Start by marking “The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color” as Want to Read:
The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color

The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color

It’s time to ditch harmful, outdated beauty standards and build real, lasting body positivity. It's time for a self-love revolution!

Every day we see movies, magazines, and social media that make us feel like we need to change how we look. This takes a toll on how we think about ourselves—and how we allow others to treat us. And while many teens feel shame about their body,
Published May 1st 2020 by Instant Help

To ask other readers questions about The Self-Love Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self-Love Revolution

Start your review of The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color
Sharah McConville
The Self- Love Revolution is a self-help book that promotes body positivity in young women. I'm not exactly young (38!) but still found this book inspiring and interesting. I hadn't heard of this author before but now know she is well known in USA as a leading expert on weight based discrimination. I especially loved the paragraph "Hating ourselves takes up a lot of energy and time. Imagine all the stuff you'd get done if you didn't feel self-conscious or worried about what other people think... ...more
Natalie
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is a fabulous book for any detail of any age (although the cover seems to imply its for teens). It's never too late and your never too old to discover self love or love yourself entirely inside and out.
This book has some fantastic information within it and I loved the journal prompts which really made me sit and think and approach things in different ways.
I urge all wo
Dawn Ferencz
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book could be a great resource for a young women's discussion group, but please know that it does include discussion of the following possibly triggering topics: hatred of one's own body, eating disorders, self-harm, sexual abuse, and fatphobia.

"That's what it means to be a human.  That's what it means to show up.  Not to strive for perfection, but to know that everything we could ever need lives inside us."
Tamara Evans
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Although “The Self-Love Revolution” is a book whose target audience are teen girls of color, I feel that the Tovar’s words can also heavily resonate with women of color as well.

“The Self-Love Revolution” is a part of a book series called “Instant Help Solutions” and is written especially for teens and offers practical tips and strategies for dealing with a variety of mental health issues and life challenges.

The book consists of an introduction, sixteen chapters divided into three parts, and an c
Krysten Bailey
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really great read. Educational and the personality of the author really shines through. There’s journal prompts after each chapter. Definitely challenged me to think different about myself and it’s always a good reminder to have defined things like sexism and fat phobia. Everyone’s opinions and experiences matter and the more I learn the better I can be an advocate for myself and others.
Mandy Hazen
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book I noticed it was a self love book pointed towards teenagers. I struggle with self image and self love so I figured it wouldn’t hurt. And wow I am so glad I picked it up. It has such a good message for any age and everyone should read it. I found myself not able to put it down and feeling inspired to go against any negative speak and embrace the love of myself. This is a must read!! I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Tanya
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgally and the author for the gifted copy. All thoughts are my own.

A lot of the time when you see body positivity articles/books/posts whatever, it tends to be caucasian females. Every one should feel represented and this book really helps with that. It's full of great info, and is affirming but not preachy which I really appreciated. I'm in my early 30s so I'm not the target demographic but I still found it relatable and relevant.

There are some repeat sentences. I'm not sure if that
Sinamile
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads, arcs
ARC Review: Received for free via Netgalley for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

CW/TW: fatmisia

I think this book is important, especially for your readers. It's one of those books that I wish I had when I was growing up but am glad is existing now. Even as we learn to love the bodies we're in, there is still so much to learn, and books like this one will for sure help us get where we need to!

Hard truth: love that is conditional on how you look isn’t love at all. It’s a
Rain
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I seem to have missed what the focus group for this book was supposed to be, based upon the language. Apparently this is recommended for a younger audience, but I think this book has sound advice for all ages (and all genders, despite having "girls" in the title).

There are some quotes that resonated with me.

"Sometimes our family feels like they have an extra-special gold-plated permission slip that they can use whenever they want to pass judgment on us." I felt this in my gut. I love how she (th
janne
Apr 10, 2021 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: shit-shelf
Misleading title, poorly written, unsupported claims. There are many examples, but I'll only include a few:

1. One large issue with this book is the lack of defining what "fat" and "thin" mean to the author. My interpretation is probably very different from hers and from other people. These are very subjective. For someone making so many arguments using this vocabulary, it is essential to explicitly define their meaning quantitatively. Otherwise, there is very little grounding.

2. For a book with
Elisabeth Swim
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish, wish, wish I had had this book to read when I was younger! Virgie Tovar's Self-Love Revolution is a primer on oppression and self-love as an act of resistance. Through the lens of her own experiences surviving bullying and discrimination related to culture, skin color and appearance, Virgie Tovar lays out the whys, wherefores and how-tos of a meaningful life as a young woman in a gender-biased society.

The thing is, this isn't really just a book. It's a course. It's a program. It's a jou
Rekha
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up, quickly, on a library run last weekend and I'm so very glad I did. It's written for teenagers, but this newly 50 year old woman got A LOT out of reading it. I wish I had had a book like this when I was growing up as a third culture, African-American Asian in the 1980's. Personally I had to get on the other side of 35 to start accepting all the "non-standard" parts of myself fully and without shame. And this book BREAKS IT DOWN and makes the very strong case for SELF LOVE a ...more
Erin
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Graciously received a free copy through first reads.

This author does many good things in this book, but there are also some not so great things.

I teach about self esteem in higher education, so I was excited about reading this book. However, I would say the main focus was for young people who are overweight, I wouldn't give this book to my friend's daughter of color because she struggles with self identity, but not weight issues, so that narrow focus was disappointing.

I'm glad she mentioned mi
Rebecca
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 12-13, 14-15, 16-18
Readers are encouraged to question and reject mainstream beauty standards in favor of body positivity and radical self-acceptance in this fresh, inclusive guide for young woman of color.✨

I’m not big into the self-help genre, but Tovar’s words sparkle among cliched calls to “love yourself.”
💕
With wit, relatable anecdotes, and on-point historical and cultural context, she succeeds in showing exactly how we’re programmed to feel crappy about ourselves and why the heck we shouldn’t.
✍️
Practical
ItsNasB
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm generally not a fan of self-help books as most tend to be stale, repetitive, shallow, inconsiderate and impractical in their rhetoric. This book was not that. One of the main things that sets it apart is the inclusion of things to say or do to change your outlook, lifestyle or approach to loving one's self and to life in general even. She notes the issue, provides context for causation and then gives the reader pragmatic suggestions and solutions.

Virgie did a great job of breaking down more
Amie
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of The Self-Love Revolution from NetGalley for an honest review.

It is an important book for young women (and young men) to read. Topics range from fat phobia, racism, eating disorders and diet culture, marketing toward women in mass media, how to handle trolls on social media, and more. It is a book that will teach young people how to better navigate their normal body issues in the world we live in that is so focused on superficial, quick impressions and instant feed
Arina
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written with boundless wit, this is a wonderfully affirming book that discusses social constructs relating to body image, beauty standards, racism, diet culture, toxic relationships, sexism, self-image, and bullying. It relies on body positivity, self-confidence, solidarity, uniqueness, and empowerment to spread a message of unity and love, for others and for oneself.

It's especially written for young girls of color, but its thesis is one that is universal: that we must love ourselves and suppor
Cynthia Valentine
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for teens! As an adult reader, i was transported back to my youth and couldn't help but wonder how useful hearing these messages of self-acceptance and celebration would have been. Specifically comments on non-white young women and the deconstructs the harmful messages white-marketing has on them. Wonderfully done. Virgie Tovar has a friendly voice and strong message. Get out your yellow umbrellas, and shine on ladies! <3 ...more
R
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awesome book for any colored girl struggling with self love. I'm 25, in a stage of reparenting my inner child, and this book is exactly what my teenage self need to hear.

The messages are very progressive but not in your face if you don't agree with the author on certain ideas. Approaches the topic of self love from a historical and sociocultural perspective and gives very practical advice. ❤️
Jackie
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's weird. I was reading this book with utmost gentleness, as if I was reading this book to my inner child who learned to dislike herself growing up. And as I was reading it a long with her, i cried and remembered how far I have come in learning to love myself as I am. I wish I had this book as I went through puberty. ...more
ilbooks❤
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! It has really helped me personally with finding ways to love myself for who I am. I recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to love themselves and spends a lot of time self-deprecating (like me). :)
Iris Van Den Bergh
Didnt totally finish since not intended target audience but wanted to support author and ideas
Rianna
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Very casual but still impactful and makes you think.
Emily
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!!! It is geared toward young adults and I wish I had read it when I was a teen. Even reading it at 25, it was exactly what I needed to hear in more ways than one.
Jonna
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a foundation for the radical self-love that will change this 🌎.

Had I had this resource of tools when I was a kid, I would have actually loved myself in spite of the hate.
Brittany
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent take on the connections between fatphobia & sexism & racism - would recommend to girls & women of any age!
Great Books

Newton
Jun 04, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Black Book of Poems
  • The Honest Enneagram: Know Your Type, Own Your Challenges, Embrace Your Growth
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • The Anxiety Skills Workbook: Simple CBT and Mindfulness Strategies for Overcoming Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Be Kind: A Year of Kindness, One Week at a Time
  • Your Body, Your Best Friend: End the Confidence-Crushing Pursuit of Unrealistic Beauty Standards and Embrace Your True Power
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • The German Heiress
  • The Perfect Stranger
  • The Voices We Carry: Finding Your One True Voice in a World of Clamor and Noise
  • How to Survive Death and Other Inconveniences
  • Let the People Pick the President: The Case for Abolishing the Electoral College
  • Becoming Ms. Burton: From Prison to Recovery to Leading the Fight for Incarcerated Women
  • The Very Last Leaf