Start by marking “Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know” as Want to Read:
Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know

Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know

Told in alternating narratives that bridge centuries, the latest novel from New York Times bestselling author Samira Ahmed traces the lives of two young women fighting to write their own stories and escape the pressure of familial burdens and cultural expectations in worlds too long defined by men.

It’s August in Paris and 17-year-old Khayyam Maquet—American, French, India
Published April 7th 2020 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know, please sign up.
Latesha Dejean There is a hint at sex because one of the characters was a concubine but it was really only a hint. There is kissing but it doesn't go much further th…moreThere is a hint at sex because one of the characters was a concubine but it was really only a hint. There is kissing but it doesn't go much further than than.(less)

Start your review of Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
OMG! Isn’t it enchanting idea to read a book about two powerful women from different time lines who want to raise their voices and tell their stories! One of them is in Paris, searching for the deepest secrets hid behind a remarkable drawing with a charming French guy carries his descendant Alexandre Dumas’ name! And the other woman is a haseki, leaving behind the walls of Ottoman Harem, telling her secret love triangle story which resulted tragically!

Didn’t you get excited and start to dance l
jv poore
Khayyam’s life is finished and she’s only seventeen.

Ok, that may be a bit over-the-top, but she truly is beyond bummed to have completely blown her chance to achieve her life-long dream. Admittedly, her over-eager attempt to get into the Chicago School of Art Institute was not as well researched as it should have been. The needlessly harsh criticism of one judge plays on repeat in Khayyam’s mind.

The hateful words aren’t wrong; but neither is Khayyam’s theory. A portrait must to be missing from
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Two teens unravel the mystery of a Muslim woman mentioned in letters from Alexandar Dumas. Yes.
Enne (they/them)
i, too, would like to escape to France for the summer and uncover hidden histories with a pretty Parisian boy
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
As a fan of Byronic heroes, the title is Relevant to My Interests™
Dany
OH MY GOODNESS

My heart was soaring through the book with the amazing plot and fun mystery.

Khayyam is in Paris for her Summer vacation where she is ridiculed for her art essay for a Young scholar prize. After stepping in dog poop and feeling like a total screw up , Khayyam meets a cute french boy who might actually be a solution to her love life and her chance to get her Young Scholar Prize .

Why should you care / read / pre order Mad , Bad & Dangerous to know? Lemme explain.

Characters

Our MC khay
Sahitya
Despite following the author for a long time on Twitter, I have actually never read her books before. Internment has been on my tbr for a long time but it intimidates the hell out of me and I’m just so scared to read it. But when I saw the blurb for this one, I just knew this was my type of book and I had to read it immediately. And it was amazing.

Even though I mostly read fantasy or romance novels, I am actually very fond of books which have a lot of archeological, historical or artsy elements
Lulu (the library leopard)
Oct 21, 2017 marked it as tbr-library
ok i'm gonna admit some slight confusion that this isn't related to lord byron but this also sounds AWESOME
Saajid Hosein
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
*Requested and ARC in exchange for honest review.

3.5 for now. Will write a review soon.
Vee_Bookish // stan shea couleé
the UK cover looks like a historical inspired fantasy and the US cover looks like a modern contemporary with cute coffee dates, wild
Geoff
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm clearly not the target audience for this novel, but one of the reasons I wanted to read it is to give myself a booster shot in remembering what it was like to be a teenager, simultaneously struggling with expectations and self-definition and love and friends and figuring out my moral truth. It's something that I don't want to forget as my kids get older and I approach the potentially turbulent adolescent years form the other side.

That said, I can tell that I'm coming at it from the other sid
aarya
Argh. I’m writing a review a week after reading and I’m docking a star from my initial 4 star rating. This is why I should always write reviews ASAP, because otherwise I over-analyze and realize that some irritating things were EXTRA irritating. I still liked the book and would recommend it for fans of Parisian settings and alternating timelines, but there were enough qualms to make me dock another star.

- Khayyam is freaking great. A+ heroine, would read a ten-book series about her. The Leila pa
Julie
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly powerful and moving read. A definite must-have for fans of A.S. Byatt's POSSESSION.
USOM
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Mad, Bad, & Dangerous to Know hooked me from the first pages. It's full of personality and Khayyam's thoughts jump off the page. I love how quickly she establishes herself in your heart - her fierce ambition, her passion, and her heart. And she only gets better and better! The characters have to be my number one reason for loving this book. Khayyam is a complex character who is both
Tsarah ✿
REVIEW

4 stars

[This book is brought to me by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review]

When Khayyam follows her historian parents to Paris for a summer vacation, her heart and mind are in the turmoil of uncertainty. She fears for her academic life going down to flames and a semi-boyfriend who seems to be inattentive to her. Her concern gradually dissipates as she accidentally stumbles upon a Parisian teenage boy who happens to be a descendant of the famed poet Alexandre Dumas. Thus, she begi
Maureen
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
When you are 17 and feel your life is over, you might not get accepted into your first choice college, and your boyfriend is ghosting you, what do you do? Leave for the summer in Paris with your professor parents and become involved in a literary and artist mystery that you try to solve with a handsome young Parisian college student. This is Khayyem’s story and Leila’s. And it is a page turner. Thanks to Samira for another wonderful novel that celebrates women.
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rachel
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!

This book really took me by surprise. I honestly didn't expect to love it as much as I did. The story is beautiful, written well, and has just enough intrigue and complications to keep me turning the pages.

Full review: https://picturethisliteraturecom.word...
Zoë ☆
This was an enjoyable read!!! The setting was dreamy (because obviously... Paris is amazing) and the investigation was really fun to read about! There were some things that happened romance-wise that I wasn’t a fan of, but other than that I feel like this is a fun summer-y (or spring even) read!! I really want to revisit Paris now 😂🙈
——
Samira Ahmed = yes please!!!
SanaBanana
Oct 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
dude, this sounds AWESOME!!
Celia T
I was really excited for the release of this book - so excited that I kind of assumed it would be a let-down when I actually got to read it. But it wasn't! It was great!
Patti Sabik
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Terrific romance and mystery while weaving history throughout. I was compelled to research where fact and fiction met when I closed the book because the threads were woven together so seamlessly and believably. Such a fun book with compelling and thought-provoking undertones made this a page-turning read. Characters that were likeable and real; with thoughts that mimicked my own as the story and relationships unfolded. The settings of modern day Paris juxtaposed with 19th century India stimulate ...more
N
This book is gorgeous. I love the complexities of personalities and relationships. The convergence of history, story, and the present. How stories change and morph through time. How we skip over some stories or manipulate them for our own gains. Such a wonderful look at complicated emotions.
♠ TABI ♠
Jun 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
this sounds glorious
Karen Barber
Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this prior to publication, and introducing me to a story that reeled me in slowly.
The title stems from a phrase used to describe the poet, Lord Byron. I wasn't sure how this phrase could possibly link to the story, but it eventually became clear.
Our narrator is Khayyam, a seventeen year old American student who is fascinated by Art History but who is smarting from her most recent essay being discredited. While on holiday in Paris with her parents, Khay
Rich in Color
Review copy: ARC via publisher

I picked up Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know maybe a month ago, and honestly? I’m still thinking about it. It’s a unique and inspiring story that manages to pull off something incredible. Also, that cover? *chef’s kiss*

In Mad, Bad & Dangerous to know, Khayyam Maquet is spending August in Paris — but it’s not exactly a carefree holiday. Her sort-of ex-boyfriend is ghosting her, and she may have lost her chance to get into her dream college. Her passion is art history, a
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I read Mad Bad and Dangerous to Know by Samira Ahmed without really knowing that it was about. I'd read a previous book by the same author and figured I'd request it on a whim and take my chances. I'm so glad that I did as Mad Bad and Dangerous to Know was really fascinating and unravelling this mystery of Leila and also navigating Khayyam's love life really kept me on the edge of my seat.

I loved that this book was set in Paris, I loved the descriptions of different foods and pastries, the swoo
Yas
Apr 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
can i just say- this is by the women that made Internment just take my money all of it.
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Khayyam, a teen girl who is American and French, Indian and Muslim, biracial and interfaith and a child of immigrant academics, travels to Paris with her parents on summer vacation and, having messed up an art history essay that could have gotten her admitted to her dream school, is determined to do further research to fix the essay, and possibly make a huge art discovery. Enter Alexandre Dumas, the offspring of that famous author who wants to team up with Khayyam for reasons of his own. As a pr ...more
Sacha
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. That review will be posted upon publication.

Updated 4/7/20:
Three stars

This book was a solidly mixed bag for me. I had a very hard time with the bulk of the novel, which focuses on Khayyam's perspective. There is a love triangle that I struggled hard (and failed) to care about. Khayyam's problems for the first two-thirds are grating. She finds herself torn between two potential romantic interests, but they are
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Clap When You Land
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Parachutes
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • The Man with No Borders
  • Stieg Larssons erfenis: Zijn jacht op de moordenaar van Olof Palme
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • White Like Her: My Family's Story of Race and Racial Passing
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History
  • Raybearer (Raybearer Series #1)
  • More Than Just a Pretty Face
  • A Song Below Water
  • The Library of Lost Things
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70 sma

Articles featuring this book

One of the many things we love about authors is that they tend to have some of the best reading recommendations. So, as we head into our f...
“There are literally centuries of women who never got to tell their stories. An invisible hand squeezes my heart for the nameless women history brushed aside.” 1 likes
“It must be a strange feeling to love a child and all the while be raising them to leave you.” 1 likes