Start by marking “One Woman Falling (Whispers of Grace, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Woman Falling (Whispers of Grace, #1)

One Woman Falling (Whispers of Grace, #1)

Cassie Peterson lives in an invisible prison of fear, chained by self-doubt and guarded by a relentless wardenher husband. Derricks verbal and physical abuse as well as his alcoholism have left Cassie alienated from her family, without friends, and certain she cant survive on her own.

After an unexpected police visit, Cassie realizes the survival of her four-year-old
Published August 1st 2019 by Mountain Brook Ink

To ask other readers questions about One Woman Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Woman Falling

Start your review of One Woman Falling (Whispers of Grace, #1)
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved:
One Woman Falling was such an emotionally impactful book, it almost hurt to read. I am so impressed with Melanie Campbellss ability to write about the topic of domestic violence with such beautiful writing. I was so drawn into this book and it deeply touched me.

How I Felt:
The characters felt so real in this story. Melanie Campbell created Cassie Peterson, a woman living a life filled with domestic abuse and made her come to life on the pages. Her story takes the reader through the
Mimi
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I think subjects are not only hard to talk about, they're hard to read about. Abuse is one of those topics. When I first heard about One Woman Falling, I wasn't sure it would be a book I'd be comfortable with, BUT the problem is...THAT'S the problem. We don't want to acknowledge the uncomfortable things and that allows the subject to remain under wraps.

The author doesn't pull any punches. She starts off introducing us to Cassie who is a stay-at-home mom to her four year old daughter.
MJSH
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tours, read-2020
This is the first book by Melanie Campbell that I have read and it's a heart-felt and emotional women's fiction that addresses some tough issues. The story is told through first-person perspective of Cassie as she faces verbal and emotional spousal abuse, the turmoils and toils of divorce and custody proceedings, the hardship of parenting alone, and the uncertainty of entering the work force. Yet, within these heart-wrenching circumstances, Cassie finds joy and peace through the metaphor and ...more
Marie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you in advance to the author, Melanie Campbell, and JustRead Publicity Tours for providing a complimentary review copy. A positive review was not required. All words and thoughts are my own.

There might be some content warnings for readers who have issues/struggles with certain subjects:

* Divorce
* Alcoholism
* DUI
* Child Custody
* Verbal Abuse
* Physical Abuse
* Domestic Violence

This is not an easy read despite it being a Contemporary Christian Fiction novel. It will be painful for the reader
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Wow.

This book is such an emotional read. I'm talking like you need your tissues nearby because it is going to punch you in the gut. I'm not going to lie, at times it was hard to read. Mostly because as a child I was in situations like this, and so it brought back a few memories - which I can handle so it was okay. But wow. Campbell brings to light a very real issue today, well two of them actually - alcoholism and abuse. She doesn't sugar coat them at all, and I appreciate that about her
Suzie Waltner
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Before you read One Woman Falling, you may want to flip to the back of the book and check out the authors note where she shares that she didnt want to write this story and the reasons why.

When Cassie Peterson has had enough and leaves her verbally abusive husband, she goes on a painfully emotional journey of establishing her new normal. Melanie Campbell does a superb job of putting readers in Cassies head and allowing them to feel her fear, pain, and heartbreak.

This book was hard to read but it
September
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story beautifully told with grace, gentleness, and yet a raw authenticity doing justice to women dealing with domestic abusive situations.
Becca-Rae Weidel
*4.5 stars*
I always talk about how I love when books make me feel something but I have to say that this one incited a whole level of anger I didn't know I had in me. In the beginning I felt like Derrick was actually underplayed from his role, but the further I got into the story the more his personality showed its true colors. I have seen countless families broken up in my lifetime and seen the level of damage that can arise especially when one party is an abuser and manipulator. As a child I
Sydney
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! This book covers some tough topics that will really hit readers hard. There is abuse of several sorts an alcoholic husband, and being taken advantage of by a co-worker, and on top of that dealing with a mother and grandmother with different ailments. This woman has it rough. And somehow she hangs on and pulls through. Loving and protecting her daughter along the way. This is a powerful story that may be hard to hear, but brings to life realities that some people could not even possibly ...more
Mandy
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I received an e-copy of this book from the author and JustRead Publicity tours in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review.

One Woman Falling is beautiful, heartbreaking, inspiring and redemptive... Author Melanie Campbell has created a story that isnt just read, but rather experienced with the heart. I found One Woman Calling to be a truly inspiring story of one womans brave, tremendous love for her daughter paralleled with the love the Heavenly Father has
Lori
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well written! I so enjoyed this story.
This new author has great potential and she has done a great job with this tough subject
I can't wait to see what she has for the future.
Cassie is truly amazing! I love her grit and determination and her struggles were believable and realistic.
For me, this story made me want to reach out and give Cassie the biggest hug just simply because she deserves it. She's one brave lady.
I didn't like Derrick from the start. He was mean and very disrepectful. I also
Patricia Lee
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On the surface Cassie leads a perfect life--beautiful home, handsome husband, darling little girl. But beneath the facade she lives a lie. She must find the courage to break free from the bonds that hold her captive. Author Melanie Campbell writes with an empathy for her characters that brings authenticity to her story. Some readers will find this novel difficult to read because of its truth while others will ask why it wasn't written sooner. A great debut novel from an author to watch.
Ann
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book!! This is a well written book that will kept you up way past your bedtime because you just have to know what happens next. The way this book is written you can feel all of the emotions and she makes the people come to life. I can't wait to read her next book. I received a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Heidi
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was blown away by the excellent story telling, this is a remarkable book that tackles very difficult subjects. I had trouble putting it down and found myself going just ten more pages late into the night.
Christi
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book I had a feeling it was going to be a tough read for me, and in a lot of ways I was right. Being a woman that left an abusive marriage myself, I deeply identified with a lot of things that happened to Cassie and Renee, certain things bringing tears to my eyes and memories to my mind as I'm reading them happen to the characters, reality hitting me hard, and leading me to contemplate my own past and how far I've come in my journey. There are things that happened that I ...more
Debbie Smith
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: justread
Not only is an abusive relationship hard to endure, but it can also make the reader uncomfortable. But on a positive side, reading and learning bring about an awareness that is much needed. So for that reason alone, open the book. We never know when that added awareness will be needed. Who can we help with this knowledge? Others? Hopefully not, but ourselves?

One Woman Falling touches on betrayal, fear, grief, hurt, healing, and much more. But on the forefront is being able to admit the truth.

Karen
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whew reading this was a whirlwind and I was unable to put it down! Author Melanie Campbell has tackled some very difficult subjects in this book, namely spousal abuse, addiction issues, as well as sexual harassment in the workplace. This captivating story follows the struggles Cassie is forced to endure along with her sweet daughter Renee by her domineering and abusive husband Derrick. Only by remembering her beloved grandfathers words, such as hold tight and keep your eyes ahead of you, or ...more
Phyllis
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read it and weep!

This intense debut novel devastated me. I know several women who are going through similar battles to the one Cassie faces in One Woman Falling, which may have influenced my thoughts on the book, but I doubt it.

The writing contains such emotional depth. Before I read the author's notes, I would have said that it is clear she did her research. Now that I've read her notes, I know she used her personal experiences, making it even more compelling.

While abuse drives Cassie from her
Alyssa Roat
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real, Tender, and Inspiring

Melanie Campbells gentle voice tells the story of a woman caught in abuse, attempting to rebuild a life for herself and her daughter, and finding the love of friends, family, and God. The characters are incredibly realistic and the story is touching. Though contemporary isnt usually my cup of tea, this book held me from beginning to end.
Randi Sampson
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I cannot say that One Woman Falling was a particular enjoyable book to read... but it was an important one that I'm glad to have read! Let's just be honest, the topic of abuse- whether physical, emotional or verbal- is not an easy one to read. It's uncomfortable, and perhaps even misunderstood and mishandled often. And that, more than anything, is why this book was so very much needed.

One Woman Falling follows the story of Cassie as she leaves her abusive husband. It is told in such a way that
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The bad things that happens to believers isn't because God is punishing them. It breaks God's heart more than we can imagine. But he makes all things work together for their good."

I started reading this book and dropped it for few hours because of the intensity and depth. I love books like that and I needed to prepare myself emotionally for it. My heart goes out to women who go through abuse, both emotional and physical. I can't begin to imagine the pain they go through.

Clued from her story,
Edward Arrington
What a sad state of affairs so many marriages are in. I know things like the events in this book really happen. Melanie Campbell is very brave to tackle such a difficult topic in her fictional story. She states that much of the story is based on real events in her own life and the lives of others she has known, but she handles it all with great care. One has to wonder how men can go as low as Derrick did and still manage to hide their true nature from others. Is it that we dont want to think a ...more
Martha
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is rare that a novel is written talking about the topic of domestic violence in an accurate way without being too graphic or not very accurate.
Take a walk through the life of a woman experiencing domestic violence and her journey to safety, done in one of the best ways I have ever seen in a novel. The author did her research when she wrote this book, and while some, the fear would be that this book could cause triggers to arise. I would say that this book will be empowering for you. It will
Martha
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisheba Haxby
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing story of a courageous young woman fleeing emotional and physical abuse. The struggle is palpable and gut wrenching as she fights not only for herself but for the safety of her young daughter.
I love the way the author weaves spiritual themes through the story, spicing it with just the right amount, drawing the reader into a transformative and emotional journey! Definitely a must read!
Patty Mcconnell
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well written first book by an up and coming new author. Authentic and well written. I loved the authors openness in sharing how she came to write this book. Kept me engaged and I particularly liked that it was inspired by her past and mentioned all the places in the Willamette Valley that I so love. Many women will relate to the theme of this book
Elena Siroshton
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm so looking forward to reading Melanie's first book. Knowing she has another one in the works makes it exciting to know the story keeps on going!
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK
I had trouble putting One Woman Falling down after I started reading it. From the first author Melanie Campbell pulled me into this story. And one thing I found interesting but sad, is this story is inspired by her own life story. She writes this book to help others in abusive marriages and situations to know how to deal with their abuse and get help. My heart goes out to Ms. Campbell for what she went through, but I praise her over and over again for sharing a story that
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Its time to go... Her beloved grandfather visits Cassie Peterson in a dream and tells her its time to go. Time to go? Where would she go? Cassie and her grandfather loved to be outdoors, especially at one of their favorite waterfalls. The dream ends and Cassie is left apprehensive and confused; was it possible that her grandfather really told her its time to go in a dream?

Then her husband, Derrick, arrives home from work, early, with a head start on his nightly drunken binges. And he is ready
Robin E. Mason
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OH MY HOLY HECK!!! THIS STORY YALL!!!
Ms. Campbell grabs the reader, jerks you into the story, and doesnt let go.
Cassies situation is terrifying and yet all too common. Sticks and stones but words can be deadly. Cassie was beat down by the venom-laced words of her husband as surely as if she had been pummeled with a fist or a baseball bat. Derrick was a bully. Self-important, manipulative, and controlling.
The suspense and tension in this story builds with every page. So tangible was the telling,

• The Road to Happenstance
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Collision of Lies
  • Meant for Her
  • More Than Enough
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • More Than We Remember
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Smoke Screen
  • Daughter of Rome
  • Above the Fold
  • A Girl’s Guide to the Outback
  • Guarded (The Night Guardians #2)
  • Hometown Healing
  • Waltz in the Wilderness (Chaparral Hearts Book 1)
  • Spring Splash
Melanie Campbell is a member of Oregon Christian Writers and ACFW. She wrote her first story when she was eight-years-old and has been in love with the power of storytelling ever since. She is also passionate about social issues and holds a degree in Sociology from the University of Oregon, which she obtained during her stint as a single-mom. Shes now married and lives in Oregons beautiful ...more

News & Interviews