Start by marking “Look” as Want to Read:

Things Lulu Shapiro's 10,000 Flash followers don't know about her:
* That the video of her with another girl was never supposed to go public.
* That Owen definitely wasn't supposed to break up with her because of it.
* That behind the carefully crafted selfies and scenes Lulu projects onto people's screens, her life feels like a terrible, uncertain mess.

Then Lulu meets
Expected publication: March 31st 2020 by Dial Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 31, 2020
    Enter to win an advance copy of LOOK by Zan Romanoff!

(No PO boxes please)

Availability: 5 copies available, 1880 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 29 - Mar 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look

Start your review of Look
    Abby Banks
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I never write reviews, but I felt like this book isn't getting the same level of hype as other 2020 releases and it needs to!

This is a book about a social media influencer, Lulu, whose account goes viral after she accidentally posts a video of her hooking up with another girl at a party. Her original popularity had been from her boyfriend at the time, who is the son of a famous band frontman. She shuts herself off from most of her friends and family, and spends her life going through the motions
    Natasha
    Jul 30, 2019 marked it as 2020-releases
    for fans of Emergency Contact AND We Are Okay? Okay, i'll bite
    emmy
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: ya, thriller
    I really enjoyed this book. I pulled it out thinking that it would be something kind of light and trashy to lose myself in for a day, and it ended up being something completely different. It is a keenly observed book. I can only describe it as a part-nostalgia part-relatable part-slow-burn-queer-romance coming-of-age creature... and I didn't want to put it down. Romanoff has an uncanny ability to describe the awkward, corporeal experiences of being a teenager - at least as I experienced it.

It's
    Emily (emilykatereads)
    "It's the things men do to women. The ways they think they get to be in charge of you. The way it never seems to stop."

This was so powerful. I wasn't expecting this to be so impactful with its themes of the ways men hold power of women and control their images, but damn. I entered this thinking it would be a light contemporary with a social media star. I was so wrong, but I am so happy with what I got.

This is by far the most powerful critique of social media I've seen. I find often social media
    Susan
    Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book started out a little slow but once I got into it I really loved it. This was a great queer, coming of age and finding your fierce feminist side story and I am here for it!

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
    Shoshana G
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: young-adult
    I liked this quite a bit.

Lulu is a high school student with a large following on a Snapchat-like app, where she posts beautiful pictures of her self and her beautiful life full of friends and parties. But what her followers don't know is that Lulu feels uncertain and unsure of most of the relationships in her life, despite crafting an enviable facade. When she meets the compelling Cass at a party and follows her to The Hotel, a building just as in-between and unfinished as Lulu feels, she begins
    Natalie
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: contemporary-ya, lgbtq, ya
    The feminist LA coming-of-age story of my dreams. It's so perceptive, so well-written, and eerily accurate when it comes to the experience of being a teenage girl. Plus it features a really gorgeous slow-burn romance.
    Esmée van der Weide
    Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    ''You could be nothing,'' Lulu says.
    ''I could be anything,'' Cass corrects.

I was sent an ARC of this book by a fellow booklover as she wanted to get it into the hands of a bisexual reviewer, mainly to take a look at the representation in this book. Her concern was how the representation in this book might be feeding some stereotypes around bisexuality and I was happy to take a look at this! So in this review, I am not just reviewing the book, but also giving my take on the bisexual
    Judith
    Aug 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
    No rating yes because while I did enjoy it, I need to read a second opinion on the bisexual rep first before I start praising it
    Rachael
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    Camille Pum
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I won this book in the giveaway! I was hesitant to commit to Lulu and her peer group simply out of fear that this would be another mean girls novel. I am pleasantly surprised that Zan Romanoff used Look to express intimacy, vulnerability and true compassion. I absolutely loved this book.
    dearlittledeer
    Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: young-adult
    Really really good. Tackles a lot of issues...selfie culture, male gaze, sexuality. Three dimensional secondary characters and a cool setting too!
    Queer Reader
    Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I was given a review copy of this book, and it deserves a lot more attention that it's getting! I absolutely loved it. Highly recommend!!!
    Jamie
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    As someone who works professionally in social media and spends a lot of my personal time on Instagram and Twitter, I am constantly thinking about that line between who we are and who we present ourselves as on the internet and the performative nature of it all. Am I buying this latte and fancy toast to enjoy it or because I know it will make a great Instagram Story to show all my friends what a ~cool~ weekend I'm having? What is our relationship with social media look like and what effect is it ...more
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Why isn't this book getting more buzz??? The writing is so good on the sentence level, and the story crushed me. Such a wonderful book.
    McKayla Moors
    Hey y'all! I discussed my thoughts on this book in my January 2020 Wrap-Up video over on booktube. Feel free to check it out!
    Emily
    A thoughtful meditation on social media fame, commodifying your own objectification, and the male gaze. It was a very slow burn, and there was a lot going on without a lot actually happening. I was drawn in, but I honestly don't know if I liked it. I don't even know if "liked it" is the right way to phrase my feelings in the first place. I'll leave it at this: I felt things, but it took a while to get there.
    Lindsay Sproul
    Feb 27, 2020
    Coletta
    Dec 18, 2019
    Jamie
    rated it did not like it
    Dec 18, 2019

• Yes No Maybe So
    • What I Like About You
    • Girls Save the World in This One
    • Dancing at the Pity Party
    • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
    • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • Unscripted
    • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
    • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
    • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
    • The Summer of Impossibilities
    • Nothing to See Here
    • Dark and Deepest Red
    • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
    • Gloom Town
    • Sword in the Stars (Once & Future #2)
    • Bloom
    b. Los Angeles, 1987

I write about food, feminism, television, and books. Oh, right, and teenagers.