Start by marking “Making Our Way Home: The Great Migration and the Black American Dream” as Want to Read:
Making Our Way Home: The Great Migration and the Black American Dream

Making Our Way Home: The Great Migration and the Black American Dream

A powerful illustrated history of the Great Migration and its sweeping impact on Black and American culture, from Reconstruction to the rise of hip hop.

Over the course of six decades, an unprecedented wave of Black Americans left the South and spread across the nation in search of a better life--a migration that sparked stunning demographic and cultural changes in
Published January 14th 2020 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Making Our Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Our Way Home

Start your review of Making Our Way Home: The Great Migration and the Black American Dream
Megan Sanks
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was vaguely aware of the history in this book, but Imani did a wonderful job of fleshing it out and providing details I never learned about, such as how the Black Panther Party fought for disability rights. Also the illustrations were beautiful!
Miriam
A twentieth century history of the African-American Great Migration, the author focuses on politics and crimes against Blacks in the Southern states. Imani connects this historic migration to her own family. Both Imani and Khan-Cullors (who reads the foreword) recount historic events within their grandmothers’ lifetime.

The book simply and superficially explains how and why Black Americans moved across the country and the panoply of lawsuits that are part and parcel of the Civil Rights Movement.
Tracey
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book belongs in every school/classroom library. It compiles so many important figures and events in American history related to "The Great Migration and the Black American Dream." It gives you enough information so you know you have learned something, but it also makes you want to read to learn more. Luckily there is an amazing bibliography and a glossary. Those two resources alone make me want to have a copy of my own (or to put in my classroom library). The illustrations are so gorgeous ...more
Miguel
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite quickly it became apparent that this was a YA book, which is fine but not really my thing. So I continued listening in the context of whether I would strongly recommend it to my YA nephew and I couldn’t quite get to a resounding ‘must-read’ status for him. It’s OK – it covers a lot of ground with a lot of brief biographies. It’s all fine if not overly educational. Again, I thought I was going to be reading a story about the diaspora to the North from Southern states in the early 20th ...more
Erin
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The book was a good overview of Black history in America, but it seemed like the author was trying to do too much at once. There was a lot of breadth, but not a lot of depth. While I appreciated the author's attempt to be all inclusive, at times it seemed like she'd just taken a course on intersectionality and was carelessly mentioning any and all minority groups without any attempt at adding substance. A good overview, but probably more useful as a bibliography to get to more interesting ...more
Jabria
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-n-haul
I bought this for my nephew, but it's definitely staying at my house. Black history laid out out in an informative and engaging way. Me and my nephew both learned some new things from reading this, and he walked away with his head held a little bit higher.
Sarp
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. It should be on every shelf in North America. A black history reference that is as accessible as it is in-depth. Highly recommended, especially during Black history month!
Davey Cook
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book.. it’s a good read and very informative... will be using it in my classroom this semester.. love the writing and love the illustrations... Bravo...we need a part 2
Benjamin Watt
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Insightful and inspiring, especially coming from a generation that will one day lead the world. Thankful for the stories told and perspectives shared in this piece!
Mo
It took me a little while to trust each point would circle back to the Great Migration, but the number of connections Blair Imani made clear in a v. short book was breathtaking. I think this would be an excellent selection for families with older children and teenagers to read or listen to together.

CN: racist violence, including slavery and lynchings
Keith Brubaker
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Scholarly

Enjoyable and interesting, in the style of a well written school assignment. I enjoyed the introduction especially. There is so much tantalizing material mentioned. I would like the author to tell them, it, in story from.
Jackson Benzick
Feb 25, 2020
Barb Atwood
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2020

• Locke & Key, Vol. 5: Clockworks
  • The Stonewall Reader
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • The Ship of Dreams: The Sinking of the Titanic and the End of the Edwardian Era
  • The Scientist and the Spy: A True Story of China, the FBI, and Industrial Espionage
  • The Great Society