Start by marking “Early: An Intimate History of Premature Birth and What It Teaches Us About Being Human” as Want to Read:

Inspired by Sarah DiGregorio’s harrowing experience giving birth to her premature daughter, Early is a compelling and empathetic blend of memoir and rigorous reporting that tells the story of neonatology – and explores the questions raised by premature birth.

Early is a definitive history of neonatology, written with urgency and clarity, beauty and compassion.

Published January 28th 2020 by Fourth Estate

To ask other readers questions about Early, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early

Start your review of Early: An Intimate History of Premature Birth and What It Teaches Us About Being Human
LibraryLaur
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
I have a personal interest in this topic (my second child was born at 30 weeks), and I found this book fascinating. Well-written and engaging, it covered a lot of ground, from the history of neonatology to its future. It also included the author's personal story of having a premature baby, as well as other parents' stories, and a lot of thought-provoking statistics.

I can't remember where I got an e-galley (I can't find it on my shelves in edelweiss or Netgalley) but I will update if I figure it
Katelyn
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Wow. I could read DiGregorio write about cereal boxes. I started this book intending just to read her personal story of delivering a preemie, but I quickly found myself devouring this entire book. DiGregorio's investigation of preemie care past, present and future is fascinating. She clearly has a stake in the game, and her interest and personal story propel this well researched book.

A fascinating, can't stop turning the pages account of how we've handled premature birth in the past,
Deirdre Lohrmann
I would recommend this book to everyone. There are a lot of important facts and opinions which needed to be spoken about premature births and how hospitals and nursing practices have changed when handling preemies. My child was a preemie by only a month but this book really spoke to me. The problems that are out there and not addressed from multiple points. From racial stressors leading to premature birth to lack of medical care and support. There is no one cause for preemies to be born as early ...more
Hailey Simpson
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Caring for them [premature babies] is like touching some essence, something you aren’t supposed to see: the terrible beauty of a human being built, gorgeous and unknowable.”

Although I enjoyed it, I’d be hesitant to recommend unless it’s a population or topic you are particularly interested in. However, it’s a really remarkable book on prematurity and neonatology. Gave such beautiful language to the incredible little world I’m so fortunate get to call “work” during the week.
Kristen Dandurand
Dawn
Sara
Barajas Gonzalez
Feb 06, 2020

• Assignment in Amsterdam: A Kate Benedict Paranormal Mystery (The Kate Benedict Series Book 5)
  • The Scottish Connection (Kate Benedict #4)
  • The Origin of Species
  • Smacked: A Story of White-Collar Ambition, Addiction, and Tragedy
  • The God Who Sees: Immigrants, the Bible, and the Journey to Belong
  • The Florentine Cypher (Kate Benedict #3)
  • To Hell And Back: A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Trials And Tribulations, #3)
  • Double Blind (Kate Benedict #2)
  • The New Farm: Our Ten Years on the Front Lines of the Good Food Revolution
  • Damned To Hell: A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Trials And Tribulations, #2)
  • Celebrity in Death (In Death, #34)
  • Risk Be Damned: A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Trials And Tribulations, #1)
  • Little Farm in the Foothills: A Boomer Couple's Search for the Slow Life
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Country Grit: A Farmoir of Finding Purpose and Love
  • The Aura (Kate Benedict, #1)
  • Dragon Mage Academy The Complete Series: Books 1-7 Box Set
  • Gaining Ground: A Story of Farmers' Markets, Local Food, and Saving the Family Farm