Start by marking “Three Against the Tide” as Want to Read:
Three Against the Tide

Three Against the Tide

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Civil War truly hits home when Susanna's father is called to help the Confederate Army. Twelve-year-old Susanna is placed in charge of the family's South Carolina plantation and her two younger brothers. Then the Yankee soldiers invade their island, forcing Susanna and her brothers Neddie and Samuel to escape to their other home in Charleston.

When a fire destroys thei
Published July 11th 2000 by Yearling (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Three Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Against the Tide

LobsterQuadrille
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children interested in historical fiction
I wanted to like this Civil War historical fiction book more than I did, but it didn't turn out to be quite what I'd expected. The synopsis on the back was unfortunately misleading: part of it says "Throughout their dangerous journey, she can't help questioning the traditions her family and most Southerners have been fighting to protect. Maybe it's time to turn against the tide."

To me, this synopsis made it sound like the main character, Susanna, would be forced by her circumstances to questi
Savannah Stripling
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
When the Civil War broke out in Susanna's hometown, Susanna's dad had to leave to spy on the Yankees. While he was gone, Susanna and her brothers, Neddy and Sammy, stayed alone in their father's big mansion. While they were staying there, Neddy got a terrible sickness. While he was sick, all of their servants had abandoned them which meant they were all alone. Finally, the Yankees had reached their homeland and Susanna and her brothers had to leave quickly. On their mini adventures, riding on bo ...more
Katie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was okay, though I found myself getting aggravated by Susanna and her brothers. To be fair to the book, it does indicate that Susanna's choice to leave Charleston and attempt to find General Lee may not have been the wisest. And it is probably more realistic to have Susannah's feelings in a turmoil at the end.

However, I've read better Civil War books - I would recommend the Dear America/My Name is America books. Or a few others. This might be a good introductory book, and it moves quickly, b
Miss Amanda
gr 5-7 158 pgs

early Civil War, South Carolina. 12 year old Susanna and her younger brothers Ned and Sammy find themselves on their own when the Yankees ivade their island home of Tarapin Island. Together, they must make the dangerous journey to Charleston. They hope to be reunited with their father there when he returns from his mission for the Conderate army.

Great adventure story. Provides information about the war without going into too much detail.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Children from a plantation escape the burning of Charleston during the Civil War.
Lauren
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got this book to read to the kids, but ended up really enjoying it myself. I have a great love for Southern fiction and history and this was both.
Tanya Cannizzo
Jun 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
Q
Nicole
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this a while back when I was really interested in Children's Fiction about the American Civil War. It was real cute.
Mary L.
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of the things seemed a little improbable, but it kept your interest. I liked the idea of a girl who wanted to be a doctor.
Julie
Cassi
Jul 22, 2009
Leona  Carstairs
May 06, 2017
I was born in western Tennessee, the eldest of four children. My father was a lover of books who taught me to read even before I started school. My mother was (and still is!) the world’s best mom and a lover of music who sang in the kitchen as she taught me to cook.

I enjoyed playing games and riding bikes but my favorite activity was reading. Among my favorite authors were Lois Lenski, Louisa May
More about D. Anne Love