Start by marking “Ancient Protector (Ancients Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Protector (Ancients Rising, #1)

Ancient Protector

(Ancients Rising #1)

Even as he fights for their future…

With the world still rebuilding after massive dragon attacks, famous singer Star isn’t willing to rely on a stranger to protect her family—though dragon shifter Lachlan is difficult to resist. Something about him is strangely familiar, but she doesn’t understand why. He’s already helped Star rescue her sister from a recent abduction, but
Published June 30th 2020 by KR Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Protector

Start your review of Ancient Protector (Ancients Rising, #1)
PamG
ANCIENT PROTECTOR by Katie Reus is the first book in the Ancients Rising paranormal romance and fantasy series. This is a spin-off of her Darkness series, but can be read without reading that series. It is also the second book by this author that I have read. Star’s sister has been abducted and she and her pack mates are determined to rescue her and head to their safe house.

Star and Lachlan are both Alphas of their packs and complement each other well. With two strong protagonists, this story li
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Ancient Protector by Katie Reus

Paranormal romance with dragon shifters. First in the Ancient Risings series.
A spin off from the Darkness series. Can be read without reading the prior series.
Quasi post-apocalyptic. Reincarnation / fated mate troupe.

Dragons have been outed to the world, as have other paranormals. Humans are no longer at the top of the food chain. The transition in power has changed the dynamics in the world. Everything from the dollar to health care to food distribution and hous
Claire Robinson
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - "You need to step up your game… dragon." Stars!

A great start to Katie’s new Ancients Rising series. Ancient Protector bridges over from the Darkness series perfectly with characters old and new merging seamlessly in New Orleans, we are six weeks on from The Fall and paranormals are openly living side by side with humans whilst trying to rebuild their lives and city.

"You don’t give me orders. You are not my alpha…"

"…I could be your Alpha in the bedroom."

Star and Lachlan were both extremely l
Mindy Lou's Book Review
I'm so happy that we are back into this world again. This is a spinoff of the Darkness series and I love seeing some of my favorite characters again. Especially the ancient dragon shifters.

Out of all the dragon shifter books I have read, Katie Reus has created my absolute favorite dragons. They are dominant, territorial, and extremely possessive of their mates. Plus, they are so old, they come off a bit quirky in today's world.

Lachlan's intensity right from the very beginning had me sold. Espec
Carvanz
I am so excited that this author has decided to take us back into this world! Dragon shifters are my jam but Ms. Reus’ dragons are pure perfection.

Though there are 46 types of dragons, this quiz is on more obvious personalities. Find yourself inside one of these elusive and mystical creatures

Lachlan was obsessively protective of Star and another great example of my type of hero. Star was labeled “Alpha” which can often turn me off a heroine instantly. Not so here. She was sweet and caring but able to make the decisions necessary to protect her crew.

description

There’s a bit of mystery here surrounding this heroine’s origins. While it isn’t terribly
Leigh
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ancient Protector is book 1 in the Ancients Rising series and picks up where Darkness Rising book 9 in the Darkness series left off. While this is a spin off series it works fine as a stand alone but I will encourage anyone who enjoys this book to go back because the Darkness series is so enjoyable. Lachlan is an ancient dragon who wakes from his hibernation after thousands of years. Star is a young singer who has finally found her kidnapped sister at the home of a powerful dragon but lucky for ...more
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC received for review

Great first book in a spin-off series to the Darkness series. This book takes places after the ending of Darkness Rising. No, you don't have to have read it to understand this book, but it sure makes it better.

Well actually, the first five chapters of this book are right before the fall and gives you history of Star and her peeps, the danger they are in, and we meet Lachlan. Then we fast forward to right after the fall where humans are now aware of supernatural beings (ie
Deborah
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I do love dragons.
Having loved the Darkness series I was excited at the prospect of more.

Star is a shifter but no one seems to know exactly what she is. And it does take a couple of chapters to work it out. Her sister Aurora has been kidnapped. And Star is about to launch a rescue mission when we first meet her.

Lachlan is an ancient dragon. Unable to live after the death of his loved one. Lachlan puts himself into hibernation. Recently risen he hears Star sing and her voice calls to him.

He help
Julie - One Book More
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Ancients Rising series, and it’s a spin-off of the Darkness series. However, you don’t have to read the Darkness series to fall in love with the characters and world of Ancient Protector.

Star is a fantastic protagonist and leader, always thinking of her people before herself. She is selfless, strong, and powerful, and she’s well-respected. She is also a mystery. There are many types of shifters – dragons, lions, wolves, and more, but Star’s shifter identity remains
Elodie
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ancient Protector
Ancients Rising Series #1
Katie Reus
Release date 06/30/2020
Publisher KR Press

Blurb :

Even as he fights for their future…

Molly
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Awesomely steamy, actiony goodness! Katie Reus continues the Darkness universe with a new series that introduces ancient sexy dragons and a new kind of all-powerful shifter, that's everything a supernatural heroine should be - witty, confident and sexy. I can't wait for the next instalment!
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
This is the first in a new series. This paranormal post apocalyptic read can be read as a stand alone. I understand it is a spin off from another series by this author. I had not read that and was easily able to follow this along. I did not ever feel like I was missing the joke so to speak.

I love Dragon shifter stories so I was drawn to the synopsis to begin with. And then the author really delivers. Fantastic world building! She lays the groundwork for the reader to want to learn more about th
Treena
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for granting my request for an arc of this book. The review below is entirely my own opinion.

This is the first book in a new spinoff series set in the same world as the author’s Darkness series and the circumstances or setting picks up just about right where Darkness Rising ends.

I really liked Lachlan and Star.

He’s an ancient dragon, who just woke up from his Hibernation of thousands of years. He’s an Alpha Laird of a clan of dragons from Scotland. He
Dawn
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay another hit of a series, I'm predicting! This is the opening book to this series and as sci-fi series it takes me a bit to get into it but I was pretty hooked almost from the beginning of this one.

You'll love the characters and the descriptions of each person and who and what they are. Supernaturals abound in this book and I cannot wait to read more.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Maranda
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Star" is a famous singer and has nothing else on her mind but to rescue her sister. Her sister is being held on a Dragon estate and when Star and her team of shifters make the move to save her they are involved in a battle that unveils shifters to the world. Lachlan, an ancient dragon who has been in hibernation awakens, he is drawn to the voice of "Star" Reus writes a great start to a new series filled with characters that grab the reader into wanting their romantic HEA. A copy ofthis book was ...more
Mel
Ancient Protector is the first in the new paranormal romance spin-off series Ancient Risings by Katie Reus. This series is a spin-off of her Darkness series. You do not need to read the Darkness series to enjoy this book. I have not read it, but I believe several of the characters from the other series make an appearance in this book which would be a treat for fans. In fact, I enjoyed this book so much that I have put the Darkness series on my to-be-read-list.

Ancient protector starts off with S
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

This book is a spin-off from her Darkness series and I’m so glad! I wasn’t ready to leave that world behind! Buckle in, this review will be long.

Some background: At the end of the last series, dragons were outed to humans. This then prompted all the other Other to come public as well. Vampires, shifters of all kinds, you get the idea. This book starts slightly before, then takes place a few months after.

Star is a pop star. Not just a pop star, the pop star.
Kim
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Star is a famous singer and something else she keeps hidden to protect herself. She is guarded and untrusting, and rightly so since she and her sister are some of the last of their kind. And now she and her motley crew of friends are on a mission to rescue her kidnapped sister.

Lachlan is an ancient dragon shifter alpha recently out of hibernation and a reclusive billionaire. He was still in mourning of his first lost love, but then he heard Star sing. Something about her called to him so he sho
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Ancient Protector Katie Reus is book One in the Ancients Rising Series which actually is a Spin off Series from the Darkness series...but this can be a standalone book/ series. This is the story of Lachlan and Star. Star is a famous singer who hides a secret that very few know about her. Start has set up a mission to rescue her sister Aurora under the cover of a Charity event. This event has her auctioning off a date with her but she is surprised when someone starts bidding on her that she if co ...more
Peggy R
This is my first introduction into author Katie Reus' paranormal world but it certainly won't be my last. I devoured this book in about a day. The author has done a great job of introducing all of the characters allowing the reader to get the backstory on Star, Lachlan, and the other characters who play an important role in the story. If you have read her Darkness Series then you will likely see characters you are familiar with. I hadn't read that series, but I will definitely check it out. This ...more
Alphas Do It Better Book Blog
5 Stars

Powerful, Intriguing and Intense...the first words that come to kind to describe this new series! I read few paranormal books, it is not my typical genre. I do love other books by Ms. Reus though, so I took a chance on this newest series as the blurb drew me in. I am absolutely thrilled with my decision! Lachlan and Star are such striking individuals, and as a team they have a passion and energy that cannot be matched. The introduction of so many fantastic and multidimensional characters
Stella (Stella’s Book Binge)
Review to come
Marie
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preordered
I'm so looking forward this book! A Scottish dragonshifter! 🥰😍 I really enjoyed this story! Lachlan is mine!
Marie Andersson
A Scottish dragon shifter? Yes please! 🥰😍💜❤️ The cover looks amazing too! I really like that we meet Reaper and Greer again! Lachlan is mine by the way! 🥰😍😘😚
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series is a spinoff from the Darkness series that's already completed, but you don't have to read that series to understand this one. But it was good to see some of the characters from those books again. I loved that series.

This series is going to be entirely different and change is always good, but I'm not sure this one is going to entirely work for me. The setting is semi-dystopian and I seriously dislike dystopian novels. There are some major differences from the traditional dystopia gen
Laurie
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, paranormal
I’ve been waiting for Ancient Protector ever since the entire world went to hell in a handbasket in Darkness Rising, the last book in Ms. Reus’ Darkness Series. I’ve wanted to check back in with all my favorite characters and see how they were doing and how things worked out as they tried to regroup and rebuild. I was also curious to see how humanity was going to deal with finding out that all those scary things nobody believed existed really do. Yeah, I had a lot of expectations going in.

At fi
Sandy S
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars--ANCIENT PROTECTOR is the first instalment in Katie Reus’ contemporary, adult ANCIENTS RISING paranormal, romance series. This is ancient dragon alpha of the Donnachaidh clan in Scotland, Lachlan, and singer Star’s story line. The ANCIENTS RISING series is a spin-off from the author’s DARKNESS series but you do not have to have read the original series to follow the current time line. A few characters from the Darkness Series crossover for cohesion and familiarity.

Told from dual third
A Klue
As usual, this author gives us an unwavering, jealous-possessive, alpha protective hero who will do anything for the heroine, which makes him absolutely perfect in my eyes. Ancient Scottish dragon shifter Lachlan sensed a special connection with Star, the famous singer leading lady, even before he laid eyes on her, folks. Not surprisingly, a big reveal is made near the end that was pretty obvious was going to occur. It certainly helped confirm why. Star also happens to be hiding a special secret ...more
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

RATING: 3 Stars
CLIFFHANGER: No

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

Quickie review:

ANCIENT PROTECTOR is the first in a new series by Katie Reus. If you love dragon shifters like me you'll understand why I jumped at reading this. It did not quite meet my, admittedly ridiculous expectations but I did enjoy reading about Star and Lachlan.

Here are some points I noticed a
ZETTER
Protecting His!!!

Starling "Star", a famous singer and one of the only two remaining if her kind. She has always been protective of her little sister, Aurora. The latter was kidnapped, the former and her band had a plan to rescue her. While escaping they were attacked and a beautiful stranger came to her rescue. Who was that!? she had no idea until a few weeks later.

Her protective stranger wanted to look after and protect them. No matter how irresistible he was, she didn't know if she wanted him
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Broken (Deep Ops #3)
  • Bait N' Witch (Brimstone Inc., #3)
  • Tempting The Dragon King (Dragon Lords, #1)
  • Wolf Under Fire (STAT #1)
  • Honor Avenged (HORNET, #6)
  • Arctic Bite (Forgotten Brotherhood, #2)
  • Enchant the Night
  • Flame (Dark Kings #17)
  • Hooking Him (How to Catch an Alpha, #3)
  • A Cowboy State of Mind (Creedence Horse Rescue #1)
  • Hard Edge (Cobra Elite, #4)
  • Pivot: Three Connected Stories of Romantic Suspense
  • Game Changer (Wynn Hockey, #5)
  • The Highlander's English Bride (Clan Kendrick, #3)
  • Drew (Heaven Hill Shorts Book 8)
  • The Bear Who Loved Me (Grizzlies Gone Wild, #1)
  • Every Little Piece of Me (Orchid Valley #1)
  • My Fallen Saint  (Fallen Saint, #1)
Katie Reus is the New York Times, USA Today, & IndieReader bestselling author of the Red Stone Security series, the Moon Shifter series and the Deadly Ops series. She fell in love with romance at a young age thanks to books she pilfered from her mom's stash. Years later she loves reading romance almost as much as she loves writing it. However, she didn't always know she wanted to be a writer. Afte ...more

Ancients Rising (3 books)
  • Ancient Enemy (Ancients Rising #2)
  • Ancient Enforcer (Ancients Rising #3)

News & Interviews