read this one over a long chunk of time and it was nice to keep coming back to. I liked that the story would take on different aspects of each character and explore them little bits at a time. All the characters came from very different backgrounds and it was interesting to see them all at this little safe haven working together as a little family.

This is definitely a character driven book and I think that is why it took me so long to get through. I enjoyed the book. It wasn’t my favorite or anything but it wasn’t bad either. There were some parts of the book that got pretty captivating in the middle and I was definitely more into it during those parts.

Overall, it was an average book that has the found family trope so if you enjoy that then you might like this book.
Profile Image for Lynelle Clark.
Author 26 books163 followers
December 12, 2020
I was contacted by the author for a review.
The last resort is an intriguing story of the lost who found a place to recoup, recover and begin anew.
Each person has a story filled with horror and grief. Of pain and rejection.
The development of the plotline filled with bittersweetness and human interaction.
The author's empathy is a true testimony of her desire to write about people's pain and the road to healing. Highlighting the devastation one human can do to another without thinking about the consequences to that person.
A great story that shows what humans can do when they really stood together.
Profile Image for Eclectic.
1,263 reviews5 followers
November 7, 2020
I was contacted by the author to review this intriguing story set at a pot farm in the Emerald Triangle in California. Ironically, I had heard of this area because I had watched a documentary on Netflix about Murder Mountain which is touched on in the book and is a location in the Emerald Triangle filled with mystery and unexplained deaths.

Dutch Bogart, musician and pot grower, is making changes. He has been growing weed since the 70s and has been welcoming harvesters to his home ever since. This year is no exception, but with a twist. One couple brings unexpected trouble, and a frightening event threatens the farm.

Dutch’s home is not only a working farm but a sanctuary for people down on their luck looking for second chances. Along with his trim mama, Juniper, and his old and knowledgeable friend Homer, they create a welcoming space to learn and become whole again.

The supporting characters include Luther who has recently been exonerated from a 20-year sentence in San Quentin. Buster is a down-on-his-luck, blues musician. Scarlett is a woman who has escaped from a sex cult. And Leo, a union organizer, and Tasha, a Vegas dealer, and call girl, are running from a Las Vegas pimp and his thugs.

The growing friendship and camaraderie between this unique group of strangers is an interesting dynamic that culminates into a familial atmosphere where everyone works together to save their new home and assist Dutch in his new endeavors.

I learned a lot in this book from using pot to slow tremors in Parkinson’s Disease patients to the inconveniences of legalizing marijuana in an area that has grown pot for decades.

Overall, this expressive character-driven story is about people who are given a second chance in life, finding new friends and family, and finding acceptance and love when one needs it most. If you enjoy reading unique stories filled with new beginnings and a bit of suspense, give this book a try.
Profile Image for Lynne Piza.
78 reviews
June 6, 2020
This is such a beautiful story about coming together, bonding, forming unexpected friendships and a bunch of complete strangers becoming their own little version of a family!

This is such a feel good read and is soooo easy to read! The story is pretty much explained above, but basically we have all of those characters above, from all different walks of life, ending up at the farm needing a place to stay and to work! They all seem to have been escaping something and are more than happy to live and work there!

It’s just so easy to love every single character in this book! Every single one of the main characters are just completely loveable!

The guy who owns the house Dutch is so kind, he opens up his huge home and farm to bring people in who need a second chance at life, who need to start again! He has quite a lot of money and also has some big plans he wants to fulfil and gives everyone who lives their the opportunity to contribute to his plans and in turn he looks after them all! He is so kind hearted!

Juniper is just such a dear! She’s strong headed and amazing at keeping the group together! She is pretty much the mother of their little version of a family, looks after them, Cooks for them, takes care of the vulnerable and poorly ones! And also bosses them all about and keeps them in check!

Luther I really feel for having spent the last 20 years of his life the way he did! It’s so sad, and sometimes I felt a little sorry for him with all the hard work he put in, but he was happy to do so and WANTED to help in every way he could and I just itched for a happy ending for him!

Homer is a right old character, he’s funny and full of banter in the earlier sections of the book but as his illness takes over he struggles to stay strong! Yet his determination and strength is just incredible!

The 2 girls both Tasha and Scarlet also both have had horrendous times and both get saved from dangerous situations but luckily both find themselves on the farm and together. Together they keep each other going and find out just how much they have in common!

Buster is an ex famous musician and is just an amazing friend to homer! He’s so supportive and is a huge contributor to the little family and the event they plan together!

Jed and Monica are just the perfect couple, they work together to help people out, will do anything where they can to help and support people and are just so lovely and kind to everyone!

After they all move in, a terrible and scary event happens, which actually through the tough times brought them all together and made them even more tight knit! They really bonded and become a family and I loved reading this and watching the story unfold! They then all pitch in to fulfil Dutch’s big plans … does it all come together?

I loved how Kind to animals they are in this book, and the fact they save so many! They also run a big event to raise money to support people and animals after a local tragedy!

Honestly I could not have needed a better book right now, friendships, kindness, supportive friends, family, new beginnings and second chances!

I’m so happy to give this book 5 ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ because it was such a Lovely, warm hearted, feel good read, with a little sadness, a bit of fear and scary times and most of all a coming together! It’s beautifully written, with the kindest characters I’ve ever read and it’s exactly what I needed right at this point in time!

Plus I couldn’t put it down and read it super fast!
2 reviews
June 21, 2022
Kinda boring and left on a weird cliff hanger also what's going on with the guitar that just appeared in the last like sixth of the book. Also what is Leo doing and why the weird love triangle. I spent more time trying to figure out what was going on then enjoying it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Ann Pierson.
137 reviews3 followers
April 22, 2021
This is one of the finer examples of “So bad it’s hilarious” I have ever found.

Profile Image for Kate.
9 reviews
April 22, 2020
TL;DR
Several individuals all looking for a second chance at life find camaraderie and family amongst the trees of the Emerald Triangle at a marijuana farm owned and operated by a blues songwriter.

FULL REVIEW
This book check-marked all of my criteria I look for when reading: I felt I learned something new, I found something I could walk away with (i.e. message, a new perspective), and I left the story with a feeling of closure.

When Emily Gallo suggested her new book for a read-and-review, I would be lying if I said I wasn't hesitant once I realized it was focused on a marijuana farming estate in Northern California. This is not because I'm anti-marijuana; I grew up in the Bay Area, where marijuana is very much a part of people's livelihoods- it simply wasn't part of my immediate upbringing and I had zero experience or knowledge to this degree. Emily brought light to a topic most would be hesitant to breach, and she did so in an extremely accurate and informative way.

The characters in The Last Resort banded together as one big mismatched family, still maintaining their individuality and identity pre- joining Dutch on the farm. I felt as though each was able to address their specific issues and gain closure surrounding their circumstances (although I would have loved to hear more of Juniper's backstory).

The scenery painted in the novel was to me, a walk down memory lane. I thoroughly enjoyed the imagery throughout, and every time Emily described San Francisco or Garberville, I was immediately transported to a time I, too had visited those spots. I love being able to walk down a street or past a building mentioned in a book and remember what it connects with in the story. This, to me, will be something I will remember fondly the next time I am back in Northern California.

I highly recommend this read to anyone who is willing to open their mind and enjoy a story of togetherness, second-chapters, and learning to accept all walks of life. Buster said it best:" We're just a bunch of ordinary people trying to live our lives the best way we can".
Profile Image for Jose Ikram.
5 reviews
June 27, 2020
As a summary, the story is about a fascinating farm where a lot of people who carry different stories and different experiences met and lived together. They escaped their old lives, problems, and the dark past hoping they will survive and start a new life with new opportunities. This farm was a new home for them, a safe home in which they could stay and make adventures.

The events are unexpected which made the reader excited to know what's going to be next and how the characters are going to find a way in each situation. This is what I liked about the story. I could feel a lot of emotions and feelings at once because each character has special characteristics and personality. One makes you laugh, the other one will make you feel a sense of sadness and pity. I could live with each character a lot of joyful moments as if I was one of them and as if I was living the story not reading it. Also, I could imagine through reading the author's words how the farm could be so beautiful and green. The language was easy, anyone can read it without any difficulties. There were not many descriptions which make the reading process boring, on the contrary, it contains a lot of interesting thoughts and themes, for instance, Friendship, Hope, and Goodness that may change your perspective towards life.

Each one of us has a story and each one experiences different things from the other one. Life is not always easy and comfortable, sometimes we have to go through rough situations and hard moments in life, but on the bright side, this hardship will create a protective wall by the time which will stop any harm to get in our hearts, yet our hearts will always remain free and warm. Additionally, Injustice may cause innocent people the experience of homelessness poverty, besides the feeling of loneliness and self-loss. Fortunately, there are always good people who will make life easier for us, who will help us find light in the darkest days and relief in the most painful moments. These are the main lessons that I have learned from the masterpiece The Last Resort written by Emily Gallo.

Profile Image for Píaras Cíonnaoíth.
Author 70 books113 followers
February 27, 2020
Home is where you make it...

Despite people’s attempts to make things black and white, there rarely are such moments. There are grays, nuances and intricacies. Those make up the proverbial spice of life. It’s often said that it’s important to “appreciate the little things.” In a fast-paced world with many things to do and simply not enough time to do them, it becomes all too easy to forget about the little things. The Last Resort illustrates ‘the forgotten ones, those barely scraping by in a society obsessed with wealth and celebrity. But these same people, relegated to the margins, not only survive, they thrive, thanks to their compassion and generosity of spirit.’

The Last Resort had every element a good story should have. A solid plot, attention to detail, but best of all fleshed out, well-written and well-rounded character development. There’s an abundance of well-illustrated scenes that make you feel you are right there in the story, and that’s something I look for in a good book. From the opening chapter, setting the tone for the entire work, to the end at which you ponder your own sense of direction, The Last Resort flows like a sparkling river. It’s a great read that’s filled with dramatic and well-described moments that will stay with you for a long time.

I enjoyed the story, character development, and dialogue. There were plenty of plot twists that I didn’t see coming and that added to the book’s mystique. When I stopped reading to work, I found myself wondering what happened in the book, and replaying parts of the novel in my head to see if I could figure more out. It has been a while since I enjoyed a book this much. It’s a first-class fictional drama with perfect pacing.

I’ll be looking forward to reading more from Emily Gallo in the future. A great read and a novel that suggests great things for this author’s future as a writer. Highly recommended and a well-deserved five stars from me.
48 reviews
November 30, 2020
The Last Resort by Emily Gallo is a beautifully written story of how fate takes you at the right moment to the right places. It is a story about a musician who runs a pot farm and is kind enough to let a few people like Luther, a prisoner accused for a crime he didn’t commit and Tasha, a prostitute and few others stay with him who were in search of a home. The author has done a wonderful job in weaving a beautiful bond of love, affection, romance, betrayal as well as unexpected friendships. The best part about the story was that it wasn’t like any other cliché and regular romantic drama. Rather, it showed the adversities life offers. Despite the fact that many of the characters didn’t know each other that well, they worked together during crisis, supported each other, came out with solutions together and most importantly had lots of fun together. The writing style was pretty easy, which keeps you hooked till the end. Although there were some parts of the story that I felt were incomplete, this was a good read after a really long time. Also, I loved how all the characters were so affectionate towards animals.

Now, speaking about the title, nothing could have been better than ‘The Last Resort’. A group of strangers come together to live together and make it home. Just like after a tired and stressful day, we seek the comfort of our own home, the characters made the place their home, their go-to place when they want to find solace and peace, their ‘last resort’.

Lastly, I would like to thank the author Emily who was kind enough to lend me a copy of her book for reading and reviewing it. She didn’t ask me to put up a good review just because she gave me a copy and was patient enough for me to take enough time to read and review it. So go follow her and support her!

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am certainly waiting for more books from the author. I would give this book 4 stars and would recommend everyone to read it.
Profile Image for TheBookersDiary.
34 reviews3 followers
April 29, 2020
What happens when a bunch of misfits who have been ostracized by the world come together in one place as a last resort.

Uniqueness: The storyline is pretty unique, but you will find yourself following the characters and ending up relating to them on some level.

Predictability: The only thing predictable aspect of the story would be when you'd expect the characters to end up at the last resort. The story follows a different path once all of them are together. But still manages to be unpredictable.

Cost Worth: The book is easily affordable at Rs 200 for the kindle edition.

Writing Style: Here is where the book is unique. I specifically found the writing style pretty refreshing. Unlike most books where there is a lot of description about the surroundings, which often leads to writers digressing or losing readers, the author is to the point. Describing where required. The book's main focus was the story and the lives of the people at the farm. The character development was beautiful. Everybody had their own sets of life lessons.

Entertainment: The book has its ups and downs in terms of pace. There were times when I was on the edge of my seat flipping pages, and there were times where I was a little more relaxed. Overall I enjoyed the journey and loved how the characters finally found a place for themselves in the world.

Verdict: The Last Resort is a tale of taking a second chance at life. The characters develop throughout the story and become a family in the end. I have a feeling this is going to come to Netflix at some point. While the ending might have been a bit sudden, I do believe there is a season 2 in the making. 7/10 by The Booker's Diary
1 review
April 2, 2020

Firstly, I feel honored to be chosen by the author herself, @theemilygallo, to read and review her book.

The Last Resort focused on eight different characters who have different pasts and came from different walks of life. I was quite intrigued as how their story will eventually play out which kept me going. (I finished it in less than three hours)

The plot greatly revolved around their life on the farm which was their "last resort"; of which I perceived as their last shot at starting a new life away from the one they are desperately wanting to leave in the city.
The character development was creatively constructed and well-thought off as each character was crafted well to form a bond with the other characters despite their differences.

I also appreciated the fact the Dutch was eager to give a new sense of hope to Juniper, Scarlet, Tasha as well as Homer who was battling Parkinson's Disease; Luther who was also fighting his own potential discrimination as a former convict; and Buster who later said that they got a second life on the farm; as well as Leo who was a union organizer.

Lastly, the introduction of a clinical trial to hel Homer with his Parkinson's was a sensitive yet informative matter. Not many are aware (including myself) about the benefits of a Medical Research which could potentially save lives.

Over-all, I enjoyed reading it and gained a better and deeper understanding about life that there are always second chances to build yourself up with the right people who will never judge you for what you were.
Profile Image for Kelly Sgroi.
92 reviews5 followers
September 14, 2020
What makes a family?

When an exonerated con, a prostitute and her companion, a cult escapee, an unwell old man, and a musician find respite on a marijuana farm in California, owned by an old music lover and run by a caring woman, there is no way of knowing how things are going to go.

But this is a surprisingly warm and happy read. It's about redemption and acceptance. How salvation and kindness provide hope. And that families can be formed not just bred. By forming the unlikeliest of families, each and every member find salvation. And just by working together, they manage to survive their dark pasts, illness, and current dangers. The new and unexpected union makes them all happier.

I found the writing in this book quite polished and engaging. The first third was unputdownable because Emily has crafted some intriguing characters and I loved reading about them all coming together, wondering where the story would take me.

Along the way, I became distanced from the plot as certain events concluded too quickly, but what kept me turning pages was good foreshadowing that provided twists and turns which came to dramatic ends. The actioned-packed third act drew to a pleasing and meaningful conclusion where the connections between these characters shone.

Home can be anywhere, and anyone can build a family if it's formed with kindness.

Thank you to the author, Emily Gallo for providing me with a free copy of her book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Nancy.
2 reviews
April 22, 2020
I really appreciate @theemilyGallo asking me to read her book, which I enjoyed very much.
It was a very easy read well-written with an intriguing storyline and a good dialogue.
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐭 to me is a book about second chances and new beginnings, filled with different characters with remarkable stories.

The author transports the readers into a story about some very interesting well-defined characters with different past, weaknesses, strengths, flaws, fears, tastes, and dreams.
Finding themselves in one place trying to forget, survive to live to be and do better. Reinventing themselves and learning self-worth.
This is the first book that I have read of her, and I'm looking forward to reading more. I highly recommend this book!
”It’s a must-read”👍🏾

𝕊𝕪𝕟𝕠𝕡𝕤𝕚𝕤
Profile Image for Kristina.
168 reviews5 followers
July 19, 2020
My three words: character-centered, found family, rural

I want to thank the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Last Resort is the story of a group of misfits who, through often difficult circumstances, find themselves living at a cannabis farm in northern California. The farm is run by Dutch, a man with a head for music and business and a heart of gold.

What I liked about the book is that it was all about the characters. The story was told from multiple points of view, and I think that enabled each of the main characters to be well-drawn and complex.

I will say that because it is all about character, not much actually happens as far as plot. The majority of the book was dialogue and it felt more often like I was reading a play instead of a novel. Most of the character work was done through this dialogue, and much of the plot was driven by it. In fact, I think this would make a really good play for these reasons, and that would almost be a better format.

However, I do think the characters would great and I recommend this for anyone looking for a leisurely, character-centered story.
October 30, 2020
This one came as a recommendation by the author herself😇. Honestly just to admit here I had no idea about the author or her previous books 🤔..but apparently that turned out to be good in this case because it came as absolutely fresh in every sense, the flow, the writing style, the topic, the characters.

Review:
It's a tale about few strangers that come from different settings and locale, they come together or they made to come together and stay in a farm. They create a bond, create a life, create a space and a family for themselves.

With all of them moving in the farm that is their Last Resort, something happens that truly bring them together in every sense and the story unfurls from thereon..what all happens afterwards..what all they achieve as a family and what is the big plan?? Read and find out🤔🤔🤔

It was a quick read but enjoyed every bit of it.. it was more of a theatrical narrative🙂 it's a lovely tale of companionship, bonding and coming together. More than anything else I love the characterization and added layers to the characters.. deep and meaningful💝

Happy Reading 💖
Profile Image for Janilyn Kocher.
3,094 reviews59 followers
April 28, 2020
The Last Resort is a different kind of book. It's a story of a motley group who congregate on a pot farm in California and not only form friendships but also a family with each other. It's a gritty read with sexual assault, a forest fire, drugs, and a roving band of thugs. My favorite characters were Luther and Leo. Character development occurs with them the most, in my opinion. One thing did leap out from the book, mentioning Effingham, Illinois, where Tasha claims to hail. I'm very familiar with that town and state. The author is a non resident because she refers to Effingham as way down in southern IL, a common mistake. The town is at the very edge of central Illinois. Most people think anything south of Joliet is southern Illinois, but there's more to the state than Chicago and central Illinois does exist. Thanks to E. Gallo and C. Barboza for the courtesy copy in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Abbi Jackson.
16 reviews24 followers
February 28, 2020
The Last Resort illuminates all the wonderful intricacies of everyday life and reminds us to focus on these things, especially in the fast-paced, technologically focussed world that we live in today. Gallo’s writing style is intoxicating, she draws the reader in to a calm, peaceful life where we are introduced to incredibly complex and likable characters who make us feel at home in their world.

The plot follows Luther, an exonerated ex-con and his journey to be accepted back into society after twenty years in prison. Mostly through the kindness of others, Luther finds himself at a family run pot farm in Garberville, northern California, along with many others who are searching for their place in the world.

The idyllic feel and laid-back pace that Gallo creates, allows the reader to take a step back and appreciate the imperfect perfections of everyday life. No matter your background, no matter your problems The Last Resort is literally that, “a sanctuary for all.”

This novel is the first that I have read of Gallo’s and I look forward to delving back into this world, to visit some well-known characters in Murder at the Columbarium, a murder-mystery with a twist.
Profile Image for Kelly.
547 reviews1 follower
July 17, 2020
This is such a wonderful story about friendships that became family.

This was a quick and easy read. there really wasn't a character I didn't like. Jed and Monica were my favorites though. They seemed like such a sweet couple. I loved the beginning of this book and hearing the perspective of someone who has just been freed from prison after so many years.

This is such an uplifting book in these hard times.

Thank you to the author for sending me this book. I always feel honored when receiving requests. I am so glad to have read this one!
801 reviews10 followers
January 20, 2022
There was a good story in this novel but it got lost somewhere. The author was unsure what she wanted the story to be so she threw the kitchen sink at it. An African American man who was exonerated from a murder rap after serving 20+ years, 2 former sex workers, a formerly unhoused individual with Parkinson's, a somewhat well known older blues man and the Humboldt fire. Too much "stuff" and not much why.
Profile Image for Taralyn Beyler.
30 reviews
June 12, 2020
This book was recommended to me by the author and I found it to be a nice casual read. I really enjoyed how all the characters became so interconnected as the story progresses. This was a wonderful book about how people of different backgrounds can come together and create their own kind of family.

I also learned a couple new words and that is always a huge bonus for me while reading.
Profile Image for Bookshelf Bunny.
21 reviews4 followers
September 1, 2020
A great tale filled with diverse and gritty characters. Each one seeking second chances, healing, and a place to belong. Thanks to the generosity of stoic Dutch, at the aptly nicknamed Last Resort farm, they are given the chance to find all that and more. This is a great feel good read that shows us how powerful music, fellowship, and a little hard work can be.
Profile Image for Amber.
160 reviews34 followers
November 23, 2020
Good Story

Good story about getting a second chance. Dutch is a pretty awesome man to help out these people in their time of need. And they were each able to help him as well.
I did enjoy the story but it was difficult to follow at times. The flow of the story was choppy in some parts. Great read and I look forward to reading other stories!
1 review
January 14, 2021
Enjoyed the book. A story about a group of people in different stages of life connecting and finding redemption. It was beautifully written. I enjoyed the characters and North California environment.
69 reviews
April 19, 2020
An enjoyable read with a colourful cast of diverse, intriguing and relatable characters living on Dutch’s farm. Would definitely recommend!
11 reviews
July 10, 2020
It's all about ordinary people trying to live their lives. The book speaks of a mixed batch of people that find a place, build a family and learn to live with each passing day. It's a fabulous read
Profile Image for Rachel.
218 reviews13 followers
February 13, 2021
First off, I’d like to thank Emily for notifying me about her newest release. I always enjoy receiving requests from authors and publishers because it helps me to read books that I would most likely not have known about otherwise.

There are a wide variety of characters that are focused on within this novel. There’s Dutch Bogart (the owner/runner of the marijuana farm), Juniper (Dutch’s business partner with a difficult past), Scarlett (Juniper’s sister who has escaped from a sex ring), Buster McCracken (a retired blues musician), Homer (an elderly man who suffers with Parkinson’s), Luther (an ex-convict who has just been exonerated), Leo (a union worker), and Tasha (a prostitute). I enjoyed the different personalities of each character, but with having so many, I found it difficult at times to remember who was who and would have to go back to a previous chapter to figure it out. Also, some of the personalities I conflicted with a bit, which made me not like the character too much; however, I did really enjoy Buster’s personality.

I do not have any experience with or any background knowledge on marijuana or the farming of it, so I found the subject matter intriguing. I had known, however, that marijuana was used medically to help improve certain medical conditions. One of my favorite parts to read about was how marijuana improved Homer’s condition so much that his hands would stop shaking and he would be able to talk without slurring his words.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the way this novel was written. I’m one of those people that like a certain amount of detail; not too little, but not too much. This book was at the end of too little detail. There were descriptions of certain scenes, but I felt that there weren’t enough details and really wish more were provided for each scene. This was my biggest issue with the book, but I did enjoy the overall plotline.

Like I’ve already mentioned, I really appreciate Emily messaging me about this book. Even though this isn’t one of my favorite novels, it had some pretty memorable characters and was a good read.
Profile Image for Maureen Johnson.
71 reviews5 followers
June 14, 2020
TL:DR - Compelling story about an unconventional subject

When the author reached out to me to read her story, I admit I was hesitant. I wasn’t too keen to read a story about a pot farm but it was so much more then that.

It followed a fascinating cast of characters who were looking to start life anew. My favorite character, Luther, was a wrongly convicted ex-con who finds meaning again - something so relevant because of how hard it is for some ex-cons to return enter society. I also enjoyed Buster and Homer and their friendship with each other Luther. An adorable motley crew of men all looking for meaning and finding it on Dutch’s farm.

The author did a wonderful job describing the scenery of Northern California and the real danger of living through a drought. I’m definitely glad I took a moment to read it and go out of my comfort zone. If you’re looking for a compelling slice-of-life novel, try this one. You’ll definitely be surprised.
Profile Image for Shannon.
307 reviews14 followers
November 30, 2020
Taking place on a marijuana farm in Northern California, The Last Resort follows the owner of the farm, a former blues songwriter, and his business partner, along with their ragtag group of workers, which includes a sex worker, an ex-con, a sex slave cult escapee, a union organizer, a retired carney with Parkinson’s Disease, and a former blues guitarist. Each of these people live on the fringes of society and are looking for a place they can call home.

The author reached out to me and requested that I read and review this book. This book deals a lot with the theme that your family is what you choose it to be and not whose blood you share. This was an easy read that gets the reader invested in the lives of every character while the plot is utterly unique in and of itself. The author’s writing style flows well and there are well-thought-out plot twists that keep the reader guessing.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.