Start by marking “Goldilocks” as Want to Read:

Goldilocks

The Earth is in environmental collapse. The future of humanity hangs in the balance. But a team of women are preparing to save it. Even if they’ll need to steal a spaceship to do it.

Despite increasing restrictions on the freedoms of women on Earth, Valerie Black is spearheading the first all-female mission to a planet in the Goldilocks Zone, where conditions are just right
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Orbit (first published April 30th 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 05, 2020
    A gripping science fiction thriller where five women task themselves with ensuring the survival of the human race; perfect for readers of The Martian, ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 473 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 14 - Feb 21, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Goldilocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldilocks

Start your review of Goldilocks
    Laura Lam
    Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    I always do little picture reviews of my books, so why break the trend?

Goldilocks is the Martian by way of Handmaid's Tale.

It stars Naomi Lovelace, the ship's botanist. I imagine her as Caroline Ford.

The ship's captain is Naomi Black, CEO of Hawthorne, which was co-founded with Naomi's mother, Catherine. After Catherine died, Valerie took Naomi in. I imagine her as Jodie Foster. Think Elon Musk meets Sigourney Weaver.

She and three other women (Irene Hart, Oksana Lebedeva & Jerrie Hixon)
    Ash
    Feb 03, 2020 marked it as own-kindle  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    Thank you to NetGalley and Orbit Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    The Martian meets The Handmaid’s Tale? Hell yes I want to read it!
    Marieke
    I'm a pretty simple person. I see Laura Lam, I add it to my TBR.
    Kaora
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is my first time reading something by this author, but once I saw the cover and read the blurb I was hooked.

This book was impressive, albeit somewhat scary of how plausible it could be years in the future. It took current events, such as the attempts to overturn Roe vs Wade and ran with it, creating a very believable scenario, which left me contemplating the issues it raises long after I turned the last page. I enjoy a book that really makes you think, and on that this delivered.

I flew
    Rhys Thomas
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Naomi Lovelace is on board the Atalanta, a ship carrying a group of female astronauts to the newly discovered habitable planet, Cavendish. Earth is dying and humanity needs to find a new home. The only problem is the astronauts aren't sanctioned to be on this mission, and their ship is stolen.

This is a more beautiful than usual piece of science fiction. The tech and ideas are all there but the cast of characters take the book to a different level.

The central characters of Naomi Lovelace and the
    Karen Rós
    I received this as an ARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The book comes out in April.

I've been really excited about this book since I heard about it because I liked the concept so much - the Martian by way of handmaid's tale. This was that, but not quite - or at least the elements I was expecting from that crossover weren't the ones I got. The crew scenes from the Martian yes, patriarchal politics yes. Lots of science, and afaik pretty accurate too. (I like space stuff. I try
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    An all-female team of astronauts are crewing the first mission to the planet Cavendish, having defied NASA's attempts to replace them with a team of men by hijacking the ship. Behind them, Earth is in environmental and social collapse, with women's rights gradually being further and further restricted. Cavendish offers the hope of founding a new society on a healthy planet. But something seems to be going wrong on the ship, and our protagonist and lead botanist, Naomi, determines to find out ...more
    georgina Prince
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Climate change, the erosion of women's rights, women's reproductive rights especially, global pandemics, climate change denial and far right politics, this book feels politically poignant and thought provoking in the present day. All pulled together in the back drop of a sci-fi novel, I haven't enjoyed a new book or new (to me) author in a long time.

I was really quickly drawn into the book after the first few pages, it wasn't a slow burn, the world described for me was intriguing from the start
    mango_vodka
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I am writing this review in exchange for an advanced copy from NetGalley. I finished this book today and thought it was phenomenal. Goldilocks is about five women who commit grand theft spaceship as a last resort to escape an Earth suffering from severe climate change and social issues pushing women out of the workplace. Their goal is Cavendish, a 'Goldilocks' planet in which they can begin anew and establish a better society. The main character is Naomi, a biologist who has lived in the shadow ...more
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a fantastic scifi story! I am always a little bit skeptical, going into a book like this. The first all female space mission, in a future where Roe vs Wade has been overturned, there is a child tax starting with your second child, and women are expected to stay home with the kids. Of course they had to fight to even be considered for employment at NASA, much less be chosen for a mission.

But Laura Lam completely nailed it. Naomi was a great main character and the others were well fleshed
    Katie
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to netgalley for this advanced copy to review.

The structure of the book is that each chapter is told in a different time period. I enjoyed much more the chapters that were set after the shuttles launch.

An all women team on a shuttle are trying to heal combat climate change. Men’s Rights activists are against them. Plus things keep going wrong but is it for nefarious reasons?

If Sci-Fi is your thing give this a try.
    Ada
    WHO SUCKED ME IN
    Claire Rousseau in their PKD Award, Looking for Leia, The Watch & WTF Happened with the RWA?! - Genrewise #15 on YouTube published on 22 jan. 2020
    Michelle
    Review to come.
    Megan Dormoy
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    "Handmaid's Tale set in space"
    Fran
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020, sciffy
    (ARC received from publisher)

Goldilocks is an excellent, character-led space epic filled with well-researched science, moral ambiguity, and -- in place of stereotypes and easy answers -- the kind of science fiction that makes me keep reading. Loved this, Lara Lam!
    Georgina
    Feb 08, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    THANK YOU TO NETGALLEY AND ORBIT BOOKS FOR GRANTING ME THIS ADVANCED COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR REVIEW

I read the synopsis of this book and immediately needed it! I requested with little hope that I would be approved but was beyond excited when that notification came through! Literally cannot wait to dive into this incredibly dramatic sounding story!
    K.W. Colyard
    Jan 18, 2020
    Erica
    Oct 09, 2019
    Em Still
    Jan 01, 2020
    Matt
    Feb 15, 2020
    Hannah (Vamp of Savannah)
    Feb 06, 2020
    Ruth Brookes
    Jan 26, 2020
    Greg Barlow
    rated it did not like it
    Nov 13, 2019
    Alison Thorne
    Jan 17, 2020
    Amanda
    Dec 21, 2019

• House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
    • The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
    • Starship Repo
    • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
    • The Chill
    • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
    • Gate Crashers
    • Lying Next to Me
    • The Eighth Sister (Charles Jenkins #1)
    • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
    • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • Upright Women Wanted
    • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
    • The Glass Hotel
    • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    • Imaginary Friend
    Please contact me via the contact page on my website as opposed to GR mail.

Laura Lam was born in the late eighties and raised near San Francisco, California, by two former Haight-Ashbury hippies.

After studying literature and creative writing at university, she relocated to Scotland to be with the partner she met online when they were teenagers and he insulted her taste in books and she insulted