Start by marking “Unexpected Super Spy: Book 2 (Planet Omar)” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Super Spy: Book 2 (Planet Omar)

Unexpected Super Spy: Book 2

(Planet Omar #2)

Welcome back to Planet Omar! The second book in Zanib Mian's laugh-out-loud series, with amazing cartoon-style illustrations from Nasaya Mafaridik. Perfect for fans of Tom Gates and Wimpy Kid.

Omar and his friends have been saving up their pocket money for ages so they can have the world's most epic Nerf Blaster battle. But when Omar discovers that his mosque is in tro

Published February 6th 2020 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected Super Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected Super Spy

Start your review of Unexpected Super Spy: Book 2 (Planet Omar)
Hannah
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Another great book by Mian, I was hooked from front to back. I really like the fact that Omar and Charlie are friends with Daniel (who used to bully them). It shows the reader that you can forgive and put things behind you to build a great friendship. I also think it will encourage children to consider why another child is acting out, do they have something troubling them?

My favourite quotes:

'I think his imagination is getting stronger since we became friends' (Omar referring to Charlie)

'For a
Mehsi
Weer een leuk deel in de serie maar ik vond de zus toch echt een potje zeur.

Een nieuw deel in de Planeet Omar serie en ditmaal een moskee die problemen heeft, vriendschap, een vervelende zus dus, en nog veel meer. Ik heb echt genoten van het boek, het was erg leuk.

Over de zus. Ja, het is niet leuk als je broer je deur platloopt, maar praat dan gewoon normaal met hem. Vertel hem ook eerlijk dat het je hoog zit. En aan de ouders, misschien ook eens nadenken over hoe het is om privacy te hebben. Ju
Mathew
A wonderful following up from Accidental Trouble Magnet. Omar's familial network grows this time through friendship and a small cast of fun, additional characters. This time the local mosque is in danger of having to be closed. With £30,000 pounds to raise in a short time, Omar knows that losing the mosque will deeply affect his parents and his community too so with some help from his friends, they try and plan events that will help bring in the funding.

Mian has a gentle, warm and humorous appr
Alice Bennett
Another great Planet Omar adventure. A relatable and inspiring story for all children to enjoy.
Hareb
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did i rate this book five stars?
- I really liked this book because of the style of writing and how the illustrations looked in the book it made it an easy read

What interested me?
- Omar was praying. He found the imam saying that the mosque will close down, the imam said that they’ll have to raise money to keep the mosque. Omar went to school and sold origami birds and cookies which lead to him gaining the money. At night, he sleptwalk and he hid the money without him knowing and told everyone
Juwi
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
ANOTHER WONDERFULLY WHOLESOME AND PURE AND CUTE AND FUNNY BOOK!!! 10/10 would recommend to EVERYONE but also Omar is just so loveable and his HYPNOTIC SMILE! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽🥰🥰🥰

Loved how he called it the Secret Smile Mosque!

So so so glad This book exists for Muslims as Representation Matters!

Now more than ever children’s books are so important for empathy and reminding us that we are one we are all human and we need to help each other!

All the stars!!! ⭐️🌟💫✨
Lauren Drake
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Zanib Mian - i loved it just as much as the first in this series and was hooked straight from the start. I was so hooked that i found it difficult to put the book down - i just wanted to keep reading. I loved the way the book is told and the font used throughout is fun and exciting which i think will appeal to children. 100% recommend reading this.
Lilyfae
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Planet Omar: Accidental Trouble Magnet for its loving #ownvoices immersion in a British Pakistani family adapting to life in a new town, new school and the ups and downs that brings and I’m so pleased to say that Omar has returned better than ever and with wonderful illustrations returning from Nasaya Mafiridik

You can’t help but love Omar whether he is caught sneaking down to play X-Box after bedtime or giving his mum the most creative (though not necessarily enjoyable) full-sensory spa
Ambiya
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I _teach_muggles
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected Super Spy is the second book in the Planet Omar series and it is just as much fun as the first.

Omar is happy at school with his his best friend Charlie and bully-turned-friend Daniel. They are all looking forward to getting Laser Nerf Blasters so they can have a Nerf battle. Omar has being saving hard and is thrilled to ‘crack-open’ his savings pot and find enough money to buy the Nerf Blaster.

But when the mosque he and his family regularly visit is in danger of closing down, Omar dec
Caitlyn
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Omar adventure. This time Omar and his friends work together to raise money for his local mosque which is in danger of closing down. The adventure takes an unexpected turn when the money they raise goes missing. Omar, Charlie and Daniel have to take on the role of detectives to try and work out who could have stolen the money and get it back before the mosque's deadline.

Reading this book put such a massive smile on my face. I'm not sure I can quite convey in words how perfect this
Jo
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omar and his family are back. And this time they're joined from the start by friends made in the first book. In this book, the mosque is in trouble and Omar is determined to help. He gets together with his friends Daniel and Charlie and plans ways to make money. They do well, but then the money goes missing! Omar turns spy to try to find the thief! Will they find the money in time to help to save the mosque?

Written in an easy to read style with line drawings and fun fonts where appropriate, this
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Omar is so excited to use his saved money to buy a super awesome Nerf Blaster! But days before his big purchase, Omar finds out that his mosque is in trouble. The roof is collapsing, and if the mosque doesn't raise enough money, it will have to close. Omar and his friends work hard to raise money with chores and selling some cool creations, but they think they might have found the best money-making option in a school-wide talent show. They raise so much money, and everything looks like it will t ...more
Amy Carter
After loving the first book, I could not wait to get my hands on the second book! The use of the illustrations/typography would make this book accessible to younger children/children who struggle with reading and I think it also helped the reader to feel like they were inside the mind of Omar and could relate to what he was going through. The humorous nature of the text helped to sensitively touch on issues such as racism, stereotyping and different cultures. I loved the story of this one and ho ...more
Runa Begum
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My nephew who is 9 and I read this book together. We loved this story and now we would like to read the first book of the series 'Planet Omar accidental trouble magnet' by the same author.

Omar is the main character and is a Pakistani Muslim. In this book, Omar's parents encourage him to donate to their local mosque but the money goes missing. Omar and his friends, Charlie and Daniel investigate different people including his sister Maryam to find out who had stolen the money.

This is a great st
Karin
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could have listened to this one too but I still had the narrator's voice from book 1 in my head as I read this one (book 2). Charming and hilarious chapter book about a British Pakistani Muslim boy and his friends and their efforts to raise money to save the local "secret smile" mosque. With line drawings. ❤️ ...more
Libby
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This short chapter book about Omar and his friends is unique because Omar's Muslim religion is very much presented as part of his day-to-day life. I like that "own voices" perspective. But the story itself was not particularly memorable and seemed to try too hard to be cute. An average beginning chapter book.
Review based on an ARC received from NetGalley.
Alison Wickham
SBC3 Summer 2020

This book was a great sequel to the first, bringing just as much fun, nonsense and adventure. The book continues to normalise the reflection of BAME characters in children's books. A perfect reading for pleasure text for the Y3 squirrels.
Carolyn
Apr 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
After book 1, I definitely wanted to read more in this series. Omar is a fascinating character who brings to life the life of a Muslim boy, his family, and his friends. This series helps to dispel many of te stereotypes about Muslims.
Gabby
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After meeting Zanib I was so excited to find out there is a second Planet Omar!!! It’s just as good and keeps the humour and silliness up, while still teaching me so much about religion. The children in my class loved the first one and I know they will love the second one just as much.
Yapha
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great second book in the Planet Omar series! In this one, Omar rallies his friends to try and raise money so his mosque won't have to be shut down. They receive help from unexpected places. Highly recommended for grades 1 & up. ...more
Sabeen
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hamza-s-books
Absolutely loved it! Better than the first book!
Salwa
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Second book, just as good as the first!
UWE Primary English Team
Dan: I was slightly nervous about reading this book as I loved the first one so much, but I'm very pleased to say I loved this one as well!

It's slightly different to the first one which tackles some big issues, but this one is also brilliant in its own smaller focused way! I love the writing and humour that runs throughout the book and Omar is such a great character. I love his relationship with his friends which is perfectly captured across the book!

Hopefully they'll be a number 3!
Veronique Pauwels
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek is opgedragen aan alle kinderen die weleens iets voor iemand doen, gewoon voor een glimlach.

Prachtige quote die op de eerste bladzijde van dit leuke boek staat. Het geeft al direct weer dat dit een boekje met een onderliggende boodschap wordt.

Omar, het hoofdpersonage in het verhaal, heeft een naam die meestal niet aan een Vlaams of Nederlands kind gegeven wordt. Ook zijn huidskleur en zijn donkere ogen en haar bevestigen deze bemerking. Maar wat een leuk gevoel krijg je bij het zien van
Vonprice
Charming, funny “own voices” MG adventure. Read my full review here: https://vsviewfromthebookshelves.home...
Adam

• The Pug Who Wanted to Be A Reindeer
  • The Animals at Lockwood Manor
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold #1)
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Prince: Chapter and Verse—A Life in Photographs
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • The Wild Way Home
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • The Day We Met the Queen: World Book Day 2020
  • A Dog's Guide to Humans
  • Skycircus (The Cogheart Adventures, #3)
Zanib grew up in London, UK. She began writing stories and poetry when she was just a little girl, and was well known by her teachers, friends, and family to rhyme about anything that meant something to her. If you’re lucky, she will allow you to see some of her writing, which she has kept safe for over twenty five years!But you might have to visit her in her little Hobbit house in the Shire to se ...more

Planet Omar (3 books)
  • Accidental Trouble Magnet (Planet Omar, #1)
  • Incredible Rescue Mission: Book 3 (Planet Omar)

News & Interviews