Start by marking “The Winter Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Winter Sisters

The Winter Sisters

Published August 6th 2019 by QW Publishers, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Sisters, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Scott
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Winter Sisters
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
3.5 stars!

What a quirky, fun historical! Dr. Waycross is a doctor in Georgia in 1822. He’s arrived in the mountains to bring his medicine there, knowing that these are among the most superstitious people around.

The Winter Sisters are the local healers, and they already can cure the ailments of the day, including consumption and yellow fever. Some people think the sisters are witches.

When rabies comes to the mountains, Dr. Waycross and the sisters have to bring medicine and superstition together
Ron Charles
Fortunately, books are good food for thought because the time has come for me to eat my words. Back in January, Publishers Weekly and its indie authors website BookLife launched a contest to honor the best self-published novel in America. Having seen the industry prey on the naivete of many terrible self-published authors for years, I was deeply skeptical. But BookLife president Carl Pritzkat promised me that indie writers had grown savvier and more talented. “There have always been great self-p ...more
Holly  B

Review to follow for blog tour.
Nursebookie
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never knew I would enjoy a Historical Fiction read with fantasy and magical realism as much! Westover is such a creative writer that was able to transport the reader into this world - the lush Georgia landscape with its intricate and vivid details of the southern frontier and fantastical world of magic and spells.

The year is 1822 and Dr Aubrey Waycross and the Winter Sisters of Hope Hollow are pit against each other as modern medicine and local herbal remedies were tested against each other.
A N N A
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Although the premise was what brought me to this book, I felt that it could have been executed better. I really liked the Winter sisters as characters, and found them fascinating. If the book was told only from their point of view, I feel like I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

The Winter Sisters follows three sisters living on the outskirts of a frontier town in Georgia, America in 1822. They're successful healers, but all three have some varying degree of supernatural abilities when it comes
Gizem-in-Wonderland
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
(Special thanks to NetGalley and Qw Publishers for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.)

This novel is the exact embodiment of what I want in a book: the story is intriguing, concrete and well-balanced, a work of fiction based on historical facts, the characters are unique and lovable. We have love, we have action, we have fun and all in an ideal dosage that does not tire the reader out. I want to congratulate the author for balancing a great novel on a thin rope.

The Winter Siste
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
This was a humorous read. It was a little bit slow for me, I had a pretty hard time focusing. But it might be just me and my opinion. You should give it a try and see what your thoughts are on it. I gave this book 3 stars.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy on August 26, 2019, of this ARC from Netgalley, Tim Westover, and QW Publishers. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this historical novel of my own volition, and this review reflects my personal, honest opinion of this work. The Winter Sisters is an especially compelling tale. There is a little history, a little SiFi, a little medical lore, a lot of herbal, native American, and even Creole approaches to healing, one persistent medicine ...more
Stella
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three sister, exiled to the woods of a small Georgia town, are the 'healers' of a community. With some supernatural elements - as well as science of the time/day, the sisters are well known in the community. As time and circumstance changes - as well as the attitude of the community, the sisters find themselves the target of a glorified witch hunt.

The Winter Sister would be a great book....if it was only about the sisters. The addition of a new town doctor as another plot but honestly was it wa
Reading Mama
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Folklore, medicine, witches, and superstition in the Georgia mountains. Dr. Waycross knows bleeding and blistering, the best scientific medicine of 1822. He arrives in the Georgia mountains to bring his modern methods to the superstitious masses. But the local healers, the Winter sisters, claim to treat yellow fever, consumption, and the hell-roarin' trots just as well as he can. Some folks call the sisters herb women; some call them witches. Waycross calls them quacks. But when the th ...more
KarenK
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku-read
Dr. Waycross knows the best scientific medicine of 1822. He arrives in the Georgia mountains to bring his modern methods to the superstitious masses.

An okay read, some slow moving parts, although it was interesting to read some of the superstitions and local beliefs. I have to admit, Waycross was irritating and pompous and frustrating.

Kitty Marie
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Before anything else I just want to say this book has lovely writing. The Winter Sisters is a quaint historical fiction with an undercurrent of magical realism. The style and prose is literary, heavy, and very devoted to evoking a historic era (a small, remote village in the wild west of early 1900s America) with vivid atmosphere. From the title I imagined a frigid winter, but this is actually a very spring/summer-y book with descriptions of picturesque and natural environments.

The vocabulary is
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Panthers, and Witches, and Rabies – Oh My!

There might not be a wizard in this one but there’s definitely a bit of magic and a host of quirky characters.

The Winter Sisters is a FUN read. The prose is clever, the conversation is snarky, and the story takes you into a world of medicine, healing, and folklore, while introducing you to a host of peculiar personalities.

It’s 1822 in Lawrenceville, GA and there’s a rabies epidemic in the small mountain town. The pastor has summoned Dr. Waycross to come
MaryannC. Book Freak
3.5 Stars

An enjoyable and humorous read about Dr. Waycross who is lured to a small town in the Georgia Mountains in 19th century under false pretences that a rabies outbreak is plaguing the town. When he arrives rumours run rampant that there is a panther on the loose and 3 local healers known as the Winter Sisters are witches who cast spells and wreck havoc amongst the town folk. When Dr. Waycross begins to understand that the sisters heal by means of herbs and natural methods he imparts the si
Toya (the reading chemist)
As a scientist, I am always fascinated by the fine line that blurs science and magic in stories; especially historical fiction. For that reason, I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis of The Winter Sisters.

The book takes place in the small town of Lawrenceville in 1822. The Winter sisters have a reputation for being witches. Their family has inhabited Lawrenceville long before the first settlers. They tend to keep to themselves in their home in the forest outside of town, however, the towns
Amie's Book Reviews
1811 in the mountains of northern Georgia, three sisters stand upon a bare mountain plateau. These women are the Winter sisters. They are using wax to try to determine their futures.

Ten years later, the Winter sisters are no longer living in the village. The new Preacher has succeeded in turning some of the townspeople against them, successfully running them out of town.

The Winter sisters are sometimes called healers and sometimes called witches, it depends on the person who is speaking, and a
Dele Haynes
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy book about Georgia. This book takes place in Lawrenceville in 1822. A young doctor, Avery Waycross, is employed by the town because they need one to qualify to be the county seat. When Waycross arrives he finds the town is in turmoil over the "witches" who practice medicine. Waycross, who was ready to leave the backwards town found himself embroiled in the conflict. Thinking the "witches" were old crones who practiced magic. What he found was 3 young "wise" women. They sisters use ...more
Rachel
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Winter Sisters by Tim Westover is an interesting novel that is part fiction/part fantasy. It intertwines both genres to create a quick, engrossing read.

I enjoyed the characters and felt they had multiple layers which led to a nice complexity.

I enjoyed the location/setting 1800s Georgia and I also enjoyed the cast of characters.

I enjoyed the ending, and also the aftwerward that the author wrote to add some historical significance from a medical aspect. As someone in the medical field, that pa
Melissa
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While The Winter Sisters isn’t the type of book I read often, I’m glad I decided to step outside my comfort zone with this unique mix of historical fiction, fantasy and magical realism. The story of Dr. Waycross and The Winter Sisters and the medicine being practiced in the Georgian mountains in 1822 is filled with imagination and humor.

Westover’s writing is creative and intriguing. His characters are quirky and entertaining. I loved getting to know the townspeople and was fascinated by their b
Donnabear79
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read

I have just finished The Winter Sisters. I was drawn to it having been raised in north Georgia and also having had a career in the medical field. I was actually hoping for a bit more of the narrative to focus on the old Appalachian mountain customs and remedies. Instead the book seemed to spend more time with Dr. Waycross’ general musings about the Winter Sisters.
I did enjoy the descriptions of the early practices of medicine as Dr Waycross attempts to establish the “accepted “
Richard Myers
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Just like Tim Westover’s first book I began to write down town names, river names, and plant names. I live in LaGrange, Georgia and this story brings early Georgia history to the public in a wonderful way. The Sisters descriptions are fantastic and the characters are true to the time in Georgia. A wonderful book for everyone to read.
Kathleen Shepard
I wanted so bad to like this book. The idea behind "modern" medicine melding/conflicting with the ways of the frontier intrigued me. Amputation vs. moldy bread (ah ha - penicillin!) But it just got weird. ...more
Ashley
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book was a trip! First of all, I don’t know if you’re squeamish about medical things, but this book is essentially about medicine and medical practices in the mid 1800’s. And, ya’ll, it’s intense. I don’t know if you’ve heard of the podcast “Sawbones” (and I actually haven’t listened to it for awhile, although I enjoyed it when I did), this book is like that in that it talks a lot about old-timey medical treatments—bloodletting, balancing the humors, amputation, etc. Eesh. Sometimes this wa ...more
Karissa
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book. I borrowed this eBook through Kindle Unlimited to read.

Story (4/5): This story alternates perspectives between Dr. Waycross and the Winter sisters. Dr. Waycross came to this small mountain town to start his career and learn more about rabies (there is a rabid panther in the area). Meanwhile the Winter sisters have practiced midwifery in this town for a long while until a conflict with the town pastor drove them out.

I enjoyed learning about all the
Travelling Bookworm
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
"I'd mixed up a marvelous illusion for myself, thinking that, through water, miracles could be made, and others had believed, which cast the illusion wider and wider. How could I ever know?"

--------------------

What does rabies, ether, and a panther have in common?
That sounds like a great set-up for a joke, but unfortunately I do not have the punchline, as I am still trying to put together the pieces of what I have just read.
The Winter Sisters is a book with a serious ailment: a story with a grea
Susan Heim
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Winter Sisters" is a fascinating blend of historical fiction and fantasy. It's based in a real place (Lawrenceville, Georgia) and incorporates actual medical practices and misperceptions in the early 1800s. Dr. Aubrey Waycross comes across, to our "modern" sensibilities, as a quack at first, with his firm belief in blood-letting and frequent amputations as the best courses of treatment for most diseases. But when he begins to be won over by the Winter sisters' herbal and natural remedies (w ...more
Suzy Michael
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
The Winter Sisters is a unique blend of a western novel with a strong dose of fantasy.
The story, by Tim Westover, is ultimately about humanity, and the trials and errors that come with opening your mind- something characters in the early 19th century, in this plot, are not to keen on doing. It's a path that if not taken correctly, could spell disaster as we see in this original tale with 3 witchy sisters, naive and scared towns people, and a stuck up city doctor who ends up learning just about a
Karen Trostle
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
For ANYONE living in Atlanta/ North Georgia.. this is a must read!
For anyone with a love of healing, folklore, hope and 1800’s medicine.. you will LOVE this!
Great humor.. a great message!
Too bad there was no map!
Kristine D
Entertaining but flawed.

In 1822, a young doctor is summoned to a practically frontier town, under false pretenses, only to find himself competing with the Winter sisters, healing women who have been there for generations and who had recently been run out of town for being witches by the priest and an angry mob.

Addressing common issues of the time, including medicine, witchcraft, and small-town living, Mr. Westover should be praised for how well researched the book is. His use of accurate medica
Mary Eve
The Winter Sisters is an inviting read with a unique storyline. The Georgia Appalachian setting is the perfect location to find holistic healers, medicine shows with a banjo strumming salesman, and simple country folk willing to believe in magic cures. Lawrenceville, a small mountain town, is in need of a licensed doctor. Enter Aubrey Waycross. The townsfolk aren't a welcoming bunch. They're accustomed to tonics sold at rousing medicine shows. Most rely on homeopathic remedies provided by the Wi ...more

• The New Witch
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Road to Delano
  • Olive Oatman: Explore The Mysterious Story of Captivity and Tragedy from Beginning to End
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • The Enchanted Garden Cafe (South Side Stories, #1)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • The Boardinghouse (Mountain Women #5)
  • The Queen's Fortune
  • The Invisibles
  • Everything You Are
  • The Rabbit Girls
  • Forbidden Letters (Men of the North, #0)
  • Dragon Gods (Alveria Dragon Akademy's Untameables #2)
  • Cats of Connecticut: A Paranormal Romance Boxset
  • The Missing Ones (Hester Thursby Mystery #2)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • Death in Paraiso