Start by marking “The Invisible Husband of Frick Island” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Husband of Frick Island

The Invisible Husband of Frick Island

Sometimes all you need is one person to really see you.

Piper Parrish's life on Frick Island—a tiny, remote town smack in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay—is nearly perfect. Well, aside from one pesky detail: Her darling husband, Tom, is dead. When Tom's crab boat capsized and his body wasn't recovered, Piper, rocked to the core, did a most peculiar thing: carried on as if
Published May 25th 2021 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Husband of Frick Island, please sign up.
Colleen Oakley Yes! It is. My grandparents lived in Salisbury, MD and took me to visit Smith when I was a teenager. I was enamored with the island and the way of lif…moreYes! It is. My grandparents lived in Salisbury, MD and took me to visit Smith when I was a teenager. I was enamored with the island and the way of life there, and returned as an adult for book research when I decided I wanted to set this story on an island loosely based on the real-life Smith.(less)
Naomi Campbell They often mail out what they call Advanced Readers Copies, or ARCs. I have won a lot of ARCs from Goodreads Giveaways. All you have to do is get on G…moreThey often mail out what they call Advanced Readers Copies, or ARCs. I have won a lot of ARCs from Goodreads Giveaways. All you have to do is get on Goodreads and go to Browse, Giveaways, and enter for as many giveaways as you want. It's such a treat! I enter a lot and really do win a LOT!(less)

Start your review of The Invisible Husband of Frick Island
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

The driving force in this book is Piper Parrish and her delusion that her husband is still alive.
It’s a book that made me feel hopeful, because there are good people out there like the ones in this novel !!

Anders is a journalist currently working at a small town newspaper, The Daily Telegraph,usually writing fluff pieces and covering boring events. He has dreams, big ones. He wants to be a famous podcaster, someone who everyone will know, someone who will eventually be invite
Taylor Reid
If you’ve read any of Colleen’s books before, you already know she writes knockouts and you should just trust her and go on the ride. But her new one is so inventive and interesting that if you haven’t read her before, now is the perfect time to start. A woman living on a small island loses her husband in a boating accident but can’t bear to face reality. She keeps on going as if he’s still alive. And the townspeople go with it. Until a reporter shows up and tries to shine a light on the whole t ...more
Kaceey
Well if you are looking for a heartwarming read that will wrap itself around your heart… look no further. You have found it right here with this gem of a read.

Piper Parrish grew up in a quaint community off Chesapeake Bay known as Frick island. No internet, no alcohol. A place where everyone knows each other.

Piper has lost her husband, to a boating accident, at a very young age. He was her life. All she knew. She is trying to put one foot in front of the other but is failing. Until one morning
Jayme
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember being a child, and snuggling under the covers ready for a bedtime story?

Well, if you are looking for a book to recapture that kind of magic, this one could be for you!

Once upon a time, in a tiny town, on a remote Island in the Chesapeake Bay, lived a young woman named Piper Parrish. She married her childhood sweetheart, and they truly seemed to share that RARE, once in a lifetime kind of LOVE, until his crab boat capsized, his body never recovered.

Piper REFUSED to accept that he was
Regina
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book club people, take note! This is a good one.

Coleen Oakley’s latest novel will light up your senses and transport you from your reading nook to a fictional tiny patch of land off the Chesapeake Bay (inspired by the real Smith Island). Though it has less than 100 residents, “Frick Island” is chock-full of vibrant, heart-warming characters prone to gossip but also loyalty and love.

A young widow, Piper “Pipes” Parrish, lost her husband to a crab boating accident, but she goes about life as if h
Sheyla ✎
Bittersweet story with a good message!

Anders is a reporter but he wants to become a famous podcaster like the one who made Serial. He goes to Frick Island on an assignment. It’s the yearly Cake Walk. After doing his interviews, he stops by the One-Eyed-Crab to get a bite to eat when a beautiful young woman enters the place. After arming himself with courage, he walks toward her and asks her if he can sit with her. The woman's name is Piper and she tells him absolutely not. She is married.

After
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Get ready to read a great mash up of Groundhog Day ( don’t worry, the characters don’t live the same day over and over again : only small town theme and a reporter’s being trapped in the island situation are similar) meets P.S. I love you.

Imagine a town froze in the time and you felt like Marty McFly who accidentally goes back in time and finds himself at prom of his parents: it was truly go back to your past, change seems like a forbidden word for this town literature.

Same stores, same f
Susanne  Strong
Review also published on blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

Sweet, Enchanting, and utterly Mesmerizing.

Oh, how I loved “The Invisible Husband of Frick Island!” What a sweet, captivating novel about extremely lovable unforgettable characters you can’t help but root for.

So unprepared was I, for how the characters of Piper Parrish and Anders Caldwell would steal my heart!

Piper Parrish lives on Frick Island, a tiny little island off of Chesapeake Bay. Frick Island is extraordinary, a ch
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Review to come! Loved it!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
I read a lot of romance books, but very few receive all 5 Stars. This was the sweetest little book. It deserves a bump for release day.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I don’t know about all of you, but when the All State insurance commercial popped up on my television around year 487 of quarantine I wanted to pack my bags and move there immediately . . . .

Just putting that little tidbit out there right away because when the leading male was preparing to board the ferry to take him to Frick Island and was t
Theresa Alan
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is listed as a romance, but I think it would be better described as contemporary fiction with romantic elements (a lot more words, but more accurate). A chapter or two in, and I was just hooked!

Piper Parrish lives on an island in the Chesapeake Bay that has a population of fewer than 100 people, but she likes her life. Except for the morning when her husband’s boat didn’t come back. However, Piper continues talking to her dead husband. The townspeople, not sure what to do, decide they’ll pl
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Ahhh, what a wonderful book! Filled with hope, love, friendship and--dare I say?--insanity.
This novel filled me with such wonderful feelings and a few tears. It's everything we always hope humanity will be.

It's the story of Piper, a resident of tiny Frick Island (population 93), whose husband Tom's boat capsizes and his body is not found, but he's presumed dead. Until one day she wakes up and there he is lying in bed next to her! No one else can see him, but they all pretend they do bec
Colleen Oakley
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book was such a joy to write, and it's my sincerest hope that it's a joy for you to read—because can't we all use a little more joy in our lives right now? Can't wait to hear what you think! ...more
Mary Andrews
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's fresh, it's funny, it's heartwarming!!! Throw it in your beach bag and get your toes in the sand! ...more
Lori
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky & charming!

Frick Island was a charming setting and one that I think anybody from a small town will relate to. A place where everybody knows everybody’s business and where their loyalty toward each other and to their island runs deep. With characters that were very relatable and a plot that moved at an engaging pace, I think Frick Island will be a place many will enjoy spending time. 4 stars.
ABookwormWithWine
Okay Colleen Oakley, where have you been all my life?! The Invisible Husband of Frick Island is the first book I have read by Oakley, but I can tell you it made me immediately want to read every single one of her other novels ASAP. I binge-read this book in one afternoon because once I started I could not put it down. The premise is pretty simple and surrounds a woman named Piper who is walking around talking to her missing husband like he is right there. Enter a young, struggling journalist nam ...more
Val
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

This is the kind of book that you need to take your time with. To imagine what this beautiful island looks like, to envision the residents of Frick Island and to savor the beautiful words that Colleen Oakley shares with the reader.

The story starts begins by describing and introducing the quaint island town and the main characters, Piper, Tom and Anders. Frick Island is proud of its heritage and the fact that there is no cell service, no alcohol and no police station.

Piper, a young widow,
Diana | Book of Secrets
This book was so charming and uplifting. Anders is a journalist working for a small newspaper when he gets assigned to cover the annual cake walk on remote Frick Island. It's a place without internet and without cell phones, but what it does have is a curious story about a young widow named Piper who acts as though her husband Tom is still alive, and an entire town that goes along with it.

I did question the town's decision to pretend that Tom was really there (helpful or harmful?), but I decide
Jessica Strawser
I'm a huge Colleen Oakley fan: She has the BEST premises behind her books—and the instant I heard about this one, I knew it would be right up my alley too. The very idea of a young widow imagining her dead husband beside her, and all her friends and neighbors going along with it, is so simultaneously heartbreaking and heartwarming: Throw in an isolated island that time seems to have forgotten, and an awkward, struggling (and quickly smitten) young journalist, and you have a truly irresistible st ...more
Susan Z
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If someone asked me to "what would be the perfect book to write for Susan" the answer would be The Invisible Husband of Frick Island. I loved this so much 💞

I actually stopped at the last chapter, crying because it was almost over and I never wanted it to end.

A quirky and endearing story about loss, love and connection. This one is landing solidly on my all time favorites list. It's like a warm hug for my soul.
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
This was a fun and unique read with just enough serious subject matter to keep me engaged and connected to the characters.

Piper and Tom have been in love for what feels like all their lives, so when Tom dies unexpectedly out at sea during a storm, Piper can't seem to come to terms with it. In fact, Piper still sees Tom and behaves as if he only left for a short period of time and is back with her. What's more odd, is the entire island where she lives is going along with it.

When Anders is sent to
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
May 24, 2020 marked it as not-released-tbr
well, You Were There Too was the first book to make me ugly cry in a while so I am ready to do it again

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Robyn
The Invisible Husband of Frick Island by Colleen Oakley WHAT THE FRICK?

I am just so happy that I read this totally delightful book! I just smiled and smiled while I was reading it and I don't know exactly why, except to say it was a delightful story about a delightful place where delightful people live. Frick Island is a tiny island, 12 miles from the mainland in the Chesapeake Bay that you can only get to by ferry. But it is a dying place because of changing times, occupations, and natural resources and the aging population who's young, what th
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Anders is a local journalist sent to Frick Island to cover a cake contest and gets pulled into two big stories - the future demise of the island thanks to climate change, and the woman who believes her husband is still alive.

He decides to pull these stories into his podcast and keeps returning to the island to try to get to the truth.

The island is completely based on Smith Island in Chesapeake Bay, down to the B&B owner who teaches people how to make the legendary Smith Island cake. And now I'm
Norma
Delightful, heartwarming, and all the feels!

The Invisible Husband of Frick Island was such a sweet, fun and quirky story that I just devoured. I absolutely adored this book and these characters!

Sometimes all you need is one good book to remind you why you read! This was that one for me! 💕🤎💕

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Berkley Publishing and Colleen Oakley for the opportunity to read this fabulous book. It was an absolute pleasure!
eyes.2c
Unexpected gem!

I must admit that first up I wasn’t sure if I’d actually continue with this. What a mistake that would have been! The road not travelled would have missed out on a delightful, quirky tale with serious undertones.
Anders Caldwell, a journalist who dreams of being Clark Kent (as in super newsman) gets to cover the social activities of the community of Frick Island, in Chesapeake Bay. In that role he goes to the island for their annual Frick Island Cake Walk festival. The island is a
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
20515174

This book was very charming and Colleen Oakley delivers a heartfelt plot that reminds you what it means to be part of a community. I felt Piper's pain and how lost she felt...she did what she needed to do to get through a tough time and I applaud her for that. I also loved how the town came together for her...Then she meets Anders and he becomes enamoured with her. He wants to do a story on Piper, but he also wants to help her and she in turns wants to help him to write an article
Misha (Heartsfullofreads)
This book was so unexpected. I enjoy when a book surprises me.

Anders is a struggling journalist. His drive to find a great story continuously leads him back to Frick Island. Frick Island was a very interesting place. Each of the characters that lived there helped to bring life to the Island.

I've had the pleasure of reading books with very fleshed out side characters. Every single side character in this book served a purpose.

I don't want to say too much because I think you should go into this on
Richard Derus
Real Rating: 2.5* of five, rounded down because this author's done so much better

I received a DRC of this title from the publisher. I made it 25% of the way through and just didn't care to be tediously muttered at one more minute. Flat, uninvolving prose, which is very, very much not what I expected.

I absolutely love the idea for this book, since I've spent so much of my own life grieving, and was really bitterly disappointed in the execution of the story.
Melissa
Mar 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first fell in love with Colleen Oakley's writing when I read Close Enough to Touch: A Novel a few years ago. So I was eager to read her latest and I'm so glad I got an early peek!

The Invisible Husband of Frick Island is such a great story. It's so creative and unique. Colleen really captured the small town feel and I enjoyed reading her author notes about what inspired Frick Island. The characters were so interesting and quirky. I especially loved Piper and how she processed her grief through

• The Soulmate Equation
  • That Summer
  • The Car Share
  • The Drowning Kind
See top shelves…
Colleen Oakley is the USA Today bestselling author of You Were There Too and other unconventional love stories. Her books have been named best books by People Magazine, Us Weekly, Library Journal, and Real Simple, and long-listed for the Pat Conroy Southern Book Prize. Her fourth novel THE INVISIBLE HUSBAND OF FRICK ISLAND will be published by Berkley/Penguin in May 2021.