Start by marking “Girls Save the World in This One” as Want to Read:

Girls Save the World in This One

Junes whole life has been leading up to this: ZombieCon, the fan convention celebrating all things zombies. She and her two best friends plan on hitting all the panels, photo ops, and meeting the heartthrob lead of their favorite zombie apocalypse show Human Wasteland.

And when they arrive everything seems perfect, though June has to shrug off some weirdness from other fans
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Philomel Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 14, 2020
    Enter to win an advance copy of GIRLS SAVE THE WORLD IN THIS ONE by Ash Parsons!

(No PO boxes please)

Shaun of the Dead meets Clueless in this hilarious

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2602 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 14 - Apr 13, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Girls Save the World in This One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Save the World in This One

Start your review of Girls Save the World in This One
    Tucker
    Aug 27, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    omg, it's a feminist zom-com..
    someone give this book to me before i explode with desire
    ✨Brithanie Faith✨
    3.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

While there's nothing that I enjoy reading about more than strong female friendship groups- the idea of said friendship group having to save the world from a horde of zombies when all hell breaks loose at the convention they're attending appealed to me even more.

This was a surprisingly quick read (one that was highly appreciated during these uncertain times), and while I didn't end up loving it as much as I was
    Vee_Bookish
    Oct 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
    zombies? gangs of girls kicking ass?

SIGN ME THE HECK UP
    Sara (A Gingerly Review)
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020, physical-2020
    Now this was where I parked my car.

What a fun read! I have so many thoughts & feels about this one... I'll take a few moments to gather my thoughts & draft a review.

--------------

Full review can be found here:

I thought I was ready for this wild ride but I wasnt. Hands down this was one of the funnest books Ive read in a while. I will not stop forcing this into the hands of readers for a long, long time.

Three best friends, June, Imani, and
    Taschima
    Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    "[Zombies] They only want to eat you, They don't want to hurt you, or torture you. Pain is just a by product of how they want your meat. They're not sadistic. They're just hungry.

Zombies are basically human sharks."

Meta fun zombie survival story, in which June's favorite actors in her favorite zombie show HAVE TO SURVIVE THE ACTUAL ZOMBIE OUTBREAK alongside her, full of teen angst/drama and constant danger.

"... and I scream, as loud and I can, because we're here, and I'm not going to let Blair
    rachel ☾
    ... hilarious YA horror comedy set at a local zombie conventionfeaturing a teenage girl gang that has to save the world from a horde of actual zombies.
    Aoife
    Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020e, 2020arc
    Three zombie obsessed best friends find themselves in the middle of a real life outbreak at their long awaited zombie-com.

June, Imani and Siggy are loyal followers of Human Wasteland, a Walking Dead esque series about humans during a zombie outbreak. When Zombiecon, a huge con celebrating all things zombie, arrives in their small town, they're desperate to go. But amongst the panels and autograph opportunities, there are a few strange moments...

What a fantastic book. Funny, serious in the right
    Renata
    Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, ya, arc
    I dug this! I'm into the trend of fandom-themed YA books, and you can definitely tell when authors really "get" fandom. This felt true to me (though as you may know I am NOT a zombie fan), and I also loved its crew of teenage girls working to reconcile their fandom with feminism and social justice. Also, the pain of friendship breakup (and, spoiler, reunion) was well-captured. Not to mention the dream celeb romance!

I still don't really like zombies but the conceit of actual zombies at a zombie
    Sacha
    Jan 21, 2020 added it
    Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I'll post that review upon publication.
    Read by Coco ✨
    Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
    "Shaun of the Dead meets Clueless"

description
    Vanessa
    Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I am in love with this book! I don't get to say that too often. But this book was a rollercoaster ride of action and daring. First off I liked the cover. It was cute. Colorful. Showed three badass looking girls on the cover. You'll enjoy this book if zombies and friendship is your thing.
    Once I started to read the book I really couldnt put it down. I hat to force myself to step away in order to do what I needed (like eat) but then I'd come back again. Finished it in about 4 days since I had lots
    Gulsah
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Read to Review in SLJ
    Judy Beetem
    Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This was such a fun book! Girls Save the World in This One is about friendship in small town Georgia and a Zombie Con gone horribly wrong. June, and her BFFs Imani, and Siggy are looking forward to their first Zombie Con. They are excited to meet the stars of their favorite show, Human Wasteland, which is about a group of people surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. The girls are starting their Senior year and are looking forward to spending time together before the real chaos starts. June is the ...more
    Beth
    Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: ya, horror-paranormal, arc
    I did not care for this book. It had everything I normally love, but this one, I don't know exactly how to phrase it, irked me?

+ Uplifting (by the end) female friendships
    + Diverse representation within fandoms
    + Gore
    + Positive portrayals of women in horror
    + Direct, dialogue heavy text that is great for reluctant readers
    + Great, vibrant cover

-Authentic teen voice? ehhhhh, this sounds like someone who was in high school in the 2000s. I haven't heard the term beffie used in at least a decade. Also
    Alicia
    Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

I first wanted to read this because of the bad-ass Jen Bartel cover, but I am also here for books about bad-ass teen girls. Our story takes place at a zombie-themed fandom convention, where our protagonists and her two best friends (and one FORMER best friend) plan to meet the stars of their favorite tv show and do some zombie-themed shopping. Buttttttt . . . some of these zombie cosplayers seem . . . maybe tooooo realistic? Yup, it's a zombie apocalypse!
    Vinny —.:* Artsy Draft
    Thank you Philomel Books for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Josephine
    Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: newbery-2021

This story didnt work for me. I must admit I am not a teen reader but I review many many YA and MS level books that I greatly enjoy. And I do like watching The Walking Dead." This fact is one of the reasons I requested this title. The TV show is more about people and relationships than about zombies. but there is still a lot of grossness.

June and her friends, have saved up every penny to go to a huge zombie convention, with panels and merchandise and, best of all, appearances by the stars of
    Heather Jones
    Thank you to Philomel, for giving me a digital galley of this book in exchange for my feedback.

I'm going to be completely honest with you, book review readers: I haven't watched "The Walking Dead." It sounded really good, I knew a lot of people whose opinions I respect loved it, but I watched one episode, got to the bit about the horse, and noped right out. So I'm pretty sure that there are levels of this book that whooshed right past me.

With that said... I really enjoyed "Girls Save the World
    Carrie
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: first-reads, teens
    Many thanks to NetGalley for the chance to read this book!

The friendship between the girls reminded me of characters written by Claire LaZebnik and Lisa Lutz. These girls were strong and resourceful and supportive of each other...lovely...I liked the way June looks at the world. Also, Janet O'Shea was a bada**!
    Kristina
    Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    When friends June, Imani, and Siggy get the chance to attend ZombieCon! theyre looking forward to seeing their fave zombie actors but what will happen when ZombieCon! is invaded by real zombies?! This teen rom-com is about some bad a** girls leading the effort to fight off zombies and save the world, its also about relationships and forgiveness. A fun read! ...more
    Rosemary
    Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Okay, imagine you're going to a con where the cast of your favorite zombie-ridden post-apocalyptic show is appearing. You've hit the exhibit hall, taken pictures with the cosplayers, and are just sitting down to a panel with the whole cast... and the zombie apocalypse happens. For reals. That's how it goes down for teens June, Siggy, and Imani, attending ZombieCon! in their little hometown. They're sitting in on a panel with all the stars of their favorite zombie show, Human Wasteland, when all ...more
    Miranda
    Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: young-adult, zombies
    A fun zombie romp in what else? A Zombie con! The characters are fun, if a little 2 dimensional. The action scenes are slightly choppy and I had difficulty following the movements through the building, but overall it was a decent read.
    Michelle Glatt
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: horror
    This fast-paced, plot-driven book was a lot of fun.
    Maria
    Feb 21, 2020 marked it as tbr-fiction
    "Shaun of the Dead meets Clueless "
    description

Carolyn Stover
    Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Quick and fun
    Tim Wadham
    This book would make a fantastic movie. In fact, the book itself reads like a movie. So much so, that a screenwriter would merely have to reformat the text to write the screenplay. I want that job! I do love the plotting, the way all the beats pay off later in the story, and all the characters have well-developed arcs (some of which end prematurely in being turned into Zombies and later killed or electrocuted.)
    Jenn
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: own, arc
    Today is the day that June had been waiting for. She's saved up her pennies in order to afford a ticket to ZombieCon, a convention for all things zombie, but with a heavy focus on her favorite TV show, Human Wasteland. All is going well except for seeing some odd behavior from fellow con-goers who are getting just a little too into their own cosplay. But after they realize that there are actual zombies at ZombieCon, June a d her friends kick into action to save the day.

Girls Save the World in
    McKayla Moors
    Hey y'all! I discuss my thoughts on this book in my February 2020 Wrap-Up video. Feel free to check it out!
    Emily
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Reading this book was the one good thing about my flight from Germany to Chicago.

I mean, I loved this book. It was a refreshing feminist addition to the world of zombies with realistic characters and emotionally complex moments, sure, but it was also FUN! It was just the right balance between goofy and gory, and the cheesy moments felt intentionally so. I mean, it's a love letter to the zombies, the horror genre in general, fandoms, and female friendships; cheese makes sense here! What little

• When We Were Magic
    • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
    • The Vanishing Deep
    • Brown Girl Ghosted
    • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
    • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
    • Raybearer
    • What I Like About You
    • Look
    • The List of Things That Will Not Change
    • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
    • Bent Heavens
    • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
    • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
    • Anna K
    • My Body
    • The One and Only Bob
    • Shadow of the Batgirl
    Ash Parsons has been involved in Child and Youth Advocacy since college. Recently she taught English to middle- and high-school students in rural Alabama. Watching some of her students face seemingly impossible problems helped inspire her first novel, Still Waters. Additionally she has taught creative writing for Troy Universitys ACCESS program and media studies at Auburn University. Ash lives in ...more