Start by marking “Girls Save the World in This One” as Want to Read:
Girls Save the World in This One

Girls Save the World in This One

June’s whole life has been leading up to this: ZombieCon, the fan convention celebrating all things zombies. She and her two best friends plan on hitting all the panels, photo ops, and meeting the heartthrob lead of their favorite zombie apocalypse show Human Wasteland.

And when they arrive everything seems perfect, though June has to shrug off some weirdness from other fan
Published April 14th 2020 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls Save the World in This One, please sign up.
Lisa yes. the zombies are 'real' as is their attacks on our heroic band. not overly graphic descriptions, ok for a teen audience and up, but it's definitel…moreyes. the zombies are 'real' as is their attacks on our heroic band. not overly graphic descriptions, ok for a teen audience and up, but it's definitely bloody, scary horror with some laughs and plenty of deaths thanks to the 'undead walkers'. (less)

Start your review of Girls Save the World in This One
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"Shaun of the Dead meets Clueless"

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I quite enjoyed this one! 😉🧟‍♀️

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Vee
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

In March, my most anticipated read was All Your Twisted Secrets, and I was pretty disappointed. This April, my most anticipated read was this book, Girls Save The World In This One, and again I was disappointed. What I'm saying is, I am absolutely terrible at picking out great books.

This was a cute, fun read that could have been so much better. It was just too cute. The idea of being trapped in a zombie convention center with hundreds of actual zombies shouldn
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
omg, it's a feminist zom-com..
someone give this book to me before i explode with desire
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

While there's nothing that I enjoy reading about more than strong female friendship groups- the idea of said friendship group having to save the world from a horde of zombies when all hell breaks loose at the convention they're attending appealed to me even more.

This was a surprisingly quick read (one that was highly appreciated during these uncertain times), and while I didn't end up loving it as much as I was ho
Stacee
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zombies are my favorite, but throw in zombies at a fan convention and there was no way I was going to skip this story.

I love love loved June and her friends. It was delightful to see three ladies completely supportive of each other, regardless of possible bad decisions and choices. I loved seeing Imani and Siggy through June's POV because her love for them is absolute and unwavering.

Plot wise, it was mostly good. There are a lot of long passages of "doing things" (yes, I know this seems like a
Claude's Bookzone
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Well that was heaps of flesh eating fun! I love zombies and thought having real zombies at Zombiecon was hilarious. One of the strengths of the story was the focus on the friendship between our main characters. Conflicts were set aside as they worked with the cast members of their favourite zombie show to save the day. Zombie apocalypse stories tend to be survival of the fittest situations, but our group of survivors used their collective wits and extensive knowledge of zombie fiction t
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

Zombies & rad female friendship! Wonderful :-)

RTC!!!!
Kate (GirlReading)
I had such high hopes for this book. I mean, it features everything I love: zombies, comic-cons and girl gangs and whilst it was very fun, I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped I would. I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing style and, in general, everything felt very surface level. From the characters, who felt very one dimensional to the relationships to the plot itself. It all felt just ever so slightly underdeveloped.

However, I did have fun with it and overall, it was a very entertaining a
Caidyn (he/him/his)
CW: violence, gore, death, biting and zombies, and just general violence

3.5/5

June, Siggy, and Inami are headed to ZombieCon, a con that's all about zombies and where they might meet people from their favorite TV show. They would have gone with Blair, their other friend, but they're currently shunning her for taking June's boyfriend. Which definitely is causing some issues when she turns up with him.

And then, more than teen drama, actual zombies show up and an outbreak starts. All the con goers a
Bethany
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5

I was hoping that Girls Save the World in This One would be fun and campy with lots of geeky zombie references. And it was exactly that, plus a wonderful story about female friendship, forgiveness, and pushing back on what the world says about you. It's a fun zombie romp with heart, perfect for fans of Geekerella and The Walking Dead.

June has been preparing her entire life for this day: ZombieCon! She and two of her best friends have saved to buy tickets to the event of a life
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-2020, 2020
Now this was where I parked my car.

What a fun read! I have so many thoughts & feels about this one... I'll take a few moments to gather my thoughts & draft a review.

--------------

Full review can be found here:

I thought I was ready for this wild ride but I wasn’t. Hands down this was one of the funnest books I’ve read in a while. I will not stop forcing this into the hands of readers for a long, long time.

Three best friends, June, Imani, and Siggy, are ov
Sacha
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I'll post that review upon publication.

Updated 4/16/20:

Two stars

I was super excited to read this based on the description and comparisons to both _Clueless_ and _Geekerella_, but this really did not work for me.

At the 40% mark, I still felt like everything was moving SO slowly. I didn't need these long passages of waiting in lines with the characters. Also, there is an unnecessary amount of d
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
'Looking at the world sometimes, zombies make more sense than people.'

description

Looking at the world today in this apocalyptic year of 2020, yeah, zombies make a lot more sense. I know about zombies, I know what to expect from them, how to defend against them. But this year? Ha! I know nothing!! So reading this was a relief from unknown horrors by turning to known horrors. It was fun! It made me laugh! Yes, it DOES have moments where logic needs to be mostly thrown out the window, but I needed to not
TL
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
From TheLibrarianBox Apocalyptic Preppers Box for April 2020
---
Taschima
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
"[Zombies] They only want to eat you, They don't want to hurt you, or torture you. Pain is just a by product of how they want your meat. They're not sadistic. They're just hungry.

Zombies are basically human sharks."

Meta fun zombie survival story, in which June's favorite actors in her favorite zombie show HAVE TO SURVIVE THE ACTUAL ZOMBIE OUTBREAK alongside her, full of teen angst/drama and constant danger.

"... and I scream, as loud and I can, because we're here, and I'm not going to let Blair r
Melody
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a pleasant surprise. Love the friendship between the character and it really make me miss Conventions. It's more of a 4.5 I think than a 4. I sort of wanted to read 1 or 2 chapters more in the story.

Love the whole zombie aspect of it. Like the "nods" for the horror fans. This could have easily been one of my favorite books on its release date.

The friendship was so cute.
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I picked up this ARC from my local indie bookstore.

This was a really cute read. The writing is simple but the characters and the friendships really make the book shine. I absolutely adored June and her friends, Imani (whose half-Korean!), Siggy, and eventually Blair. I loved how they were simply teenagers excited to attend their first big con in their somewhat small town. I felt their excitement, too, and am living vicariously through all of them, lol.

A few of the reasons
Beth
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, arc, horror-paranormal
I did not care for this book. It had everything I normally love, but this one, I don't know exactly how to phrase it, irked me?

+ Uplifting (by the end) female friendships
+ Diverse representation within fandoms
+ Gore
+ Positive portrayals of women in horror
+ Direct, dialogue heavy text that is great for reluctant readers
+ Great, vibrant cover

-Authentic teen voice? ehhhhh, this sounds like someone who was in high school in the 2000s. I haven't heard the term beffie used in at least a decade. Also w
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Shaun of the Dead meets Clueless? Yes, please! I didn't know this book was a thing so I'm forever grateful that it was the April YA pick for Mysterious Galaxy Fantastic Firsts!
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Girls Save the World in This One was a really cute read. Three best friends spend the day at a zombie convention (ZombieCon!) which turns out to be the real start to the zompocalypse.

I love the fandom in this book. There's a long set up here for the zombies to arrive, but the set up walks you through what it's really like to hang out with friends at a fan convention.

While there are flesh eating zombies, Girls Save the World in This One is still a great book for those who don't care much for horr
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult / Horror / Humor / Romance
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Author Ash Parsons’ Girls Save the World in This One is being marketed as Shaun of the Dead meets Clueless. The story focuses on June Blue and her best friends Imani Choi, Signe Larsen as well as Blair Whittley who is currently on the outs with June over boy issues. After struggling with her SAT’s, losing her best friend Blair to a boy issue, June just wants to have some fun. Of course, things don’t always go the
Dayla
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was so much fun and had creepy moments. I honestly couldn’t put this book down. I loved the main character and how in her actions, we can see that there’s more to life than the expectations school puts on us.

Also, a big part of me loved the portrayal of friendships; and complexities of when someone lets you down but you still love them. I loved the love interest and how, though it was rushed, I completely understand why it would be. The fangirl in me loved it. A lot.

I don
Sionna
DNF @ 22%

this one is boring to me. Definitely a slower start and not at all what I thought a zombie book would be like. This one feels more like a contemporary book. I thought it was supposed to be funny too, but I think if there are funny moments I'm missing them. There was so, so much repetition about her ex-BFF and Scott just-- I GET IT! I didn't think it needed to be mentioned so many darn times in such a short amount of time.

So, who would I recommend this one to... young to middle teens wh
Deborah
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tayshas2022
I am a huge zombie fan, The walking dead, Zombieland, you name it. This book hit everything: the bond of friendship, girl power, survival. I loved the Easter eggs and implied comments about The Walking Dead and George Romero‘s night of the living dead. This book knocked the socks off of me. June was a serious kick ass survivor.I love the start of the blossoming romance between June and Hunter, the star of the show wastelands, which was a metaphor for The Walking Dead. There were tears and there ...more
Kiara (TheEverythingGeek)
I LOVED THIS SOO MUCH! June is one of the most relatable characters I have ever read about! The female friendships in this book were so strong and badass!! I cant get enough😭🥰🤩
Annabel
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can we make a tv. Series out of this book please??? I loved it so much and it was really bad ass!!! Full review coming soon!
Caro
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
i am SO underwhelmed rn :((
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I started this one yesterday and, because it struck the perfect balance of scary and funny, managed to also finish it yesterday! While there are some slightly gruesome descriptions (it is a zombie book), this was never overly gory or scary. It was heartwarming while also being incredibly entertaining. I’d recommend this one if you’re looking for something fun and lighthearted that doesn’t take itself too seriously!

*Disclaimer: I received an advance digital copy of this book for free from the pub
Emilie Haney
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I thought this was a fun read, it wasn't one that hit me right initially and then spiraled into something I *should* have expected but didn't. All of that to say, this book was entertaining in its own right and will likely thrill fans of Zombie books/movies! One thing to note: it starts out slow (in my opinion) and didn't set me up for what the story really was about (aka: zombies and survival). Then again, maybe this is due to the fact I don't read back cover copy or things like that.

I e
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • My Body
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Animal Noses
  • Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • The City We Became (Great Cities, #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Dilemma
  • Christmas in the City
  • The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
  • Verona Comics
  • The Burning
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Lie With Me
  • SHOUT
  • Dear Sweet Pea (Dumplin', #2.5)
Ash Parsons has been involved in Child and Youth Advocacy since college. Recently she taught English to middle- and high-school students in rural Alabama. Watching some of her students face seemingly impossible problems helped inspire her first novel, Still Waters. Additionally she has taught creative writing for Troy University’s ACCESS program and media studies at Auburn University. Ash lives in ...more