Start by marking “From Borsch to Burgers: A Cross-Cultural Memoir” as Want to Read:
From Borsch to Burgers: A Cross-Cultural Memoir

From Borsch to Burgers: A Cross-Cultural Memoir

This singular memoir from one of Ukraine's new literary lights tracks her journey from a little girl toiling in the potato fields of the Soviet Union to the shiny but sometimes foreign new world of America. Ruslana's From Borsch to Burgers elegantly and humorously captures her gleeful yet puzzling journey through new foods, customs, language, and love. Her message of ...more
Published August 5th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about From Borsch to Burgers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Borsch to Burgers

Start your review of From Borsch to Burgers: A Cross-Cultural Memoir
Tim
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruslana chronicles her experience of growing up in Ukraine and moving to the US with humor and an authentic love of languages, cultures, and people. An immigrant story told in an unfortunate era of American history when we seem to have forgotten that we are an immigrant people. This book may also introduce some readers to a country with a rich culture and history that continues to live in the uncomfortable shadow of Russia.
Carolyn Schott
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book on so many different levels.

As a traveler who loves to explore other cultures, I enjoyed getting a fresh glimpse of my own American culture through the eyes of someone seeing it for the first time. And although I think Im fairly culturally astute, I gained new insights about how some of my Americanisms may come across in other cultures.

As an amateur history buff (and family historian), I loved Ruslanas desire to write down her stories and memories. In doing that, she gives all
Sharon Besser
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From Borsch to Burgers does everything a memoir should do- teach, entertain, and most importantly get us to reflect on our lives. Ruslanas storytelling is masterful, full of rich details that alternate between the delightful and the horrifying, all of which we learn was her reality of growing up in Ukraine in the shadow of the Soviet Union. Like many who grew up in the United States, I had no concept of what it is like to live under a Communist Regime and found this fascinating. While I found ...more
Nadia Meyer
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great read!

Living in the U.S. for almost 20 years, Id say Im pretty Americanized, yet I can still identify the cultural differences between me and my American family and friends. Ruslanas book made me look at this from a different angle - I dont have to be only the one or the other - either Russian or American. I can be both.

From Borsch to Burgers is a story about how to fit in, and at the same time how to remain unique and carry a piece of your own culture with you. Even though our
Suzy Khoury
Must read. Living in different cultures and finding identity is the life story of Ruslana. She invites you into her world and walks you through the journey of her childhood under the Soviet regime all the way to achieving the American dream. I used the book this semester in my Intercultural Organizational Communication class. I highly recommend it to professors, college students, and any reader who is interested in a better understanding of multiculturalism.
Mary Hoffman
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed reading this memoir from my undergrad ESL professor, Ruslana Westerlund. She taught me my first words in Ukrainian and Russian, and helped me along my journey to becoming an English Learners teacher. Today, the majority of my students' families are from former Soviet countries and Russia. Who would have guessed?!
Her book is available on Amazon. It's a great read! RuslanaWesterlund.com

In Borsch to Burgers, Ruslana takes us on a heartfelt journey through her life, from her
Motria
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From Borsch to Burgers has something new and interesting for everyone. Mainstream Americans can learn about the immigrant experience and life in the faraway country of Ukraine. As a Ukrainian-American, I heard echoes of my father's immigrant story and I was intrigued to learn what my life might have been like had my elders not left. Ruslana assimilated into the U.S. without the safety net of a diaspora community, but with the benefit of perfect English. She has a unique take on Midwestern ...more
Christine Frei
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruslana invites us into her family and her journey with honesty, clarity and laughter. A thoughtful examination of her experiences and how those experiences have shaped her life thus far. Loved seeing the world through her lens of experience.
Alexandra K. Borregaard

• The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children
  • Beautiful Ruins
  • Narkomania: Drugs, Hiv, and Citizenship in Ukraine
  • Digging to America
  • What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food
  • An Untamed State
  • Post Office
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Hey, Kiddo
  • Loving Frank
  • About Face: The Life and Times of Dottie Ponedel, Make-up Artist to the Stars
  • Jell-o Recipe Book
  • Lucky Me: My Life With--and Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America
  • Getting the Love You Want : A Guide for Couples