Start by marking “Ancient Protector (Ancients Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Protector (Ancients Rising, #1)

Ancient Protector

(Ancients Rising #1)

Even as he fights for their future…

With the world still rebuilding after massive dragon attacks, famous singer Star isn’t willing to rely on a stranger to protect her family—though dragon shifter Lachlan is difficult to resist. Something about him is strangely familiar, but she doesn’t understand why. He’s already helped Star rescue her sister from a recent abduction, but
Published June 30th 2020 by KR Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Protector

Start your review of Ancient Protector (Ancients Rising, #1)
PamG
ANCIENT PROTECTOR by Katie Reus is the first book in the Ancients Rising paranormal romance and fantasy series. This is a spin-off of her Darkness series, but can be read without reading that series. It is also the second book by this author that I have read. Star’s sister has been abducted and she and her pack mates are determined to rescue her and head to their safe house.

Star and Lachlan are both Alphas of their packs and complement each other well. With two strong protagonists, this story li
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Ancient Protector by Katie Reus

Paranormal romance with dragon shifters. First in the Ancient Risings series.
A spin off from the Darkness series. Can be read without reading the prior series.
Quasi post-apocalyptic. Reincarnation / fated mate troupe.

Dragons have been outed to the world, as have other paranormals. Humans are no longer at the top of the food chain. The transition in power has changed the dynamics in the world. Everything from the dollar to health care to food distribution and hous
Mindy Lou's Book Review
I'm so happy that we are back into this world again. This is a spinoff of the Darkness series and I love seeing some of my favorite characters again. Especially the ancient dragon shifters.

Out of all the dragon shifter books I have read, Katie Reus has created my absolute favorite dragons. They are dominant, territorial, and extremely possessive of their mates. Plus, they are so old, they come off a bit quirky in today's world.

Lachlan's intensity right from the very beginning had me sold. Espec
Claire
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - "You need to step up your game… dragon." Stars!

A great start to Katie’s new Ancients Rising series. Ancient Protector bridges over from the Darkness series perfectly with characters old and new merging seamlessly in New Orleans, we are six weeks on from The Fall and paranormals are openly living side by side with humans whilst trying to rebuild their lives and city.

"You don’t give me orders. You are not my alpha…"

"…I could be your Alpha in the bedroom."

Star and Lachlan were both extremely l
Carvanz
I am so excited that this author has decided to take us back into this world! Dragon shifters are my jam but Ms. Reus’ dragons are pure perfection.

Though there are 46 types of dragons, this quiz is on more obvious personalities. Find yourself inside one of these elusive and mystical creatures

Lachlan was obsessively protective of Star and another great example of my type of hero. Star was labeled “Alpha” which can often turn me off a heroine instantly. Not so here. She was sweet and caring but able to make the decisions necessary to protect her crew.

description

There’s a bit of mystery here surrounding this heroine’s origins. While it isn’t terribly
Deborah
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I do love dragons.
Having loved the Darkness series I was excited at the prospect of more.

Star is a shifter but no one seems to know exactly what she is. And it does take a couple of chapters to work it out. Her sister Aurora has been kidnapped. And Star is about to launch a rescue mission when we first meet her.

Lachlan is an ancient dragon. Unable to live after the death of his loved one. Lachlan puts himself into hibernation. Recently risen he hears Star sing and her voice calls to him.

He help
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC received for review

Great first book in a spin-off series to the Darkness series. This book takes places after the ending of Darkness Rising. No, you don't have to have read it to understand this book, but it sure makes it better.

Well actually, the first five chapters of this book are right before the fall and gives you history of Star and her peeps, the danger they are in, and we meet Lachlan. Then we fast forward to right after the fall where humans are now aware of supernatural beings (ie
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

RATING: 3 Stars
CLIFFHANGER: No

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

Quickie review:

ANCIENT PROTECTOR is the first in a new series by Katie Reus. If you love dragon shifters like me you'll understand why I jumped at reading this. It did not quite meet my, admittedly ridiculous expectations but I did enjoy reading about Star and Lachlan.

Here are some points I noticed a
Leigh
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ancient Protector is book 1 in the Ancients Rising series and picks up where Darkness Rising book 9 in the Darkness series left off. While this is a spin off series it works fine as a stand alone but I will encourage anyone who enjoys this book to go back because the Darkness series is so enjoyable. Lachlan is an ancient dragon who wakes from his hibernation after thousands of years. Star is a young singer who has finally found her kidnapped sister at the home of a powerful dragon but lucky for ...more
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
The audio was a bit difficult to get through. The narrator Lauren Enzo was a bad choice. I wish they had stuck with Jeffrey Kafer but who knows why they didn’t keep him on the spin-off.

Morning Star was the alpha of her shifter clan and she was a global singer named “Star”. Someone kidnapped her sister and for over a year, they were trying to find out who and why. Finally they found who kidnapped Aurora, but getting her from the evil dragon shifter Oscar was going to be tricky.
Plus an ancient dr
Vashti
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars...
Review pending.
Julie - One Book More
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Ancients Rising series, and it’s a spin-off of the Darkness series. However, you don’t have to read the Darkness series to fall in love with the characters and world of Ancient Protector.

Star is a fantastic protagonist and leader, always thinking of her people before herself. She is selfless, strong, and powerful, and she’s well-respected. She is also a mystery. There are many types of shifters – dragons, lions, wolves, and more, but Star’s shifter identity remains
Gi's Spot Reviews
4.5 ‘My Morning Star’ Stars

Awww, how I missed Katie Reus Darkness world!!! These dragons just can be beat and Lachlan is THE dragon! What an amazing come back to one of my fav PNR universes!

To say I was excited for the spin off series would be an understatement because I was dying for this. And the wait and anticipation were so worth because Lachlan and Star are the perfect couple to kick off this new adventure.

Smoldering? That was a thing, right? Because he had it in spades.

“What happens if she
Katie Reus
Release date 06/30/2020
Publisher KR Press

Blurb :

Even as he fights for their future…

Molly
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Awesomely steamy, actiony goodness! Katie Reus continues the Darkness universe with a new series that introduces ancient sexy dragons and a new kind of all-powerful shifter, that's everything a supernatural heroine should be - witty, confident and sexy. I can't wait for the next instalment! ...more
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
This is the first in a new series. This paranormal post apocalyptic read can be read as a stand alone. I understand it is a spin off from another series by this author. I had not read that and was easily able to follow this along. I did not ever feel like I was missing the joke so to speak.

I love Dragon shifter stories so I was drawn to the synopsis to begin with. And then the author really delivers. Fantastic world building! She lays the groundwork for the reader to want to learn more about th
Kate V
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Ancients Rising series and features Star and Lachlan. It is connected to Reus' Darkness series so if you've read those, you'll notice characters from those books. I picked this up because I love any story with dragons. Dragons are my cat nip.

However, I'm not entirely sure how I felt about this book. I think I needed it to be more. I loved the Darkness series and I'm not sure this book was up to par with her Darkness books.

Star is a shifter (although we don't know
Treena
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for granting my request for an arc of this book. The review below is entirely my own opinion.

This is the first book in a new spinoff series set in the same world as the author’s Darkness series and the circumstances or setting picks up just about right where Darkness Rising ends.

I really liked Lachlan and Star.

He’s an ancient dragon, who just woke up from his Hibernation of thousands of years. He’s an Alpha Laird of a clan of dragons from Scotland. He
Jewlsbookblog
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ancient Protector by Katie Reus was a wonderful spin off series!! A sexy Scottish Dragon, a purple haired singer with shifter secrets of her own, and the thrill of the chase-I am ready for the next one
Mel
Ancient Protector is the first in the new paranormal romance spin-off series Ancient Risings by Katie Reus. This series is a spin-off of her Darkness series. You do not need to read the Darkness series to enjoy this book. I have not read it, but I believe several of the characters from the other series make an appearance in this book which would be a treat for fans. In fact, I enjoyed this book so much that I have put the Darkness series on my to-be-read-list.

Ancient protector starts off with S
Mary Kirkland
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Star is a singer and makes plans to put on a show so she can get closer to Oscar's home. Because she's sure her sister is being held against her will somewhere in Oscar's home and she and her friends are there to help her escape.

Lachlan is at Oscar's estate to watch Star sing and decides to bid on her celebrity auction to have a date with her. But after he wins a date and listens to her sing, all hell breaks loose.

After rescuing her sister Aurora, things get a little dangerous for Star and her
Dawn
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay another hit of a series, I'm predicting! This is the opening book to this series and as sci-fi series it takes me a bit to get into it but I was pretty hooked almost from the beginning of this one.

You'll love the characters and the descriptions of each person and who and what they are. Supernaturals abound in this book and I cannot wait to read more.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Rosemary K
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Star is a famous singer, but her career is a means to an end. She's determined to rescue her sister who was kidnapped by a ruthless dragon shifter. By agreeing to performing at his fortified estate, she along with her team of shifters plan to free Aurora. Here Star finds her mate. Lachlan is an Ancient who went into hibernation when he lost his true love. Now he's back to lead his clan. What is the strong connection between Star and her Scottish dragon? Are her strange dreams actually memories o ...more
Speed
I absolutely love Dragons!!! Star and Lachlan made an absolutely delightful couple, lol. Star is on a mission to rescue her sister who has been imprisoned and it is up to her and her crew to break her out. This is also the same time she meets Lachlan. Lachlan an alpha dragon realizes she is his mate and goes to unbelievable lengths to protect her and keep her safe. I loved Lachlan he as an alpha dragon, an ancient one and he was supportive and protective of his alpha mate, Star. I loved that the ...more
Heather Emery
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully done paranormal book that includes all kinds of species with a good story to support it. The author was really good at creating a true connection and not just relying on the "mate" connection. The story was well done and kept my interested throughout. ...more
Maranda
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Star" is a famous singer and has nothing else on her mind but to rescue her sister. Her sister is being held on a Dragon estate and when Star and her team of shifters make the move to save her they are involved in a battle that unveils shifters to the world. Lachlan, an ancient dragon who has been in hibernation awakens, he is drawn to the voice of "Star" Reus writes a great start to a new series filled with characters that grab the reader into wanting their romantic HEA. A copy ofthis book was ...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Star is a world-renowned singing sensation with one mission: recover her abducted sister Aurora, who was taken by a devious dragon shifter because he knows the truth of and covets what Aurora is. Once Star and her pack of diverse shifters break Aurora free, they make new lives for themselves in New Orleans.

Lachlan is an ancient dragon, alpha of a clan in Scotland, recently awakened from his hibernation. He bids a million dollars for a date with Star at a celebrity auction and follows her to New
Lacy
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Katie Reus has gotten me back into reading shifter romances in a big way—particularly dragon shifters. And I couldn’t be happier. Ancient Protector is the first book in her new Ancients Rising series, which looks promising. I loved the action, suspense, romance, worldbuilding, and how the importance of family comes through so clearly in the story. Like Reus’ other books, the novel is full of secrets, twists, turns, and surprises that will keep readers glued to the pages in suspense dying to find ...more
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

This book is a spin-off from her Darkness series and I’m so glad! I wasn’t ready to leave that world behind! Buckle in, this review will be long.

Some background: At the end of the last series, dragons were outed to humans. This then prompted all the other Other to come public as well. Vampires, shifters of all kinds, you get the idea. This book starts slightly before, then takes place a few months after.

Star is a pop star. Not just a pop star, the pop star.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Signed (Bear Mail, #1)
  • Alien Shenanigans (Triple the Trouble, #2)
  • The Blood King (Inferno Rising, #2)
  • Guardian's Grace (Dark Protectors, #12)
  • Hunting Wolf (Black Mesa Wolves, #3)
  • Dragon Souls Box Set (Broken Souls #1-2)
  • My Fallen Saint  (Fallen Saint, #1)
  • The Dragon Prince of Alaska (Royal Dragons of Alaska, #1)
  • Trap 'N' Trace (Federal K-9, #4)
  • Claim the Dragon (The Legion #2)
  • Fake Play
  • Sacrifice of Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, #15.5)
  • The Billionaire Deal (The Sutton Billionaires, #1)
  • Shift Out of Luck (Brimstone Inc., #2)
  • Hers to Tame (NOLA Knights, #2)
  • The Footman and I (The Footmen’s Club, #1)
  • The Eye Thief (DI Erica Swift, #1)
See top shelves…
Katie Reus is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Red Stone Security series, the Redemption Harbor series and the Deadly Ops series. She fell in love with romance at a young age thanks to books she pilfered from her mom's stash. Years later she loves reading romance almost as much as she loves writing it. However, she didn't always know she wanted to be a writer. After chang ...more

Ancients Rising (4 books)
  • Ancient Enemy (Ancients Rising #2)
  • Ancient Enforcer (Ancients Rising #3)
  • Ancient Vendetta (Ancients Rising, #4)

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...