Start by marking “A Broken Bone (Widow's Island, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Broken Bone (Widow's Island, #6)

(Widow's Island #6)

The mysterious death of a local teen leads to a hunt for a killer in the sixth Widow’s Island novella by #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling author Melinda Leigh.

On Widow’s Island, the secrets are dark…and everybody has one. So when Deputy Tessa Black responds to a call about an explosion in a quiet neighborhood, she gets more than she bargained for: the body of a teen who
Published November 3rd 2020 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about A Broken Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Broken Bone

Start your review of A Broken Bone (Widow's Island, #6)
Sara
When Tessa is called out on a disturbance job, she doesn't expect to find a dead body too. But who is the unknown victim, and why are there tripwires set up in the garden?

I think I've mentioned before that I'm not as keen on Tessa's stories compared to Cate's. I find they follow a much for formulaic plot, with added familial drama and traumatic pasts (although Cate does have this too) that I'm just not keen on. This plays out rather stereotypically for a police procedural. A body is found, some
Nina
Mar 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, whodunit, mystery
The titles of this series are novellas, and I'd love them to be much longer. It is enjoyable that in a slow but steady process you can see the main character and those closest to her develop over the course of the series. There is not really much romance in these, but if you enjoy a nice and neat whodunit this might be great for you. 5 out of 5 stars ...more
Erth
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliott as authors after each of them appeared on question and answer sessions with Romance Writers of America's Mystery Suspense Chapter Kiss Of Death. I read one book and another until I caught on their various series.
The novellas are quick but thorough books. Don't let the word "novella" fool you. It's a solid plot with twists and turns that earns my 5 stars.
Henry
Apr 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
This novellas in this series are written alternatively (sort of) by Kendra Elliott and Melinda Leigh. I have usually liked the Elliott titles much better, however, this one written by Leigh, was quite good.
Aristotle
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Tessa uncovered another dead body.

I thought island life was supposed to be a sanctuary from city life.

'In addition to being the only doctor on the island, Henry also served as coroner.'
Really? I didn't not know that.

'He dragged him in front of him using him as a shield as he pressed the muzzle of the gun into the side of his head.'
Again? These novellas sure are repetitive.

Nothing exciting. Tessa dealing with her mother who suffers from dementia was interesting.
I won book six on Goodreads giveaw
Obsidian
Dec 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was actually really good. I didn't see the ending coming and I liked how things came together. I am just starting to sigh about anything that shifts to Cate now. At this point, if she's not going to be a FBI agent, she can just go away. She doesn't do much besides show up at Tessa's with food and to sit with her mom.

"A Broken Bone" follows Tessa and Logan as the investigate when a dead body is found in an abandoned home. When Tessa realizes the body is of a teen boy who has gone missing, s
Carvanz
Audiobook: Narrator - Christine Williams

Either I’ve gotten used to this narrator, or she’s adjusted the inflection she gives to the voice of some of the characters. I was very pleased with this narration as I did not hear the cadence in her voice rise up and stay that way when the situation did not warrant it. Instead, I was completely caught up in the story and while it certainly wasn’t a performance that wow’d me, it didn’t make me want to stop listening. Win!

Another great little mystery that
☕️Kimberly  (Caffeinated Reviewer)
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
t’s another beautiful day on the island until Deputy Tessa Black responds to a call about an explosion in A Broken Bone by Melinda Leigh. This is the sixth novel in the romantic suspense novella series Widow’s Island.

Tessa finds a dead body in an abandoned home. It turns out to be the body of a missing teen. Tessa’s boyfriend Park Ranger Logan Wilde aids her as they investigate.

What an interesting case. The young teen was suspected of running away from his foster family. When witnesses place him
Carolyn
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leigh-melinda
Terrific series made up entirely of novellas from Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot writing every other book. I love both authors; however, not so certain I like the format of novellas, nor the long time in between each book. But, I will read anything written by these authors.
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
#1 Close to the Bone: ★★★★☆ | 4 stars
#2 A Bone to Pick: ★★★★☆ | 4 stars
#3 Whisper of Bones: ★★★☆☆ | 3 stars
#4 Bred in the Bone: ★★★☆☆ | 3 stars
#5 Below the Bones: ★★★☆☆ | 3 stars

A Broken Bone captured my attention right from the very beginning. I really enjoyed how the mystery was set up and developed this time around--there was a lot of tension surrounding the investigation and what happened and the resolution caught me totally off guard! Big warning for child abuse, though.

It does seem like L
Melike
Dec 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these novellas. Even though they are short, they are packed with lots of action and great writing.
Sonia Cristina
Mar 08, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2022
Nice. I thought the ending, when they caught the killer, was too much, it had too much of a fiction TV police show but it was a good plot and I liked the characters. The last pages, wow, those were so sweet💕.

♡♡♡

"...you can't just share half of your life. It's all or nothing."
Melanie
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Broken Bone was another excellent installment in the Widow's Island series.

When Deputy Tessa Black arrives on the scene of a possible explosion, she's not sure what she'll be walking into. Finding the body of a teenager who went missing two weeks ago was the last thing she expected. With the help of her partner Park Ranger Logan Wilde, Tessa tries to trace the teen's last movements to uncover who could possibly have wanted to hurt him. Tessa and Logan will have to work fast before the killer h
Olivia's Bookish World
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is not a stand alone book. I highly recommend reading the previous 5 before reading this one. In the 6th book of the Widow’s Island series we switch back to Tessa and Logan’s story. We have the usual murder to solve and I was surprised by the resolution of that problem. I didn’t figure out who the murderer was before it was revealed in the book. I really liked how Tessa and Logan’s relationship is played out and portrayed, although I was a little confused that he was consistently her b ...more
2.5 stars.

I just really like Melinda Leigh’s heroines and heroes. This was another solid novella set in this crazy island. Lol.
Cheryl
Did not see that coming! Still going wow! Love this series, love this author and love that I am entertained and thought provoked. Tessa and Logan are my favorite on Widows Island and I have a sneaking suspicion down the road Suzanne is going to move me to tears, but that in the future, some day, maybe. .A Broken Bone is a mystery that deftly lays a light hand on dementia and foster care. A light romance as Logan and Tessa navigate their life together while trying to solve the disappearance of Ga ...more
Sophia
Just another day at the office? Not on the atmospheric Widow's Island. A series of well-developed, novella-length, thrilling romantic suspenses. Set in a remote location where natural beauty, folklore, and quirky locals are the backdrop, these tales deliver on riveting plot, complex characters, and engaging relationships. Authors and narrator always bring the listener along for a fabulous story every time.

A Broken Bone is the sixth of the Widow's Island series and there is a build on what came b
Darcy
These ones are short, but there is a lot going on in them. Tessa's life is so busy between her job and caring for her sister and mother. Sadly Tessa was faced with her mother's problems getting worse and while they were able to curb them this time, it's just a matter of time before that won't be the case. I'm glad that going forward Tessa will have help and someone to lean on with Logan, despite how he almost botched things at the end.

The crime that Tessa and Logan were working on was odd. From
Cindy
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Deputy Tessa Black and her partner Park Ranger Logan Wilde respond to a call that ends up revealing the murder of a teen. Lots of red herrings in the investigation of his murder that has you as a the reader wondering who actually committed the crime.

As I said in my review of Book 5, even though this was a short story the murder investigation was contained to this book, no crossing over from Kendra's. At this stage of the series I really enjoyed that. I think this may be the last book of the ser
Sandra R
Dec 13, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Well written murder/crime mystery. This novella can be read as a stand alone, as the main story is contained within the book. For me though it was way to short, although it didn't feel rushed. I'm comparing this book to the author's full length novels and it's certainly not as satisfying a read. If you're looking for romance, then there none until the last page, then it's so brief, blink and you miss it. LOL. ...more
Pennie Morgan
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the sixth installment in this series and they all sorta intertwine just by characters alone. This one involves foster siblings (not related) and parents. One of the boys was reported missing and when he is found murdered the parents come under suspicion. Everyone thought the parents were the best foster parents until suddenly the tables turn and we discover it was one of the boys. A squatter took his picture and when he was caught up to all the stories fall apart.
Jenny
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Broken Bone

Totally worth the wait!! I am so in love with this series...I almost waited a few months to read this one because I already know I'm not going to get another fix until October of 2021 that lasted all of 3 days...

Completely safe and free of abuse. I love that these stories have just a touch of romance but that it's not the focus
Anne Szlachcic
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have loved this series - with the Author alternating books with Kendra Elliot BUT it now seems to be fizzling out .
The book was far too short , the main characters showed little development/advancement in their storylines - I was left feeling disappointed
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
It’s hard to truly appreciate a short mystery as there aren’t enough words for the author to play with potential killers. As someone who likes to guess, it’s disappointing when I don’t. Still a solid installment. The narration was excellent.
Heather Martin
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Broken Bone

Another great novella in the series. These authors do a great job of packing a lot in a novella. I love these characters!
Nicole Lara
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: need
This one was a bit ridiculous.
Susan
Short mystery... number six
Gwen S.
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tessa and Logan's HEA?? 5***** Spoiler Alert!

With reports of an explosion and screaming, Tessa and Logan race to an abandoned house only to find Bruce's visiting mom, Patsy, through the collapsed floor in the basement, and of course a decomposing DB(dead body). As they search for the creator of the trip wires, Carl H., and the abused now deceased Gavin's murderer, the Knitting Club of WI help Tessa with her Mom as her work hours are Lenten during the first 48 hrs. By reading the other foster kid
Davia
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great series!

Love widow's Island! Tessa is awesome and Logan is the perfect one for her. This murder was really good and twisted. Bravo Melinda!
Barbara Williams
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Extreme!y simple

A very short and extremely simple story. Not much intrigue or mystery to this one. To be perfectly honest if you don't read the previous 5 books in this series you would be completely lost. I am a fan of the author but truth be told Widow's Island has lost its charm.

• Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
  • When I Was You
  • The Girls in the Snow (Nikki Hunt, #1)
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Death and Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #1)
  • Thief River Falls
  • Me
  • Sloppy Seconds (Mike Anderson #2)
  • Party Girl (The Girls, #1)
  • Sweet Girl (The Girls, #2)
  • Murder On The Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #1)
  • The Storyteller
  • The Broken Chase (Chase Fulton #2)
  • In Five Years
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins, #1)
  • Wild Captive (Tyson Wild Thriller #6)
See top shelves…
#1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda’s debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an induct ...more

Widow's Island (10 books)
  • Close to the Bone (Widow's Island, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island, #2)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island, #3)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island, #4)
  • Below the Bones (Widow's Island, #5)
  • Buried Bones (Widow's Island, #7)
  • The Lost Bones (Widow's Island, #8)
  • Bone Deep (Widow's Island, #9)
  • The Wrong Bones (Widow's Island, #10)