Start by marking “A Broken Bone (Widow's Island #6)” as Want to Read:
A Broken Bone (Widow's Island #6)

(Widow's Island #6)

The mysterious death of a local teen leads to a hunt for a killer in the sixth Widow’s Island novella by #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling author Melinda Leigh.

On Widow’s Island, the secrets are dark…and everybody has one. So when Deputy Tessa Black responds to a call about an explosion in a quiet neighborhood, she gets more than she bargained for: the body of a teen who
Published November 3rd 2020 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about A Broken Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Broken Bone

Start your review of A Broken Bone (Widow's Island #6)
Aristotle
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Tessa uncovered another dead body.

I thought island life was supposed to be a sanctuary from city life.

'In addition to being the only doctor on the island, Henry also served as coroner.'
Really? I didn't not know that.

'He dragged him in front of him using him as a shield as he pressed the muzzle of the gun into the side of his head.'
Again? These novellas sure are repetitive.

Nothing exciting. Tessa dealing with her mother who suffers from dementia was interesting.
I won book six on Goodreads giveaw
Carolyn
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leigh-melinda
Terrific series made up entirely of novellas from Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot writing every other book. I love both authors; however, not so certain I like the format of novellas, nor the long time in between each book. But, I will read anything written by these authors.
Olivia
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is not a stand alone book. I highly recommend reading the previous 5 before reading this one. In the 6th book of the Widow’s Island series we switch back to Tessa and Logan’s story. We have the usual murder to solve and I was surprised by the resolution of that problem. I didn’t figure out who the murderer was before it was revealed in the book. I really liked how Tessa and Logan’s relationship is played out and portrayed, although I was a little confused that he was consistently her b ...more
2.5 stars.

I just really like Melinda Leigh’s heroines and heroes. This was another solid novella set in this crazy island. Lol.
Cheryl
Did not see that coming! Still going wow! Love this series, love this author and love that I am entertained and thought provoked. Tessa and Logan are my favorite on Widows Island and I have a sneaking suspicion down the road Suzanne is going to move me to tears, but that in the future, some day, maybe. .A Broken Bone is a mystery that deftly lays a light hand on dementia and foster care. A light romance as Logan and Tessa navigate their life together while trying to solve the disappearance of Ga ...more
Sophia
Just another day at the office? Not on the atmospheric Widow's Island. A series of well-developed, novella-length, thrilling romantic suspenses. Set in a remote location where natural beauty, folklore, and quirky locals are the backdrop, these tales deliver on riveting plot, complex characters, and engaging relationships. Authors and narrator always bring the listener along for a fabulous story every time.

A Broken Bone is the sixth of the Widow's Island series and there is a build on what came b
Cindy
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Deputy Tessa Black and her partner Park Ranger Logan Wilde respond to a call that ends up revealing the murder of a teen. Lots of red herrings in the investigation of his murder that has you as a the reader wondering who actually committed the crime.

As I said in my review of Book 5, even though this was a short story the murder investigation was contained to this book, no crossing over from Kendra's. At this stage of the series I really enjoyed that. I think this may be the last book of the ser
Jenny
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Broken Bone

Totally worth the wait!! I am so in love with this series...I almost waited a few months to read this one because I already know I'm not going to get another fix until October of 2021 that lasted all of 3 days...

Completely safe and free of abuse. I love that these stories have just a touch of romance but that it's not the focus
Anne Szlachcic
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have loved this series - with the Author alternating books with Kendra Elliot BUT it now seems to be fizzling out .
The book was far too short , the main characters showed little development/advancement in their storylines - I was left feeling disappointed
Heather Martin
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Broken Bone

Another great novella in the series. These authors do a great job of packing a lot in a novella. I love these characters!
Nicole Lara
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: need
This one was a bit ridiculous.
Gwen S.
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tessa and Logan's HEA?? 5***** Spoiler Alert!

With reports of an explosion and screaming, Tessa and Logan race to an abandoned house only to find Bruce's visiting mom, Patsy, through the collapsed floor in the basement, and of course a decomposing DB(dead body). As they search for the creator of the trip wires, Carl H., and the abused now deceased Gavin's murderer, the Knitting Club of WI help Tessa with her Mom as her work hours are Lenten during the first 48 hrs. By reading the other foster kid
Barbara Williams
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Extreme!y simple

A very short and extremely simple story. Not much intrigue or mystery to this one. To be perfectly honest if you don't read the previous 5 books in this series you would be completely lost. I am a fan of the author but truth be told Widow's Island has lost its charm.
Karen Mack
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Sticks and stones may break your bones but bullets get the job done.

A teenager's body is found in an abandoned house with evidence of squatters activity. With vague clues to follow and develop Tessa and Logan set their sights on finding a killer.
H Q
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Meh. Super obvious. Definitely not as good as their other series.
Jak60
May 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
So, this would be book n.30 in 10 years by Mrs Melinda Leigh, serial writer.

If I can do my math, this would mean a book every 4 months, including: 1) ideation 2) writing 3) editing 4) publishing. Back to back, day in day out...finish one book one night, start the next one the morning after. What a life...

I read Mrs Melinda Leigh used to be a banker; clearly she had a head-starter on how to be a money making machine in her new job too.

It took Mr Leo Tolstoy, sloth writer, six years to write just
Lesli
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. Still love you KE. I’m sure you will recover from me not liking this one! 😜
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I read the first 4 books in this Widow's Island series through Kindle Unlimited.  They are written alternately by Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh. I enjoy both these authors in their mystery genre work.  This series is all short novellas so I have to be more careful not to spoil too much.  I really enjoy these for qui
Mindo'ermatter
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another Thriller With Lots of Tension! Hold On!

Best in the series so far! Melinda Leigh creates a fast paced storyline you won't want to put down. This tight murder novella is one you'll want to read in one setting, so plan for it. Definitely 4.5 Stars!

This well-written crime procedural on Widow's Island starts fast and ends before you know it, as Deputy Teresa Black works nearly around the clock to find the cold-blooded murderer of a recent homicide and identify the unknown victim. Lots of surp
Kelly
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tessa and Logan are up this time around when a otherwise ordinary call turns up a dead body in the basement of an abandoned house. While Widow's Island tends to churn up more than its fair share of dead things, this one is a wee bit fresher than most. Which...eww.

Tessa investigates and Logan backs her up beautifully. In more ways than one, really, since he's also there for her when it comes to middle of the night scares with her sick mother. Which basically means Tessa has A LOT on her plate bet
Sara ✨ Next Book Review Blog ✨
***** AUDIOBOOK REVIEW *****

This was a quick listen from Melinda Leigh. A Broken Bone is a mystery that brings light to dementia and the foster care system. It isn’t always easy to hear about these types of things and I felt myself getting chocked up a bit. I really enjoyed the light romance with Logan and Tessa as they try to figure out what happened with Gavin. A Bone Broken might be quick but the story itself is fast paced and really keeps you invested.

I really enjoyed the narrator, by Christ
Rabid Reader
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the mystery, relationships and romance in this thrilling novella. Deputy Tessa Black and Ranger Logan Wilde respond to a call about an explosion but end up discovering the body of a missing teen. This story is a great murder investigation, it has lots of suspense, intrigue, red herrings and action. I loved how the author melds real life difficulties into the story. Your heart hurts at struggles happening in Tessa’s home life, but the heartache is balanced nicely by her growing relationship ...more
M
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Short, quick-read novella (or a long short story) with many characters. Not a stand-alone.

Very good ninety-page story with a solid murder plot, interesting subplots, and several very red herrings. A domestic subplot features (another) female dementia patient—who seem to be the problem du jour, similar to Asperger syndrome during the Aughts. There are a slew of characters from earlier books, so I had to rummage through my memory to connect characters with an earlier case. I like too many authors.
Cheryl
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really love this series. The main characters Logan Wilde and Tessa Black are interesting and flawed. Each has a strong commitment to their community. Logan is dealing with his PTSD and doing well. Tessa is caring for her teenage sister, Patience, and her mom who has dementia. She leads a very complicated life and feels she is responsible for the whole island. When Tessa is called to a neighborhood where and explosion my have occurred, she finds a dead body. It is a missing foster child reporte ...more
Meghan
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful and sweet

An interesting blend of the suspense through the case and sweet through the romance. This is a fantastic series where the characters and the community, as well as the landscape, have come to life through the different books and stories. Tessa and Logan are great individually and as a couple. Their strengths and humor, as well as tougher areas, really showed in this story.

I do recommend reading this series in order as each story built off the next in terms of individual and
Kristin
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I promised a proper review after I finished a four-day read-a-thon, but that, of course, means that I've been doing a lot of reading since I finished this one.

At this point, we're at the sixth book of the series, and for the most part, if you're on the journey with this series, you know what you're going to get. And I really like it. I really wonder if the biggest complaint I have is that these are novellas, and that they are over too soon and always leave me wanting more. Also, at this point, I
Kathy Crouch
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Book

I discovered Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliott as authors after each of them appeared on question and answer sessions with Romance Writers of America's Mystery Suspense Chapter Kiss Of Death. I read one book and another until I caught on their various series.
The novellas are quick but thorough books. Don't let the word "novella" fool you. It's a solid plot with twists and turns that earns my 5 stars.
Book Him Danno
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Melinda Leigh is a talented author with a gift of story telling in this short novella series. Each story builds on the next so if you missed one in the series you will be completely lost.

The story is quick pace and a whirlwind story that readers will be able to enjoy in a afternoon.

The characters will come to life and readers will fall in love with each one. Even the island plays a character in the books.

Thank you to Netgalley for the advance copy of Melinda Leigh A Broken Bone.
ci
Book #6 of this series and I really loved it! While I'm not a fan of novella's I've really enjoyed this series so far.

There's plenty of action, murder, twists / turns, great characters, quick closure, and I love revisiting with all the characters from all the previous books.

I'm looking forward to the next books this is series.

#Widow'sIsland #NetGalley #Montlake #Tessa #Logan #LovedIt
Diane Saul
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Deputy Tessa Black and Ranger Logan Wilde respond to a call about a dead teen. The investigation takes them down an unexpected path. This is a novella so it is a fast read. It has a good plot and I like the characters. It was good to revisit characters from previous books in the series, but this could be read as a stand alone. Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • Burn You Twice
  • Out of Her Mind (Sawyer Brooks, #2)
  • The Girl and the Field of Bones (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery #10)
  • When I Was You
  • The Girls in the Snow (Nikki Hunt, #1)
  • Thief River Falls
  • Me
  • Sloppy Seconds (Mike Anderson #2)
  • Party Girl (The Girls, #1)
  • Sweet Girl (The Girls, #2)
  • Murder On The Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #1)
  • Cold as Ice (Lucy Kincaid #17)
  • The Storyteller
  • The Broken Chase (Chase Fulton #2)
  • In Five Years
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins, #1)
  • Wild Captive (Tyson Wild Thriller #6)
#1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda’s debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an induct ...more

Widow's Island (8 books)
  • Close to the Bone (Widow's Island #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Below the Bones (Widow's Island #5)
  • Buried Bones (Widow's Island #7)
  • The Lost Bones (Widow's Island #8)