Start by marking “How to Decide: Simple Tools for Making Better Choices” as Want to Read:
How to Decide: Simple Tools for Making Better Choices

How to Decide: Simple Tools for Making Better Choices

Through a blend of compelling exercises, illustrations, and stories, the bestselling author of Thinking in Bets will train you to combat your own biases, address your weaknesses, and help you become a better and more confident decision-maker.

What do you do when you're faced with a big decision? If you're like most people, you probably make a pro and con l
Published September 15th 2020 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about How to Decide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Decide

Start your review of How to Decide: Simple Tools for Making Better Choices
mishti
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
As Annie Duke writes in the intro of How to Decide, there are two things that determine how your life turns out: luck and the quality of your decisions — and you have control over only one of those things.

Decisionmaking shapes our lives, but we’re notoriously bad at it. Even after graduating with a cognitive science degree, it wasn’t until I read How to Decide that I felt like I was implementing my research into my daily life. Annie’s practical explanations, examples, and exercises helped me thi
Lance McNeill
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another ace from Annie Duke

I love reading Annie Duke and this book is another 5 star hit, in my opinion. Her work is always extremely well written and well researched. I found the theories and practical applications balanced out just right in this book.
Dima Escaroda
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've stopped at 1/3 of this book because I don't like the way it structured but here are some good notes:

Your decision-making is the single most important thing you have control over that will help you achieve your goals.

Any decision is, in essence, a prediction about the future. There are more possible futures than the one that actually happens.

Sometimes we make good decisions and they turn out well. Sometimes we make good decisions and they turn out poorly.

If you misremember the past, you are
Scott Wozniak
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
The author’s first book (Thinking In Bets) was awesome and I recommend it often. So maybe I had too high expectations, but I was disappointed in this book. It’s a critical topic and she wasn’t wrong in any of the insights she shared. But they have all he shared elsewhere—and done better in those other books. Specifically, I’d recommend Thinking Fast and Slow and Decisive. So, this was a less thorough and less insightful version of those other books. Oh well. Good reminders, I guess.
Jerome Holman
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up to thinking in bets book

This is a great follow up to thinking in 'sets it because creates practical activities to follow the frameworks of the first book! Great read! Buy both!
David S
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good followup to Thinking in Bets with a lot of practical exercises and advice.
Jorge DeFlon
Una buena secuela a Thinking in Bets.
Util, fácil de leer, pragmático.
Joao Camargo
Oct 16, 2020
Brian Gimlett
Oct 18, 2020
Annie Duke
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Àngel

• The Psychology of Money
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention
  • The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win
  • How to Lead: Wisdom from the World's Greatest CEOs, Founders, and Game Changers
  • Think Like a Rocket Scientist: Simple Strategies You Can Use to Make Giant Leaps in Work and Life
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen
  • Severance
  • Turning the Flywheel: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Surrounded by Psychopaths: How to Protect Yourself from Being Manipulated and Exploited in Business (and in Life)
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Speaking as a Leader: How to Lead Every Time You Speak...from Board Rooms to Meeting Rooms, from Town Halls to Phone Calls
  • Deep Kindness: Practicing Kindness in a World that Oversimplifies It
  • The Art of Statistics: How to Learn from Data
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • If Then: How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future
  • How to Destroy America in Three Easy Steps
Annie is the co-founder of The Alliance for Decision Education, a non-profit whose mission is to improve lives by empowering students through decision skills education. She is also a member of the National Board of After-School All-Stars and the Board of Directors of the Franklin Institute. In 2020, she joined the board of the Renew Democracy Initiative.

News & Interviews