Start by marking “The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy

The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy

(Griffin & Sabine #1-3)

With more than two million copies in print, Nick Bantock's trilogy of romantic intrigue is now available as a set, beautifully packaged in an illustrated slipcase created by the author. A lovely gift for those new to the saga of the mysterious lovers, this distinctive collection also makes an enduring keepsake for devoted fans.
Published November 1st 1994 by Chronicle Books (first published September 1st 1993)

Start your review of The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy
Sue
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012, art
This one-of-a-kind trilogy has been waiting for me on my book shelf, moving from one apartment to the next. How could I have waited so long to read this. It's an amazing concept, so beautifully and cleverly done.
Fox
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These books formed a very large portion of my childhood. My mom used to read them to me, at a maddeningly slow pace. Each night when I was heading to bed she'd come into my room and we'd painstakingly remove a letter from its envelope. We'd spend nearly as much time looking over the drawings, the postcards, just the gorgeous artwork of each piece. Then the letter would be read.

It was a magical experience, and one I ended up repeating on my own when I was old enough. I spend just as much time ex
Nikki Stafford
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know how to describe these books. It's probably the most unique reading experience you'll ever have, with a story so elusive and yet tangible it defies description. Sabine is a woman in the South Pacific who sends a postcard to Griffin asking for some of his artwork, but he has no idea who she is. Then she reveals a shocking connection the two of them have, and through their letters that span the rest of the book and the two sequels that follow, they fall in love, but keep missing e ...more
Alex
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suanne Laqueur
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These books are so fun. I’ve been meaning to do a re-read for a while.
Carolyn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A series of epistolary novels containing the correspondence between Sabine living on an south seas island and Griffin in England. They are both artists and the letters and postcards contain the most exquisite art work, from the gorgeous, and realistic to the macabre and surrealistic. A long distance love grows passionately between these two but they seem doomed to never meet in person. There are elements of supernatural and it seems they are living in parallel worlds. It is a great pleasure to r ...more
Jinx
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this trilogy - so glad I read them all together. What a find at a Little free Library!
SandyFrom Nj
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books have beautiful eclectic illustrations. This love story is told within their postcards and letters. It was fun to open and read someone else's correspondence.
Savonarola
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: experimental, art
[This review is at great length partly so that I may use it as reference material in the future.]

This brief trilogy most especially appeals for the creativity with which it engages with the medium of the Book. Although probably a closer cousin of the pop-up book and the artist's book, of things like the Futurist Manifesto and The Medium is the Massage and the image-essays of Ways of Seeing, I have my own biases, and I cannot flip through Bantock's trilogy without thoughts of the genre of "experi
Bethany
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three and a half to four stars.

The artwork pushes my rating up by at least a star. Bantock had me at "pop-up book of fake letters," and the illustrations are lovely. The plotline is bit thin, which is less annoying if you think of this trilogy as simply a chance to spy on other people's correspondence, but is undeniably frustrating if you are hoping for answers to all the questions raised in the first volume. What's perhaps the most unsatisfying is that this story builds over three books and th
Karen
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I've been meaning to read these for years. I was very glad I had all three books on hand, since the first two each end on such abrupt cliffhangers.

I loved the premise of taking an epistolary novel to the next level -- the sense of discovery as you match the postcard images to their text, and take each letter out of its envelope, is quite delightful.

The illustrations are, of course, phenomenal.

I also loved the premise of the story, the journey the author takes us on, and the poetic allusions an
Kelly
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is written in a very unique way. There are letters and postcards in these three books and it makes you feel as if you are secretly reading another person's letters. Throughout the whole trilogy I was hoping Griffin and Sabine would finally meet and complete each others lives, but there is a twist. Neither of them can be with each other and nobody really knows why. In the end, I think they seem to find a way to be with each other. If that is true it's probably because their affection f ...more
Jenifer
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
My review echoes so many others; Haunting, compellingly told, achingly romantic, and beautifully illustrated. BUT. There aren't many readers who will put up with so much unresolved - everything. When so much is left unexplained, the reader finds herself feeling like she's been taken for a ride. Manipulated and left hanging out to dry. It's hard not to be frustrated at the end of this.

I'm a big fan of lovers from parallel universes; two of my favorite movies ever; "Somewhere In Time" and "Lady Ha
Charlie
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I was a bit disappointed by these, to be honest; I'd been wanting to read them for years, but they didn't match up with my expectations. Very short, though; I read all three in less than five hours, and got more caught up in things as it went on. They are fun, and I hope to pass them on to someone who will enjoy them as much as, or hopefully more than, I did. They seem like something that ought to be shared.
Shelly
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this trilogy in 1994 and just reread it.... I wish I had more patience for it because I am sure there are some fun 'clues' and images I am missing out on. Reminds me a bit of my December read of 'the 10,000 doors of january'...the artwork is beautiful and the story alluring enough but its time to pass this along. Hoping my reading buddy Mary wants it!
Debra
Nov 12, 2008 added it
Intriguing, beautifully illustrated & full of romance. What more could you want. ...more
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
a very different book. brilliant artistic experience .. the climax leaves you unsettled
Noel Brady
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Achingly romantic. I am utterly mesmerized every time I read this even after so many years.
Kim
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 ⭐️s
PatrickCS
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Laura S
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my second reading, the first time being over 10 years ago. I loved the concept of reading a book through letters, postcards, and artwork. Some of the letters were real that you would pull out of an envelope and the postcards were just represented on the page. The artwork was beautiful but somewhat dark reminiscent of Dali.

The story left me with a lot of questions. Was Sabine (the mysterious woman who lived on an island in the South Pacific and could see Griffin's art telepathically) re
Kimberly Basso
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: something-extra
It's the 25th Anniversary of Nick Bantock's "The Griffin and Sabine Trilogy" - a gorgeous and "extraordinary correspondence." A truly voyeuristic look into the characters lives - as the pair discover each other, you discover them by taking out and reading letters and postcards complete with envelopes and stamps. It's a physical experience of the book, a rare thing for an adult. A mystery, a love story, an unreliable narrator - Mr. Bantock is an intriguing storyteller and artist (he is the illust ...more
Jenni Bader
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such an unusual and thoroughly enjoyable trilogy that I almost don't mind that it ends in as much mystery as it began. Each postcard and letter is a miniature work of art, a pleasure to the eye as well as to the mind. I'll be ordering the second trilogy, The Morning Star Trilogy, as well as The Pharos Gate soon.

In the meantime, I'm considering how I might use the idea of a series of correspondences for a personal project that could become a writing assignment for my high school studens
Roybot
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 stars pushed up to 4 for the beautiful presentation. The letters and post cards are delightful and well designed, and the whole package makes for a really interesting reading experience, but (view spoiler) ...more
Sandy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
This boxed trilogy sat on my shelf for over 20 years without my even pulling out a book. Just finished all three. Hmmm. I must not be on the same intellectual level as all who reviewed it so highly. I did enjoy pulling out and reading all the correspondence but otherwise.... not even enough of a huge fan to search out book 4.
BOOK BOOKS
LOL SPEAKING OF COLOR CODED/TACTILE BOOKS, HAVE ANY MEMERS READ THE GRIFFIN AND SABINE BOOKS? I WAS GIVEN SOME AS A GIFT WHEN I WAS TOO YOUNG TO UNDERSTAND MOST OF THEM, HONESTLY, BUT ILED TAKING THOSE LETTERS OUT AND I'M THINKING I SHOULD READ THEM AGAIN. I NEVER FINISHED THE SERIES.

I HAD A FRAND WHO WAS RLY INTO THOSE WHEN I WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, BUT I NEVER READ THEM MYSELF.
Jane Miller
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different style of book that I enjoyed reading. It is a love story told entirely through letters and postcards sent between two people who have not yet met. It is necessary to suspend belief to appreciate the story line.
Donna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this trilogy used....it's in great shape, which is wonderful because the artwork and creativity is fabulous. I don't think it would be nearly as good without the physical books. There isn't much of a story, but who cares?
Tiina
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very creative concept, beautifully put together, artistic. The relationship between the characters is philosophical and ethereal. These have been my favorites for a long while.
Wendy
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is reread (found read date in diary)
Exceptional Books: Griffin and Sabine Trilogy 7 32 Feb 19, 2012 12:42PM
Maine Book Chatters: Griffin and Sabine Trilogy 1 4 Dec 30, 2011 08:19AM

• Lichens of the North Woods
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • Suffering and the Heart of God: How Trauma Destroys and Christ Restores
  • Botany for Artists
  • Ferns of Northeastern and Central North America
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • Mosses, Liverworts, and Hornworts: A Field Guide to the Common Bryophytes of the Northeast
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Weather: North America
  • Whole Grain Baking Made Easy: Craft Delicious, Healthful Breads, Pastries, Desserts, and More - Including a Comprehensive Guide to Grinding Grains
  • School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together.
  • Jedes Kind kann schlafen lernen (ObersteBrink Eltern-Bibliothek)
  • Without Feathers
  • Memoirs Of A Mangy Lover
  • Wilt (Wilt, #1)
  • X-Men: Fall of the Mutants Omnibus
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • Memoirs of a Geisha (Penguin Readers)
  • Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table
Nick was schooled in England and has a BA in Fine Art (painting). He has authored 25 books, 11 of which have appeared on the best seller lists, including 3 books on the New York Times top ten at one time. ‘Griffin and Sabine’ stayed on that list for over two years. His works have been translated into 13 languages and over 5 million have been sold worldwide. Once named by the classic SF magazine We ...more

Griffin & Sabine (7 books)
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
  • Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine #2)
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine #3)
  • The Gryphon: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Is Rediscovered (Morning Star Trilogy, #1)
  • Alexandria: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Unfolds (Morning Star Trilogy, #2)
  • The Morning Star: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine is Illuminated (Morning Star Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Lost Correspondence (Griffin and Sabine Series, Chronicles of Griffin and Sabine)