Start by marking “Trap Door: the creepiest psychological suspense you will read this year” as Want to Read:
Trap Door: the creepiest psychological suspense you will read this year

Trap Door: the creepiest psychological suspense you will read this year

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  350 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The internationally bestselling author of Spare Room returns with an astonishing new psychological thriller.

100 years ago young women were killed in this workplace. Is history about to repeat itself?

Rachel, a young woman in serious debt, needs to find a job fast before shes made homeless. She gets a lucky break when she is offered a great position in a successful

Published February 11th 2020 by Bloodhound Books - crime, thriller and mystery (first published February 6th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Trap Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trap Door

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Trap Door: the creepiest psychological suspense you will read this year
Sue
TRAP DOOR is a creepy psychological suspense by international bestselling author of SPARE ROOM, Dreda Say Mitchell.

100 years ago, 22 young sweatshop women workers died in a basement fire at work.

When Rachel was eighteen, she lost her best friend Philip in a fire.

Rachel, a young woman in serious debt, needs to find a job fast before shes made homeless. She gets a lucky break when she is offered a great position with great pay by the owner Michael Barrington in a successful Management Consulting
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book had me gripped from the beginning. The premise of working beneath a trap door was spooky and with the legend of a fateful fire ripping through the basement, it literally sent shivers down my spine. I could not help but feel equally trapped with Rachel as her world literally and metaphorically closes in on her.

Rachel is definitely a character to sympathise with. She seems to have tried so hard to make her way in life but has yet to find her place. With little security, no money and
Natalie M
I really dont enjoy books that tell me how to feel. If it takes a paragraph to create suspense - dont tell me that it is suspenseful in the last sentence of the same paragraph.

A few too many gaps of logic in the plot and the strange relationships just didnt work for me.
Michelle
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, Bloodhound books, for a copy of Trap door by Dreda Say Mitchell as looking forward to reading this as this is the first book from the author that I have read.
Rachel is seriously in debt. She has been told to leave her bedsit which her mate Jed is the landlord. She needs to find herself a job. She could go back to her dad who owns his own building company. But the shame of it and her dad will kill her hears of the mess she is in.
She is offered a job in a Victorian building that was a
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I have heard so many good things about Dredas books, that when I was offered an advance copy of Trap Door to read, I jumped at the chance. I was immediately drawn to the plot of this story and couldnt wait to dive in and get underway. When I did, I was hooked right from the get-go and had trouble tearing myself away from it. Dreda wastes no time in kicking things off, which she does in spectacular fashion, with a chilling prologue that sets up the rest of the story extremely well. It is ...more
Ami-May
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another Brillant book by Dreda Say Mitchell, I had the pleasure to read Spare Room, and I was so excited to get an ARC copy of this book. Thank you to Bloodhound Books.

Rachel, the main character is unemployed, in debt, soon to be homeless living in a shared house. But she is lucky enough to be given a months trail for a new job, being a management consultant for a new business for a man called Micheal. But her new job uncovers massive lies, secrets and trauma. It turns into her worse
Lel Budge
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel is a mess, shes up to her eyes in debt and has overstayed her welcome in a friends house share. She could ask her Dad for help, but she is too ashamed.

So, when Michael offers her a job as a marketing consultant, she jumps at the chance even though both of them know she has no experience at all. It all starts well, but then Michael raises concerns and Rachel is moved to the basement with the techiesand to get to the basement she has to use a Trap Door.

This is the same basement where 22
Elaine Browne
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very different book from dredas usual genre
But as usual its very well written with lots of twists and turns
Loved the characters of Rachael and Keats in particular
If you like spooky physiological thrillers than this is the book for you
This author never fails to deliver
Kay Oliver
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Good Book

I loved this story. There were so many questions I was dying to get answers to. The journey to those answers was compelling, stunning and filled with twists and turns. There were, however, too many incomplete sentences for my taste.
Annemie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dreda Trap door.

This was actually quite a scary book... When I started reading, I thought this was not for me. I'm not overly fond of books written in the first person. But after a few chapters, I got hooked. Rachel, young girl, quite desperate for a job , finally finds one and then embarks on a journey of finding friendship where it seemed unlikely, ... I really loved this book and am looking forward to more books by this author!
Ellie Shepherd
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is the first book I have read by Dreda and it won't be the last. I binge read it and saved myself the last hour just to make it last longer. What an addictive story, weaving plenty of activity throughout the book, likeable characters and characters you hate immediately. I had no idea where it would take me. Brilliantly done.
Karolyn
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
This is my review of Trap Door by Dreda Say Mitchell. Its set in London. One of the buildings used was reportedly once an old Victorian sweatshop with a tragic history attached to it. Over 100 years ago, in the basement there had been a fire and the young women working there had been trapped and died.

Rachel is in her twenties and is in dire need of some money. She is being forced out of her lodgings where she is currently residing and her own home is just an empty shell. Her finances are a
Lynn
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family Betrayal beyond anything you could imagine

When Rachel takes on a job to try and pay of her huge mounting debts nothing could ever have prepared her for how this would profoundly affect her; everything that she had known all her life, or believed in unravels in more twisting ways than you could imagine.

At eighteen years old Rachel tragically loses her dearest friend Philip in a fire; which leaves her feeling that loss, as well as the loss of her mother.

Move ahead ten years and with her
Lindsay
Ruth Matheson
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel is an young woman who has serious debt issues and it is whilst sofa surfing between friends, that one of them gives her a break. She turns up in a café for an interview and finds that the job is well paid and they dont seem to bother that she doesnt have all of the relevant qualifications. On turning up at the new job, she sees a plaque on the outside wall about a fire in the basement of the building 100 years before which killed 22 young girls working there. It turns out that Rachel has ...more
Helen Christmas
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An unusual story with a clever, convoluted plot. The author does a brilliant job striking fear into the heart, in fact I cannot even begin to describe how gripping this is.

Rachael's finances are in ruin, the one factor that tempts her into accepting a job that sounds too good to be true. It doesn't seem long though, before she finds herself in a work place from hell but why does she stay? What is it about the face she spots on a computer screen that has her risking life and limb to dig deeper.
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dreda Say Mitchells new psychological thriller, Trap Door, is the second book of this genre she has written. I personally love Dredas writing, but feel with Trap Door she has been honing the skills she has in abundance: to be razor sharp!
Rachel is the main character and is at the end of her tether. She is attempting to be independent, but is losing the battle! She owes money at every corner and is on the edge of losing her house. Her friend recommends her for a job, which seems to be the dream
Stacy

Rachel Jordan is unemployed, soon to be homeless and feeling quite helpless. In a last-ditch attempt to get her life back on track, shes presented with an opportunity to start as a management consultant in an upcoming yet successful company. It all seems to good to be true, her new boss seems charismatic, his assistant is kind but she is still left with a feeling of unease. While doing a bit of digging she discovers her workplace has its own secrets; over 100 years ago the old Victorian
Lauren Conley
Carol Keen
This is a fast-moving story told from the first-person point of view. Rachel is in a mega jam and has to have a job. She has been through a lot in her past, and now she is going to face her issues again. Her new job site has a horrible past, a sad and tragic one. However, it seems to hold keys to its own issues and answers to her past. Thus this story goes down the mental rabbit holes, the trap door, to find the answers with Rachel.

I found this story to be a bit twisty, and I'm not sure I got
Elisabeth Soane
This is my first book by this author and I liked the concept. It starts out as a ghost story and then evolves into a family drama.
Rachel is desperate to get her life back on track after decisions have left her with a mountain of debt and no job. Then she lands a job with a management consultancy in an old building where a fire killed people 100 years before.
Rachel finds herself working with a group of men in the basement.
The story is far fetched but still enjoyable and I liked how the story
Jill D Coffin
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! And real writing. Well Done. Must Read.

This is first and foremost a well written, thoughtfully conceived, suspenseful novel. The plot was very unique and loaded with twists and surprises. But not merely story driven, this work also births characters who are not only arresting and deftly drawn with a light hand and a huge impact, it depicts the gray area between good and evil which is what really brings it to life as a psychological thriller. No one is who you think. Ever!
Mel Mars
That was quite a read!
I was already a fan of Dreda, as I loved Spare Room, so thank you Bloodhound for the opportunity to read Trap Door! I've always liked characters like Rachel, as I find them easier to relate to them than "uber" humans we can sometimes read about.
That being said, you can clearly see that Rachel went through a serious trauma, and is drill dealing with the repercussions 10 years later, when this story is set.
When we find her, she is practically homeless, and need to find a job
booklover BEV
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's a oh my god read

Plenty of twisty moments.
This book just shook me.
It has a blazing inferno cutting through you as you read.
Lots of goosebumps appear in more than one chapter.
It will leave you numb.
These are all my emotions as I read this remarkable book. Rachel Jordan, a Londoner, is at a job interview that is taking place in a cafe, Michael Barrington offers her a one month contract on a management consultancy. She has a job hopefully for keeps. The building that she is working at has
Danny Matheson
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts slowly however the more you get into it the more you will not want to put it down. It turns into a really good psychological suspense.

Rachel is a young woman who has fallen into a lot of debt and is too ashamed to approach her wealthy father for help. Instead she takes on a job that appears to be to good to be true. Within a short period of time this proves to be the case and her worst nightmares come back to haunt her. Her past and a phobia come to the fore.

This is a very
Olga Wojtas
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gripping, pacy psychological thriller starts with debt-ridden Rachel landing a staggeringly well-paid job for which she is completely unqualified. But is her boss, the charming Michael Barrington, the saviour he seems? Spookily, the building shes working in was a former Victorian sweatshop where its young female workers died in tragic circumstances. But its not just the distant past that holds mystery and terror: Rachel finds herself in a bizarre nightmare that forces her to question ...more
Ahbet
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creepy & suspenseful as advertised

Holy Hanna! What a crazy ride. The characters are so believable and each compliments the others. The story is well written an very hard to put down. I could feel the emotions of the characters, as the writing was so descriptive without being over the top. I thought I had it all figured out, but with 100 or so pages left in the book, I couldn't imagine where the story was going to go. Well, did I get a shock. Then another. And another. I never saw the end in
Alfred J. Coscia
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A definite edge of your seat thriller!

No spoilers in my reviews

This one was quite a wonderful surprise. Ms Mitchell does an excellent job of creating a brilliant plot with intriguing characters and topping it all off with a bunch of pithy humanity. I don't think that others would disagree. I'm a full-blown book junkie and I have standards. This one meets and exceeds my standards, so do yourself a favor and get this book and read it!

As always I wish happy reads to all, and I am happy
Rose Aitken
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
when the truth comes out eh?

Done in one long sitting. Its late and my brain is still buzzing with this book. Some of it I worked out but not before it became obvious. I dont like the old phrases like page turner and couldnt put it down but this book does live up to all of that. Id read another book by this author any time. The only thing I found a bit jarring is this. If Philip had been dead for ten years and yet apparently Rachel is only 23 then shed have been thirteen but no, she was eighteen.
Olga Wojtas

• The Three Women: a jaw-dropping psychological thriller
  • Apartment Six
  • Damaged: a heart-stopping psychological thriller
  • Your Only Friend
  • Deep Dark Secrets
  • The First Husband
  • M for Murder
  • The Anniversary
  • Down to Sleep (Crime after Crime #2)
  • Trust
  • A Simple Lie
  • Mr Moonlight: A spine-tingling mystery to while away the dark hours
  • MINE
  • You Are Mine
  • Watch Over Me: A psychological thriller with a jaw-dropping twist
  • Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
  • The Other Woman
  • If I Should Die (Crime after Crime #3)
Dreda Say Mitchell, who grew up on a housing estate in east London, is an award-winning novelist, broadcaster, journalist and freelance education consultant who describes herself as a 'complete busybody'. Dreda was named one of Britain's 50 Remarkable Women by Lady Geek. She is the author of five novels, with her first book having been awarded The CWA's John Creasey Dagger for best debut crime ...more