Start by marking “Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)” as Want to Read:
Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)

Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction

(Adrian Mole #7)

Adrian Mole, now age thirty-four and three quarters, needs proof that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction so he can get a refund from a travel agency of the deposit he paid on a trip to Cyprus. Naturally, he writes to Tony Blair for some evidence.

Hes engaged to Marigold, but obsessed with her voluptuous sister. And he is so deeply in debt to banks and credit
Published November 1st 2006 by Soho Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction

Start your review of Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
W
Mar 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, humour, abandoned
Adrian Mole can be a funny character at times.
Earlier I had read The Cappuccino Years and found it fairly interesting.

I expected this to be a political satire.But it's not really about Bush and Blair's invasion of Iraq on the pretext of Saddam stockpiling weapons of mass destruction.

Adrian Mole writes to Blair to provide some evidence of the existence of the WMDs.He worries that his son could be deployed to Iraq.

But mostly it is about Adrian Mole's life and other things.There is the odd funny
Bionic Jean
This is the eighth book about Adrian Mole (don't ask ...) who started his literary life in 1982, at the age of thirteen and three quarters. The series of books has kept pace with his age and it feels as though it is winding down. The running joke about the inept Adrian is wearing a bit thin, and to put him in the idiotic situation of writing letters to the prime minister so that he can get a refund on his upcoming foreign holiday, seems too ludicrously contrived to be funny.

The book was written
Iona  Stewart
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is yet another laugh-out-loud Adrian Mole diary. This time he begins the diary at the age of 34, but he is still the same earnest, pedantic, letter-writing Adrian.

He has moved away from his flaky parents home into a pricey loft apartment on Rat Wharf, not realizing that theres a reason for the rat appellation. It could also have been called Aggressive Swan Wharf for that matter, but well get back to that later.

Adrian is a great admirer of Tony Blair and a staunch believer in the existence
Travelin
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am deducting one star because the general politics of the book is a strangely British combination of do-nothingism and liberal fetish. But I am still a bit awestruck that Townsend wrote a book of this size with a humour that never, ever got tedious, even with the politics, on a beach in eastern Europe with 30 lesser books cycling through my brain. It's possible I am the most demanding of all when it comes to humour, and I have such an absolutely begrudging, absolutely astonished admiration for ...more
Saffron
Jun 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a teenager I loved the Adrian Mole books, and even re-reading the original two again recently I found them still a funny read, more for nostalgia than anything I think.

Moving on to Adrian as an adult, I didn't love the Cappuccino Years, but it was okay. This however tested my patience. Adrian as a teenager was amusing as an adult, down right irritating but it was Marigold that killed it for me. I know she is meant to be an emotional vampire that you hate and that it the point of her character
Francis James
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
Entertaining as always!
Bettie

The fifth book in our series of readings from Adrians diaries, written by Sue Townsend. It starts in 2002 and covers the controversial period of the Iraq War.

Adrian is 34, working in a bookshop in Leicester and about to become the proud owner of a trendy loft apartment. His single status is about to change too, putting further strain on his already stretched finances. As war looms, Adrian is unwavering in his support for Prime Minister Tony Blair and
Sara Townsend
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-fiction
I feel like I've grown up with Adrian Mole. I've been following his exploits since I was 13 years old, and as a character fixed in time, he's a year or two older than me.

This book chronicles Adrian's life in 2003, age 34, with the backdrop of the war in Iraq. He worries about his 17-year-old son, who has joined the army and has been deployed to Kuwait, he struggles with a debt problem that's spiralling out of control, and still his love life is as disastrous as ever - he's trying to extricate
Sara Eames
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I first read the Adrian Mole diaries when I was at school but soon stopped reading them. However, at my book swap, I noticed this one on the table and thought I would revisit Mole and see how his life had progressed, as it were. Basically, this is an ok book - a standard Adrian Mole story - amusing at times but not laugh-out-loud funny. Adrian has grown-up (sort of) but still takes no responsibility for his life. Some fo the situations he found himself in were frustrating - you just wanted him ...more
Richard Barnes
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply the finest and funniest and most moving skewering of Blair's era and his grand folly.

The shallowness of early 21st century Britain is exposed as even Mole, surely the most unfashionable man on Earth, gets caught up (living a lifestyle, not a life as one character puts it). His love life goes through one of its most tumultuous periods with one of his most appalling partners (which is saying something).

Townsend's skills hit their height here, where she deftly brings the laughs and
Robyn Smith
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sue Townsend did it again with this poignant tale of a grown-up Adrian, working in a seedy second-hand bookshop in London.
I wonder if Adrian was secretly a bit autistic, as some of his behaviour, especially towards his girlfriend, Marigold,seems redolent of Don Tillman in The Rosie Project.
I just read that Sue Townsend had gone blind from diabetes when she wrote this novel. She dictated it to her husband. also, she was working on a sixth Adrian Mole novel when she died, entitled Pandora's Box.
Evelyn
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize there were several Adrian Mole books and while I did recognize a few references to earlier storylines that I of course did not have the background knowledge on while reading this book, I did not feel in any way lost because I had not started with the first book.
I found this story entertaining and I enjoyed the diary entry format.
With that said, I cannot see myself rushing out to locate the rest of the series. This was a good one off light read.
Max Urai
I don't believe in guilty pleasures because it's weird to feel guilt about something you like. But the Adrian Mole books are a silly pleasure to me, especially the latter ones, when the teenage whining has made way for his adult troubles. I do think he is one of the great comic characters in the British canon, even though his books flounder a bit when it comes to writing.
Lighthearted
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humorous-fiction
Adrian Mole is now 34 3/4 years old and as the story begins he has canceled his holiday in Cyprus because of Tony Blairs warnings that Saddam Husseins weapons of mass destruction could target the island in 45 minutes. Unfortunately, his travel agent wont refund his deposit until evidence of the WMDs is put forward. Soooo, true to form, Adrian writes a series of letters to Mr. Blair requesting that Mr. Blair provide this proof to said travel agent.

Although the war does bring a sad note to the
Katherine Hetzel
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This particular book felt contrived to shoehorn in as many of the current news items as possible from the time of writing.

Adrian continues to be irresponsible, immature, stupid with a capital S, and frankly, bloody annoying! In that sense, he is now becoming unrealistic, as most folks would have at least changed a little bit by their mid-thirties. He hasn't, and the novelty's wearing off. I'm not sure whether Sue Townsend was getting fed up with him too by the end of the novel, because the
Realini
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend
Eight out of 10

Given the tremendous success of The Secret Diary Adrian Mole, Aged 13 - http://realini.blogspot.com/2019/12/t... - listed on The Guardians 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read list, it is only natural to expect sequels, although as the case often is, what follows an acclaimed work does not rise to the level of the first installment for the sixth episode in the series, one critic is right in observing that the immature and
Margaret
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how she does it, but Townsend has kept Adrian Mole fresh, funny, and touching all these years, since The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4. Here Adrian is in his thirties, with two sons, one in the army, one in Africa with his mother; his relationship with the son in the army is particularly well-done, as Glenn goes to Iraq and Adrian, previously a supporter of the war, becomes uncertain of his feelings about it. As usual, Adrian gets into more messes than he can handle, ...more
Martha
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Adrian at 34 & 3 quarters is his usual conflicted self--trying to get out of a pending marriage with Marigold, going madly into debt to buy a lifestyle, supporting Tony Blair in the war on Iraq, fighting off the attacking swans outside his loft on Rat Wharf in Leicester.

Sue Townsend writes really funny books.
Helen
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't aware this was a book series although you can definitely read it as a standalone book which is what I did. Very British humour!! It was funny but I wasn't screaming with laughter. Good for those who are fans of Ricky Gervais style humour!!
Gillian
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I really wanted to love this, the first of the Adrian Moles I've ever read, but frankly I didn't. I certainly wouldn't say I hated it, but I didn't laugh out loud. Quick relaxing read but I don't think I will bother with the others.
Kim
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked this one better than the prior one in the series. If it drives you crazy to read about someone who chooses the opposite of what he knows he should do for almost every decision, then you probably shouldn't read it.
Anita
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun to read! Great characters and an entertaining storyline. I couldn't put this book down because I always wanted to know what was going to happen to Adrian next, and how things were going to pan out with regards to his crazy relationships and his opinions on the Iraq war. Brilliant!
Victoria Zigler
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
For the most part this was another exceelent addition to this series. However, it was spoiled for me a little by the way a blind character was handled. I appreciate that most people haven't had much contact with visually impaired people, so the main character's initial behaviour towards him is understandable. I have to say though, speaking as a blind person who went through sight loss as an adult myself, if my friends continued to act that way to me - doing things like leading me by the front of ...more
Shaun Nightshade
Adrian Mole has been around for many years. I read the original story a few years back and now had a great offer on this audio book. I loved the humour and voice of Adrian in the original series and hoped that an older Adrian had lost none of his honesty and adrianess.

I wasnt disappointed, the narrator did a very good job and came across well as the star. Adrian is still the same loveable (?) character he was before, still having problems with his love life and dare I say profoundly in love with
Joanna
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh Adrian what a disappointment you brought on me. And why?
I loved Adrian Mole books as a teenager. I found him witty, a bit ridiculous, original, fresh - he was great. Then I had a long break. I didn't follow through after the first two books. I excitedly grabbed this one from my mom in law's bookcase... and the rest goes only downhill form there. No amount of nostalgia will make up for a fact that Adrian Mole is just... pitiful and pathetic.

Humour is gone, wit is gone. There is still nice
Priscilla King
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's part of Adrian Mole's emotional blindness that, at the turn of the century, he devoutly believes Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. Not that the question's really relevant to his life, except that the first of the children of Adrian's many short-term relationships is now old enough to join the Army and Adrian worries about him, when not worrying about the other situations he perpetually walks into or sets up. He's more worried about his job (which seems congenial to him, but we are ...more
Balachander
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm still on the lookout for amusing books. This book proved to be a disappointment - though it did manage to go from utterly mediocre depressing fare to slightly amusing and that paralleled Adrian's advancement from loneliness to Marigold and eventually Daisy. Since it was my first Adrian Mole book, I wasn't familiar with the characters and it was a bit of a shock to find out that Adrian was actually the father of two kids (one of whom is in the army). I don't know if I should blame Adrian's ...more
Katie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
The seventh book in Sue Townsend's long-running Adrian Mole series, Weapons of Mass Destruction centers (not unexpectedly) upon the Blair years and Iraq War. Although I have enjoyed all of the Diaries of Adrian Mole, I did find this volume to be a bit of a slog. I stopped and started several times, and it has taken me the best part of the year to bother returning to it. Though I have listened to the earlier books many times and in many adaptations, I doubt that I will listen to this one again.

Dan Thompson
Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction is an enjoyable read that moves the life of Adrian Mole along nicely. I love the political insights that add a sense of realism, but also humour too, because Townsend manages to capture the very insight of the British population during the Tony Blair years.

Adrian's life seems full of drama and ridiculousness this time around that it consumes you. And yet Townsend still picks up on the mundane problems of Adult Life: debt, homelessness, red tape,
Ruth
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mike and the Weapons of Mass Destruction

This is an amazing book, and I enjoyed it immensely! It's the first Adrian Mole I have read, and while I always try to start a series with the first book, I am glad I made an exception. I want to read the rest of the series as soon as possible. I am not going to try to describe the plot except to say that it's a genius combination of humor and sensitivity to the difficulties of everyday life. Highly recommended. :-)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Bobok
  • Kappa Quartet
  • Ten Things My Father Never Taught Me and Other Stories
  • Letters to Aly
  • Letters from Leaders: Personal Advice For Tomorrow's Leaders From The World's Most Influential People
  • Notes from a Friend: A Quick and Simple Guide to Taking Control of Your Life
  • The Last King of Scotland
  • Dishonesty is the Second-Best Policy: And Other Rules to Live By
  • The Christmas Wish List
  • Fluke
  • Alex Ferguson: A Light in the North

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole, Margaret Hilda Roberts and Susan Lilian Townsend
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)