Start by marking “The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health: Navigate an Unequal System, Learn Tools for Emotional Wellness, and Get the Help you Deserve” as Want to Read:

An unapologetic exploration of the Black mental health crisis—and a comprehensive road map to getting the care you deserve in an unequal system.

We can’t deny it any longer: there is a Black mental health crisis in our world today. Black people die at disproportionately high rates due to chronic illness, suffer from poverty, under-education, and the effects of racism. This
Published May 1st 2020 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health

Start your review of The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health: Navigate an Unequal System, Learn Tools for Emotional Wellness, and Get the Help you Deserve
Andrew
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
"The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health" is an important work that highlights the mental health issues that people of African descent living in the US face and the impact it has on their lives. It also provides "tools" that can be used to at least start addressing the problem.

In the UK, Black people are more likely to be diagnosed with psychosis, find themselves in inpatient mental health services, or be detained under the Mental Health Act than White people. This makes the content of th
Kurtis
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Cant recommended any book that looks to christianity as a source of strength and liberation. That is the religion of the oppressors and colonisers. The slave masters used to whip slaves quoting verses from the bible but we'll just leave it at that.

Some good takes and the message is important. Mental health for melanated people has additional layers and complications. I recommend looking to spirituality instead of any religion. Regain your true identity.

The book is obviously geared more towards t
Raymond
Jun 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Colleen Foster
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
All I can say about this book is that it's a must read. If you are looking for ways to improve your mental health then this is a must read. ...more
Ashley Peterson
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To be clear right from the get-go, as a white chick, I’m not the intended audience of The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health by Rheeda Walker. It’s written by a Black woman directed at Black people. However, it also offers interesting cultural insights that are relevant to all audiences.

The author explains that she did a Ph.D. in psychology because she wanted to challenge the privileged assumption that depression in Black people looks the same as in white people.

Throughout the book, she g
Tiyahna Ridley-Padmore
May 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-body
The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health , written by psychologist Dr.Rheeda Walker, is a resource that centres the Black experience to offer reflections, inspiration and practical tools for mental wellbeing.

Ironically, though the book was meant to offer a resource for Black folk struggling with mental health, I did not feel represented in this text. The audience for this book is very narrow, aimed specifically at Black Christian women in their forties living in the United States and stru
Corey Hackett-Greene
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
After avoiding becoming more intentional about my mental health, this book was the perfect read to start the year. Mental health is an intimidating and sensitive topic as a black man. This book helped me unpack a lot of the generational “baggage” that goes undiscussed within our community. I was able to see how at times we contribute towards our own demise by delaying the professional help that we need. We naturally have become a people known to persist, but in doing so we have neglected what al ...more
Anna Marie
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
As advertised, this book is a valuable guide for learning and emotional wellness. I had issues with a few of the sections as well as the way the book is laid out but I will talk about all of those below.

A large portion of the book, especially the first half, is spent identifying and discussing suicide, depression and the heavy toll of navigating in a racist society. It's a heavy read, I had to take it in chunks and then sometimes, take a break. And while all this information is important, this
Dre J
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
This was a decent read to me. It dealt with suicide a lot which was heavy. I lost a best friend to what they said was suicide so that may be heavy for another reader as well. She makes an interesting point about ptsd from somebody dying from suicide. That idea stuck with me. It seems her intent was to write about black people which she did in a lot of areas, but a lot of it seems like she was mostly focusing on black women (referring to the reader as a mom or sister) and that’s cool she’s a blac ...more
Brittany
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great read to start 2021 with! This book is written in a friendly style and is so clearly Black, which is part of what makes it great. Walker uses her training in clinical psychology and her experiences as Black woman to highlight the unique ways in which mental health issues can arise in Black people and in how our community responds. The book centers around identifying, understanding, and working to strengthen your psychological fortitude.

That said, this isn't a "self-help" book. Walke
Antwanette Nicole
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book. It was very informative and straight to the point.
Isayah
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Rheeda Walker, thank you for this amazing and revelatory guide that has helped me tremendously as a young black man. This was everything needed and then some. The tool kit feels limitless now and also holds me accountable to stay in sync for what's to come for research and methods as it pertains to African Americans and others of colors in the Psychology field.

Superbly recommend.
Corey Burton
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
@dr.rheedawalker blessed me with this one!! I love it when there's overlap with my experiences. So just two weeks ago, I purchased my first two Audre Lorde books. Then, as I am reading this one, Dr. Walker quotes Audre Lorde: "Caring for myself is not self indulgence, it is self preservation, and that is an act of political warfare." Pure goodness, but also validation of my purchase of 2 weeks ago.

Then Dr. Walker follows that quote up with this goodness: "maintaining your mind will take aggress
Delvin
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a lot of great tips to increase your psychological fortitude. I took so much from it. The author mentioned many behaviors and mentalities that I can relate to with my family. I also loved that the author recommended several resources to increase the reader’s knowledge on the contributions black people have made to our country and the world.
Edna Elisabeth
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I am well versed in mental health, I learned a few things about myself by reading this book.
Black Bibliophile
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This book could be useful for AA's who are being introduced into mental health awareness and subsequent conversations for the first time. ...more
Amethyst
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This offers accessible and culturally competent guidance for emotional wellness. Dr. Walker uses cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and Christianity (prayer, scripture reading, gospel songs, church attendance) to help readers increase their psychological fortitude (PF).

She starts and ends the book by speaking about suicide (and prevention). She also speaks about a variety of other relevant topics including weathering (without using the term), finding a mental health professional, and reducing n
Tracee
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health gave me exactly what I expected and then some. Black mental health is often overlooked, marginalized, or ridiculed. This book is right on time with providing education and guidance.

I learned many things from this book, such as mental conditions and about the overall state of black mental health. I also had my feelings and thoughts validated. I feel better knowing now it is ok to take a break, to take a black day. Life can be exha
D. Gray
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health is a powerful everyday manual for mental wellbeing. It’s for people, like me, who need encouragement and helpful tools to navigate life as a mother, wife, sister, auntie and friend. I use Dr. Walker’s strategies when friends call with troubling issues or when I’ve had a challenging day and need to check my “psychological fortitude.”

This book is a MUST read! I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to self-improve and learn how to recognize if a lov
whiiiit s
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read the book, a well-being a guide for everyday life for any black person, especially for my African American friends.

Dr. Walker addresses suicide, depression, types of anxiety, racism, oppression, reclamation, therapy, the importance of authentic identity, and certainly finding ourselves.

One of my favorite chapters she devoted to spiritualism and religion, how our culture has been holding us down from generation to generation, and how we need to segregate mental help to prayers.

A credi
Alicia
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audibles
Informative

I’m giving this a 4 star because I was expecting resources and suggestions throughout the book. I got them last 2 chapters of the book. Overall the book brought awareness to Mental Health and how to recognize it. I don’t think I got what I needed out of it because I have more insight into the MH field so a lot of the things that were mentioned, I already knew. I would still recommend to all due to the fact that we or someone we know is/can be affected and this book gives insight on h
Tuan
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book appears to be written for women, besides that I understand the importance of having a strong psychological fortitude (PF). So many relatable stories that Rheeda writes in to help people understand.
Kyron Ryals
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this Booked, additionally I’d love to hear the male side, subjects like dealing with survivors guilt
Rispah
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly stimulating! A must read and a must share✔️
Antione
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book in which I use some of the suggested tools and I'm looking for a Black psychologists now. ...more
Marcus Medley
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a great book but as a man I was not the target audience and some parts were not as relevant as the author intended. I still enjoyed the book though.
AllureEBC
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book 📖 is peeling the layers back that need to be talked about. Sometimes shame or the theory that black people aren’t supposed to feel a certain way overpowers reality. Bottom line is we are human and just because we have endured pain does not mean we are immune to it. A must read & a must share. Highly recommend
Kadi Aguilar
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible! I identified with every topic discussed.
Tyree Leslie
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every black person needs to read this book.
Brittany

• The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot
  • How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“Scientists can say with confidence that racism is bad for Black mental health.” 2 likes
“Be careful about how you hide yourself from people who care. Your hiding could set up a life-or-death situation whereby you are in need and there is no one left to help.” 2 likes