Start by marking “Threading the Labyrinth” as Want to Read:
Threading the Labyrinth

Threading the Labyrinth

American owner of a failing gallery, Toni, is unexpectedly called to England when she inherits a manor house in Hertfordshire from a mysterious lost relative.

What she really needs is something valuable to sell, so she can save her business. But, leaving the New Mexico desert behind, all she finds is a crumbling building, overgrown gardens, and a wealth of historical paperw
Published April 13th 2020 by Unsung Stories

To ask other readers questions about Threading the Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threading the Labyrinth

Start your review of Threading the Labyrinth
T.O. Munro
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(The following review first appeared on the fantasy-hive website)

Threading the Labyrinth is an unusual work of fantasy fiction. The simplest handle on it might be to say that it is like a grown-up development Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce, a book from my own childhood about a boy who finds that when the clock strikes thirteen rather than midnight he can pass from the dull 1950s experience of an old house into its glorious heyday at the end of the Victorian era and discover new friends
Katherine Stansfield
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel of gardens, history and ghosts. The story is intriguing, unfurling as the reader spends time in the garden at the heart of the novel and meets the people whose lives have intersected with this magical place - some are born there, others spend only short periods amid the garden 'rooms' and shifting paths (a WWII land girl, a mid C19th artist). The garden is both an intense, heady space - physically debilitating at times - and also unknowable, amorphous, not adherin ...more
Susan
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really immersive story. Loved winding my way through the history of the walled garden via the lives of those who lived and worked there. Everyone intertwined with the magical properties of the garden and the layers of (ghostly) lives and experiences that made the place what it was (and is). You do not have to be a keen gardener or know a lot about plants and flowers (I certainly don't) to enjoy this book. The descriptions are wonderfully and thoughtfully done; the characters are totally believab ...more
Doreen
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm at the stage of the stay-at-home order where I'm craving beauty but am too tired to do the gardening or art that I want to -- homeschooling special needs 6 year-old twins is really, really hard, and God bless my 9 year-old for being remarkably fuss-free. So for these difficult times, a novel like Tiffani Angus' Threading The Labyrinth is the perfect balm. Featuring the beauty of gardens and art without skimping on what exhausting, difficult work they can be to create and maintain, it's a ter ...more
James
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language was lush and pretty, the plot knotted and confusing. Read for atmosphere.
David Harris
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm grateful to Unsung Stories for an advance copy of Threading the Labyrinth.

The premise of Threading the Labyrinth is simple. Toni Hammond, who owns a struggling gallery in Santa Fe, is surprised to inherit a crumbling manor house and overgrown garden in Hertfordshire, England. Investigating - might there be some money here that can rescue her business? - she finds no cash, but rather that the place holds impressions of many stories taking place over hundreds of years. It's hard for her to und
Jenni
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Theo
Mar 25, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars because for Goodreads that is 'I liked it' while 4 is 'I really liked it' and unfortunately despite being really well written I only liked it. What it does brilliantly is evoke a strong sense of unease and ghostliness, while being able to give us many different well-rounded characters. If Tiffani Angus sets out to write something to dips more into horror I'd be interested to read it.

Unfortunately I found the structure hard to really dig into. We have four historical narratives threaded
Ian
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An American arts dealer is left an historic stately English home. Despite her flailing business she jets off to look at the house to see what she can do with it, uncovering some ghostly secrets at the time.

Had real mixed feelings about this. It's a well written and constructed book and the moments set in the present I really enjoyed. But the bulk of the book is set in various periods of past history in and around the house and gardens and quite frankly they really bored me. A couple of them beca
Nat
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall this is a stunning story, full of beautiful descriptions of magical places. This story shows how we're closer to our forbears than we think and that the space between here and there really isn't very far at all; we're/they're just a whisper away.

I found I lost my way a couple of times about three-quarters of the way through but I back-tracked a little and found my way through the forest of time.

This is a page turner and if you're reading at night time have a clear time in your mind of h
Dan Bassett
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Toni, the American owner of a failing Art gallery, finds herself unexpectedly in possession of a crumbling Manor House along with its land and gardens.
Upon heading over to see what she has apparently inherited, all she finds is crumbling walls, a building that has seen better days and many an overgrown garden.
Soon she finds herself steeped in the history of the house: gardens that seem to change, ghosts of many forgotten people, and figures that keep shifting from her vision.
Just how far back do
Therése Åström
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I started this book, going in without knowing anything. It turned out to be a great story about a garden filled with ghosts. I loved all the flowers and garden talk, I loved how it jumped through different times (although in my kindle version it became a bit confusing at times - I've ordered the paperback and think that it'll be a bit clearer in that format), and I love the thought of time, the living and the dead, coexisting.
I got some really strong The Secret Garden vibes from the descriptions
Patricia Miller
A labyrinth indeed

I don’t know how to describe this book, nor do I know how to rate it. They were images called up that put you right in the garden but so much of it was a ephemeral and fleeting. Perhaps that is what the author intended and I can see that this style would be popular with many people.
Amber
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, immersive reading experience. Each period of time’s narrative was vivid and layered more significance and nostalgia upon the garden. By the time I finished, the garden had become so real to me it felt like I was saying goodbye to a beloved vacation spot in order to return to mundane reality. A great book to escape into.
C
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stories & historical insights

Loved this book with the mini stories & changing narrators. So beautifully written I could see & smell the walled garden. Have bought copies for christmas presents!
Wendy Jackson
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I loved this book so much it gave me a book hangover. It's described as Children of Green Knowe for adults which was my favourite childhood book. It really is exactly that! ...more
Neveah
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A really magical read - eerie, enthralling and odd. I was absolutely gripped by this. Wonderful first novel.
Jonathan Oliver
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A pastoral and horticultural fantasy with gothic elements that chime beautifully with the numinous sense that runs throughout. Haunting without being frightening. Alluring and ethereal.
Katie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous descriptions of the gardens. You will feel like you're lost in there yourself. Great story. I enjoyed it very much! ...more
Ellen
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to start my review by saying check out the gorgeous cover for this book! This current pandemic situation has brought out my inner gardener so I was intrigued by this ghost story set in and around the gardens of a crumbling manor.

The main character Toni, is the owner of a failing gallery in America. She is unexpectedly called to England when she inherits a manor house in Hertfordshire from a mysterious lost relative. A crumbling manor with overgrown gardens is exactly what she doesn’t need
Janice Lovett
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I personally could not put this book down. Threading the Labyrinth is a beautifully written debut novel by author, Tiffani Angus. The knowledge and detail of gardens was impressive and the way that she weaves her tale was skillfully intricate. Each story could stand alone, but was instead threaded together in a mesmerizing story of a garden and those who have spent time within its walls.

I look forward to reading Ms. Angus’s future writings.
Kathleen Woodworth
Jan 12, 2021
Leslie
Sep 19, 2020
Amanda
rated it did not like it
Nov 09, 2020

• Swastika Night
  • The Traveler's Guide to Classical Philosophy
  • Bruno's Dream
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2
  • The Siege (The Siege, #1)
  • The Mushroom at the End of the World: On the Possibility of Life in Capitalist Ruins
  • Orbiting Jupiter
  • The Housekeeper and the Professor
  • The Palace of Love (Demon Princes, #3)
  • Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram
  • The Test
  • Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation
  • Minor Mage
  • Death of a Blueberry Tart (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #12)
  • Dark Waters (Monica Kennedy #2)
  • Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
Tiffani Angus is the author of Threading the Labyrinth, a historical fantasy novel about a garden that holds on to time--like Children of Green Knowe but for adults--out from Unsung Stories and available at bookshops and online. She is also a Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing and Publishing, Course Leader for the MA Creative Writing, Co-Course Leader for the MA Publishing, and General Director o ...more