Start by marking “The Woman Behind Her” as Want to Read:
The Woman Behind Her

The Woman Behind Her

A woman alone. Watched. But by whom, and why?

When schoolteacher Jackie Winter inherits her beloved aunt’s house, she discovers that her close relative had been keeping a terrible secret.

As Jackie is drawn into her aunt’s past, all that was certain begins to fray. But she is destined to not experience this alone. Someone is watching her every move.

Then, there is a mur
Published August 8th 2019 by THE BOOK FOLKS crime thriller and suspense publisher

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Behind Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Behind Her

Start your review of The Woman Behind Her
Carolyn
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the death of her beloved Aunt Helen, schoolteacher Jackie Winter returned to her teaching job still grieving only to be faced daily with an obnoxious parent complaining about her child's treatment. When the parent turns up dead after an argument with Jackie in the street near her home, she finds herself suspected of the murder.

Like her Aunt Helen who was a journalist who travelled widely and put her career ahead of marriage, Jackie is a spinster but unlike her Aunt she feels she has become
Sharon
Jackie Winter is most upset when her beloved aunt Helen passes away not long after her passing Jackie is informed she has inherited her aunt's home. Her aunt's house holds fond memories from when she was a young girl it was a spot she loved.

When Jackie discovers her aunt had been keeping a secret she wants to find out more, but just when you think you have this story figured out, think again as it suddenly it takes a turn you won’t see coming.

Having never read anything by this author I wasn’t
Brenda
Jackie Winter realized that she would never hear her beloved Aunt Helen’s voice again. Her passing hadn’t been unexpected, but it was still a great loss. And when Jackie was informed by the solicitor that she had inherited Aunt Helen’s house, among other things, Jackie knew she wanted to remain in the house she’d loved since she was a girl. Perhaps it would keep Aunt Helen close.

Jackie returned to her teaching position after the weeks she’d had off to care for her aunt. But she was unsettled – t
Sharah McConville
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another suspenseful story from Anna Willett. Loved it!
J.B. Trepagnier
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book. A lot of thrillers I pick up, I can spot the ending, but I couldn't in this one. There are actually two mysteries going on in this book. One that involves a current murder of a parent who has been harassing the main character of which she is now a suspect and the mystery of her aunt's past, whose house she has inherited and is now living in. Watching both mysteries unravel was amazing to read because a lot of it, I didn't see coming
Robinette Waterson
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A mild-mannered schoolteacher is drawn into a strange web of past tragedy and ongoing danger. Is someone stalking her? Why do the police think she murdered someone? What is causing her world to spin out of control?

Question follows question in this fast-paced tale of suspense. The characters are well-drawn. The story unfolds with flashbacks and portions from an unpublished manuscript adding depth to the main character’s thoughts, action, and updates from the police investigation.
By the end, all
Diane Dickson
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anna Willett writes dark and threatening very well indeed.

There are many threads that come together beautifully as we watch a timid and insecure woman having to face real horror. The characters are very vivid and the drip feed of truth is intriguing and keeps you turning the pages well into the night.

The past comes back to haunt the present and in the present nothing is quite what it seems. Another great book Ms Willett.
Casey Bartsch
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprise. Most thrillers I pick up these days follow such a similar formula that I can predict them from the start, but not The Woman Behind Her. The twists got me every time and Jackie is such a great character. This is the first book I’ve read from Willett, but I look forward to checking out more. Well done.
David Pearson
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous story from one of my favourite thriller writers! This one kept me totally engaged from the start. As the book progresses, the reader develops an affinity with the main characters, and the culprit remains obscure to the very end. Beautifully written.
Aja
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was just ok. With an unoriginal plot, a predictable ending, and a very unlikable main character that is super hard to root for, I do not recommend this book. I found the main character to be just so terrible and so ‘ugh’. It’s not horrible, but it’s just not noteworthy.
Gabby
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read but I am wondering how she went from an insecure, frumpy, fashionless, friendless spinster to a beautiful and too thin man magnet in a matter of weeks.
Darren
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Up all night read

Really kept you guessing. Edge if your seat until the end. Read a few if this authors books and not been disappointed. Her characters are so very relatable.
Kevin
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Woman Behind Her, by Anna Willett, is a haunting story of guilt, resolve, and facing one’s fears. I was reminded of Edgar Allan Poe's classic The Tell-tale Heart. Jackie, a mousey, timid school teacher, faces the building terror of being investigated by the police after an abusive parent is found dead. Jackie is the last person to see her alive. Jackie’s tension and dread is palpable as she spirals into a state of fear and near-madness. It is a wonderfully written tale.

Then, the story takes
Erik Empson
Anna Willett does it again with a creepy thriller in which the tension mounts on every page. Jackie Winter is a tough cookie - as a teacher, she has to be - but when her aunt dies and she moves into her house, her world changes quickly. Beginning to doubt herself, she finds herself in deep water. Accused of a terrible crime, she has to cover her tracks, and only a secret buried far in the past will help her.
Janet Harrison
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Anna Willetts books and I am never disappointed and this book is no exception. The Woman Behind Her is such a brilliant story. I couldn't put this book down, it had me engaged from the very first page until the very last page. Beautifully written, I highly recommended this book.
If you think you have this story figured out...think again!
Jazzy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two sittings!

After the death of her aunt, Jackie starts to discover a secret past, but just when you think you know which way this story is going, think again. Things get scary and the twists keep coming.

An excellent thriller for lovers of this genre.
Rochelle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Awesome

Awesome book. I will be looking for more from this author . Love her writing style.she kept me wanting to know more
Susan Margaret Leedy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written story

Loved this book, each and every person and situation was well presented. The horrors which occurred were poignant even in their psychotic existential nausea!
Betty Mueller
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it! I literally couldn't put it down. Very well written and the surprises just kept coming.
Karen Sheldon
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good book...woman's aunt passes away and she thinks she fell and hurt herself. The plot twists and turns from there. Well written with a great twist in the story.
SUE
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
very good story. I was surprised with who the culprit was.
Cindy

• The Midnight Wife
  • The Surrogate Mother
  • Torment
  • The Perfect Son
  • Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
  • I Said Yes
  • The Wife's House
  • Apartment Six
  • The Girl on Gander Green Lane
  • The Bone Harvest (Riley Sullivan Mystery Book 2)
  • Her Missing Child