Start by marking “Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye: True stories from the case files of Warren Olson” as Want to Read:

Two-timing bargirls, suspicious spouses, and lesbian lovers'--it was all in a day's work for Bangkok Private Eye Warren Olson. Fluent in Thai and Khmer, Olson walked the mean streets of Bangkok and was able to go where other Private Eyes feared to tread. The stories are based on Olson's case files, fictionalized (to protect the innocent, and the guilty) by bestselling auth ...more
Published July 15th 2006 by Monsoon Books Pte. Ltd. (first published January 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye

P-eggy
If I had to use one word to sum up this book, it would be 'lacklustre'. But that's not strictly fair as I only read the first story and attempted to read and maintain interest in the second but failed.

What is interesting in pursuing a woman and her suspected lover, catching them in the act and taking a pic for the cuckolded husband? Maybe that he is pursued by men on motorbikes for reasons that have nothing to do with the situation but no one knows anyway?

The second story was worse. I can't eve
Петър Стойков
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Така, значи разбрахме се, че в Тайланд мацките правят секс за пари и изобщо не ги е срам от това:

Та всички тия западни туристи, дето им идват на гости толкова са свикнали сексът за пари да е нещо презряно и нечисто, че не могат да повярват, че чаровните дребнички тайландки ги чукат за 15-те долара, които те им дават. Не, тая симпатична студентка трябва наистина да ме обича, барабар с 60 годишното ми космато белгийско шкембе, поради което тя е любовта на жи
Justin
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read, not too dark, not too heavy, but still perfectly sleazy Noir. I grew up reading mystery novels - locked door puzzles and cozies as a kid, and then hard-boiled noir mysteries as I got older. Then as I began to travel the world, I once again fell in love with the mystery genre, especially those novels set in exotic locales.

This is not a Mystery novel - rather, it is thinly fictionalized True Crime. However, there is a lot here for hard-boiled mystery fans to love. Tropical sett
Francesco Bifera
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING READ!!!!!! this is truly a great story through out many situations in in which encountered in Thailand from a Private Eye Detective. It is really enjoyable and wants you reading more, such a great eye opener as to what happens outside the standard tourist though of the country. I couldn't no get enough of the short stories and various situations. Great read if you have been to the country as you can get a better understanding of the descriptions, however great for all who enjoy a excitin ...more
Warren Olson
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: thailand, true-crime
Pleased that as intended, this book has become something of a Thailand trials and tribulations classic -
While some may doubt, I assure you every case/incident is true and basically as it happened.
Stephen Leather weaved some magic with colourful characterisatiom and great descriptions -
Some vague Movie interest .... we can but hope !
A follow up book THAI PRIVATE EYE is more about the planning and actual day to day running of my former Thai Investigation Company.

Kerry
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was quite entertaining in parts but also quite sad as well. It was an interesting discussion of Thai bar life and tourism and also an interesting look into the psyche of middle aged male tourists. Quite repetitive in style at times but I enjoyed the insight into Thai life that was displayed in between the stories.
Nicki
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining, but somewhat misogynistic reading. I enjoyed the stories about investigating (mostly) cheating, lying partners and it was interesting to learn a little about Thai culture. What I didn’t enjoy was the comments about women being two baggers (as in, need two bags over their heads to be done by these charmers) and the investigator’s comments about which women he wouldn’t kick out of bed and (shudder) his own exploits with the bargirls.
Admittedly, the tourists don’t come out of it much
David A.Burris
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Hard boiled, very funny and a little scary in the way it reveals the dark underbelly of the land of smiles. A bit too singular in his choice of stories to share... mostly all about bar-girls ripping off farangs... but still made for fascinating reading.
Rashad Pharaon
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may need to re-think my lax grading after reading this book, which clearly deserves 5 stars and which dwarfs other 5 star reads I've recently graded.

Stephen Leather is an expert author, given the fact he's written over 20+ novels (and the experience shows). His pacing is impeccable, and his wit not overplayed like many modern-day PI novels.

This is a collection of short stories, or cases, which may seem repetitively monotonous to some, but to lovers of Thailand and detective stories, a true joy
Warren Olson
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thailand
Some vague Movie interest .... we can but hope !
Aile Creed
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my very favourite book from Warren Olsen - it is a very interesting and very entertaining book from his investigating days in Thailand. If you are interested to know more about Thailand's night life, how bar girls operate there, and especially if you are involved with a Thai lady, then i recommend this book very highly.
Lindsey
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Very repetitive, but each story was entertaining. As someone who has lived in Thailand, it was very relatable and a fun read. A good cautionary tale for anyone thinking about going into business in Thailand or dating a bargirl.
Sean
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book even though the nature of the author's work (PI investigations into bargirls) means that some chapters can take on a repetitive feel. Recommended to people interested in SE Asia, Thailand, crime, and the challenges of certain Asian/Western relationships.
Cindy C
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asia
Well this is the book must be read by any guys who's having a long distance relationship with a Thai gf. If you wanna know what they did back there and if u r thinking about having one,you should read this book...you might be surprised of the turnout..
Justin Howe
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Extremely trashy, compulsively readable.
Sari Parviainen
I think this is not so bad in case you have been in Bangkok
Bobby_G
Good read. The dark streets of Bangkok come alive in Warren's narrative.
Paul Vye
Jan 02, 2018
James
Jul 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more