Start by marking “Complete Darkness” as Want to Read:
Complete Darkness

Complete Darkness

For centuries many have pondered the prospect of an afterlife and feared what came to be known as 'hell’. One day soon we accidentally ‘map’ it whilst investigating ‘dark matter’.

Complete Darkness is an action-packed literary shock to the senses that mixes flights of comic fantasy with bouts of brutal violence.
Mankind’s only hope seems to be having a very bad day.
Can Cle
Published October 25th 2019 by Burton Mayers Books

To ask other readers questions about Complete Darkness, please sign up.
Matt Adcock There will be a sequel 'CD2 - Darker Matters' but it won't hit until after the next book in the same Darkmatters Universe called S O U L : T R A C E w…moreThere will be a sequel 'CD2 - Darker Matters' but it won't hit until after the next book in the same Darkmatters Universe called S O U L : T R A C E which has some cross over characters from COMPLETE DARKNESS but is not an actual sequel.(less)

Start your review of Complete Darkness
James Parsons
Here we have some kind of a wild and bizarre but very detailed at the same time, loopy entertaining scifi adventure.
I was not too sure what kind of tale this was exactly before reading, other than it was possibly some kind of cyberpunk influenced science fiction. Well it is that, but a lot more...
This is a fun read. The author Matt Adcock is obviously a fan of lots of different pop culture from all kinds of movies ranging from shoot 'em up action to splatter horror, superhero comic books, relig
Upasana Singh
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This Book is brimming with Science Fiction...
The plot has a gruesome dystopian twist with a thorough depiction of a futuristic World which includes groundbreaking technology 🌎 🤑 Would love to see a Movie made out of this one 🤖💀🦾🦿🎥

Cleric20 is obsessed with his virtual reality adventures. His GiX (Droid cum Bodyguard 🦾) and his “Play Product” (Gaming feature linked to the brain & the emotion channelises the game levels 🤖) are his preferred company 🤭 Then why would anyone bet on a loner in millions
Owen Knight
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An important aspect of the enjoyment of fiction, and in particular sci-fi, is the inventiveness and originality of the author. We like to be taken to unfamiliar places that surprise us and stretch our imagination. Complete Darkness demonstrates such creativity in a fast-moving novel that pits a God versus the Devil struggle in an alternate future that weaves in and out of gaming and reality. The theological aspects are treated with a light touch, including enforced conversion, under pain of deat ...more
Jason Tanamor
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Matt Adcock delivers an interesting tale on what life would be like in the future. “Complete Darkness: A Darkmatters Novel” is the 90% of the world’s dark matter that represents, of all things, hell. The president is the devil who wants to end the world, and the protagonist, Cleric20, is a relatively unknown resident who suddenly inherits a superpower to stop him.

The book is fast paced, and is littered with footnotes to give additional layers to an already shocking, but dazzling, story. I had t
S.C. Eston
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
As far as sci-fi goes, this book stands out with its originality and its many interesting ideas. The flow is a bit challenging at first, with a lot of jumping around and many footnotes (which are key in understanding the complexity of the setting). At times, I felt as if I was reading a comic instead of a novella, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I would have liked to see more interesting and important female characters. Overall, the concept is cool and there is a lot of potential here.
Jason Absalom
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what can I say? Where to start? How can I possibly effuse enough to explain how I feel about this book? How to put it in words that accurately gets the message across? Phew, what a ride that was!

For starters, I'm at an advantage in that I'm the same age as the author and grew up in the same town, so I got every single in-joke and period reference, which were an absolute delight. Look out for, in order of appearance, references to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars and Top Gun!

Put aside tha
Tanweer Dar
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read plenty of Science Fiction, and Complete Darkness certainly stands out as being something very different in this genre.

In this regard, I must applaud its originality. Some of the details are fascinating and highly sophisticated. Politics, religion and philosophy all get a look in, too.

There are some pretty intense scenes of graphic violence, though, so take note if you're squeamish. In fact, there is a whole lot of iconoclasm and a sort of brash 'Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Red D
Chris Malone
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wild and futuristic. I have never read anything like it before. The reader is taken on a helter-skelter ride through a futuristic chaos. Accept that you will not really understand what is happening (if you are as unfamiliar with this genre as I am) and just let the words carry you through to the end! Massively frustrated by the female stereotypes, I could see how they sat firmly within the world which is painted with such a bizarre pen.
Ishan Agrawal
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always been a huge Hollywood-holic(if that sounds like a word! 😛) kind of person especially when it comes to science fiction. This year has been blended with too many cliché romantic read so was wondering if there is something than can actually quench my thirst for a roller coaster ride and at the same time being pretty humorous at places. I come across this scintillating work and oh boy! it satiated my hunger like no other book had.

"Complete Darkness" with its blurb gives an impression
Scott Branchfield
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I confess, as I started reading Complete Darkness by Matt Adcock, I was thinking that I was not going to like it. There is an awful lot of exposition and switching of point of view that made it confusing as to who we were following. But then . . . I started appreciating the little gems of trends or brands that have been extrapolated into the future. It is a grim future that takes place in L2 or new London which was built above old London (don’t even ask about old London). It is not a place you w ...more
Craig Robinson
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Complete Darkness to be a highly entertaining read with plenty of action to keep the reader engaged from beginning to end. It was an interesting look at a dystopian future and the evil forces attempting to impose their will on that futuristic society. There was a nice mix of humour, and the references back to present-day life gave it a feeling of familiarity.

It is heavy on scene changes, acronyms and footnotes (which contain much important information to help understand the world that A
Martin White
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crazy future thrill ride –

This book is a bit of a step out of my usual reading genre but I thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t believe how much information is crammed into the one book.

Set in a future that’s somewhere past Bladerunner and has turned left at Altered carbon and Consider Phlebas, a world decision is made to map out Dark Matter – only to discover that it’s a way in to Hell. Hilarity, violence and strange robot sex ensue…

With detailed descriptions and more intricate and surreal world b
Jodie Reneé
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful Cyberpunk Fiction

So when I started reading, I was like, ‘this is really different’, and it absolutely is a unique read, but in the best possible way. Action packed, fast paced, and unapologetically gruesome at times.
Not only was I gripped by the plot, but I was also impressed by the political, and religious undercurrent that is smothered in a thick layer of science-fiction. It got me thinking, considering, and questioning, and I am a sucker for a book that makes me ponder.
It’s so we
Dean Cole
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Complete Darkness is a powerful and engaging dark adventure sci-fi novel set in a grim alternate future. It’s a heavy read at times, high on tech and detail, but that's to be expected for this type of story. It’s a depth sci-fi lovers will appreciate and footnotes make the detail easier to understand. I don’t read a lot of sci-fi, and certainly haven't ready anything like this before, but the book kept my interest throughout. I was blown away by its originality and Adcock's imagination. It’s int ...more
Sian Rosé
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever and hilarious

Normally, sci-fi isn't my genre of choice so I wasn't all too sure what to expect from Complete Darkness... I was very pleasantly surprised by how witty, sharp and side splittingly hilarious this book is! Captain Addams is such a funny and likable character- the element of humour worked so well with lightening the tone, making it enjoyable even for an audience who aren't always typical sci-fi fans. Fantastic! Try this book, you won't regret it!!!
Kathryn Barnett
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read sci-fi, but I was intrigued by the premise of Matt Adcock's book. There were so many questions within the story about our survival, who we are, friendships and the struggles between good and evil. Yet there is an addictive humour within the story that made me smile. I loved the subtle hint of romance which was clever writing indeed. There is so much I could take away from the experience of reading this book; total and complete originality and what an imagination! This is a ...more
David Curfiss
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely enthralled me from page 1 to page done. Exceptionally unique cyber horror.
Ayesha Fathima Muskaan
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I basically don't read sci fi but this book was alluring , The author has blended 2 genres in splendid manner , on one hand as he subtly puts across the questions regarding religion , he further also portrays the desires, wants of human as to what extent they can go evil, There are subtle layers which help us ponder on many aspects of life , if man rejects religion believing it not to be right,threat to humsni and challenging the ultimate power. Will this enable him walk on the path which will l ...more
D.M.Z. Liyanage
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘Complete Darkness’ is a sophisticated sci-fi, which felt original and stylish. The world – a grim ‘London2’ feels incredibly cool and the story draws you in from the first page. I especially liked the protagonist – Cleric20 and the swift pace of the novel – there is no opportunity to get bored here! The spirituality angle of God versus the Devil was interesting to see in a science fiction novel. The book feels cinematic -the descriptions of the surroundings and the action is very visual, which ...more
A.C. Salter
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First of all, well done Matt Adcock for creating a cyberpunk master piece - Complete Darkness had me gripped from the start. It was punchy, thrilling and gorgeously gruesome.

This book is written in a style I've never come across before, and initially took me a few pages to adjust to the footnotes - yet after getting used to the flow, the rest of the story rushed by like a punch to the ribs - but in a good way. My only gripe is that the ride was over too soon.
Savannah Worman (Sav’s Review)
Complete Darkness is what I would imagine you would get if you mixed Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and the video game Doom. It’s a hyper-violent thrill ride with satanic undertones.

For centuries many have pondered the prospect of an afterlife and feared what came to be known as ‘hell’.

In the near future, we map the elusive ‘dark matter’ around us, only to find out that it is hell itself, and it is very real…

As the satanic President Razour attempts to bring forward Armageddon to prevent hu
Adam
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cyberpunk imagination in mech battle armour

Matt's world creation is a riot of cyberpunk craziness with foundations of thought-provoking theological perseverations. This is a must for anyone interested in the genre. The world building is as intense as it is imaginative. The pace is blindingly fast. A very interesting read. Looking forward to the next installment
Made DNA
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is difficult to pinpoint where the novel thrives; it is at once fiction and yet flows in and out of theology, philosophy and "faux" non-fiction like a tide caressing a beach. Truly unique in vision and scope, it is not completely for the casual fiction reader, but those dedicated readers who love complete focus as they follow the protagonist Cleric20 through L2, a post-cyberpunk world of grim quirk and loud guns to go from zero to hero all at the behest of the very devil himself. Imaginative ...more
Jane
Complete Darkness is a blast. Full of imagination and verve, it takes you a ride into the future where social media is wired into the brain and your emotional status is there for all to see, highlighted on your own personal display. Here we meet Cleric20 and his robot sidekick, GiX, a retired Godbot.

Cleric20 is a dissolute loner, muddling through life in future London (L2). He's a citizen of a dystopian future overseen by satanic President Razour, who has an army of A.I. soldiers and BattlemaGe
Michael Long
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone that likes the cyberpunk genre and theology should read this book. There is a lot of the cyberpunk element, but the theology is the best part. Having these two genres blended is like having your cake and eating it too.

". . . the long-dark precedent for military use of spiritual or occult forces is no secret. The attempted channelling of the very forces of Darkness to fight alongside and/or terrorise the army into greater victories, no matter what the cost, has often been attempted with va
Ashley Nicole
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a light read, but a very interesting one

Although a bit daunting at first with the footnotes, this story is very intriguing! The world building is massive and not only touches on technology but also entertainment, drugs, and politics of the future. All the POVs converge in an epic ending that leaves you wondering, "What's next?"
When I say this isn't a light read, I mean it. Sure you could breeze through it based on size, but to fully immerse yourself in this world I recommend following the f
Julian Bond
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read fiction, but I'm glad I read this one. End times dystopia seems somehow rather appropriate at the moment and, being British, this includes the (terrible) weather. It also contains a nasty, engineered virus, what could go wrong? I can't tell you because that would be a spoiler! Throw in the devil, various dark figures and a ton of weaponry and what more could you ask for?! Read it quick before the prequel/sequel comes out!
Luke Adcock
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An engaging, fast-paced read set in the high-tech future of the year 2242, Complete Darkness combines quirky characters and smart dialogue with violence, theology, and an original, exciting universe that has incredible amounts of potential.
Rajesh Thakur
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exploration of human vision to its extended end is a basic element of sci-fi genre and Matt Adcock demonstrates it in an atypical way when he gives the answer of the question: “What is the Darkmatters Universe?” even before the acknowledgment segment of the book. Such type of extended account of exploration needs absolute vision to make it seem convincing to the readers and the intellectual community. From the chapter entitled “Elemental Prologue-Death from the Past”, the story commences to ente ...more
Akhila Saroha
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The future and life in it are fascinating for all readers, and writers show their artistic talent by sharing their vision of the future in their works. In this showcase of future life, what holds a reader's interest is the ingredients an author uses to create a new mixture. In his “Complete Darkness,” Matt Adcock uses a unique style of writing with an appropriate fusion of oxymoronic elements and has the readers in the grip of the text from the beginning.
The title gives a minor hint of the cont

• Shadows in the night
  • Yellow: The verses of hurting and healing
  • The Storyteller
  • The Moirai: What Does Your Destiny Hold For You?
  • Aisling
  • Letters from a dead girl
  • Sunset by the River