Start by marking “The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy

The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy

(Griffin & Sabine #1-3)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  2,676 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
With more than two million copies in print, Nick Bantock's trilogy of romantic intrigue is now available as a set, beautifully packaged in an illustrated slipcase created by the author. A lovely gift for those new to the saga of the mysterious lovers, this distinctive collection also makes an enduring keepsake for devoted fans.
Published November 1st 1994 by Chronicle Books (first published September 1st 1993)

Tisha
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
ধরুন আপনি একদিন একটা পোসটকারড পেলেন সমপূরণ অচেনা একজনের কাছ থেকে, যিনি সেই পোসটকারডে এমন একটি ঘটনার কথা উললেখ করেছেন যা আপনি ছাড়া আর কারও জানবার কথা না। কি অনুভূতি হবে আপনার তখন?

গরিফিন নামের আঁকিয়ে ভদরলোকের সাথে ঠিক এমন কিছুই ঘটেছিলো। দূর এক দবীপ থেকে হঠাৎ পাওয়া একটা পোসটকারড এবং তার মধযে দিয়েই সেবিনের সাথে তার পরিচয়। তিনি চেনেন না, জানেন না সেবিনকে। কিনতু তার সমপরকে অনেক কিছুই সেবিন জানে এবং তা পোসটকারডের পেছনে লিখে পাঠায়। কৌতূহলবশত গরিফিনও তাকে উততর দেয় পোসটকারডের মাধযমে। এভাবেই পোসটকারড আদান
Sue
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, fantasy, read-in-2012
This one-of-a-kind trilogy has been waiting for me on my book shelf, moving from one apartment to the next. How could I have waited so long to read this. It's an amazing concept, so beautifully and cleverly done.
Fox
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These books formed a very large portion of my childhood. My mom used to read them to me, at a maddeningly slow pace. Each night when I was heading to bed she'd come into my room and we'd painstakingly remove a letter from its envelope. We'd spend nearly as much time looking over the drawings, the postcards, just the gorgeous artwork of each piece. Then the letter would be read.

It was a magical experience, and one I ended up repeating on my own when I was old enough. I spend just as much time ex
Nikki Stafford
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know how to describe these books. It's probably the most unique reading experience you'll ever have, with a story so elusive and yet tangible it defies description. Sabine is a woman in the South Pacific who sends a postcard to Griffin asking for some of his artwork, but he has no idea who she is. Then she reveals a shocking connection the two of them have, and through their letters that span the rest of the book and the two sequels that follow, they fall in love, but keep missing e ...more
Carolyn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A series of epistolary novels containing the correspondence between Sabine living on an south seas island and Griffin in England. They are both artists and the letters and postcards contain the most exquisite art work, from the gorgeous, and realistic to the macabre and surrealistic. A long distance love grows passionately between these two but they seem doomed to never meet in person. There are elements of supernatural and it seems they are living in parallel worlds. It is a great pleasure to r ...more
SandyFrom Nj
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books have beautiful eclectic illustrations. This love story is told within their postcards and letters. It was fun to open and read someone else's correspondence.
Karen
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I've been meaning to read these for years. I was very glad I had all three books on hand, since the first two each end on such abrupt cliffhangers.

I loved the premise of taking an epistolary novel to the next level -- the sense of discovery as you match the postcard images to their text, and take each letter out of its envelope, is quite delightful.

The illustrations are, of course, phenomenal.

I also loved the premise of the story, the journey the author takes us on, and the poetic allusions an
Kelly
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is written in a very unique way. There are letters and postcards in these three books and it makes you feel as if you are secretly reading another person's letters. Throughout the whole trilogy I was hoping Griffin and Sabine would finally meet and complete each others lives, but there is a twist. Neither of them can be with each other and nobody really knows why. In the end, I think they seem to find a way to be with each other. If that is true it's probably because their affection f ...more
Jenifer
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
My review echoes so many others; Haunting, compellingly told, achingly romantic, and beautifully illustrated. BUT. There aren't many readers who will put up with so much unresolved - everything. When so much is left unexplained, the reader finds herself feeling like she's been taken for a ride. Manipulated and left hanging out to dry. It's hard not to be frustrated at the end of this.

I'm a big fan of lovers from parallel universes; two of my favorite movies ever; "Somewhere In Time" and "Lady Ha
Charlie
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I was a bit disappointed by these, to be honest; I'd been wanting to read them for years, but they didn't match up with my expectations. Very short, though; I read all three in less than five hours, and got more caught up in things as it went on. They are fun, and I hope to pass them on to someone who will enjoy them as much as, or hopefully more than, I did. They seem like something that ought to be shared.
Noel Brady
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Achingly romantic. I am utterly mesmerized every time I read this even after so many years.
Debra
Nov 12, 2008 added it
Intriguing, beautifully illustrated & full of romance. What more could you want.
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
a very different book. brilliant artistic experience .. the climax leaves you unsettled
Kim Pocock
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 ⭐s ...more
PatrickCS
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my second reading, the first time being over 10 years ago. I loved the concept of reading a book through letters, postcards, and artwork. Some of the letters were real that you would pull out of an envelope and the postcards were just represented on the page. The artwork was beautiful but somewhat dark reminiscent of Dali.

The story left me with a lot of questions. Was Sabine (the mysterious woman who lived on an island in the South Pacific and could see Griffin's art telepathically) re
Jane Miller
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different style of book that I enjoyed reading. It is a love story told entirely through letters and postcards sent between two people who have not yet met. It is necessary to suspend belief to appreciate the story line.
Donna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this trilogy used....it's in great shape, which is wonderful because the artwork and creativity is fabulous. I don't think it would be nearly as good without the physical books. There isn't much of a story, but who cares?
Candice Baxter
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book in the US. It inspired me so much, I found the other two at a bookstore in Paris and carried them around in my backpack as I travelled Europe for a summer. Wonderful to have the beautiful art and story on my journey.
Tiina
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very creative concept, beautifully put together, artistic. The relationship between the characters is philosophical and ethereal. These have been my favorites for a long while.
Becky
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad I finally read the complete series. Such an interesting and beautiful work of art.
John
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jungian Ergodic Episletlary Love Letters

This is more of an experience and atmospheric aesthetic than an actual story.
Traci
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has been many years since I read these books for the first time. I still love the concept, the art and the storytelling. So creative!
Lorraine
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this trilogy. I loved discussing all the angles with other readers
Wendy
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is reread (found read date in diary)
Debra
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I reread Griffin and Sabine and loved it as much as I did when I read it over 30 years ago!!!! The artwork is lovely as is the story.
Kathy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
pop up books for grown ups - so delightful
Primo Flores
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
So, my wife went on Holiday overseas, I felt lonely, and purchased a couple of books to keep my mind busy, I bought the first book of the trilogy because I like sending/recieving postcards, I'm one of those dudes that still uses the postal service, I actually send postcards to my mom periodically, it feels very personal to write stuff instead of just talking about it or video conferencing, it has more meaning and lately I even let my kid scribble stuff on them giving it an extra special touch.
A
Bethany
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three and a half to four stars.

The artwork pushes my rating up by at least a star. Bantock had me at "pop-up book of fake letters," and the illustrations are lovely. The plotline is bit thin, which is less annoying if you think of this trilogy as simply a chance to spy on other people's correspondence, but is undeniably frustrating if you are hoping for answers to all the questions raised in the first volume. What's perhaps the most unsatisfying is that this story builds over three books and th
Elaine
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of intrigue
It's like pulling teeth to get me to read a mystery . . . and I always love them when they're done, but it's that during part, the quickening heart beat, the curiosity just dangling in front of me, that really makes me cringe at the thought of even picking one up. But this book held a special sort of curious place in my mind; I'd been forbidden to read it since I was a child, in fear it would get ruined because you actually get to pull letters out of envelopes and unfold them to read what appear ...more
Exceptional Books: Griffin and Sabine Trilogy 7 32 Feb 19, 2012 12:42PM
Maine Book Chatters: Griffin and Sabine Trilogy 1 4 Dec 30, 2011 08:19AM
  • The Tattooed Map
  • Varmints
  • Oz, Complete Collection, Volume 1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz / The Marvelous Land of Oz / Ozma of Oz
  • Extraordinary Chickens
  • Abandonment
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History
  • Dreams of Dreams and the Last Three Days of Fernando Pessoa
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • Moon Man
  • Commentary
  • Pink Elephant
  • Le gentil petit diable et autres contes de la rue Broca
Nick was schooled in England and has a BA in Fine Art (painting). He has authored 25 books, 11 of which have appeared on the best seller lists, including 3 books on the New York Times top ten at one time. ‘Griffin and Sabine’ stayed on that list for over two years. His works have been translated into 13 languages and over 5 million have been sold worldwide. Once named by the classic SF magazine We ...more

Griffin & Sabine (7 books)
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
  • Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine #2)
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine #3)
  • The Gryphon: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Is Rediscovered (Morning Star Trilogy, #1)
  • Alexandria: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Unfolds (Morning Star Trilogy, #2)
  • The Morning Star: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine is Illuminated (Morning Star Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Lost Correspondence