Start by marking “Charge (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charge (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club, #1)

Charge

(Steel Bones Motorcycle Club #1)

Sometimes the things you shouldn’t want are exactly what you need.

Kayla

Life hasn’t been easy. I had my son Jimmy too young, and I want the world for him. But the world? It’s not cooperating. I’m fighting to stay afloat, and my family is waiting for me to fail. I don’t need to be crushing on the criminally hot biker next door. He’s a little too old for me, and he makes me
Published February 2020 (first published July 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charge

Start your review of Charge (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club, #1)
Syndi
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its been a while since I pick up a really good MC romance. When I picked up Charge, I hesitate because the title and the titular character name is just too corky.

And I am so taken back how good is this book. It is not entirely focusing on gritty, dark life of MC romance. Instead it is focusing on how two broken and lonely people come together and fix each other.

The character development and the chemistry develop very well. Instead of cheesy over the top writing, this one is sweet and tender. T
Amanda Steward
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book by this author.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author. I enjoyed this book. A slow burn romance that had great characters and chemistry. The only reason for 4 stars and not 5 was because there were quite a few grammar issues in it. If your looking to start a new MC series check this book out. It’s also on kindle unlimited.
Leigh
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: age-gap, 2-stars, bikers
Charge was an ok read for me. I didn't love Charge at all which rarely happens because he spent a lot of the beginning whining like a child about his ex. The author tried to present him as laid back but to me he was an immature wimp. Kayla although 21 felt a lot younger than that and while I do believe it was mostly due to what happened to her and how her stepmother and father dealt with it. I do wish she had confronted them about the past but I guess it wasn't the right time. The relationship a ...more
Izzie d
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc
It was okay.
The Hero is pretty rough and crude when he is thinking of women.
The heroine is a single mum with a tragic story.
There is some ex drama.
Hero pushing away at first.
I wasn't keen on the Hero reminiscing about his ex all the time, including thinking of when he used to have sex with her and what that felt like even after he has met and is attracted to the heroine.
HFN. I imagine we will see the couples HEA through other books in the series.
Coco.V
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (9/10/2019)! 🎁
Mfred
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-mc, romance
Wow! A surprisingly good, emotionally resonant MC romance!

Kayla is trying her hardest, but life isn’t easy for a 21 year old single mom living on her own with very little family support. Who comes barging into her life but Charge, the biker living next door. He’s into Kayla big time, but when he realizes she has a kid, he runs-- children aren’t easy, and Charge is nothing if not laid back and easy-- but something about Kayla keeps drawing him back.

I really liked this book. Kayla is such an inter
Cheryl
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Wasn't much of a MC book

This was an ok book but wasn't much of an MC book. They ride bikes that's about it. You get a little action in the Epilogue but it's about another character.

Now for Charge and Kayla. I can understand why Kayla is reserved especially after what she's went through and her family is awful. Both of these characters love in their last basically.

The people who made this 3 stars was Boots, Sue and Jimmy.
Julie Callas
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I NEVER WANTED TO BE A BIKER CHICK MORE THAN I DO RIGHT NOW!! Cate Wells' debut novel has vivid and well-defined characters. This is an incredibly moving story of two people lost in their lives who find each other. It's well-plotted, colorfully written and has enough heart to keep you thinking about it later. And from what I've read--this is only the first of what promises to be a very entertaining series. If only-for just one night-I could ride on the back of one of these biker's bikes to their ...more
Victoria Jayne
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good story. The only little bit that I didn't particularly enjoy was Kayla's sexual inexperience. That sort of ruined it for me.

Otherwise, I enjoyed Charge and Kayla's story. Harper was a nice twist, though there was a question I had which may be answered in later books, but Harper says something about "Didn't Heavy tell you.." but they never go back to it...

But overall, great read.
Rogetwhi
This was ok. I didn’t like how we didn’t see much of the story between Kayla & Charge develop. It felt like it jumped around too much. I hated the way Charge talked about Harper. It seemed like he go back to her if she just have him the word. I HATED Harper and I don’t think I’ll continue the series because she’s probably in them. I don’t think I’ve ever ready a character that I’ve hated more. I also thought Charge was weak! I thought he would evolve and he did a little but still too weak for my ...more
Chrissy
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good MC Romance

I’d probably give this book 4.5 ⭐️ if I could.

Charge is the laid back best friend to the MC President and his ex-long term partner is his best friend’s older sister. A few months ago she kicked him out of their fancy house (she’s a lawyer) and since then he’s been splitting his time between the clubhouse and his Pops’ house. He’s 30 years old and living out of boxes.

At this point I have to say how much I love Pops. He’s in a wheelchair having lost both his legs (at different times
Emily
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pages-300-399
Kayla is doing her best to raise her young son Jimmy but it has been hard and she is doing her best to be independent and not under her parents thumb. Moving to a new apartment is part of her plan but having a biker hanging out next door was not part of it.

Charge puts on his charm trying to flirt with Kayla but when he realizes she is a single mom he decides to leave her alone. Problem is he cant stop thinking about her and every time he visits his dad he sees her or her son. His ex has not hel
ImABookAddict
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Too something

Can't put my finger on it but something's missing. Maybe it was the lack of growth in the characters... it seemed as if they did. But it happened so suddenly, I got a whiplash. It had the bones of a good story. It just lacked some sort of meat.

Coherence! Clarity too. There were stuff boiling underneath, driving the characters of the story. You could see them. But they were never fully revealed. So, you couldn't see beyond the box they were all put in.
Maria
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So damn sweet.

I started reading this as a palette cleanser and was sucked in. The is one of the most heartwrenchingly sweet romances I've ever read. Kayla will melt your heart and break it. Charge is exactly the hero she needs and when he shows up, it's freaking awesome.
Robin
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and was glad to see Kayla get some happy after such a rough story.
Nine Cats
I understand that the heroine was very young, had a baby being a baby herself. (view spoiler) I understand that her father and stepmother are a pair of abusive rats who take advantage of a damaged girl. What I don’t understand is why has Charge fallen for her other than the fact that she had it rough and her backside. Not really a foundation to build on. ...more
Uhh hey :)
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author, and I was pleasantly surprised.
I've never been very big on MC books, but I really enjoyed this one.
The main reason, out MF was an average girl! She's not some drop dead, the most beautiful girl in the entire world. She was just an average single mom, she mentions she's got a belly and some thighs. I love this! I get so tired of reading books where, they are both perfectly perfect, not a hair out of place. THANK YOU!
I loved Charge, he was genuinely likabl
Reading
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was charmed. Fresh take on an old trope
Julie Jackson
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wild ride.

I can’t even fathom going through what Kayla has. She needs a real family. Charge is all messed up from his ex and one look at Kayla has him feeling old. I really like the fact that this MC will do anything for its family. Kayla and Charge are in for one heck of a ride. Excellent writing.
Rachel swattridge
Great read

Emotional, gripping couldn't put it down wanted to find out the end and see what happens so happy I did hea and worth the read
Carol
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.75 Stars

Let me say I did like this book. There wasn't much I found annoying or disliked, but there were. I enjoyed the sweetness from the H Charge and most the secondary characters like Pops. The romance between Charge and Kayla was very sweet and a bit tame IMHO. I guess I was expecting something different, but also taking in Kayla's past and inexperience it makes sense and I was okay with it.

My biggest gripe about this book was probably that Kayla came across as way too young. Yes she was on
Sadie
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kayla is struggling to survive as a single mom and everyone is waiting for her to fail except for her trusty best friend Sue. Charge is just a hot complication from next door. Responsible single mothers don’t need men with buns or tattoos or MCs. Charge has no all the intention to stay far away from the adorable single mother with the peach-shaped booty who lives next door to his Pops - but following through on that is harder than he thought it would be.

This book is awesome. Start to finish. Ju
TeriD
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Charge despite the man bun

Kayla is a single mom whose story is pretty heartbreaking (her parents should be horse whipped). She's so young but she's doing everything she can for her little guy, Jimmy. Props to the author for writing a six year old like a freaking six year old!!! He was too adorable!! Anyway, Kayla catches the eye of Charge, her next door neighbor. Charge was a little freaked when he realizes that she's a young mom but he slowly comes around. Pops was a great supporting c
Mirtie Raczo
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great Start

I liked this book. It's well written and has good storytelling. The characters are fully developed and all of them are someone interesting that you would like to get to know. Charge and Kayla are an unlikely couple but they have chemistry that draws you in. Kayla's son, Jimmy, is the kind of kid you fall in love with and his relationship with Charge's father is so sweet. Kayla's relationship with her best friend Sue is special. And, of course, there's Charge's ex, Harper, who you hate
Elzeth
Mar 11, 2021 rated it liked it
I mostly liked it

The story was a good read, I thought it had a decent mix of ‘MC life’ and romance. I liked Charge’s odd father and the times he would reminisce about growing up. I did think I could have enjoyed meeting more of the club and having them more involved in the story. To me they appeared more in his thoughts than in interaction with Charge.

The FMC wasn’t quite believable. I can’t put my finger on exactly why, but her character didn’t work for me. Also, I was so completely bored by al
Reggie
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Falling for the single mom

Kayla has had a rough life but she will do anything to keep her son, including put up with her mentally abusive father and stepmother. When she meets Charge, she has mixed feelings...she is attracted to him but she is afraid of the consequences of getting involved with a biker, and an older guy. Kayla is 21 to Charge’s 31...she was a teen mom at 15. The story surrounding her pregnancy is heartbreaking, including the way that her father and stepmother treated her. In spi
R. Beach
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Djg
I don't want to spoil but possible trigger for rape. Not on page, but referred to.

Single mom Kayla and her 6 year old son Jimmy have moved into a new (less expensive) place, she meets Charge who checks in frequently with his disabled dad who is her neighbor.

Loved Kayla, Jimmy, Charge, Kayla's best friend and Charge's dad. Sometimes it felt like I may have missed an earlier book the way characters and events were spoken of but I checked and this is the first. Also, I really needed more conversati
Lynne Garlick
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read

A new to me author and I really enjoyed this story. Kayla had had it rough, you just don't realise how tough until she spills her story to Charge. By which time he is in deep and ready to end those who hurt her.
But she is a fighter too, she has Jimmy, her son and is barely getting by but she is determined. And with Charge, his Pops and brothers behind her, she may finally have the family she wants.
It's not going to be easy though, the family that is supposed to love and protect her no
Eleanor
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-mc, 2010-2019
4 Charge Stars

Cate C Wells is a new author to me and I was delighted to charge right into this series and get to know this new MC.

Charge has paid his dues to his MC and now he just wants to get on with his job. He works hard and plays harder. After being dumped it's time for him to play the field.

Kayla is out to prove that she is well capable to raise her son Jimmy without any help. She may be young but he is her world and she will do anything for him. So why is she so attracted to her new ne
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Riggs' Ruin (Kings Reapers MC, #1)
  • Brood (Hell's Riders Rhino Chapter, #1)
  • Cobra (Reapers MC, #8)
  • Cage (Dead Souls MC: Prospects #1)
  • Reclaimed: Boxset (Devil's Riot MC #1-3)
  • Kade (Reapers MC, #5)
  • Camden (The Henchmen MC, #18)
  • Mixed with Trouble (Cash Bar, #6)
  • Claiming Mine (Unforgiven Riders MC, #1)
  • Stone (The Lost Boys MC #2)
  • Preacher (The Untouchables MC, #5)
  • Texas (The Lost Boys MC #1)
  • Splintered Hearts: Harper & Kain's Story
  • Harrison (Devil's Flame MC Book 4)
  • Tink's Salvation (Satan's Sinners MC, #9)
  • Blade (The Devil's Reapers, #1)
  • Gabe and Ian (Savage Kings MC, #11)
  • Corey (Devil's Flame MC Book 5)
Cate C. Wells is the author of the Steel Bones Motorcycle Club and Stonecut County series. She writes gritty, real, emotionally satisfying romance. She’s into messy love, flaws, long roads to redemption, grace, and happy ever after, in books and in life.

Along with stories, she’s collected a husband and three children along the way. She lives in Baltimore when she’s not exploring America with the

Steel Bones Motorcycle Club (6 books)
  • Nickel's Story (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club #2)
  • Scrap (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club, #3)
  • Plum (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club #4)
  • Forty (Steel Bones Motorcycle Club, #5)
  • Dizzy